View Full Version : Hi from Nuke in Idaho

11-28-2010, 07:37 PM
:mod: Hi all,

I am new to this and they just started to let me post. I am in the throws of building my first Ugly Drum. I have seen some good ideas out there and will try and incorporate some of them into mine. Yes I am from Idaho and I really am a Nuke, (thats Nuclear for those that don't know). I am not as lucky as a lot of you, and have a supply of great woods to use to smoke. I have apple, some oak, but for the most part we have a lot of soft woods like cottonwood and pine, (maybe Sagebrush,... humm) I will ask a question. I have seen a few thermometer set ups, and for the most part you are all using two. One for the drum temp and the other for the meat. So what is the best thermometer to buy? I also hope to score a dome lid somewhere too. the heat defuser looks like a good idea too for the beginner. Would love to hear from you!

11-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Welcome aboard Nuke!

11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Welcome! I would recommend for thermos that you get both good analog and wireless remote digital thermos (in case the wireless craps out). I am pretty much all analog these days myself, but some people really want that reassurance (nothing wrong with that). For the wireless remote, the Maverick ET-73 has been the gold standard for most accessible (pricewise really), however, you may also want to check out the Stoker or other such remote control setups. For analog thermo's, Tel-Tru will do you no wrong.:wink:

11-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

BTW, listen to Chris, he is dead on with the thermo's.. (Did I just say that out loud?)

BBQ Bandit
11-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the BBQ madness!

11-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the camp,

Shotgun smokers
11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Welcome new Brother!

Big George's BBQ
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

11-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Wait a dang minute here --- did Jeff just agree with Chris about anything???

12-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.