PDA

View Full Version : Observation on facebook

Yakfishingfool
10-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Karen Walker mentions that there have been over about 52000 turn in boxes used this year. Do you realize that styro-foam has about a 5000 year life expectancy! We need to do something to change this!!!

Buster Dog BBQ
10-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Not much choice of containers out there that are as readily available as a 9 x9 box. Yes, there are probably some nice things on the market but they have to be able to hold up to heat, weight, be disposable, etc. We eat out a lot and I haven't seen much alternative for to go boxes. Maybe a good idea for KCBSs R&D to work with a vendor on such a thing.

bamaman76
10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
But on the flip side of this conversation. The chemicals they use to make recyclable products is worse on the environment then the turn in boxes will be.

dgassaway
10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
PNWBA uses green boxes. Not sure what the material used is but personally I like them better then the KCBS styro boxes. The sides are straighter and they are much more durable. Maybe swamperb knows where they get them if not I can try to find out if anyones interested.

BBQ Grail
10-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Styro-foam is a registered trademark of Dow Chemical. The actual material is extruded #6 plastic polystyrene. And it can be recycled.

The problem is there is no money to be made in recycling this product so those recycling facilities that accept it are only doing it as a benefit to the environment. With a 1,000 life span it's going to be around awhile.

One alternative would be to require comp organizers to ship their used styrofoam to one of the recycling centers that accept this material through the mail. Maybe not the best solution, but it's a solution.

Another alternative would be to require them to spray the containers with Lemonine. This naturally made citrus product will shrink styrofoam to 1/20th of it's original size. This process would at least take up less space during the 1,000 years it sits in the landfill.

There is also a box of the same dimensions made out of sugar cane that biodegrades in 120 days when used.

Thank you, Yak for bringing this issue up.

nthole
10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Wow...I knew styrofoam was bad, but it never occurred to me that we were adding to the problem with a significant amount just through competitions.

Thanks for bring it up. However the 9x9s are easily accessible in every city and cost effective. Is there an alternative product from the Sams/Costco/Walmart/Restaurant Depot type company that is ready available, environmentally friendly and cost effective?

Sounds like a good position for a Board candidate to take and create a solution for.

jasonalan724
10-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I like the stryo products that they make out of potato starches and paper, great strength and totaly bio degradable

Q-Dat
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Not to say that we shouldn't look out for the environment, but I'm gonna say that if you compressed all of those 52,000 boxes into a single block, that it would not seem like nearly as much poly styrene. If it were all incinerated, I'm betting the combined pollution from all of it wouldn't even come close to equaling all of the lighter fluid and Kingsford blue bag that is burned in a year. Not to mention all the cheap off brand charcoal that is made from God knows what.

Again not to sound like I don't care because I do. If more environmentally friendly containers are available then by all means lets use em. But if they aren't cost effective then lets not forget that most cookoffs benefit a charity of some kind and we wouldn't want to cut into that. Haha not that likely though. They would probably just raise the entry fees ;D

Weiser
10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
My first thought was the additional costs involved to address this
disaster. Then, I slapped myself! This is totally stupid.
Compressed or compacted, the 52,000 containers wouldn't make a bale measuring more than
2.875 square feet!

I have more important things to worry about than crap like this.:shocked:

Not to say that we shouldn't look out for the environment, but I'm gonna say that if you compressed all of those 52,000 boxes into a single block, that it would not seem like nearly as much poly styrene. If it were all incinerated, I'm betting the combined pollution from all of it wouldn't even come close to equaling all of the lighter fluid and Kingsford blue bag that is burned in a year. Not to mention all the cheap off brand charcoal that is made from God knows what.

Again not to sound like I don't care because I do. If more environmentally friendly containers are available then by all means lets use em. But if they aren't cost effective then lets not forget that most cookoffs benefit a charity of some kind and we wouldn't want to cut into that. Haha not that likely though. They would probably just raise the entry fees ;D

Louisiana Smoker
10-27-2010, 07:52 PM
G.E.T Enterprises (http://67.99.204.233/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EC) in Houston offers a 9x9 recyclaboe/reusable to go container. They are a bit expensive but you can reuse them over and over. They come in a variety of colors and options. Seems like they were around $3.00 each
They are stackable, dishwasher safe, break resistant, mocrowaveable, etc...

Weiser
10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
If i decide to use these, will you wash them?
I didn't think so.

Yazoo's
10-27-2010, 08:09 PM
We used an eco-friendly box at a contest. While we liked the dimensions and stability, the material seemed to absorb moisture from the product to the point that the organizer let us line it with foil- which kind of defeated the purpose of the box.

Louisiana Smoker
10-27-2010, 08:22 PM
If i decide to use these, will you wash them?
I didn't think so.

The mechanics could be worked out. All new ideas or systems require everyone working together to resolve and come up with solutions. To many people want to sit back, point out what is wrong but fail to assist in coming up with solutions. My philosophy is there is never an absolute and given enough time and thought any problem can be resolved.

Assuming you follow the local HD rules and have a wash, rinse and sanitize station then how hard is it or how long would it take? :boxing:

Just saying :tsk:

Johnny_Crunch
10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
should stop reading facebook it sounds like :-P

rookiedad
10-27-2010, 09:05 PM
why not switch to those tinfoil to go containers that are easily obtainable and redily recyclable. i wonder how many of those styrofoam containers are used for their intended purpose during the same time period though.

Jeff_in_KC
10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Seriously? 52,000? Compared to all the "to go" boxes at every restaurant in America? SMALL potatoes.

deez butts
10-27-2010, 10:36 PM
The BBQ comp at the Norwalk Oyster Festival in Norwalk CT used green enviro-friendly containers. I thought they were fine.

C Rocke
10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Styro-foam is a registered trademark of Dow Chemical. The actual material is extruded #6 plastic polystyrene. And it can be recycled.

The problem is there is no money to be made in recycling this product so those recycling facilities that accept it are only doing it as a benefit to the environment. With a 1,000 life span it's going to be around awhile.

One alternative would be to require comp organizers to ship their used styrofoam to one of the recycling centers that accept this material through the mail. Maybe not the best solution, but it's a solution.

Another alternative would be to require them to spray the containers with Lemonine. This naturally made citrus product will shrink styrofoam to 1/20th of it's original size. This process would at least take up less space during the 1,000 years it sits in the landfill.

There is also a box of the same dimensions made out of sugar cane that biodegrades in 120 days when used.

Thank you, Yak for bringing this issue up.

I would like to see where I can get a bottle of that Lemonine to spray on myself...

swamprb
10-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Seattle has banned styrofoam take out boxes and the PNWBA has started phasing in the biodegradable clam shell boxes. Hard to tell by the pic, but I kind of like them.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/YakimaTreeTop10/Langley10/IMG_2559.jpg

Diva Q
10-28-2010, 05:56 AM
I got to use a biodegradable PNWBA clam shell box this year and I really liked it as well. I don't see any reason why the KCBS could not use these as well. They were very durable. No absorption issues and just a really nice box with true sizing.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-28-2010, 08:04 AM
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/green-wave-tw-boo-011-9-x-9-x-3-microwavable-biodegradable-take-out-container-300-cs/395TWBOO011.html

I use these for certain events. They are almost 4x's the cost of regular but they are out there. They have a main factory in CA and NY. If you want there here they are, there is no difference. Also wholefoods use bio takeouts like the ones in CT for the comp, the only problem with those is they are paperbase and they stain and do not clean up drips very easy. We had to cover all of the side with foil while boxing.

goodsmokebbq
10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
I got to use a biodegradable PNWBA clam shell box this year and I really liked it as well. I don't see any reason why the KCBS could not use these as well. They were very durable. No absorption issues and just a really nice box with true sizing.

KCBS does not provide the boxes to the events, each organizer is required to get there own. They would have to make some kind of mandate and I am not sure how this would be received.

goodsmokebbq
10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/green-wave-tw-boo-011-9-x-9-x-3-microwavable-biodegradable-take-out-container-300-cs/395TWBOO011.html

I use these for certain events. They are almost 4x's the cost of regular but they are out there. They have a main factory in CA and NY. If you want there here they are, there is no difference. Also wholefoods use bio takeouts like the ones in CT for the comp, the only problem with those is they are paperbase and they stain and do not clean up drips very easy. We had to cover all of the side with foil while boxing.

Ya, the paper ones were OK from a structural stand point, but it was a mess trying to clean up. Smears all over the sides...

Podge
10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
:bored:

Jorge
10-28-2010, 01:26 PM
In terms of environmental responsibility it would make more sense to provide containers for aluminum cans and bottles for teams, and then dispose of them properly.

Scottie
10-28-2010, 05:57 PM
In terms of environmental responsibility it would make more sense to provide containers for aluminum cans and bottles for teams, and then dispose of them properly.

Just hang around my sister. She goes home with a bag of recyclables ....

monty3777
10-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Good point. I also think that a container for recycling tin foil and tin pans would be helpful and I can't imagine it would be that hard to provide something like that at comps.

This is a helpful thread!

LGHT
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
I think it would make more sense for the location hosting the comp to provide recycling containers just as they provide trash cans. The KCBS reps already have enough to do as it is and now you want them to also be in charge of recycling?

monty3777
10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
I think it would make more sense for the location hosting the comp to provide recycling containers just as they provide trash cans. The KCBS reps already have enough to do as it is and now you want them to also be in charge of recycling?

I don't recall anyone suggesting that the reps would be responsible for recycling efforts.

LGHT
10-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Exactly!

BBQ PD
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
We hosted a backyard event a few times, and I can not believe how much room those things took up in the dumpster. Didn't know there was a product out there that would shrink the stuff. Ok Larry, where do I buy it?

landarc
10-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Out here, even the general waste is sent through a recycling sort, the stuff from a event center is also sorted for recyclables. Most of the restaurants out here have to use non-styrofoam containers and once the resistance to change factor was overcome, the change was not so bad (and yes, I do know several restaurant owners). I like those clamshells that are paper or plastic over the foam ones (although lemonine sounds cool).

I also do not understand the hostility towards trying to reduce the waste stream, does being a BBQ person mean we have to not care about how much we waste?

Rub
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
TaterWare (http://www.earth-to-go.com/clamshells)

Moisture resistant, sturdy and fully biodegradable, these clamshells with heavy-duty hinges are made from our patented potato-based resin. One, two, and three compartments are available in various sizes.

Suitable for Hot & Cold Foods
Heat Stable to 300F
Freezer Safe and Micro-Warmable
Resists grease and cuts
Leakproof
Premium Embossed Design for Strength
Meets FDA Requirements for Direct Food Contact
I got some samples, not too bad. Little pricey.

Yakfishingfool
10-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Great stuff here folks. I agree, just becuase others aren;t trying to reduce their footprint doesn't mean we shouldn't. There is a tremendous amount of waste that could see future use.