PDA

View Full Version : Butt to Butt

gjdad
10-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Will someone please tell me how this works?

Ron_L
10-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Well... It may change for 2011, but in the past Mike Lake identified specific competitions and the winner in the pork category at those competitions was invited to cook the Butt to Butt, which was held at Shannon, IL just before the Illinois State BBQ Championship.

For 2011 Mike and Theresa are no longer going to be holding the Illinois State BBQ Championship in Shannon and Mike announced that the Butt-to-Butt will be moving to the Capitol City Cookoff in Jefferson City, MO. in April. No other details have been made available that I know of, but I am sure that the info will be coming out as we get closer to the competition dates.

Here is the web site for the Capitol City Cookoff...

http://www.capitalcitycookoff.com/

BBQ_Mayor
10-18-2010, 09:20 AM
We were honored to cook in this event this year at Shannon. Just like Ron said, Mike Lake picks the qualify locations that make up the Butt to Butt contest. Those that want to compete show up on Thursday for a Friday turn in for the Butt to Butt. Then on Friday evening after the cooks meeting for the regular comp, the Butt to Butt winners are announced.
They call everybody up and call out your position leaving the first and last place teams left standing. You kind of want to be left standing, then agian, you kind of don't if you know what I mean.

gjdad
10-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Well... It may change for 2011, but in the past Mike Lake identified specific competitions and the winner in the pork category at those competitions was invited to cook the Butt to Butt, which was held at Shannon, IL just before the Illinois State BBQ Championship.

I see it was kind of a way to draw some top competitors to the main event. :doh: Was this the only butt to butt event?

We were honored to cook in this event this year at Shannon. Just like Ron said, Mike Lake picks the qualify locations that make up the Butt to Butt contest. Those that want to compete show up on Thursday for a Friday turn in for the Butt to Butt. Then on Friday evening after the cooks meeting for the regular comp, the Butt to Butt winners are announced.
They call everybody up and call out your position leaving the first and last place teams left standing. You kind of want to be left standing, then agian, you kind of don't if you know what I mean.

Congrats :clap2: Exactly! :twisted:

Capn Kev
08-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Is the Butt to Butt no longer happening? Just curious.

MoKanMeathead
08-15-2011, 11:27 AM
It was held in Jeff city in April

Plowboy
08-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I thought it was announced somewhere that it wouldn't be happening next year. Could be rumor, but I thought that was the case.

Rub
08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
They call everybody up and call out your position leaving the first and last place teams left standing. You kind of want to be left standing, then agian, you kind of don't if you know what I mean.It was my worst moment in my bbq career. :redface::cry:
Trig came up to me afterwards and said I could blame it on him as he helped come up with that method way-back-when. Thanks a lot, buddy :boxing: :rolleyes:

BasicPatrick
08-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Talk about pressure on stage...winner or DAL. That would suck and be cool all at once.

Capn Kev
08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I thought it was announced somewhere that it wouldn't be happening next year. Could be rumor, but I thought that was the case.

That sucks if it's true. I won Pork at Dillon last weekend, which used to be a qualifier for the B-2-B if I remember correctly. Mike cooked the event last week too. I should have asked him then.

Plowboy
08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
That sucks if it's true. I won Pork at Dillon last weekend, which used to be a qualifier for the B-2-B if I remember correctly. Mike cooked the event last week too. I should have asked him then.

I don't remember Dillon being a qualifier.

Capn Kev
08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't remember Dillon being a qualifier.

I know it is a qualifier for the Chest-to-Chest...wasn't sure about B-2-B.