PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it to get buy half/whole pig?

eagle697
10-26-2010, 06:51 PM
I am always looking on cl for anything bbq related, and stumbled on a local person who raises duroc/landrace cross hogs. They are 7 months old and the smallest of them weighs in at a little over 200 lbs. She sells them live, or can have them butchered to my specs. She said buying a half hog and having it butchered the cost is $4.50 lb. And i was wondering if the per pound is finished weight or on the hoof weight? This seems a little high to me, as i never pay 4.5 a lb for any pork i buy. Is the meat that much better on this breed/cross? I know if i buy the whole hog the price goes down, but I figure i will get a deer or two from friends, so i didn't want to get the whole thing and totally monopolize the freezer with meat. I have purchased a half cow like this in the past, thought it has been many years, and i don't remember it being this high.
Any input would be great.

monty3777
10-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't know about your area, but I just bought an Iowa hog (killed and dressed) for $1.90 per lb. That price seems high to me.

Chef Country
10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
yeah that seems a little high to me but it takes a lot of feed to feed out a hog, i just got done feeding out 3 on for my brother in law, one for smoking, and one for my freezer, at the end they were eating 150 lbs per week but teh smallest one had a hanging weight of 215 so it probly weighed 280 live weight personaly i would take one in smaller than 250 live weight but I have the coice bc i buy them small and feed them out, cost more but taste better, I wish everyone could raise their own

BBQ Grail
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
$4.50 per pound hanging weight is a way to much.
$4.50 per pound processed weight may be closer to reasonable depending upon the type of hog.

eagle697
10-26-2010, 07:26 PM
4.50 covers the pig, slaughter, and processing to my specs. It is a duroc/landrace cross. I've never cooked this breed before. (unless that's whats at the store) Anyone?

Learnin Querve
10-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't know about your area, but I just bought an Iowa hog (killed and dressed) for $1.90 per lb. That price seems high to me.

Just curious, how big was the dressed hog, and how much sausage/ground pork did you get?

Chris

Mister Bob
10-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Dressed and scraped, ready for the pit, my butcher charges $2.25/lb for 50 to 100 pounds, $2.00/lb for 101 to 130 pounds and $1.75/lb for 131 pounds and up.

jestridge
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
that a good cross ,but it way to high ,maybe it an organice hog. You can buy it from any grocery chain cheaper than that.

eagle697
10-26-2010, 08:41 PM
that a good cross ,but it way to high ,maybe it an organice hog. You can buy it from any grocery chain cheaper than that.
Not sure if its organic, but she said it had only been fed produce, grain, and acorns. I am thinking the price is a bit high. May see ow much it would drop if i got the whole thing and maybe split it with someone.

jestridge
10-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Acorn suppose to make good meat. If it was raise this way ,the meat will be firmer and darker in color , should have more of a pork taste

buttsNbrisket
10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
I'll consider spliting it with you if its a more reasonable price .. PM me

Hoss
10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
IMHO,NOPE,pass.I buy em,but the butcher is a friend and will cut anyway I like it.:tape:Be CAREFUL!!! You will end up with a buncha stuff you will never use.:doh: Just sayin,It's cheaper to buy the cuts you like when they are on sale....No waste.:wink:

WC BBQ
10-27-2010, 01:00 AM
I only pay that much if it's a 4H kid... The Duroc has good muscling, The Landrace are good for breeding and are known for big hams and loins. i used to cross my Durocs with Hamps. Now a days I've gone back to black pigs for flavor, I like the berks whenever I can get them.

NRA4Life
10-27-2010, 05:47 AM
I don't know anything about a Duroc, but that price for pork is obscene. I'm buying a half a pig this Friday and roasting it Friday night-Sat. morning. These are locally grown and butchered by a local butcher. These generally cost me about $0.85-$0.95/lb final cost. It is skinned, with no head or feet, trimmed, and inspected/stamped with a dept of agriculture stamp. I'd never pay $4.50 a lb for any pork.

Garyclaw
10-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Remember, it's cut, wrapped and frozen to his specs. Not just a whole hog for roasting. A little more work there. $4.50/lb. might be a little high, so it sounds like she's trying to recoup her total costs to raise it. Half a 200 lb. (live) pig won't take up too much room in your freezer either. You might get 60-70 lbs. of meat. I try to get my hogs to as close to 300 lbs. as I can before the winter sets in. (no fun to raise pigs up here in the winter) Did you find out the price for the whole pig?

monty3777
10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Just curious, how big was the dressed hog, and how much sausage/ground pork did you get?

Chris

75 lbs dressed. This is a roasting pig so it wasn't processed.

NRA4Life
10-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Remember, it's cut, wrapped and frozen to his specs. Not just a whole hog for roasting.

Yes, that is true. The one I'm getting is a roaster. $4.50/lb is still obscene even if it is cut and wrapped to an individual's preference.

Garyclaw
10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Yes, that is true. The one I'm getting is a roaster. $4.50/lb is still obscene even if it is cut and wrapped to an individual's preference.

You're right Kevin, that is way high. I went back through my records the past few years and the highest price I sold my pigs for was $1.50/lb. live. I get my feed really cheap though (I work/farm for it) and I'm selling to family and friends, plus I get my whole pig for free. I keep my costs down and pass it on to my buyers. At most, $3.00/lb. wouldn't be that bad but $4.50 is way too much, even for just a half. I'm sure she's paying alot for feed with the past high corn prices though.

Hawg Father of Seoul
10-27-2010, 08:34 AM
If this person is legitimate.... (I personally see the pigs foraging and there is enough acorns to equal a remarkable percentage of their diet)..... I'd pay it for a half. Well I'd pay less, but that has to do with negotiation.

Better costs more.

MattG
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Dressed and scraped, ready for the pit, my butcher charges $2.25/lb for 50 to 100 pounds, $2.00/lb for 101 to 130 pounds and $1.75/lb for 131 pounds and up.

this is close to what I pay.

early mornin' smokin'
10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
so basically $450 for half a pig, that's a whole shoulder, rack of BB's, rack of spares, some rib tips, a little bit of bacon, a loin and a ham. A little too pricey for pork imho. the skin alone on half a pig weighs in at about 30lbs.

AUradar
10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
I butcherd a cow a few years ago. I'm thinking it was 60 cents a pound (processed wieght) for butcher and wrapped (to my specs). Same price for pigs. The cow was all grass fed. I figured if I had grain fed it, or even bought one, it would have run me $2 a pound total.

so $4.50 seems alwfully high to me. But I have never actually priced one out.

jestridge
10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
IProcessing around here is around 35 cent per pound, that cut up and vacume seal.

eagle697
10-27-2010, 05:35 PM
So i talked with the lady again, and for whole pig, cost drops to $4/lb. She has two that she thought would produce about 125 lbs of meat, and one that she thought would be right at 175. If i got the smaller one, that would run me $248 for a shoulder, ham, loin, 1 rack bb ribs, 1 rack spares, enough belly for a slab of bacon, and some assorted stuff ground into sausage. Seems a bit high to me.
I found another person not too far away that sells heritage meat by the half/whole, and by the cut. I know it wont be the exact same, but thinking of trying the whole heritage breed thing a few cuts first before i jump in whole hog. (pun intended)

jestridge
10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
That would be a good ideal>