PDA

View Full Version : I want to say "Thank You" to KCBS....

Brewmaster
11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
My church held a little fundraiser this weekend. They did a 5K run with a Rib Competition. There were only 6 teams competing and I was one of them. I also cooked ribs, burgers, and hot dogs for public.

So anyway, back to my "Thank you". The organizer, who also cooked in the contest, hand picked the judges. I don't have a problem with this because we still used a blind turn-in. The problem I have is with the knowledge of what these judges think is good BBQ.

I would like to say "THANK YOU" to KCBS for putting a system in place that puts some order and consistency to how the judges decide a winner.

Apparently if we didn't have this consistency, this is what wins:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/ngrodeon/Ribs6.jpg

I was told by the cook that the rub was brown sugar and cayenne. He was very proud of them and wanted me to try one. So I did. As I ate the mushy, granular crunchy rib, I thought I had this one in the bag.

I was wrong.

I got 2nd.

Thank you KCBS and all the CBJs for adding a little consistency and knowledge to this sport.

Cheers,
Nate

boogiesnap
11-08-2010, 08:40 AM
:shocked:

Dr_KY
11-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Question is what place did those free radical sub quenching agent ribs get?

Brewmaster
11-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Question is what place did those free radical sub quenching agent ribs get?

1st.

Lake Dogs
11-08-2010, 09:37 AM
This is exactly why there are sanctioning bodies. Otherwise you end up with willy nilly.

My teammates and I get asked quite often to participate in a few local unsanctioned
competitions and we've always politely declined. I will help and volunteer assistance,
but I'm not going to cook when there's willy nilly afoot. Honestly, it's just too time
consuming to "play that game".

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
did Smoke in Da eye cook those ribs? :-P

Dr_KY
11-08-2010, 09:58 AM
That
is
just
so
wrong.

In all honesty just like hundreds of you I hear people bang on about boiling ribs in this country. A few 'foodie' sites I use to visit from time to time have members that swear by boiling ribs and oven cooking chicken before grilling every time.

I just gave up on them in the end.

Lake Dogs
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Why wasnt he just using a nice coleman propane stove, vs. defiling a nice weber that way?...

stl-rich
11-08-2010, 10:28 AM
At the risk of getting crucified, I don't think KCBS juding is good/consistant, whatever because the KCBS imposes a standard but becuase at most KCBS comps the judges are more experienced than at a small church function.

Experienced judges know that those boiled ribs are LOUSY

Rich Parker
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
At least they were boiled outside on the grill. :)

Lake Dogs
11-08-2010, 12:16 PM
At least they were boiled outside on the grill. :)

Blurs the lines, doesn't it?!?!?!

rescue_ranger
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
:puke:Sorry they look like my old field boots, we would drop new leather boots into boiling water to soften them up speed up the break-in time, maybe thats what going on here speeding up the "pass-through" the gut time :doh:

HBMTN
11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Unfortunalty I have had simular results in local competitions, pi$$es you off when it happens but wait a year or two and you will laugh about it.

Ken V
11-08-2010, 06:14 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!:sick:

nthole
11-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh man, those ribs look great? If they were turned in completely covered in some good Kraft sauce I would probably think I'd died and gone to heaven.

Or at least I would have died and gone somewhere... :wink:

quarters69
11-08-2010, 07:21 PM
That shouldn't even be allowed, to ruin a nice slap of ribs like that :pray:

jbrink01
11-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Nate,
I cooked a local one in New Haven. 10 teams. I bought two spots so I would have room to vend. They gave me 2 entries. I took my turn ins fron the same butt and tri tip. I was team 2 and 4. Team 4 had 1st beef and 1st chicken, 5thOA. Team 2 was 2nd OA with no calls.......WTF???

landarc
11-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, obviously JBrink, you must have been much more consistent as Team 2. Team 4 was much better at the same things you did, but, not as consistent.