PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with my turn ins

PorkysBBQ1
10-22-2010, 12:15 PM
We need some help. We have been competing for about 3 years and get some calls but not on a regular basis and not any in the top 5. I have attached a few pictures of our turn ins from the Royal this year. We are also looking for help with our flavor profiles. We are mostly using sweet and moderate on heat. :confused:

Thanks

tigercc
10-22-2010, 12:48 PM
The question I have is what your scores normally look like for taste and tenderness in each category. You can have all 9's in appearance but if you are getting killed in taste or tenderness it doesn't matter. On your flavor profiles, what are you currently using?

boogiesnap
10-22-2010, 03:34 PM
i personally use just enough heat to open up and waken the taste buds.
nothing you can really pick out. but its there.
look around here for turn in box pictures. you'll find some great examples on how to improve.
welcome!
and good smoking luck!
lord i hate that guy....

Bentley
10-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Taste and tenderness you will obviously have to find on your own, as a CBJ, if you are gonna use garnish, fill it up, let the meat rest on it like a gentle cloud...or not.

PorkysBBQ1
10-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. We are all over mostly in the 6 to 7 range on both. We do get some 8s and have received a few 9s. Thats why it is so perplexing to us. I have looked into taking a top end class. Thanks for your thoughts

CBQ
10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. We are all over mostly in the 6 to 7 range on both. We do get some 8s and have received a few 9s. Thats why it is so perplexing to us. I have looked into taking a top end class. Thanks for your thoughts

Been there, done that. Best advice I ever got was to take a class once a year. You won't be able to copy anything exactly from a class. You will still have to practice a lot, adapt recipes to your equipment, learn how to fix things that go wrong (power failures, freak storms, forgetting key ingredients at home :icon_blush:, etc.) but it will help a lot with the "what the heck are the judges looking for?" question.

You might not even need a class from an elite team, just a good team in your region can probably teach you a lot, and for a smaller investment.