11-22-2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.wildwildwestfrontierfestivalnbbqcookoff.com/

Now thats a road trip

JD McGee
11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Just e-mailed the event co-ordinator...SouthPaw BBQ is there! :thumb:

From the KCBS 2011 Event Calendar...

07/15/11 to 07/16/11
1st Annual Wild Wild West Frontier Festival & BBQCookoff (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/events.php?year=2011&month=7&id=2623) Lewistown, MTContact: Jesse Iden, PO Box 599, Lewistown, MT 59457
Phone: 406-535-6105. Fax: 866-297-8221. bearconemountainfarms@yahoo.com (bearconemountainfarms@yahoo.com)
KCBS Reps: JIM MONIHAN, LARRY KING Results not in.

txschutte
11-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes, we will be there, too!

Diva Q
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
1 day and 6 hours for us to get there. Waiting on the paperwork.

JD McGee
11-22-2010, 09:02 PM
745.2 miles one way from Duvall...:becky:

Rub
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
2,417 miles one way; 1 day 16 hours.
Probably not... :crazy:
Would be fun though!

JD McGee
11-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Quick reply from the event co-ordinator...must be burnin' the midnight oil over there! :becky:

Hello John & Rhana,
Thank you for your interest in our wonderful and exciting event. Please email me your address and I will send you our contest packet for your review. If you are still interested we would love to have you here in Montana for our great competition. Hope to hear from you soon. Again thank you and have a wonderful Holiday. Happy Thanksgiving.

Cordially
Jesse Montana
Host & Promoter
Wild Wild West Frontier Festival & BBQ Cookoff
BearCone Mountain Farms

Slamdunkpro
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
1975 Miles - 36 hours from DC. Could be fun.

Jeff_in_KC
11-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Hmmm... 1,185 miles and 17 1/2 hours from here. Might have to consider it for $100,000. Wow!

Smokin Mike
11-22-2010, 10:25 PM
heck, love just to win the F-350 ranch!

Ken V
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Rub, fly into town and we'll drive from here....it's only 19 hours from here. We'll pick Pat up on the way. :wink:

rooftop bbq
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
wow we're in.

ThomEmery
11-22-2010, 10:55 PM
OK Andy

Rookie'48
11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
I just sent them an e-mail asking about judging. Road trip!

Shotgun smokers
11-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Ive emailed and am planning a trip! Very excited! Even if we come in very last place it would still be a lot of fun!

daedalus
11-23-2010, 06:13 AM
I just sent them an e-mail asking about judging. Road trip!
Let me know what you find out! I've never been to Montana. :thumb:

ique
11-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Really is this legit? Website doesn't quite seem up to snuff for a group with 200k+ in prize money

txschutte
11-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Really is this legit? Website doesn't quite seem up to snuff for a group with 200k+ in prize money

The promoter/organizer is sending out packets soon. I have a feeling the $100k is a total for all prizes.....

dgassaway
11-23-2010, 06:54 AM
$100K prize money and less than a days drive? Hell yeah!

swamprb
11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
If Jim Monihan is the Rep, I am there!

Big Ugly's BBQ
11-23-2010, 07:00 AM
DAMN, same weekend as Que and Cruz. Wonder if the wife would like to vacation in Montana this year??????????

SCRedneckBBQ
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Was stationed in Montana with the Air Force, Lewistown is a nice little town. Got a Blue ribbon Trout stream running through it!

Rich Parker
11-23-2010, 07:23 AM

I agree the website especially the prizes page looks fishy. What comp do you hear them not giving the total purse? The prizes don't seem to add up proportionally either.

$25k to the winner of the rib eating contest....Really?

ThomEmery
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
The KCBS letter of guarantee will be a interesting read

Sticks-n-chicks
11-23-2010, 08:26 AM
If it's legit, I just may have to road trip in July.....

DawgPhan
11-23-2010, 08:28 AM
I guess if it happens it will be a lot of fun to watch.

Maybe they just jumped the gun a little and have a bang up website coming out later this year or early next year. but right now that doesnt look like a contest with several hundred thousand dollars to give away.

Scottie
11-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I've been in contact with them. The money is not just for the KCBS contest. They are also doing a rib burn. Don't be surprised tovsrr monies being lowered is all I am saying... with vthat being said, I'll be there even if they only have $3k. Nice close side of Montana for me..... ;) new state to check off my list.

JD McGee
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
I've been in contact with them. The money is not just for the KCBS contest. They are also doing a rib burn. Don't be surprised tovsrr monies being lowered is all I am saying... with vthat being said, I'll be there even if they only have $3k. Nice close side of Montana for me..... ;) new state to check off my list.

I agree...100K would be awesome but am still planning to go...beautiful country over there and only a days drive from WA...:thumb: May have to check out Glacier NP on the way back...:-P

Ron_L
11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Got a Blue ribbon Trout stream running through it!

You just sold me! I wonder it there will be a trout side category? :-D

Divemaster
11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
My gut tells me that the guys aren't going to want to do the 1,264 miles...

(Doesn't mean that I won't try to convince them!!!!)

swamprb
11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Montana is a BBQ Hotspot!

Qualifiersville!

U2CANQUE
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
well, lets see, will be finished up at Fort Hood the 3rd of July, I think that there will be a team from Ohio represented there....gotta get those two worthless nuts on the contact list....and then even get the visit to mom out of the way too....anyone need to stay over in Great Falls just hollar...

Ron_L
11-23-2010, 09:37 AM

You can drive over and they can fly in with Rick from The Smokehunters :becky:

Prairie Smoke
11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
There are some deep pockets in Montana... Their goal is to attract the best of the best; This is the way to do it.
I'm just excited about a new KCBS event less than 10 hours away from home! This one is only 7, that's practically next door!
We're in for sure.

RedPig
11-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Sure is tempting, but I think I'll do Que and Cruz again, plus it's too far. The numbers seem fishy also, so who knows?

Alexa RnQ
11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
A huge purse doesn't justify a long trip if the event is a total cluster.
I'd be less dubious if I'd heard that anyone on the organizational team had any BBQ contest experience.

Dammit and Little Weasel are going to consider the trout fishing to be a huge draw!

txschutte
11-23-2010, 09:52 AM

If they don't, you can cook with us!:thumb:

Plowboy
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd be less dubious if I'd heard that anyone on the organizational team had any BBQ contest experience.

Just make sure the purse matches the belt and shoes, sister.

Alexa RnQ
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
*ahem* That's a handbag, sonny.

Plowboy
11-23-2010, 10:12 AM
*ahem* That's a handbag, sonny.

Well bless your heart, at least it ain't a fanny pack.

KnucklHed BBQ
11-23-2010, 10:16 AM
It's kinda funny, this web site, while it looks a bit hinky to eveyone else, looks EXACTLY like I would expect it to... There is some sort of thin veil that one passes through as they enter the state that causes them to word crap in the strangest ways. The Vendors page (http://www.wildwildwestfrontierfestivalnbbqcookoff.com/vendors)on their site is a perfect example - "You must make your bookings fast for the spaces will be going fast for this event."
TV commercials, newspaper ads, radio ads, signs hanging in windows... they all lack the manicured touch of a marketing person. It's refreshing, people just farkin say what they mean and you don't have to guess about it! :thumb:
The other thing that makes me think it's legit is that their email address is a plain old @yahoo.com addy - you'd be amazed at how many established businesses use gmail, yahoo etc... and have not bought the registered domain for email addresses for their company.

I agree the website especially the prizes page looks fishy. What comp do you hear them not giving the total purse? The prizes don't seem to add up proportionally either.

$25k to the winner of the rib eating contest....Really?

There are some VERY deep pockets in MT, lotta rich folks think it'd be of fun to own a big ranch in Montana, of course they have no farkin idea what to do with it once they have it... To illustrate, a friend had the neighboring 40 acres (Very small) next to him bought by a fella from CA (not bashin') and the guy plants his barley in the 2nd week of JULY... now our growing season is only about 3 1/2 months, and this year it rained for the better part of that... he might as well of tossed his cash out in the field and hoped it would sprout! :tsk::laugh:

I agree...100K would be awesome but am still planning to go...beautiful country over there and only a days drive from WA...:thumb: May have to check out Glacier NP on the way back...:-P

Make sure to stop by an' have a brew to cool off too! Park is only about 20 min from David & I

ique
11-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Ah yes, the ole bait and switch.

Jacked UP BBQ
11-23-2010, 10:41 AM
If I drove out there and they switched the prize money, they would def get a face re organization!:-P

swamprb
11-23-2010, 10:42 AM

Dammit and Little Weasel are going to consider the trout fishing to be a huge draw!

You guys cooked Boise? Was there anything skinky about that event?
It looks like it coincides or will be happening at the Central Montana State Fair, which is in July, but the 2011 dates aren't posted.

Alexa RnQ
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, we cooked Boise, and it helped that I had been acquainted with the organizer from a show the prior season. I asked plenty of questions directly beforehand as well!

dreed
11-23-2010, 12:23 PM
What is the entry fee?

too early to say if we will commit to the 2400 mile drive, Man but what party that would be.

Jorge
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
If I knew somebody from KC that was going, I might be willing to fly up and do some of the driving......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottie
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
If I knew somebody from KC that was going, I might be willing to fly up and do some of the driving......

I have a reliable source that says it sucks getting through South Dakota... Without contributing to the Annual State Trooper Ball....

Jorge
11-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I have a reliable source that says it sucks getting through South Dakota... Without contributing to the Annual State Trooper Ball....

I think I know that guy. He should be too tired for that trip this year though considering his annual trip to the NE.

chuckswagonbbq
11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey, for 100K I would make the trip... Just need to find some one to share the driving with.

2009 mile from Easton, PA-- 1day 9hours

Scottie
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I think I know that guy. He should be too tired for that trip this year though considering his annual trip to the NE.

NE? He should be more worried about his 10 days in Scotland. NEBS will be a vacation for him...

Jorge
11-23-2010, 02:17 PM
NE? He should be more worried about his 10 days in Scotland. NEBS will be a vacation for him...

Hope he's saving some time next December.

Scottie
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Hope he's saving some time next December.

i think he is only going to cook about 5 contests next year...

arlieque
11-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Yep how come with all the emails etc no one will tell what the entry fee will be, if it is $1000 or $1500 how many teams are still willing to go? If they give away that much money you have to know that the interfracture will cost thousands just for the bbq part of the event!

Arlie

Paola Greg
11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Their canned reply to an email inquiry about the contest seems to be this,,,,

Good Afternoon Greg,
Thank you for your interest in our wonderful and exciting BBQ Cookoff. Email me your address and I will send you our Contest packet out for your review. Again thank you for your interest and we hope to see you here, have a Happy Holidays. Happy Thanksgiving.

crd26a
11-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Jorge - If the prize pays out, I could be interested in having someone head out with me

Scottie
11-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Good Afternoon Greg,
Thank you for your interest in our wonderful and exciting BBQ Cookoff. Email me your address and I will send you our Contest packet out for your review. Again thank you for your interest and we hope to see you here, have a Happy Holidays. Happy Thanksgiving.

I asked them last Friday if they could just PDF the application for me and email it to me, instead of snailmail. They said they didn't have the technology to be able to do that.

So...

Plowboy
11-23-2010, 04:16 PM

I'm watching the threads, Jorge. We'll see what flushes out.

arlieque
11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
I got the same email three times when I only asked what the entry fee was??? HUH!!!!

Bigmista
11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
20 hours from Long Beach.

The contest is in Montana and the promoter is Jesse Montana? Hmmm...

Smoke'n Ice
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
spoke with the lady and it seems legit. She spent some time on the phone with Karen at the KCBS office and the money seems to be guaranteed. They are trying to promote montana beef and someone, possibly the Montana Beef Council, has some deep pockets. The 100k is for grand and I'm not sure but rgc is 25K. Will wait for the package that she is sending and look at it all but, at this time, I plan on a road trip in July. Will pass close to Laramie but aint gonna stop there. Too much money a few hours north.

George, could use a co-driver if it all pans out. You can do the beef ribs.

Mack

Shotgun smokers
11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I just got a facebook invite from the ranch.. I hope this contest works out because my wife and I are looking forward to this.

Maddog's
11-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Wanted to know a bit more. So, I inquired about sponsorship to further determine what might be behind what appears to be the new biggest BBQ purse in America. Here's yesterday's response...FYI...

Hello Pat,
Thank you for your interest in our great and exciting event here in Lewistown, Montana. I cannot tell you whom they sponsors are at this time but will be divulged at a later date but let it be known that it is several very large ranchers here in Lewistown, Montana whom are all working together to make tourism just a little bit better here. Tourism was on the downside here and this was just the antitidote to bring things back to life here and we want to go up in BBQ history as having the largest winnings. It will be fun and exciting and we hope to see you there. We will forward your contest packet this week sometime. We are getting hard snows today so it might be a day or two before we get a packet out to you. Again thank you for your interest and inquiry and have a Happy Holidays. Happy Thanksgiving all. By the way I can tell you that BearCone Mountain Farms is one of the sponsors.

Cordially
Jesse Montana
Host & Promoter
Wild Wild West Frontier Festival & BBQ Cookoff
BearCone Mountain Farms

HoDeDo
11-23-2010, 09:06 PM

DONE :wink:

RangerJ
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, trickle down economics says even a 10th place walk will be lucrative.

I'll request a packet as well and see what turns up.

Whore Hey aka Jorge - I will let you know what's cooking, who knows we may have a caravan from the Lone Star State.

Rookie'48
11-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Let me know what you find out! I've never been to Montana. :thumb:

Good Afternoon,

Chris, this is the same e-mail that I got. As of right now I'm doing the wait & see thingy. :-D

HarleyEarl
11-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Requested info also. Hope the entry fee isn't sky high.

swamprb
11-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Wonder how much the entry fee is for the Rib eating contest?

ique
11-24-2010, 09:04 AM

For 25k Joey Chestnut will probably show up and us mere mortals will have no chance :-P

Balls Casten
11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Recieved the same info as everyone else. I jokingly asked if Montana was their real name. They replied with a "By Golly it sure is" and signed with a different last name.

Hope this is legit.

Spydermike72
11-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Like a few others have said, smells a little fishy to me. I hear about deep pockets in Montana, but does that mean they cant pay someone to proofread their press releases and e-mails ?

I hope it is legit and it all works out for everyone.

KnucklHed BBQ
11-24-2010, 09:27 AM

I think the joke is on the contestants eating the ribs... it'll prolly be Lloyds (http://www.lloydsbbq.com/products_ribs_bbqpork.asp) or something! :heh::heh:

At best we can hope for boiled crockpot ribs made by the grandmothers of the contest organizers...:tsk:

In either case the organizers are thinking it's totally worth 25 grand to watch a bunch of idiots gorge themselves on the horrors of Lloyds and gram-gram's kitchen :laugh:

Jorge
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
For 25k Joey Chestnut will probably show up and us mere mortals will have no chance :-P

Two words

BIG MOE

KnucklHed BBQ
11-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Like a few others have said, smells a little fishy to me. I hear about deep pockets in Montana, but does that mean they cant pay someone to proofread their press releases and e-mails ?

I hope it is legit and it all works out for everyone.

Yeah, you would think... but these are the types of advertising campaigns we see around here - took this pic in Eureka, MT this past October. Smoke a Pack a Day! :thumb:

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/knucklhedbbq/ShootaWolfPicMedium.jpg

Scottie
11-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Looks like 8 pounds of ribs is all it will take....

http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com/About-The-Event/Rib-Eating-Championship.asp

The video should put a damper on any one with big dreams... :becky:

Dustaway
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM

So you don't even think of your Texas buddy? ok i get it know :crazy:

Looks like a road trip to big sky :thumb:

sitnfat
11-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I just checked out their facebook page. Reading it reminds me of the way the Russian guy in the credit card commercials talks on the phone!!! And they wont post the entry fee.

Jorge
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
So you don't even think of your Texas buddy? ok i get it know :crazy:

Looks like a road trip to big sky :thumb:

It's only 17 hrs. from KC:-P

And...I thought you'd enjoy some bonding time with the Jellyman, and that new force from SA.... I'd pay money for video from inside that RV over 17 hrs......

ThomEmery
11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I just checked out their facebook page. Reading it reminds me of the way the Russian guy in the credit card commercials talks on the phone!!! And they wont post the entry fee.

Hello this is Peggy Yes we have the BBQ

sitnfat
11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Exactly:crazy:

goodsmokebbq
11-24-2010, 07:14 PM
So if I'm trying to run a scam contest in Montana, I need to make up a fake farm (try finding any proof they exist) and then find a fake image of what I think a farm in Montana looks like ... let me see how about a log cabin... lets try a google image search for "log cabin" for something that I can steal... I'll use the second one because the first would be to obvious.

http://www.decorativehardwareinfo.com/category/cabinet-and-drawer-hardware/drawer-pulls/page/4/

Hold on to your money folks...

I think they tried this in Reno last year... Went after a different group:

http://renoresorts.travel/events/id/E0-001-024136551-4/Bear+Cone+Trading+Post+1st+Annual+Mountain+Bear+Fe stival+%26+Trail+of+Painted+Ponies+Live+Expo

http://twitter.com/#!/BearCone/ (http://twitter.com/#%21/BearCone/)

Pretty in depth but 100 teams at $500 a pop is a good score not to mention other sponsors and vendors.

Sorry pretty bored here...

bam
11-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I tapped the 401k getting ready for this contest.:laugh:

swamprb
11-24-2010, 08:51 PM
This is beginning to remind me of the infamous "KCBS Las Vegas is on" thread of 2009!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50160&highlight=Las+Vegas+competition

This post says it all!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=854544&postcount=183

just sayin'

JD McGee
11-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Well...it'll be what it'll be...if it's legit...SouthPaw BBQ will be there...if not we won't...just as simple as that! :cool:

ThomEmery
11-24-2010, 09:28 PM
LOL Yea That is funny :)

I gave that Vegas contest away
and the second promoter couldn't
get the guy to make since either

The Vegas Guy ended up doing a
small unsanctioned contest by himself
Lets hope these Guys are not cut from
the same cloth

HarleyEarl
11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
I wasn't in on all the Vegas contest drama, but did it also have info listed on KCBS like this one does?

The lack of information this far out really does not bother me, but not having the registration information and cost to enter does. I guess we all need to wait to see if they send out the packets they have been saying will be sent soon to see what the details are. We need to stick together and share what is known when it comes out.

The prize money just seems to good to be true, but we can always hope and dream of getting a GC with a 6 figure payout.:thumb:

Vince RnQ
11-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I wasn't in on all the Vegas contest drama, but did it also have info listed on KCBS like this one does?

It sure did!

ThomEmery
11-24-2010, 11:03 PM
The KCBS letter of guarantee would be the key

goodsmokebbq
11-25-2010, 10:56 AM
The KCBS letter of guarantee would be the key

With a full blown scam i am not sure I would trust a letter of guarantee. Can easily be fabricated... Hard to sue someone in another country.

Happy turkey day!

RedPig
11-25-2010, 11:01 AM
If it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is. Greed traps the unwary in come-ons like this all the time.

Vince RnQ
11-25-2010, 11:04 AM
This text is directly from the KCBS sanctioning application form (http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS-2010-Contest-Application.pdf) which anyone can download from the KCBS website:

"4. I agree to submit to KCBS a minimum of 90 days prior to the contest a list of all prize monies and a letter guaranteeing payment of said money."

The above statement is one of the conditions that promoters/organizers agree to when they submit their contest to KCBS for sanctioning and something that our team checks to see has actually been filed before we send entry fees to any contest.

You would be amazed at the number of times this commitment is not lived up to by promoters/organizers.

I encourage all teams to check with KCBS to see if this condition has been fulfilled before sending in their contest entry fees. It is one of the very few things teams can do to insure that all the required protections for their investment are in place.

CBQ
11-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Hold on to your money folks...

Roc City Rib Fest used a picture of my 17th place ribs on their web site header. While I don't think the contest is fake, it does call into question the judgement of the organizers. :becky: :becky: :becky: :becky:

Seriously, I think Brian is right. The Bear Cone Trading Post website has like...3 items for sale, and they say "Due to high prices with the Credit Card charges and PayPal high costs we have decided to keep our prices low and we only accept payments of Checks, Money Orders, Cashiers Checks or Bank Transfers on large purchases." Uh, the only items they list on the site are T-Shirts. Large purchases? Anyone here want to make a wire transfer to buy t-shirts?

They also don't have a street address listed, but claim to have a retail store. (Really drive traffic in that way!) There is also no customer support link on the web site, no phone number, no RMA policy. Either they have a real problem with finishing web sites, or it's a scam. Too bad, never been to Montana.

ThomEmery
11-25-2010, 12:31 PM
This fellow has responded to a few posts on his facebook page
But not with details to settle things
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=135394893182310&id=133957639992702&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

drbbq
11-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Guys, it's November and the contest is next July. It might be a little early to tar and feather them. Yes, hold on to your money, at least until there is actually somewhere to send it LOL! Some of this is a little paranoid.

Vince RnQ
11-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi Ray,

You're right, there is a huge amount of time before this contest hits even the outer time requirements for action and it's getting to be the time of year where the majority of the barbeque contest world is on hold for a few months. (Too bad they don't live in great places like Arizona or Florida where we can have contests all year long!!!) It's kind of like the "Hot Stove" season in Major League Baseball.

That having been said, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

HarleyEarl
11-25-2010, 05:41 PM
This fellow has responded to a few posts on his facebook page
But not with details to settle things
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=135394893182310&id=133957639992702&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

Thom, I checked the link 5 hours after your post & recieved the following:
"This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.":mad:
I hope they get some information out soon. The prize money has drawn a lot of interest, but the details are clouded in secrecy. I think I'll just sit on the sideline for now and wait to see what pans out - too many contests locally that weekend to get worked up about this one.

ThomEmery
11-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Well I kinda like the way Ray put it
Let's give the guy a couple a days
to get er together. Man the promoter sure
has a lot of folk interested with these
record setting numbers

big matt
11-25-2010, 06:38 PM
If this works out would this be the highest paying comp ever?

drbbq
11-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Yes.

Jacked UP BBQ
11-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Its a scam, something stinks and I showered today!

RedPig
11-26-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree.:roll:

rooftop bbq
11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
doing a little detective work and came across this. looks like bear cone is now eagle spirt
http://www.virtualmontana.com/montanadirectory/montanalistings/RC/montana18343.htm
I also contacted the chamber of commerce for lewistown hopefully i'll get a response by monday

rooftop bbq
11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
:confused:also looks like 100,000 is now 10,000

ThomEmery
11-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Those pesky zeros

HoDeDo
11-27-2010, 09:26 PM
The press release on wintermt.com said $10K too.... that was before they had the whole Million / $100K issue.

Still no word from them, and the facebook site is down.. I wouldnt care if they said, Opps, we are new at this, and let the cat out of the bag too early; give us 30 days...

But when they message me and say, "on it's way, we will post if for you this evening, etc." They set the expectation.... not me.

Oh well, we'll see what they come up with next week.

tearl42
11-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Emailed and got the response saying that they didn't have the forms electronically, so I sent them my address. We'll see what happens. It's 1 day and 3 hrs. I would love to go to MT, but if this is all BS so be it.

CBQ
11-28-2010, 09:59 AM
As of today, the web site still says 100,000.

http://bearconemountaintradingpost.com/ seems to be offline.

quarters69
11-28-2010, 01:52 PM
:shock: Seems to me that they would have there s%(* together if there already posted on the kcbs site, and they have to know that they would get everybody's attention with that kind of payout :mod: :crazy:

bbq lover
11-28-2010, 02:03 PM
we have lots of time before the event give it time and see if it all pans out we can smoke them on here later lol if it works out it will be the biggest bbq event and the biggest payout going in those parts of the woods lol

quarters69
11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Anybody get any more info yet???

Scottie
11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
I initially talked to them on the 19th and they said they would mail me contest info... still haven't received anything

ThomEmery
11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
probably pulled it when they saw Ronnies http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/messages/764688.html
:)

rooftop bbq
11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
man Thom your just full of great news. really looking forward to 2011
:clap2:

AZScott
11-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Vegas would be good as well! If by some odd crazy chance I won I need someone to get me the hell out of there as soon as the check is cashed.

Rich Parker
12-01-2010, 06:58 AM
probably pulled it when they saw Ronnies http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/messages/764688.html
:)

I clicked that link and got teleported back to the 80's.

Spydermike72
12-01-2010, 07:17 AM
I clicked that link and got teleported back to the 80's.

Now that is funny!!! :becky::becky:

ThomEmery
12-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I clicked that link and got teleported back to the 70's.

Did you want to start playing Pong?

ThomEmery
12-01-2010, 07:33 AM
man Thom your just full of great news. really looking forward to 2011
:clap2:

Andy there are others who would say I am full of somethin other than Great News

But I do like to share the Good News :)

txschutte
12-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Over a week later and still no packet. I am having my doubts.

ThomEmery
12-01-2010, 07:44 AM
"Doubts" would be generous Brother

trohrs123
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I didnt even get a response to 2 separate emails sent

quarters69
12-01-2010, 04:04 PM
How do they get sanctioned if it is not a legitimate contest, dont they have to prove to kcbs what they are doing and then get a vote taken on it??

ThomEmery
12-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Just to get sanctioned is no major deal
Your check for what $350 clears and they vote you in
The letter of guarantee comes later

txschutte
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Just one of those things that I would love to see changed in the future.

quarters69
12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Seems like there should be more to it than that, write a check and your in. I didnn't no how that all worked, but sure seems like that needs to be addressed. All the comp info should be complete and ready togo if they are registered on kcbs site.

getyourrubonbbq
12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Just e-mailed the event co-ordinator...SouthPaw BBQ is there! :thumb:

From the KCBS 2011 Event Calendar...

07/15/11 to 07/16/11
1st Annual Wild Wild West Frontier Festival & BBQCookoff (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/events.php?year=2011&month=7&id=2623) Lewistown, MTContact: Jesse Iden, PO Box 599, Lewistown, MT 59457
Phone: 406-535-6105. Fax: 866-297-8221. bearconemountainfarms@yahoo.com (bearconemountainfarms@yahoo.com)
KCBS Reps: JIM MONIHAN, LARRY KING Results not in.

You need another partner:becky:

Rich Parker
12-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Is there a way to determine other than less than 30 days that a competition has submitted the letter of guarantee by looking at kcbs.us?

I can understand that some organizers probably need a little bit of time to get all of the sponsorships in order but i am not sure i would write a check to an organizer if i knew that the sponsors aren't already in place and the letter of guarantee hasn't been received.

A scam artist could easily pay the $350 to get on kcbs.us collect a bunch of checks for $200 - $300 from cooks and then just walk away. Has this happened before?

JD McGee
12-01-2010, 06:40 PM
You need another partner:becky:

Got anyone in particular in mind? :twisted:

Vince RnQ
12-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Is there a way to determine other than less than 30 days that a competition has submitted the letter of guarantee by looking at kcbs.us?

I can understand that some organizers probably need a little bit of time to get all of the sponsorships in order but i am not sure i would write a check to an organizer if i knew that the sponsors aren't already in place and the letter of guarantee hasn't been received.

A scam artist could easily pay the $350 to get on kcbs.us collect a bunch of checks for $200 - $300 from cooks and then just walk away. Has this happened before?

If you want to know if a contest organizer has filed their prize guarantee letter, call KCBS and ask them. They'll tell you. If it is less than 90 days from the date of the contest and the guarantee hasn't been filed, write the KCBS Board of Directors and ask them what they are going to do about it. After all, the contest organizer signed an agreement when he/she submitted their sanctioning paperwork that they would file that document not less then 90 days prior to the event.

The bottom line is, if you don't want to be scammed, don't send in an entry fee until you know that the prize fund has been guaranteed.

Rich Parker
12-02-2010, 07:14 AM
The bottom line is, if you don't want to be scammed, don't send in an entry fee until you know that the prize fund has been guaranteed.

This is what I am trying to find out. Sounds like you are saying the only way to know is to call KCBS. There should be something in the event section to know when this is done.

ThomEmery
12-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Yes a marker on the event to denote
ALL paper work in place
Letter of Guarantee,
The proclamation if it is a state championship
anything else?

rooftop bbq
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I just got off the phone with someone from the chamber of commerce about what's going on with this contest. She said to be weary of it. The people just moved into town from az and are renting a place there. The chamber of commerce has been trying to get involved in the competition and is having a hard time. They told me that the promoters have until monday to pay the deposit for the fairground, and she would let me know if that goes through. I guess the promoter told the fairgrounds that they 400 applications. lol i guess those are all our emails trying to get an answer. Long story short I don't think this is a scam just some people who got in over there head. I'll let you know when I hear back on monday

pigmaker23
12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
The organizers real name is Jesse Peake, and guess what he does for a living ? equine sales, or in cowboy speak "horse trader". He has lived in California,Arizona and now Montana over the last couple of years. If you look at his description of the "Contest" he indicates that there is "full week" of fun to be had at the contest. a whole week! Golly Gee.. The contest is supposed to be held at the Fergus County Fairgrounds, home to Mid Montana Fair and Horse Shows which is happening July 22-July 30.

As of today the Fair Board had discussed the rental agreement for a BBQ contest but no lease had been finalized. They have no interest in the contest nor are they sponsoring it in any way.

It would be great if this contest did happen, but it looks like a great idea with no reality in getting it done.

I'm pulling for Vegas to Happen :-P

Jorge
12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
The organizers real name is Jesse Peake, and guess what he does for a living ? equine sales, or in cowboy speak "horse trader". He has lived in California,Arizona and now Montana over the last couple of years. If you look at his description of the "Contest" he indicates that there is "full week" of fun to be had at the contest. a whole week! Golly Gee.. The contest is supposed to be held at the Fergus County Fairgrounds, home to Mid Montana Fair and Horse Shows which is happening July 22-July 30.

As of today the Fair Board had discussed the rental agreement for a BBQ contest but no lease had been finalized. They have no interest in the contest nor are they sponsoring it in any way.

It would be great if this contest did happen, but it looks like a great idea with no reality in getting it done.

Oh come on! Jesse Montana sounded so cool!;)

Alexa RnQ
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Oh come on! Jesse Montana sounded so cool!;)
Yeah, like Lou Diamond Phillips Cougar Mellencamp Ventura.

Bentley
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Letter of Guarantee. Maybe someone will explain this to me. What does it do? Are the funds escrowed? If the funds are not avaiable does KCBS make sure the contestents get paid? If not, it is not a guarantee and not worth the paper it is written on.

Jorge
12-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Eric, are you sure on the spelling of that name?

Smokin' Joe
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
KCBS says his last name is Iden???

Jesse Iden, PO Box 599, Lewistown, MT 59457

pigmaker23
12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, he also gos by Jesse Peake Cambell, and eagle spirit farms

QUOTE=Jorge;1473230]Eric, are you sure on the spelling of that name?[/QUOTE]

ThomEmery
12-02-2010, 06:42 PM
This gets better all the time

pigmaker23
12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
:-PGoogle Eagle Spirit Farms, most are dead links, but some reveal info

Prairie Smoke
12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Sounds like they have some work to do with the health department - who will be asking all teams to pay for a vending permit and meet certain 'requirements'...

Even if it's legit... these guys are in way over their heads.

Oh yeah, this was posted to the (new!) event page on Facebook.
http://www.www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wild-West-Frontier-Festival-Outdoor-Cookoff/132781270113449

DEAR BARBEQUE COOK-OFF CONTESTANT

WE LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH YOU DURING THE BARBEQUE COMPETITION SCHEDULED FOR JULY 2011 IN LEWISTOWN, MONTANA. AT THIS TIME, WE WANT TO MAKE YOU AWARE OF SOME OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS TYPE OF EVENT FOR THE CENTRAL MONTANA HEALTH DISTRICT (CMHD AND THE STATE OF MONTANA SO YOU MAY PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

FOOD SERVICE OPERATORS WHO PREPARE AND PROVIDE FOOD TO THE PUBLIC MUST OBTAIN A LICENSE THROUGH THE STATE OF MONTANA PRIOR TO SERVING THE PUBLIC. THIS LICENSE IS REQUIRED WHETHER OR NOT A CHARGE IS MADE FOR THE FOOD PROVIDED.

ACCORDING TO OUR CONVERSATION WITH THE EVENT ORGANIZER, THE CONTESTANTS AT THE OUTDOOR COOKOFF WILL BE PROVIDING FOOD FOR THE JUDGES AND PUBLIC CONSUMPTION. AS A RESULT, EACH CONTESTANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN A LICENSE PRIOR TO THE COMPETITION.

WE WISH TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE APPROPRIATE LICENSING INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PRIOR TO THE OUTDOOR COOKOFF EVENT. YOU SHALL CONTACT US FOR THIS INFORMATION AND APPLICATION AT LEAST ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE EVENT.

FEE PAYMENT AND ISSUANCE OF THE LICENSE SHALL OCCUR A MINIMUM OF TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE EVENT. THE FEE FOR MONTANA'S TEMPORARY FOOD SERVICE IS $85 FOR ORGANIZATIONS WITH TWO OR FEWER EMPLOYEES AND $115 FOR ORGANIZATIONS WITH THREE OR MORE EMPLOYEES.

ALL COMPETITORS WILL BE INSPECTED ACCORDINGLY TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE RULES OF MONTANA, TITLE 37, CHAPTER 110, SUBCHAPTER 2, BY A REGISTERED SANITARIAN DURING THE OUTDOOR COOKOFF EVENT. THESE RULES ARE AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING AT www.dphhs.mt.gov/PHSD/Foodconsumer/documents/RuleforFoodServiceEstablishments/formatted09.pdf (http://www.dphhs.mt.gov/PHSD/Foodconsumer/documents/RuleforFoodServiceEstablishments/formatted09.pdf)

YOU MAY CONTACT CMHD AT 406-535-7466 OR cmhealth@co.fergus.mt.us with questions or concerns related to this matter.

Sincerely
Deen L. Pomeroy,
CMHD Director of Environmental Health

JD McGee
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Viva Las Vegas! :twisted:

Yazoo's
12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Now on their facebook page they are sanctioned by the "big sky culinary society". Hmmm........

BearCone Mountain Farms and Big Sky Culinary Society is proud to present, host and promote the 1st Annual 2011 Wild West Frontier Festival & Outdoor Cookoff. Our wonderful and exciting cookoff will be sanctioned by the Big Sky Culinary Society. With lots of Wild West Nostalgia going on with Wyatt Earp, Billie the Kid, The Salt Creek Gang, Dance Hall Gals, The James Brothers, and many more Western Hombres hangin around. This is a must to bring your camera for many pictures to remember... (read more) (http://www.www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-West-Frontier-Festival-Outdoor-Cookoff/132781270113449?v=info#)

Jorge
12-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Yes, he also gos by Jesse Peake Cambell, and eagle spirit farms

QUOTE=Jorge;1473230]Eric, are you sure on the spelling of that name?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Eric. I learned enough last night and this morning to take a pass.

drbbq
12-03-2010, 09:08 AM
There sure is a lot of energy being spent hating on this thing.

pigmaker23
12-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Ray, I don't think anybody hates it, its just there are way to many indicators that this is not on the up and up, thats all. it helped to bring to light a longstanding issue with KCBS and contest financial security that hopefully the people running for board seats will address in their platforms. we must have hope in the new people elected as it seems the currrent board is to busy to address this issue. :-P

There sure is a lot of energy being spent hating on this thing.

drbbq
12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
So you were really planning to make the 32+ hour drive Eric?

Smoke'n Ice
12-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Actually quite a few of the teams are setting their schedule for next year and I am among them. I looked at this and was considering it in conjunction with others. Based on the information that I have seen here and other information, I will take this one off my radar. It looked good and, if it happens, maybe 2012. Maybe I'll see some of you in Lexington next year over Easter. There will be some braggin' rights off this one.
Smoke'n Ice
Mack & Sharon

HarleyEarl
12-03-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm right there with you Mack. This one looked too good to pass up, but with all the discussion on this post, we're going to pass also. If it goes off as stated and the GC actually sees a $100,000 check that clears the bank this year, we'll add it next year. Too many red flags to consider a 17 hour drive each way - there are just too many contests in and around Kansas City that time of the year that are established. But I do wish them well if they pull it off and to all the teams that will be signing up.

JD McGee
12-03-2010, 06:31 PM
We were actually looking forward to the road trip and stopping off on the way back to spend some time in Glacier National Park...if the prize money holds up and it shakes out as being a "qualifying event" we'll most likely still make the trip. :-P

quarters69
12-03-2010, 08:27 PM
:mod: Who is the big sky culinary society?? I couldn't find anything on the web on them?? :shock:

Jacked UP BBQ
12-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I spoke to people at the fairgrounds and they claim this to be the real deal. But what do I know.

quarters69
12-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Anybody hear anything else yet, seems kinda funny that they changed there sanctioning body but is still on kcbs website.

pigmaker23
12-04-2010, 10:15 PM
absolutly Ray, making the trip to Lakeland and thats 1300+

So you were really planning to make the 32+ hour drive Eric?

quarters69
12-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Has anybody received any more information on this contest???? Was hoping this was the real thing.

ThomEmery
12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I hear it has a $1500 entry fee sanctioned by the BSBA

txschutte
12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
WTF is BSBA??

bigdogphin
12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
WTF is BSBA??

uuuhh.. B...S...Barbecue Association

Just thinking out loud:-D

Jeff_in_KC
12-14-2010, 07:29 PM
So they keep changing names of event organizers (I got something from Iden but I hear it's Peake) and sanctioning bodies. KCBS, then Big Sky Culinary Society and now BSBA... what's next? So far, I've seen zero evidence that this group is A.) legit B.) knows what the hell they're doing or C.) knows what the rules are or what their payout actually is. I'll take a raincheck.

Dr_KY
12-14-2010, 07:29 PM
$1500 bones ?!? The guy that hits that DAL isn't going to want to face the wife any time soon.

Finney
12-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I heard $1500 entry also Tom.

swamprb
12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
News Flash! Just in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzPUZwev7V8&feature=related

Phi Zappa Crappa

Merl
12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
From the Quick Notes of the Board December 8, 2010:

"Wayne Lohman made a motion to require Lewistown, Mt. to provide financial security and to secure the deficiencies of sanctioning within 5 business days. In the event the organizer of the Lewistown, Mt contest fail to come into compliance, within 5 business days, then KCBS sanctioning will be withdrawn. The motion was seconded by Don Harwell.

Vote:
10 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions
The motion to obtain financial security and to cure the deficiencies of sanctioning as to the Lewistown, Mt. contest, passes."

I have been advised by the KCBS office that the contest has been removed from the KCBS web site and will not be sanctioned by KCBS.

Merl

HoDeDo
12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
These guys are a bunch of jokers. I'm thinking Brian's view of thier previous attempt to do a comp, and overall "Scam" ideas are correct. I wouldnt send them a dime folks. :) Or put it on a credit card that has fraud protection...
Jesse Montana / Jesse Iden / Jesse S. whatever... something doesnt add up for sure. Big thanks to KCBS, for having them get thier sh*! together.

Dallasbbqcaterting
12-23-2010, 02:53 PM
wow $100k, I may make the trip for that!

swamprb
12-23-2010, 07:26 PM
wow $100k, I may make the trip for that!

Say Hi to Frank!