PDA

View Full Version : American Royal 1st place ribs pic

Bigmista
10-15-2010, 11:03 AM
THe team that won ribs at the American Royal, WHATEVER BBQ, posted a pic of their rib box. Just thought I would share.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs749.snc4/64949_1474701467061_1219437649_31215385_7917486_n. jpg

Comments?

The Virginian
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Looks like a fine, last minute dusting with what, salt?

Scottie
10-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Looks like a fine, last minute dusting with what, salt?

I'd guess powdered rub.

My only critique would be to fill the box. Too much green. But that is why they call it "judging".

Balls Casten
10-15-2010, 11:33 AM
I think it shows things dont have to be perfect.
It would have been interesting to see people "rate my box" on this one without knowing it was a winner.

Nice looking though.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-15-2010, 11:34 AM
They must have tasted really good!

Dustaway
10-15-2010, 11:34 AM
looks like it was glazed with TPJ and sprinkled with cinnamon?

Jorge
10-15-2010, 11:38 AM

My guess was ground...something else:wink:

Brewmaster
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
It's kind of a bad angle, but there is not much color to the meat. Maybe they were boiled.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Wish there was a picture of the side showing the meat...

Just Pulin' Pork
10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Those look good! I would give it a 9 in appearence!

Jeff_in_KC
10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
My only critique would be to fill the box. Too much green. But that is why they call it "judging".

That's why they call it American Royal OPEN judging. :laugh:

Scottie
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
That's why they call it American Royal OPEN judging. :laugh:

Been there, done that... Don't get me wrong, they look good, I just think they can look better. Obviously they nailed taste and texture as well. Heck, maybe I should start doing my boxes like that. I have a feeling I would get bombed though.

Jorge
10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Been there, done that... Don't get me wrong, they look good, I just think they can look better. Obviously they nailed taste and texture as well. Heck, maybe I should start doing my boxes like that. I have a feeling I would get bombed though.

Why must you tempt us?:-P

moocow
10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Here was our 11th place ARO ribs just for comparison. By far not our best box but they tasted pretty darn good! We had a major problem in our cooking process that we overcame. We will take the $150!

Scottie
10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Why must you tempt us?:-P

Sorta like why I want to watch Jackass 3... :thumb:

nthole
10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
The don't seem evenly cut and don't really look that appetizing to me. Wow. I would have taken the 11th place ones over those in a heartbeat.

Warthog
10-15-2010, 01:15 PM
They both sure look fine to me. Wow sure surprises me the way some people seem so over critical.

Lake Dogs
10-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Appearance score is weighted extremely low..... 8's (for example) in appearance with 9's elsewhere wouldnt keep 'em out of 1st place.

nthole
10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Appearance score is weighted extremely low..... 8's (for example) in appearance with 9's elsewhere wouldnt keep 'em out of 1st place.

That is true. If they tasted straight 9 amazing then 8s on appearance won't matter.

SmokeInDaEye
10-15-2010, 01:28 PM

What's TPJ?

Here was our 11th place ARO ribs just for comparison. By far not our best box but they tasted pretty darn good! We had a major problem in our cooking process that we overcame. We will take the $150!

Look pretty good to me. I've had trouble recently with hitting the top of the lid when doing two levels of babybacks.

ique
10-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Thats true at most contests but not at the Royal Open. 1st place at the Royal Open is usually close to a perfect score.

Balls Casten
10-15-2010, 02:42 PM
1) 928 WHAT-EVER 36.0000 36.0000 36.0000 35.4286 34.2858 34.2858 177.7144

That would be …

ique
10-15-2010, 02:51 PM
What's TPJ?

I was thinking Texas Pepper Jelly

moocow
10-15-2010, 03:58 PM
What's TPJ?

Look pretty good to me. I've had trouble recently with hitting the top of the lid when doing two levels of babybacks.
There was some serious parsley smashing going on but they did just clear the lid!

boogiesnap
10-15-2010, 06:02 PM
gotta say, i can find AT LEAST 10 pics of better looking ribs.

but you can't taste a pic so who's to say??

here's one of my faves...

Sylvie
10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
The 1st Place ARO ribs look pretty appealing to me. Large meaty, uniform ribs. I'm thinking the last dusting is of a finely ground rub.

Bentley
10-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Those look good! I would give it a 9 in appearence!

Thats what I thought...

boogiesnap
10-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Thats what I thought...

really?? nines?

i would give a seven AT BEST from me, if not a six(being average).

there's clearly a number of reasons why.

Contracted Cookers
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
texas boys kicked some as on them ribs. looks like ritters sweet nectar rub on those ribs.

Smokin' Bad Habit
10-15-2010, 11:48 PM
you have to be chittin me those are the ARO 1st place ribs..............im at a loss of words.....not so hot in my book

Balls Casten
10-16-2010, 07:51 AM
The 1st Place ARO ribs look pretty appealing to me. Large meaty, uniform ribs. I'm thinking the last dusting is of a finely ground rub.

Thats the first thing that caught my eye. Was that they were NOT uniform. The rib on the right is either from a different rack or out of order.

Fyrman_Mike
10-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Ok, both look nice IMO.

How do you double stack without getting sauce on the lid when closed? Tried it at our last comp and couldn't do it. (Presentation box was done like Pickled Pigs method)

Smokin' Joe
10-16-2010, 01:57 PM
How do you double stack without getting sauce on the lid when closed? Tried it at our last comp and couldn't do it. (Presentation box was done like Pickled Pigs method)

You can't...ok, so I can't anyway:redface: When I have to present that way, mine almost always hit the lid. Never noticed that it has hurt my scores, two of my 1st place ribs calls this year were hitting the top of the lid:-D

Bubba
10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Guys they were right next to me at the Royal. The ribs were THAT good. It also was their FIRST time cooking a KCBS contest. The reason that they came to the Royal was they were part of the Drilling and Grilling team that won the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Show contest. I believe them Texas boys know how to cook a spare rib and did a pretty d##m good job of making a box with parsley.

Bigmista
10-17-2010, 01:17 AM
The other part of the team was next to the Brethren site.

Dr_KY
10-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Hey if you think those ribs were sub first place then the easy thing to do it make the Royal and beat them with yours.:twisted:

Dale P
10-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Online judging is one of the reasons we do not post pics.

boogiesnap
10-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey if you think those ribs were sub first place then the easy thing to do it make the Royal and beat them with yours.:twisted:

personally, i'm not disputing their results. clearly they were some mighty fine tasting ribs.

only commenting on APPEARANCE.

i've seen better presentation is all.

G$
10-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd like to generalize a question:

Why do folks indicate they would score down ribs because they are not uniform?

Appearance is about whether or not it makes you want to dig right in and eat them. Furthermore, a prefectly cooked set of ribs (from one single rack of rib nirvana) would by definition never look "symetrical or even".

OK, It was rhetorical, but still.

Jorge
10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Appearance is about whether or not it makes you want to dig right in and eat them. Furthermore, a prefectly cooked set of ribs (from one single rack of rib nirvana) would by definition never look "symetrical or even".

OK, how about looking like they came from the same rack? You show me 'X' number of ribs side by side, or any other arrangement that makes it appear that they came from the same rack and I'm willing to bet that presentation will score better based solely on appearance. It's human nature. If I can tell that the ribs are laid out as they came of the rib, I believe the vast majority of folks will score them higher.

G$
10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
OK, how about looking like they came from the same rack? You show me 'X' number of ribs side by side, or any other arrangement that makes it appear that they came from the same rack and I'm willing to bet that presentation will score better based solely on appearance. It's human nature. If I can tell that the ribs are laid out as they came of the rib, I believe the vast majority of folks will score them higher.

Actually I agree with you.

So, IF they are from the same rack, we have to accept there will be some variance in size and shape because of the reality of how a rack (spares in particular) is shaped. Symmetry or not, nice ribs that look like they came form a single rack look best to me (as you said above).

However, for some "online judges", if the ribs are not nice and rectangular, and of identical size, they mark them down for lack of symmetry. That is what confounds me*. I would not down grade a rib box appearance based on differing rib sizes between the samples.

*To be fair, a lot confounds me - so this is just one item on a very long list.

Balls Casten
10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok, both look nice IMO.

use less lettuce in the bottom which will let you build the box lower.

Bentley
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2010RoyalandBeyond/IMG_1255.jpg

I am still waiting for my individual judging results from the Royal, I wanna see how many 5's I got on these for apperance and still came in 76th...Beautifully uniform arent they. :doh:

boogiesnap
10-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd like to generalize a question:

Why do folks indicate they would score down ribs because they are not uniform?

OK, It was rhetorical, but still.

meat, by nature is not "uniform" which is more or less uncontrollable, agreed.

however, these particular ribs were not CUT uniformly, which is very much controllable.

and hence COULD take away from their APPEARANCE due to a first impression of lack of skill and or an unattention to detail.

this obviously does not apply in this particular instance.

Diva Q
10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
I think it was last year i got a comment card from a judge that said my food looks too plastic and too perfect. Then i had a very good Über successful BBQ friend critique my boxes and he said the same thing. The trimming was too perfect too molded .When I started going back to making BBQ that still looked like real food not trimmed to death or precisely trimmed so much that it was all uniform my scores improved. A lot. They became much more consistent. I think there is a lot to be said for letting food just look like food.

Pickin' Porkers
10-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Sorta like why I want to watch Jackass 3... :thumb:

Scottie....you be bad....

Bigmista
10-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I think there is a lot to be said for letting food just look like food.

Speak on it homie! I'm tired of the little Star Trek blocks of food. Thighs are naturally triangular in shape. If we all quit making pillows and muffin tops then judges will have to get back to judging whether meat looks like something they really want to eat instead of how symmetrical it is or whether it's perpendicular to the hinge.

DeanC
10-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Those ribs look good, and they obviously tasted better. Congrats to the winners.

Plowboy
10-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I think it was last year i got a comment card from a judge that said my food looks too plastic and too perfect. Then i had a very good Über successful BBQ friend critique my boxes and he said the same thing. The trimming was too perfect too molded .When I started going back to making BBQ that still looked like real food not trimmed to death or precisely trimmed so much that it was all uniform my scores improved. A lot. They became much more consistent. I think there is a lot to be said for letting food just look like food.

I'm not sure I follow you. Please post several pictures of the entries that scored well.

Plowboy
10-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Speak on it homie! I'm tired of the little Star Trek blocks of food. Thighs are naturally triangular in shape. If we all quit making pillows and muffin tops then judges will have to get back to judging whether meat looks like something they really want to eat instead of how symmetrical it is or whether it's perpendicular to the hinge.

Dude, we are BBQr's. We all have muffin tops. Oh wait... what are we talking about again?

DMDon
10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
This box has always done well for us, in appearance. These should have been a little darker.

CritterCook
10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Congrats to the winner, but this, once again, reinforces my opinion of the problems with the KCBS judging.

Balls Casten
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I dont think it shows a problem with judging, he nailed taste and tenderness ... all nines and one eight. I imagin some below him had perfect looking boxes but did not taste as well.

SmokinOkie
10-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Guys they were right next to me at the Royal. The ribs were THAT good. It also was their FIRST time cooking a KCBS contest. The reason that they came to the Royal was they were part of the Drilling and Grilling team that won the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Show contest. I believe them Texas boys know how to cook a spare rib and did a pretty d##m good job of making a box with parsley.

Oh, I was there at the HLSR and heard what they used for a rub, one of the ones used frequently in this forum.

Would be fun to know what they got for their appearance scores and then T/T.

Balls Casten
10-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Either
999 / 999 / 999 / 899 / 898 / 898
Or
999 / 999 / 999 / 899 / 699 / 699

DMDon
10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Either
999 / 999 / 999 / 899 / 898 / 898
Or
999 / 999 / 999 / 899 / 699 / 699

Damn, look at the brain on Doug:boxing:
Let me know when you need those pellets

FretBender
10-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Seems the rift in opinions is directl related to judging rules and standards. Judge appearance on what looks good and make you want to dine on the presented meat. It's different for everybody, so scores will also be across the board depending not on uniformity of judging to a standard, but rather judging to the myriad of personal tastes! Not a perfect method, but none better! Our Pelletheads.com team was lucky to have Bentley as head cook and Larry as the competition guru, and Bentley's ribs were a piece of the overall scores that allowed us to do so well!

WeekendsAreMine
10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Man I wish we could garnish the box in MBN. It looks sharp with some green in it.

donhd04
10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Alright while i do agree the first place ribs do not look that appetizing to me, I do have a question for the competitors. If i were to plate these ribs, based on appearance only and I know i need to show a pic of them cut but I don't have any (but trust me they tasted awsome too) do you think they would have scored well? Now don't hold back, I don't mind criticism just be constructive about it so I can learn from you guys. Im looking to maybe start competeing next spring locally and then moving on to some of the bigger competitions for state and so forth as i get better. But I would like your opinions, good or bad, Im open for your thoughts.

Thanks

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/donhd04/BBQ/IMG_9893.jpg

big brother smoke
10-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Alright while i do agree the first place ribs do not look that appetizing to me, I do have a question for the competitors. If i were to plate these ribs, based on appearance only and I know i need to show a pic of them cut but I don't have any (but trust me they tasted awsome too) do you think they would have scored well? Now don't hold back, I don't mind criticism just be constructive about it so I can learn from you guys. Im looking to maybe start competeing next spring locally and then moving on to some of the bigger competitions for state and so forth as i get better. But I would like your opinions, good or bad, Im open for your thoughts.

Thanks

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/donhd04/BBQ/IMG_9893.jpg

It may behoove you to start your own thread to elicit constructive feedback regarding your ribs.:mod:

donhd04
10-21-2010, 11:52 AM
THANKS ill try that in a little while.