PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Class cancersuckschicago.com 2nd Annual Cooking class/fundraiser

Scottie
12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Looks like we will be having our 2nd Annual cancersuckschicago.com competition cooking class/fundraiser on February 4-5th, 2011. This class will be in Westmont, IL and will cover all aspects, techniques and flavors for a successful and award winning BBQ. This year from our February class, we were able to raise over $13,000 for cancer research. :clap2: Many of our students went on to win multiple Grand Championships and Reserve Grand Championships from the contests that they competed this year. If they want to speak up about the class, I'll let them do that.

The class will be on a KCBS timeline. We will once again have a very special guest instructor this year. The 2010 KCBS TOY and the 2010 Jack Daniel's World Champion, Mike and Beth Wozniak of QUAU. I do not have the Applications done yet, but mark your calendars and I will have the apps ready by next week. I'll also post something here and on my Facebook page. (My website is under construction) I just need to iron out a few minor details and the application will be complete.

We will have special rates at a local hotel and will also provide dinner and breakfast at the class. We will also provide a goody bag that is filled with products from sponsors, BBQ companies and from my BBQ team.

So mark your calendar for those dates! The class will have limited seating and I am figuring we will fill the hall this year with students. By the interest so far, we are already over 10 students signed up, so I would get your reservations in as soon as possible.

A portion (last year it was $250) of the class fee will be a tax deductible donation to our foundation for the students. Our foundation, in memory of my wife Corliss, raises money for cancer research and to assist those that are effected by cancer. All monies raised will be for the benefit of the foundation. So I want to thank Mike and Beth for their donation of time and expertise.

Hope to see you there!

Cancer Sucks!

Scottie
cancersuckschicago.com

ps We have nicknamed the class Jacks are better!!! :thumb:

Also if any companies want to donate product for the goody bags and get some good advertising, contact me.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96367

4 smokin butts
12-02-2010, 02:22 PM
cindy and i took the class last year, enjoy it very much....i highly recommend this class.we gained alot of knowalge and ways to tweek our own metheds. besides this is a great cause to be part of. dennis

monty3777
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I took this class last year and loved it. Both Scottie and Mike are great teachers and it was an honor to attend. Though I won't go into specifics the things I learned at this class helped me finally get a 1st in a category (chicken in Shannon, IL). I'm not the best cook in the world, but I don't suck anymore :)

If the schedule works I'll be bring my wife with me this year!

I should also say that this class helped me finally decide to get an FEC 100 stickburner (really small sticks). If you have an idea that you'd like to get an FEC but need to see one in action, and you are also planning on taking a class this would be a great one to take.

Bones
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I took this class last year and learned alot. If you are looking for a start to finish class this is the one to take. It covers everything, prep,woods, timing, temps, brands of meat, spice, sauce and boxing. If you are experienced at competitions it will help you tweak what you are currently doing. The whole CSC team was at the class along with Mike and Beth.

I have had calls at comps but never 1st place. This year I received my first 1st place call. It was in Ribs at Shannon IL. I can not remember my score exacly but it was a 177 or 178. That is as close to a 180 as i have ever been.
So now you know that 1st places in chicken and ribs at Shannon came out of Scotties class. I know many others received calls at Shannon as well. Maybe they will post something.

Not sure about breakfast and lunch for 2011 but last year in was catered by Uncle Bubs and was great.(dont shoot me for this Scottie)

All in all this is a great class and I highly reccomend it.

Chris McCluskey
Bartlett Boneheads

Scottie
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow... well Thanks for the kind words guys. Sure do make a guy blush. When going in to these things you always winder if knowledge will be gained. I am the happiest Guy at a contest when a graduate beats my ass... and it happens a lot!!! ;)

Yes Chris, Uncle Bubs will be catering the dinner and breakfast again.

The emails and PM's sure do humble a feller. I appreciate the interest and kind words.

I don't do this for any monetary gain, I do it for the love that I have for my wife and not wanting anyone else to have to go through the heartaches that my daughters and me have had to go through.

Cancer Sucks!

Just Pulin' Pork
12-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Any idea how much it will cost for the class?

Rich Parker
12-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I took the CSC class before the start of my rookie season. The material i learned there helped me get 4 top ten overalls out of 6 comps including a RGC. I didn't go to Shannon, so i didn't win any individual categories this year but got a couple of 2nds and multiple top tens.

I was so very proud to be apart of a class that raised $13k for the Corliss Johnson memorial fund.

trohrs123
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Scottie
Just wanted to let you know how much I learned from your class earlier this year. We had no RGC calls last year and this year we had 3!!! We also took 1st place Ribs and 3rd place brisket at the Safeway BBQ bash in Washington DC with... some pretty stiff competition...as you know, you were there!! We also took RGC at Wildwood NJ and won the Kingsford Challenge $1000.00 giant check. Highly recommend your class to those that want to step up their game.
Tim Rohrs
T'N'T Dynamite BBQ Team

Smokin Mike
12-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Please keep us updated, I would love to go to your guy's class. I would be happy to donate extra just for the cancer fundraiser.

Thanks Scottie!

Q-Stream
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I took Scottie's class earlier this year and can't say enough good things about it. Even though I'm not currently competing, I was lined up to cook with a team at Rockin' Ribs and wanted to learn as much as I could about how to do things right.

I was not sure how well a CBJ would be received at a comp cooking class, but Scottie and Mike couldn't have been nicer. They covered just about everything from A to Z and answered everybody's questions completely (and patiently).

I learned more about trimming and prepping all the comp meats in this class than I had in all the youtube videos put together (more than I can count). I was glad I brought a big pad of paper with me, because I filled up way more pages of notes than I expected to.

The price for the class is well worth it, expecially considering how much of the cost goes to the foundation for cancer research. If any CBJ's or part time cooks want to vastly improve their own smoking skills, gain a greater appreciation for all the effort and skill that go into competing, and feel comfortable in the class, this is the one to go to.

The food was great, the information presented was fantastic, the class was a lot of fun, what more could you ask for?

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

slowerlowerbbq
12-03-2010, 10:14 PM
MIght just have to make the drive out for this one. And for such a great cause!

quarters69
12-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Scottie, we plan on coming, when do you think your apps will be ready? What is your limit on people? Keith / EAT MOR BUTT BBQ :thumb:

swamprb
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
How far from Chicago is this? Do I PM you for the info, or is there a link?

Scottie
12-04-2010, 01:09 PM
We're about 25 miles from downtown. About 20-25 minutes from both airports. Just waiting on one more confirmation and we're good to go. Got a nice hook up at the hotel we stayed last year, so there is a nice group rate for rooms and suites.

Thanks for the PM's and all the interest. Will have the application for folks this week. After my attorneys look at it... ;)

Scottie
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Sorry for the delay on getting the applications out. I am just waiting on the Park District contract to come back. I'd hate to announce and then I don't have the hall. They promise me that I will have it by Wednesday the latest. Thanks everyone.

Scottie

quarters69
12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Scottie, i sent u an email, check it out and get back with me, about bbq class, thanks keith

Scottie
12-10-2010, 11:12 PM
The cancersuckschicago.com.com class is set for 2/5-2/6. This is a fundraiser for cancer research. Join special guest Mike Wozniak at the class. Applications are on the website.

Hope to see you there!

Scottie

Smokin Mike
12-11-2010, 10:13 PM
It's 504 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses, and I really want to go to this!

indianagriller
12-11-2010, 11:43 PM
im going to try and scrape together the cash for this... so close to the holidays, Scottie you take a payment plan lol.

trueque
12-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Registration is on its way.

slowerlowerbbq
12-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Payment and registration sent. Cant wait for this class!!

White Dog BBQ
12-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I'll be there. Just booked the flight, reg form is out. Can't wait!

jbrink01
12-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Payment going in today. I'll be there!

Scottie
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks to those that have signed up. Sure does make a cold weekend a little warmer... :thumb:

swamprb
12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Where is the link to the apps?

Scottie
12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
http://cancersuckschicago.com/download/cooking_class_registration_1.pdf

Ken V
12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Cant wait!! Registration and money sent in Sat. and just made the hotel reservations.

Ken

crd26a
12-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Payment sent via paypal this morning, will be sending in form soon. Can't wait!

Scottie
12-16-2010, 09:31 AM
The Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation is proud to announce that we have had our best year of collecting funds in our 7 year history! This year we will be making donations of $40,000 for cancer research and to assist those that are fighting cancer. It sure does humble us that we have been able to last as long as we ...have and to continue to increase our amounts each year. To date, we have raised almost $200,000 dollars! Just stupid kind of numbers.

Thank you for all the support!

The Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation and cancersuckschicago.com
Scottie

Rich Parker
12-16-2010, 09:55 AM
That is amazing. Thanks to you and your family for running the foundation.

---k---
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Scott,

Impressive efforts. :thumb:

I don't have any interest in competing, but I am local and interested in learning. Do you think this would be a good class for someone just starting out, but not competing?

Thanks

Rich Parker
12-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Scott,

Impressive efforts. :thumb:

I don't have any interest in competing, but I am local and interested in learning. Do you think this would be a good class for someone just starting out, but not competing?

Thanks

Absolutely!!

I attended last year and didn't have any interest competing either. I was so intrigued with competition BBQ after the class that i entered my first comp two months later. :becky::becky:

---k---
12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
You know, my wife would say that is a good reason NOT to take the class. :wink:

Scottie
12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Rich is being humble as well...

The first class we had backyarders,CBJ's and a former Chicago Bear. I had to stand on a parking stop so I felt more on his size... ;) honestly, these classes are what you want to get out of them. So would you have the opportunity to gain knowledge? My quick answer is yes.

Scottie

---k---
12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Payment and application just sent. I'm looking forward to it.

Scottie
12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
got it Ryan.

See you there!

Rich Parker
12-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Rich is being humble as well...

The first class we had backyarders,CBJ's and a former Chicago Bear. I had to stand on a parking stop so I felt more on his size... ;) honestly, these classes are what you want to get out of them. So would you have the opportunity to gain knowledge? My quick answer is yes.

Scottie

You know i forgot about the former Chicago Bear. Have you heard from him or know if he is still cooking? He was a super nice guy.

Scottie
12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
I still talk with Fred. He'll be competing in a year or so... Waiting for his kids to get a little older.

DMDon
12-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Scottie, I will be sending mine in shortly. Is there anyone else from central Iowa attending? I would like to carpool over.

NRA4Life
12-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Sent mine in last week. Looking forward to it.

pat
12-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Scottie, I will be sending mine in shortly. Is there anyone else from central Iowa attending? I would like to carpool over.

Don I am going and will be carpooling with an "unnamed" brother so I would imagine we will have room for you if interested.

Scottie
12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
There's a few signed up so far. Pat is on it sounds like.

DMDon
12-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes, I am interested. Will I need to wear a blindfold or will the "unnamed" brother be in disguise to protect their indenty?

Don I am going and will be carpooling with an "unnamed" brother so I would imagine we will have room for you if interested.

pat
12-21-2010, 01:20 PM
The blindfold will work but you'll have to leave it on during class ;)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

crd26a
01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Top for a good cause, also, anyone coming in "early" Friday night? I'll be flying in from Dallas from a client and if there's interest in dinner out, I'll make sure I make it in early enough. Anyone?

Scottie
01-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Been some good response so far and seats are filling fast. Looks like it will be a sell out of seats. Quite a few Brethren will be coming as well. For those that have signed up, I'll be getting an email out to confirm the application was received.

Scottie

trueque
01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
How many seats constitutes a class? Just curious.

Scottie
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I could get 75 in there, but won't do that. Currently, I am planning on 40 and that's what is filling up fast. ** I will say that I am holding some seats for some folks.

Scottie
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
So far we have cooks coming from Illinois, Delaware, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Virginia, Ohio, New York, Minnesota and Indiana. Oregon is on the list and so is Arkansas, just waiting for the mail on those one's... Just amazing folks...

White Dog BBQ
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I knew this would happen.

I signed up for the class, and best flight coming home Sunday doesn't land until 7:15. Super Bowl kickoff is at 6:30. AND MY STEELERS ARE IN THE SUPER BOWL!!!

Scottie, all I'm going to say is your class better help me get a GC this year. :-)

Scottie
01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Here is a tip. .. Tivo!

crd26a
01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Or fly out Monday morning. I'll be hanging in Chicago until then

BBQchef33
01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Im coming in Friday at 3PM to Midway.

Wheres that eye-talian beef sandwich place!?

Scottie
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
The closest is Johnny's Beef, 675 N. Cass, Westmont. About 3/4 mile from hotel. Another is Scooby's Red Hots (awesome fresh cut fries) 4319 Prince St, Downers Grove. About 3 miles from hotel. Basically Ogden and Main St.

there is also a beef place in Midway, in case you can't wait to get to the hotel! I think that is a Gold Coast Dog?

trueque
01-26-2011, 01:51 PM
It's going to be a FULL day on friday traveling around Chicago!

Scottie
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
One thing about Chicago. there is a ton of different kinds of food to eat. Foodies paradise. Probably why I am such a fatass...

BBQchef33
01-26-2011, 02:26 PM
i say we all meet at a chicago style pizza joint, preferably malnatis, and tell them how they dont know real pizza. Then edumacate them on the difference between Bisquick and pizza dough.

(Dont bother disputing this... its coming from the streets of NY. There is NO DISCUSSION. Yew got a problim wit dat? Tawk to the Don).

Scottie
01-26-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't eat deep dish.. I don't know of too many Chicagoans that do. We leave all that crap for the tourists!!! :becky: Now beefs, we rock. I know Phil is capable of eating about 20 Philly steaks, I am betting he won't get that many beefs down! They are more filling...

BBQchef33
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
i wont even try for the philly run... the beefs are definitely not in the same class as a cheese steak.. may be good for 2... 3 if we spread them out.. :)

willkat98
01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't eat deep dish.. I don't know of too many Chicagoans that do. We leave all that crap for the tourists!!! :becky: ...

LOL, I can't count how many times I've said this before. How true.

And Phil,

Malanatis isn't even the real deep dish crap, its only a pan pizza.

:razz:

BBQchef33
01-26-2011, 03:00 PM

And Phil,

SEE! Even HE doesnt know the difference. :becky:

Scottie
01-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I am assuming like last year in Philly, everyone will be sending text pictures to Jorge of anything you eat. Especially Italian Beefs!!! I know it really made him feel like he was there with us... Minus the drool on the phone... Of course if anyone needs his cell phone to send the pictues, just let me know. He will appreciate it... :thumb:

I don't know anyone that eat those things Bill. I give a couple of local names like Connie's or giordano's, but I would feel bad having people go to the city and not enjoy them at Gino's East or Pizzario Uno.

Stoke&Smoke
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM

And Phil,

Not a fan of deep dish either, WAY too heavy! But Bill, isn't Malnatti's the one that puts the giant sausage frisbee in theirs? I want to say I saw a tv show on it a while back.

Scottie
01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I turned in Malnati's when I went to Lake Placid. They thought it looked like crap.. Gave me 7's, which I can understand.. but then they gave me all 9's and a few 8's for taste, etc. But Malnati's does have the solid sausage patty...

quarters69
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Scottie, is your class full??

Scottie
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Wow... just got a few more. There are only a few seats left and will have to cut it off. Never thought we could sell it out. Amazing.
mid you want in, email or PM me immediately so I can reserve a spot.

BBQchef33
01-27-2011, 01:32 AM
i have a 7:50 non stop flight out. Which means i get to watch the superbowl at the airport. gets me home around 10:30.

tried to change to a 330 flight..

flies to NY thru orlando. Gets me home at 930.. and houre sooner... but 6 hours travel, as opposed to 2.5... no thanks. Hope midway is comfortable. :)

Spydermike72
01-27-2011, 09:11 AM
We will be getting into town right around dinner time, or a bit earlier. Is there a Friday night meet up ?

I am down for some Italian Beef's, it has been way to long!!

Scottie
01-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I haven't set anything up for Friday. I'll probably be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.... :tsk:

but we have a few beef and hot dog places that are close. deep dish pizza if you want it. My pizza (thin crust) better than that cardboard that they sell in NY :becky:, is right across the street from the hotel. Rosati's and just ask for it well done. Makes the crust nice and crisp...

slowerlowerbbq
01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
We're coming in Friday around noon and leaving Monday morning, so we're looking to maybe "get into some trouble" Friday and look for somewhere to go watch the game on Sunday. Gotta get some sleep Saturday night though.

And what are these "beefs" you speak of (sorry never been to Chicago or the midwest), they sound mighty tasty. Might have to grab some of those on Friday for lunch!!!

...Nevermind...I found it:
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/italian_beef.html

crd26a
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm landing at 7:45 at ORD on Friday and would be up for something later that night and also staying for the Superbowl, flying out Monday. Let me know.

Scottie
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Italian Beefs are a Chicago Tradition. They are sliced beef, very thin, on a crusty bread, served with giardiniera, sweet peppers. I'd recommend a combo (with Italian Sausage), wet, with hot. thank me later... Oh and don't forget to send Jorge pictures! :becky: Also, if you order any hot dog in Chicago, DO NOT ORDER IT WITH KETCHUP!!!! You will be shot.... :boxing:

Closest to hotel (about 3/4 mile away) is Johnny's Beef. They also have good hot dogs as well.

http://www.johnnysbeef.com/

Scooby's Red Hots. For Chicago Style Hot Dogs and Italian Beefs, about 3 miles from hotel. Real good hand cut fries as well

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&cp=13&wrapid=tljp1296149419839018&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=scooby's+red+hots&fb=1&gl=us&hq=scooby's+red+hots&hnear=Chicago,+IL&cid=14520637283931940262

If you don't have any place to watch the game Poobah, you can come over to my house. I won't be watching the game.. Don't really like the teams... It's a Chicago thing... More than likely, I will be passed out by 6:00 after doing the class though... :doh:

Rich Parker
01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
The hotel last year was close to a White Castle. Delicious!

Scottie
01-27-2011, 11:47 AM
They knocked over the WHite Castle's!!! A new Walgreens is going on that spot.... I have stock in Walgreens and I hate them. White Castle's are the bomb. OK, maybe that's how they make me feel... Like a bomb...

slowerlowerbbq
01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Also, if you order any hot dog in Chicago, DO NOT ORDER IT WITH KETCHUP!!!! You will be shot.... :boxing:

A hot dog with ketchup? :icon_sick That's just plain disgusting and you should be shot! Almost as bad as having a cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz :boxing:

Scottie
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I do like wiz wit. Although, I like roast pork, provalone and broccoliraab (sp?) the best...

Man, I might have to make a detour to Philly on my way to Delaware...

slowerlowerbbq
01-27-2011, 12:35 PM
I do like wiz wit. Although, I like roast pork, provalone and broccoliraab (sp?) the best...

Man, I might have to make a detour to Philly on my way to Delaware...

Ah yes, that would be called a Porkette(as we call it) or Porchetta, they are AWESOME! In fact, I just ate one for lunch...without the broccoli raab though. Coming to Delaware? I can point you to the best Porkette in the state.

Ioannoni's (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS352US352&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=ioannoni%27s+delaware&fb=1&gl=us&hq=ioannoni%27s&hnear=Delaware&cid=3394541184883104557)

Scottie
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Well, I might have to give you some money to bring me 20 down to Middleton... ;) I'm not sure what I would eat on Saturday though...

Ah yes, that would be called a Porkette(as we call it) or Porchetta, they are AWESOME! In fact, I just ate one for lunch...without the broccoli raab though. Coming to Delaware? I can point you to the best Porkette in the state.

Ioannoni's (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS352US352&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=ioannoni%27s+delaware&fb=1&gl=us&hq=ioannoni%27s&hnear=Delaware&cid=3394541184883104557)

Scottie
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Only one seat left for the BBQ class. It will be gone today...

Jorge
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I am assuming like last year in Philly, everyone will be sending text pictures to Jorge of anything you eat. Especially Italian Beefs!!! I know it really made him feel like he was there with us... Minus the drool on the phone... Of course if anyone needs his cell phone to send the pictues, just let me know. He will appreciate it... :thumb:

Can't wait to see you:twisted:

Scottie
01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Uh oh...

figured you weren't monitoring this thread... :becky:

El Jefe in 2012!!!!

trueque
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Is there a Friday night meet up ?

I am down for some Italian Beef's, it has been way to long!!

I am up for a Friday night meet up. It would be nice to meet more Brethren. I will be in the hotel bar after 8pm or so unless something else is organized. Seems like the best place to drink and not drive.

PM me to exchange contact info.

Scottie
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
for those that were trying to get a hold of me... I took a dump... My in-box is feeling much better, thank you...

Jorge
01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Uh oh...

figured you weren't monitoring this thread... :becky:

El Jefe in 2012!!!!

El Jeffie in 2012, Ci!:becky:

Scottie
01-27-2011, 04:38 PM
El Jeffie in 2012, Ci!:becky:

That's funny... Probably wouldn't even take that much to recycle your button... Although, my girls are quite fond of wearing it, because it's Jorge's button... I'd hate to disappoint...

Jorge
01-27-2011, 04:57 PM
That's funny... Probably wouldn't even take that much to recycle your button... Although, my girls are quite fond of wearing it, because it's Jorge's button... I'd hate to disappoint...

I think I can help them get over that issue:becky:

slowerlowerbbq
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
So uh...who ordered the storm of the century to hit Chicago right before this class? WTF??? I think we might have to seriously considering dumping our airline tix and driving the 14 hours. Would be better than sitting in Philly airport all day waiting for a flight out.

Ah well, nuff of my whining. Stay safe Scottie and all that are coming to the class, see ya on Saturday!

Cue's Your Daddy
01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Hope flights are ok. I am flying in Saturday morning. I thought i heard they are having a heat wave in chicago at end of week. mid 20's

Scottie
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Come on guys.. This is Chicago, not New York.... :becky: We clear our snow. We've had mayors lose elections because of snow removal or lack thereof...

we'll be up to the 30's for the weekend. shorts weather!

Spydermike72
01-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah we can handle all of that snow up here in the Upper Midwest!! We are leaving Friday morning for the short 6 hour drive!!

trueque
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm bringing my speedo for the polar bear swim! :-)

White Dog BBQ
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Wow, just heard American Airlines suspended operations at O'Hare for the first time in years. Good news is this stuff should stop by the end of tomorrow, so hopefully flights will be mostly back to normal by Friday evening for my trip out.

I suspect all the snow will put a damper on my city exploring on Saturday.

EDIT: Just saw O'Hare closed. Wow!

---k---
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Im coming in Friday at 3PM to Midway.

Wheres that eye-talian beef sandwich place!?

I hope the weather doesn't screw you all. We're several days away, so all should be good. Chicago knows how to deal with snow (usually).

For Beef, I REALLY like Teddy's on Plainfield in Darien. A real hole in the wall with eastern European staff. My Father-in-Law always makes me bring two 1lb frozen containers home. It's in Darien, but that is within spitting distance.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=737+Plainfield+Rd+%23+2,+Darien,+IL+60561-4280+(Teddy's+Red+Hots)&aq=&sll=41.759532,-87.962379&sspn=0.151611,0.282555&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=737+Plainfield+Rd,+Darien,+DuPage,+Illinois+ 60561&z=16

For Pizza, there are actually very few good places to go and sit down at; all the good places are carry out only. If it's midnight and you're looking for carry out, Zazzo's pizza is the biggest thing my wife and i miss since we moved 12 miles west 6 years ago. Again in Darien, but they should deliver that far. Oh, and it is Chicago thin crust. Chicago thin crust rules (as opposed to NY floppy cardboard thin crust crap). The original Uno's and Malnatti's are great, I love them, but only once in a while. Gino's and Giordano's, etc. is crap. Chicago Thin Crust once a week in our house.

Cue's Your Daddy
02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I am so psyched for this class. I actually moved my flight up to friday evening so weather will not be an issue to get in. Wife wasnt to happy with the extra charge but hey, she doesnt understand. Going to be awesome.

Scottie
02-03-2011, 10:02 AM
the streets in my town are clean and salted. Everything in the Chicagoland area will get cleared today. Unless you live on the sidestreets in the city...

Saturday and sunday look warm enough for shorts and the Crocs... BBQ weather.

I'll be getting to the Senior Center around 1:00pm if folks are out and about. I'm sure we can put people to work... ;)

See everyone on Saturday.

crd26a
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I'll be getting to the Senior Center around 1:00pm if folks are out and about. I'm sure we can put people to work... ;)

Sounds like a good plan to me

Cue's Your Daddy
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Anyone flying into midway friday night that wants to share a cab?

trueque
02-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Planning on it. Will work for Bloody Mary's!

BBQchef33
02-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Im arriving around 3 friday and heading to hotel. Ron_l, Divemaster, Ramona, and possibly Stoke&Smoke and Shot Fairy are coming up friday night to go to dinner.

Rumor has it thers good mexican, or deep dish places right on Ogden near the hotel. Heres a callout to all otrers heading to the class for a get together friday night to stuff our faces. Anyone interested?

pat
02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Damn! Knew we should have come in Friday night! Have a great dinner and sorry to miss the fun.

crd26a
02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Heres a callout to all otrers heading to the class for a get together friday night to stuff our faces. Anyone interested?

I probably won't make it in time for dinner (7:45 arrival at ORD) and staying up the road at a Marriott, but would love to get together with anyone hanging out that night. I know Michael (trueque) and I had talked about the hotel lobby bar, but def. interested wherever the gang is headed.

NRA4Life
02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Won't be in until Saturday around noon, but I'm looking forward to meeting other Brethren this weekend.

Ken V
02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I'll be coming in Friday afternoon around 3. Would love to get together.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

trueque
02-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Landing at Midway at 11:50am on Friday and have planned to hit a couple of places for lunch. Not sure that I will be ready for dinner, but will definitely be at the Clubhouse bar after 8:00pm for all interested.

White Dog BBQ
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm landing at ORD around 7:15 PM. Probably grab dinner in my own and meet some guys down in the hotel bar.

Spydermike72
02-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Im arriving around 3 friday and heading to hotel. Ron_l, Divemaster, Ramona, and possibly Stoke&Smoke and Shot Fairy are coming up friday night to go to dinner.

Rumor has it thers good mexican, or deep dish places right on Ogden near the hotel. Heres a callout to all otrers heading to the class for a get together friday night to stuff our faces. Anyone interested?

Count me in for 2, Bavarian Smoke will be with me. We should be at the hotel around 5-6pmish...

I think Dive has my cell phone if not PM me...

Spydermike72
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
the streets in my town are clean and salted. Everything in the Chicagoland area will get cleared today. Unless you live on the sidestreets in the city...

Saturday and sunday look warm enough for shorts and the Crocs... BBQ weather.

See everyone on Saturday.

Richard and I should be there to help...

White Dog BBQ
02-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Actually, I just poked around the hotel website -- does it have a bar?

Scottie
02-04-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't think so? There are plenty around if needed.

jbrink01
02-04-2011, 08:47 AM
I'll be arriving tonight about 9 or 9:30. I'll plan to be at the senior center at 1:00ish to help as well.

BBQchef33
02-04-2011, 08:48 AM
southwest just canceled my farking flight!!:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

BBQchef33
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
I think I just broke a record. Packed and made it to the airport in 66 minutes. I had a 2pm flight that got cancelled for weather. Bullchit. Because all the flights around it were still open. I sat onhold waitin for an.agent to answer and watched all the non stops sell out in front of my eyes. Someone finally picks up and there's an 1130 flight. Fark that gives me 20 minutes to get packedand leave.

Well I am on the plane. I have my gymbag. It has sweaty underwear and an empty water bottle. But im on the plane.

The secret? As long as u have a wallet, you're good.
Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably why the typing is worse than usual.

Jorge
02-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Bet folks are going to be lining up to sit with you!:-P

Cue's Your Daddy
02-04-2011, 10:57 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZM36Ri7YCnI/SgOS3ZQ6g4I/AAAAAAAABMc/JF7xLDH5xcQ/s320/DSC00574copy.JPG

"Excuse me Mr. Rizzardi, but the fellow passengers have asked if you showered today"

Ron_L
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I guess i should be reading this thread. I didn't know that Phil had posted about dinner here. It's probably important that folks know where and when :-D

7:00pm

Las Palmas
311 West Ogden Avenue, Westmont, IL 60559
(630) 963-9999 ‎

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=las+palmas+westmont+il&fb=1&gl=us&hq=las+palmas&hnear=Westmont,+IL&cid=13954088187515182081

I'll try to get there a little early to get a table. So far it looks like Phil, Spydermike and Dick, KenV (How many people, Ken?), Divemaster, Ramona and me. Stoke&Smoke is sick and Parsley Lady is a maybe right now.

crd26a
02-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Changed flights coming out of DFW thanks to snow, on the 1130 thats going to leave around 1200, should be in Chicago mid-afternoon. Would love to get together with any brethren for dinner, let me know if any plans develop, crd26a@gmail.com

Ron_L
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Changed flights coming out of DFW thanks to snow, on the 1130 thats going to leave around 1200, should be in Chicago mid-afternoon. Would love to get together with any brethren for dinner, let me know if any plans develop, crd26a@gmail.com

See the post above yours :-D

Ken V
02-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Just me Ron. I just checked into the hotel.

Ken V
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Anybody that gets to the hotel, stop by or call room 103. I'll buy ya a beer.

crd26a
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Made it in but at a different hotel, let me know if anyones hitting a bar before dinner, otherwise, see you there

Ken V
02-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Got a bar here, cooler of budlight and bottle of JD single barrel. C'Mon over.

slowerlowerbbq
02-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I guess i should be reading this thread. I didn't know that Phil had posted about dinner here. It's probably important that folks know where and when :-D

7:00pm

Las Palmas
311 West Ogden Avenue, Westmont, IL 60559
(630) 963-9999 ?

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=las+palmas+westmont+il&fb=1&gl=us&hq=las+palmas&hnear=Westmont,+IL&cid=13954088187515182081

I'll try to get there a little early to get a table. So far it looks like Phil, Spydermike and Dick, KenV (How many people, Ken?), Divemaster, Ramona and me. Stoke&Smoke is sick and Parsley Lady is a maybe right now.

The boys (mike and mark) are in for dinner...we'll be heading to the hotel bar for our "free driunks" shortly...hope to see sonme Brethren therem

Ken V
02-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I'll be there at 5.

Ron_L
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I count 11 people, so I'll ask for a table for 12 just in case. If anyone beats me there please get us a table.

Scottie
02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Margarita

Ron_L
02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Si si http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/aBlueKnight/08/margarita.gif

trueque
02-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Jeff (rip) and I hit Smoque and Lillie's Q for lunch. Going to skip dinner.

Ron_L
02-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Dinner in underway.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6898eef-a986-9177.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6898eef-a9c8-8290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbqbull
02-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Have a great time folks!

Divemaster
02-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Ramona is here49782!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Ron_L
02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Jeff (rip) and I hit Smoque and Lillie's Q for lunch. Going to skip dinner.

What did you think of both places? You should have gone to Chicago Q as well. That's Lee Ann Whippen's place.

Rich Parker
02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Looks like you guys had a good time. That is a big Margarita!

Ron_L
02-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Ramona sent me the group picture this morning. The lighting was low and her camera flash was off, but you can see everyone.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_syPcXIICFRo/TU1rJ16eu9I/AAAAAAAAGpo/NGC2LNh-e_8/s800/DSCI0083.JPG

Left to Right: Dick (Bavarian Smoke), Spydermike72, Cue's Your Daddy, Parsley Lady, Ken V. (standing), Ramona, Little Bunny Foo Foo, Divemaster (Standing), StallardMark, Mike (Lower Slower BBQ), BBQChef33, crd26a

philw
02-05-2011, 09:30 AM
i will be there . sounds like a great class.

JD McGee
02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
That's the way to kick things off! :thumb: Have fun guys...:-P

Just Pulin' Pork
02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for sharing can't wait to hear the reviews. You guys have fun

Stoke&Smoke
02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry for not making it to Los Palmas last night. Didn't think anybody would want me to share the bug I caught this week.
Hope it's a great class!

Rich Parker
02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Little Bunny Foo Foo....LMAO!

Brauma
02-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Great pics from the dinner. Ya'll have fun. Looking forward to hearing about the class.

White Dog BBQ
02-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Class has been great so far. Scottie is putting on a great show.

crd26a
02-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks to Scottie I know now how to trim a pork collar :thumb: Thanks Scottie!!!!!

swamprb
02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks to Scottie I know now how to trim a pork collar :thumb: Thanks Scottie!!!!!

You had to rub it in, didn't you?

Ken V
02-06-2011, 12:30 AM
The pork collar demonstration was worth the price of admission:twisted:

philw
02-06-2011, 02:23 PM
great class, thanks scotty & mike and there crews.

the pork collar part of the class was good .:tape:

crd26a
02-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I've never seen a whole shoulder fit in a box, but man, did that pork collar fit in with room to spare. Scottie - you're a sculping genious

Spydermike72
02-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I've never seen a whole shoulder fit in a box, but man, did that pork collar fit in with room to spare. Scottie - you're a sculping genious

Chris you troublemaker!! :becky:

It was great meeting you and sharing Q stories this weekend. Good Luck next week and this year, if I dont see you before I will look you up at the Royal!!

Scottie, Great Job my friend. Cant wait to put some of the tips into action. Thanks for a great weekend!!

NRA4Life
02-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Just got home from the class, and it was outstanding. Scottie did a fantastic job, thanks again!

Cue's Your Daddy
02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
What a great class and for such a good cause. Scottie holds nothing back and answered every question that you asked. Was such a fun time and was well worth the trip, especially watching him getting heckled by Mike Wozniak and having his sister put him in his place. Also real cool to meet some many people. Scottie has a passion for his foundation and you can tell it really comes from his heart.

Cue's Your Daddy
02-07-2011, 09:34 AM
oh yeah, and then taking a picture with Mike Wozniak, Scottie and Donny Teel was really cool. My wife wasnt to impressed when i told her but was pretty cool. LOLOL

Scottie
02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
oh.... I thought we weren't going to talk about that section of the class on how to cheat/beat your opponent with pork collars? :becky:

thanks to all the Brethren that attended! Also special thanks to all that helped with the set-up!!!

And Paul, it's always cool having pictures taken with my fellow Jack Brothers. Glad you got a kick out of it as well.

chambersuac
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
The pork collar demonstration was worth the price of admission:twisted:

Ken...did you really attend? I'd love to have gone...would love to hear your reviews (I didn't SAY that I wanted to hear the tips you picked up. NOPE...I didn't SAY that :heh:)

Ken V
02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Dan, it was a great class. You ever get the chance its well worth it.