PDA

View Full Version : BBQ In Minnesota Twin Cities

fweck
11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Got this link from my Wife (got to Love Her!), supposed to be the best BBQ places in the Twin Cities. Have only had Famous Daves:rolleyes:, but have wanted to try Big Daddy's. Anyone tried any of these?
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-barbecue-twin-cities-bbq/

ibait2fish
11-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Had Rudolph's (not that big a fan, but coleslaw is Damn good), Ted Cook's (good),
Famous Dave's (as you would expect), and Market (personal favorite, but the
quality can vary).

MOS95B
11-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Never heard of most of those places. My Step-daughter and son-in-law rave about Q-fanatic, though

Captain P.J.
11-19-2010, 08:22 AM
I had Big Daddy's BBQ in Frogtown a few years ago... Pretty good but not the cleanest of joints (chicken and rib bones in the parking lot amongst other things) from what I remember... That being said, I would stop again if I am in the area!

carlyle
11-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Not familiar with most on the list including Big Daddy's. Been to Famous Daves ugh.
Used to like Market BBQ. Was partial to their chicken. Liked that sauce was on the side.

Becoming CBJ turned me into BBQ snob. Nothing else come close to that competition
cooking. So have not been to any BBQ in Cities for a while.

If you try Big Daddy's , let the rest of us know how it is.

cricky101
11-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I keep hearing about Pastor Hamilton's BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/I%20keep%20hearing%20about%20Pastor%20Hamilton%27s %20http://www.pastorhamilton-bbq.com/rest.html%20%20%20but%20haven%27t%20been%20there.) in East St. Paul but haven't ever been there ...

A couple of my friends stopped by there and said it was awesome, but I don't know how to judge their BBQ reviews, although they really like mine :becky:

pahutchens
11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I haven't been to Cap's in a long time but did enjoy it. They also make a wicked BLT.
Bakers in Eden Prairie is good again been a while, they won best hot links a few years back.
Rack Shack BBQ, 2925 E Cliff Road, Burnsville, MN 55337, is new. I won a free drawing for lunch. My oldest daughter and fellow CBJ enjoed it she had the pulled pork sammie southern style and I had brisket sammie. Brisket wasn't bad, but I had judged two days before so was a little disappointed. They have a bunch of sauces, one that would make your pee burn from the generous ghost peppers in it.

Haven't been to Q-tastic. they and C&G's on 47th and Nicollet Ave S Mpls were at the Renfest. When I had C&G's shortly after they opened I was disappointed with the ribs, a little to chewy.

Rudolphs I only go every 20 years, cute movie theme, Some of the better meat there tends to be on the hoof (heels) :redface:

Spicy McHaggis
11-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm originally from Minneapolis - My personal preference has always been Market BBQ, but I haven't been in quite some time. I also remember when the first Famous Dave's opened in Minneapolis (42nd and Upton Ave) and being blown away with how good it was. Famous Dave's has since expanded so much that I believe the quality has suffered. I visited a Famous Dave's chain in California and was bitterly disappointed. That said, the Upton Ave Dave's seems to have always maintained its consistency. I grew up across the street from the owner of Rudolph's in the mid 70s (when the restaurant first opened). My brother was friends with one of the owner's sons and we used to go to the restaurant on special occasions. It was really one of the first BBQ places in town - I was never a fan.

It's my understanding there are several "newer" BBQ joints in the Twin Cities area that are worth a try. I'll have to check them out on my next visit too, so I'll be watching this thread.

:-D

cmartin
03-22-2011, 08:49 AM
I visited Famous Dave's chain in California as well and I must say it was ok. I agree that it used to be better when it was still a relatively small chain. I'd have a not so topic orientated question as well- with you being from Minneapolis. I am planning on going sometime and I'd like to know if there are some places you can recommend that one should definitely visit. I found this webpage where they list the top 10 things to do in Minneapolis (http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Eschw0888/Life/top-10-things-minneapolis.html). What do you think? Is anything missing?

Big D BBQ
03-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Best BBQ in the Twin Cities (well actually 1 1/2 hours South) is in my back yard :)

Q-Fanatic is OK (my brother lives in Champlin), Rudolfs is OK (I do love their cole slaw though), Market BBQ is not what it was, Bakers in Eden Prairie is probably my favorite on the list. I stop at Baldy's in Lakeville just because its about the midpoint of my drive home, and Dickies in Coon Rapidsr, blech...

I do go to Famous Daves, One day a year on "Daves" Day for the free meal. Its a good reminder on how not to do bbq :)

Big D BBQ
03-22-2011, 09:36 AM
For fun a group of 6 of us hold an annual RibDiculous in the Champlin Area where we invite are family for a feast. We picked up a couple racks of Q-Fanatic ribs and blindly added them to the competition.

I think they came in 3rd or 4th. Now I wouldn't say we have a fully trained que panel of judges, but we do have a good cross range of the general public handle the voting and its a lot of fun.

Big D BBQ
03-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Too Cmartin:

What do you like to do? the list is pretty good, if you like the artsy / theater stuff. If you are here when the weather is nice, I like to go to the Minneapolis Landscape Arboretum. Very nice in the summer. A walk around Lake Calhoun is nice if you like to walk. Block E in Minneapolis is kinda a nice visit, and one thing not listed is to get to Target Feild for a baseball game. Awesome new outdoor park even if you are not a baseball fan.

jimmyinsd
03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
I had Big Daddy's BBQ in Frogtown a few years ago... Pretty good but not the cleanest of joints (chicken and rib bones in the parking lot amongst other things) from what I remember... That being said, I would stop again if I am in the area!

1. that just tells me that the portions are really good (apparently customers are leaving the place with food)

2. and the food must be pretty damn good cuz apparently the people cant wait to get home to dig into those doggie bags.

:-D

Capn Kev
03-23-2011, 12:18 AM
When I used to live in the upper midwest back in the early 90's, Famous Dave's used to be the bomb! I think there were maybe 4 of them back when I ate there. The one I remember eating at was off of I-494 and was served with a platter, and a number. They brought it to your table when it was ready. It was really good. Now, well...they've fallen victim to many of the other big "chain" mass-production processes. Most Famous Dave's are spotty at best...and you can tell that the ribs were pre-cooked for that day. However, they're still better than Dickey's and some of the other big chains.