PDA

View Full Version : thinking of doing a competition on long island next spring

Smokin' Aces
10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
would like to do a fundraiser bbq competition at the coliseum in uniondale some how for a stroke foundation..... would ant be able to try and help me put this together ? looking to do this around next spring. thank you

Divemaster
10-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Not in the area, but alot of the gang here are.

Wish you nothing but luck!

motoeric
10-29-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd be happy to lend a hand. Before you get started, you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Where will you hold this event? The coliseum won't work. They would require you to use union labor to do everything. Set up teams tents, unload equipment, etc.

2) How will you pay for the area that you are using?

3) How will you raise money for the charity?

4) How will you pay for prizes?

5) Will the event be sanctioned? Where will that money come from?

6) Do you have a staff that you'll be working with? Believe it or not, it's a lot of work.

7) Will the event be a standard BBQ comp? ie. What categories will you have?

8 Who will judge the contest?

9) How will you advertise?

10) Are there any other events in the area during the time frame that you're looking at?

Feel free to lmk if I can help out at all.

Eric

Smokenstein & monster crew
10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Just shows you, all the hard work you guys put into these things. The phone calls, the BS, the ups & downs.......More credit to you, phil & anyone crazy enough to set this stuff up for a bunch guys in love with the comp of Que....
WE ALL SHOULD THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME & EFFORT with anything you guys do to get this stuff up and running every year.

As far as the starter of the thread, more power to you & you ability to do for others. Charity & good will for others is very few & far between these days. We do march of dimes, smile train, breast cancer & others........pass the love

SmokeInDaEye
10-30-2010, 08:04 PM
A contest I can walk to. I'm in! I could probably get some Islanders involved.

rookiedad
10-31-2010, 08:55 AM
I'd be happy to lend a hand. Before you get started, you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Where will you hold this event? The coliseum won't work. They would require you to use union labor to do everything. Set up teams tents, unload equipment, etc.

2) How will you pay for the area that you are using?

3) How will you raise money for the charity?

4) How will you pay for prizes?

5) Will the event be sanctioned? Where will that money come from?

6) Do you have a staff that you'll be working with? Believe it or not, it's a lot of work.

7) Will the event be a standard BBQ comp? ie. What categories will you have?

8 Who will judge the contest?

9) How will you advertise?

10) Are there any other events in the area during the time frame that you're looking at?

Feel free to lmk if I can help out at all.

Eric

Eric,
are there any how-to tutorials available to answer some of these questions for anyone wanting to start out new?

Smokin' Aces
10-31-2010, 10:12 AM
yea i was figuring there is a lot of room there i am in the talks with some peple but how would i get soe sponsors going for this would i just call up the company or do i have to do something else.

indianagriller
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
the BBQ Central Radio show had BBQ Thom on his show a while back and they spoke about what it takes to put on a competition. It is the June 22nd edition of After Dark.