PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the US, anyone know of Johnny Trigg's classes?

Spode
10-25-2010, 01:49 AM
I have a chance of doing a road trip to the USA next year (from Australia) and since I love bbq and ribs specifically, I want to go from bbq place to lace, and also look at taking Johnny Trigg's cooking class. I have heard of this class on TV but can't find any website describing it, and I have looked all afternoon.

Can anyone help please, does this in fact exist?

Also, I would fly in to LA and then have to move around from there, are there any must visit bbq joints, or are there any competitions that allow people to view?

Thanks
Ryan

ThomEmery
10-25-2010, 07:29 AM
http://www.kcbs.us/
Event ideas

Trigg may do classes in 2011
In the resent past he has worked them with Pellet Envy

LGHT
10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow sounds like an amazing trip! I have always wanted to go to Australia for the seafood and diving. Do you guys have any real BBQ spots in Autstralia? The best time to visit LA for BBQ competitions is in the summer months. There isn't a lot of competitions, but if you check the KCBS website you can see the list and plan your trip around attending one of the bigger events. Here are some of the bigger BBQ joints in and around LA area.

Spring Street Smoke House - LA
Huston's Texas Pit Bar-B-Cue - Hollywood
Kansas City BBQ Company - North Hollywood
Baby Blues Bar-B-Q - Venice
Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas Bar-B-Que - Van Nuys
The Smoke Joint - LA
Joey's Smokin' BBQ - Manhattan Beach

Spydermike72
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I spoke to Rod at the Royal and he said he is doing a class with Trigg in 2011, possibly Hammond LA, but nothing is firm yet.

1FUNVET
10-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I spoke to Rod at the Royal and he said he is doing a class with Trigg in 2011, possibly Hammond LA, but nothing is firm yet.

Wonder why in the world he chose Hammond ?

Spode
10-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks very much, I am going to contact Pellet Envy. Seems pretty cheap, or at least acceptable to me, so I'll go for it.

So are competitions open to the public to go and have a look, or just closed to competitors?

ThomEmery
10-26-2010, 07:42 AM
open you can look around
:) within reason that is

Dustaway
10-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Ryan,
When will you be visiting the US?

Rookie'48
10-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Ryan, if you're going to land in SoCal get hold of BigMista. He vends at a whole bunch of farmers' markets out there and his food is great. It will help you a bunch if you get a GPS device (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) to help you find your way in a very strange country.
Keep us posted on the when & where you are going to be. I'm sure that a lot of us would like to meet up with you face to face.

Spode
10-26-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm trying to plan for July or September. That way it's past the financial year end here and I can get away from work, and I also skip cold weather here and see some summer there! And there is time to save up! Thanks for all the help guys, I have printed this off to start planing around some of the details.

Spode
11-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Does anyone have a more direct contact for the Pellet Envy people? I tried contacting them about the class through their website by filling in their "contact us" form but it's been two weks and no reply.

DMDon
11-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Rod hangs out here some, try pm'ing him. He is kcpellethead

If you are visiting the midwest at contact us, you are welcome to hang out with us for a contest. Stretch your trip into the first weekend of Oct and attend the American Royal in KC. Everyone who loves BBQ should attend/cook it at least once. There will be dozens of brethern teams there. who will be more than happy to show you how they cook.

Does anyone have a more direct contact for the Pellet Envy people? I tried contacting them about the class through their website by filling in their "contact us" form but it's been two weks and no reply.

Jorge
11-08-2010, 09:30 AM

I'm not sure how many days Rod has been at home in the last month or so, based on his contest schedule. I'm sure he'll get to it as soon as he has the opportunity. I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have a firm schedule set for next year right now. This is the end of a long BBQ season, and he's still in the Team Of the Year chase. Last year he was chasing points all over the country until the end of November or early December.

Ashmont
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks very much, I am going to contact Pellet Envy. Seems pretty cheap, or at least acceptable to me, so I'll go for it.

So are competitions open to the public to go and have a look, or just closed to competitors?

If you come in April you can hang with us at a comp were finally going to get to do!

Spode
11-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. I am still amazed by how kind and collaborative this forum is. I will definately be trying to at least visit the Royal, that was well beyond my dreams just to see it, and would love to see you all. Ryan