PDA

View Full Version : How much (food not money) for a party.

nthole
10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm 'catering' a neighborhood Halloween block party this weekend. That is to say I'm cooking and a couple of families are covering the cost of the meat while the rest bring sides.

Currently have 60 people coming with 20 families yet to respond (most those without kids). If I assume about half the no responders will make it there will be a total of 80 people, split just about evenly with adults and kids (various ages, again split 50/50 with those 2 - 8 and 8 - 16).

I'm planning on making pulled pork (which I already am planning on 1/4 lb per sandwich at 50% loss, so 1/2 lb per planned sandwich) and chicken thighs, wings and legs. What I need help figuring out is about how much of each to plan on. How many sandwiches and how many pieces of chicken would you plan for if you were catering this?

I got plenty of cooking space and I don't mind people taking leftovers, but since other families are chipping in on the meat, I don't want them having to pay more than necessary.

Thanks for your help and sharing your expertise.

NRA4Life
10-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Based on the age variance, I'd plan on 80 sandwiches, 40 thighs, and 40 legs (and skip the wings). That with the side dishes should be enough food. I always like to plan in excess, but you said you don't want the neighbors to over-pay.

Buster Dog BBQ
10-18-2010, 06:31 PM
If you do chicken pieces get them by the case discount at Sam's. Much cheaper. You can do burgers/hot dogs for the kids.