PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on turn in boxes

BigOlBoysBarBQ
10-19-2010, 05:49 PM
This was a contest that I allowed another guy on my team do the boxes. We are looking for feedback on them. We are by no means experts but always looking to improve. FYI that was our worst brisket cooked to date and it scored the highest.

ModelMaker
10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
OH MY!! Where to begin.....
The chopped up hot dogs look like a nice presentation (there I said sumthin good)
Chicken
Trim them so they are somewhat similar in size, sauce is splotchy and burnt looking. Arrange them to match looks. Double up on greens 6
Ribs
Trim to ST. Louis cut, get them off their sides. 2 rows of 3 or 4, make them look like they were cut from same slab. Slops of sauce on side meat, keep box CLEAN!!
Double up on greens 5
Pork
Not too bad, maybe sauce the pulled (if that suits you) double up the greens 7
Brisket
WOW, Them there are some kinda slices! Cut with a serrated bread knife (must be clean cuts) slices must be equal in width (#2 pencil wide) Line the slices so you only see less than half of the stacked slices. Keep slices same size l to R or show a progression smaller in front to larger in back. Little more greens in the back. 5
Spend some time navigating around this site. There are pictures of award winning boxs here and there, and always somebody around to help a brother out.
Good luck.
Ed

BigOlBoysBarBQ
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback. This was our second contest ever. Compared to our last contest we improved 11 spots.
I would like to defend our "hotdogs" that they were a last minute decision to enter the sausage category and didn't know what we were getting into. Now we know...a fatty is the only way to go.

Our chicken, I agree with the trimming. Right now we are in the debate if we cook with or without the bone, also if we cook with the skin on or skin off. We also used a rub that is mostly brown sugar based and it burned a little which was our screw up.

Thanks for the tips on the ribs. We trimmed the flap and squared them up, but totally cut the cartilage off...will try next time. The sauce is from us trying to reposition them in there so we could fit them in there. That was an amateur move for sure.

We actually sauced the pulled lightly and we all agreed to double up on the greens, our fault we mis-estimated about how much we needed and was short. We took notes of it and that is going to change for sure.

That was our worst brisket. It was overcooked and was ready to be turned into pulled not slicing at all. Thanks for the information on the knife choice. Yea once again we underestimated on the greens so I would agree with that.

Ed Thanks for the input, I am always trying to improve and your input helped a lot.

Thanks

Justin

OH MY!! Where to begin.....
The chopped up hot dogs look like a nice presentation (there I said sumthin good)
Chicken
Trim them so they are somewhat similar in size, sauce is splotchy and burnt looking. Arrange them to match looks. Double up on greens 6
Ribs
Trim to ST. Louis cut, get them off their sides. 2 rows of 3 or 4, make them look like they were cut from same slab. Slops of sauce on side meat, keep box CLEAN!!
Double up on greens 5
Pork
Not too bad, maybe sauce the pulled (if that suits you) double up the greens 7
Brisket
WOW, Them there are some kinda slices! Cut with a serrated bread knife (must be clean cuts) slices must be equal in width (#2 pencil wide) Line the slices so you only see less than half of the stacked slices. Keep slices same size l to R or show a progression smaller in front to larger in back. Little more greens in the back. 5
Spend some time navigating around this site. There are pictures of award winning boxs here and there, and always somebody around to help a brother out.
Good luck.
Ed

ModelMaker
10-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Knowing what to change will help alot. I'm not saying my way or the highway but I believe the things I pointed out will improve your chances at a better score.
Good luck and keep trying to improve.
Your not that far off the curve.
Ed

Rookie'48
10-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Ditto what Ed ^^^^^ said.