PDA

View Full Version : I have decided to run

ThomEmery
10-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I have decided to run for the KCBS BoD.

We need to focus on a positive future in this time of great expansion in BBQ.
Over the next few weeks I will be adding ideas toward that future on my site.

http://bbqthom.ning.com/video/thom-emery-for-kcbs-bod

Thank You

Dan - 3eyzbbq
10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Indeed! Good smoking luck to you thom :)

thillin
10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Good luck Thom!

nthole
10-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Good luck Tom. I appreciated the time you spent on the phone with me when I was working on a contest project. Says a lot about a person who will take the time out for a phone call from a virtual stranger.

White Dog BBQ
10-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Good luck Tom! We need a voice like yours on the BoD!

Rookie'48
10-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Good luck Thom!

Midnight Smoke
10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Good luck Brother!!!

swamprb
10-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Just one more reason to renew my KCBS membership.

MrSmoker
10-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Congrats Thom, I will have renew also. :clap2:

Rich Parker
10-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Good Luck Thom!

Babyboomerboy
10-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Good luck Tom. I appreciated the time you spent on the phone with me when I was working on a contest project. Says a lot about a person who will take the time out for a phone call from a virtual stranger.

I agree with this post completely. Thom was also the first person I spoke to when our little town decided to start holding KCBS contests. Thanks Tom and good luck.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Best of luck to you .

Chucktown
10-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Got my vote!!:thumb:

bam
10-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Thank You
First best of luck. But why run?

jimbloomfield
10-10-2010, 02:49 PM
As other I am renewing

widespread
10-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Good luck Thom, you have my vote

Lake Dogs
10-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Thank You

Probably 18 months ago I'd posed the question of why become a paid / card
carrying member of KCBS. Lots of discussion, but frankly no real compelling
argument. Until now, to vote FOR Thom.

The_Kapn
10-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Thom,

First off--I gotta question your sanity :-D:-D

But, I know you are on top of the situation and know what you are doing.

Good Luck Bro--ya got my vote.

TIM

bbqbull
10-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I renewed at the Royal, Thom you have my vote!

mmmmeat
10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
after i become a member at the end of the month you'll have my vote

LindaM
10-10-2010, 05:53 PM
You have my vote Tom hope you have a real strong backbone it is ruthless

ThomEmery
10-10-2010, 06:54 PM
First best of luck. But why run?

:) I could ask..... Why do your radio show? :)

It comes down to BBQ is at a wonderful time of opportunity
and we (my family is with me in this) would like to be a part of that.

It would have been easier to not start contests when there were few here.
It would have been easier to not run for the CBBQA BoD when help was needed.
Yes I understand it will have moments when it is less than fun.

Butcher BBQ
10-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Thom you have my support for candidacy:clap2: and my condolences :crazy:. Every one I have cooked with Thom a couple times and got a several chances to sit and talk about BBQ with him. He has some good ideas and ways to help BBQ. I hope everyone takes time to vote this winter and you will consider him for the BOD.

Ford
10-10-2010, 07:41 PM
You have my support and I'll talk with folks here in the Great Lakes area about supporting you and if I get to a few contests in FL before the elections I'll let them know.

I'm not sure if you're doing the right thing with all that's been going on with the BOD and I hope that 5 new members will make a difference. Change is good.

ThomEmery
10-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Ford My hope is doing this in a public way, more new candidates will step forward

RobKC
10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Good luck, Thom!

The Pickled Pig
10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
That's great news Thom! Go get 'em.

Divemaster
10-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Every year I question why I keep sending in my check to KCBS. Now I have a valid reason, you've got my vote!

Scottie
10-11-2010, 08:21 AM
You feeling alright? ;) there isn't enough money for me to do that....

Good luck!!

michiana mark
10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Another vote here! Patience and wisdom!

Bbq Bubba
10-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Every year I question why I keep sending in my check to KCBS. Now I have a valid reason, you've got my vote!

X2! :thumb:

Bigmista
10-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Apparently, Thom has lost his mind but if he wants to be one of the head cat wranglers, I'll support my brother.

Warthog
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Good luck Thom, we are rooting for ya.

crd26a
10-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Thom - Best of luck to you, I hope you can get elected and start to move the board foward.

I do wish we could get 2-3 people concentrated per year running "in tandem" to try and change the board, but due to name recognition, going to be hard.

ThomEmery
10-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Apparently, Thom has lost his mind but if he wants to be one of the head cat wranglers, I'll support my brother.

Those would be feral cats :)
Thank Neil

watg?
10-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Good luck Thom.

Slamdunkpro
10-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Best of luck - if you get elected will Phil change your title to "Herder of Cats"?

ThomEmery
10-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Best of luck - if you get elected will Phil change your title to "Herder of Cats"?

One can only hope for such a honor

JD McGee
10-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Good luck Thom...not only do you have my vote...you have earned it as well! :thumb: Looking forward to hearing your ideas on how to move things forward for KCBS...:cool:

chromesporty
10-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Good Luck, Thom. You have my vote.

Manny69
10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I know I am new on here but I also wish you good luck Thom. I as well wouldn't want the undertaking but as many of the Brethren that say you are the man then you have my support as well.

Plowboy
10-11-2010, 10:06 PM
For whatever it is worth, consider this my public endorsement and support for Thom as KCBS BOD member. He has the necessary passion for BBQ as a craft, a sport, and a lifestyle. Thom is connected with membership both within his own region and nationally. I believe Thom will work to find solutions that work for the greater membership and not a specific faction.

Thom has my vote and I pray that he'll have yours as well.

frognot
10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Best of luck Thom!

Crash
10-12-2010, 02:53 AM
You know you'll have to buy my vote Thom. Just sayin'. :-P

Best of luck dude!

Spydermike72
10-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Thom, congrats and good luck. As everyone else has said, you have been very helpful to me in the past and I will support you in anyway I can.

monty3777
10-12-2010, 04:44 PM
If I were a member of KCBS, you'd have my vote. Maybe I should become a member...

ThomEmery
10-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Maybe :)
My hope being a member would be something all our comp cooks would see as valuable

monty3777
10-13-2010, 10:40 AM
My hope being a member would be something all our comp cooks would see as valuable

FWIW, I was a member and I let my membership slip by accident. What I have found is that I haven't noticed any difference between being a member and not being a member. This may be due to the fact that I only cook in 8-9 comps per year.
Maybe you (Thom) could fill me in on what you see as the benefits of belonging to KCBS?

Divemaster
10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
If I were a member of KCBS, you'd have my vote. Maybe I should become a member...

You can add all those calling them selves CBJ's that have let thier membership expire as well...

Stoke&Smoke
10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
You can add all those calling them selves CBJ's that have let thier membership expire as well...

Didn't I hear that Reps were supposed to be checking judges for thier KCBS ID's to ensure they were current?

You have my vote Thom!

ThomEmery
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
FWIW, I was a member and I let my membership slip by accident. What I have found is that I haven't noticed any difference between being a member and not being a member. This may be due to the fact that I only cook in 8-9 comps per year.
Maybe you (Thom) could fill me in on what you see as the benefits of belonging to KCBS?

Other than a few programs such as the Sams Club
membership discounts there is one primary reason to belong.
It is the right thing to do
if you really believe in our sport and want
it to continue, belonging to the largest national sanctioning body of that
sport seems logical. To ensure the future of BBQ.

Nate when someone says to you " Hey I believe.... I do not need church
I can just do my own thing and be fine"
I would think as a Pastor you may not agree with him.
You probably would share the benefits of healthy church life :) with him.

Now I am NOT equating KCBS membership with Church membership
:) the KCBS cook is probably more dedicated :) to the cause
That is a joke sorry if it offended anyone

BBQ is growing and sanctioning bodies are important to that healthy growth
I have heard stories of the old days of "Bubba Ques"
where Bubba goin ta win cause he my Bro In Law
We need a healthy KCBS for the future of the sport

Just need to work on that healthy part some right now.

monty3777
10-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I hear what you are saying, Thom. And I also want to stress that my response is not about you, but rather about how I see KCBS right now.

You mention those who feel that they can live without church in their lives. My thinking is that unless a church is fulfilling its mission to reach out to the world then maybe it's not such a bad thing that people don't come. Just because it's a church doesn't make it holy - and I suspect we agree on that point. :thumb:

In the same respect, unless I can see something about KCBS that makes me believe I am part of an institution that is actually making a positive impact then maybe it's not such a bad thing to stay on the margins.

From my perspective the only thing that KCBS does for me is provide a sanctioning body for comps. For my part, I pay to attend those comps so I see that as my contribution to the cause. Can you educate me about the other things KCBS does that make an impact on the world of BBQ? If not, what will you do to move KCBS in the right direction so that it actually is a benefit to me and others to pay above and beyond what we already pay at comps?

Thanks for your time, Thom. I am really not trying to put YOU on the defensive. I suspect that you will be part of the solution - if there is one.

There is always a chance that, like many folks who attend church, I am just impossible to please!! :becky::thumb::heh:

Divemaster
10-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Didn't I hear that Reps were supposed to be checking judges for thier KCBS ID's to ensure they were current?

You have my vote Thom!
Based on what I heard during the last BoD meeting, the Reps were being questioned as to why the CBJ's had to have a current membership. It is to the point that they are talking about dropping the question of membership verification completly (see my post.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1429306&postcount=16)

If you would like I think I can find the point where Ed is discussing this point in the audio.

Yazoo's
10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Thom,

We will lead the huge and influential Nesbit, MS voting block to your side:)

Good Luck!
Pete

ThomEmery
10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
LOL Brother Nesbit MS is the key to the election :)

ThomEmery
10-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I hear what you are saying, Thom. And I also want to stress that my response is not about you, but rather about how I see KCBS right now.

You mention those who feel that they can live without church in their lives. My thinking is that unless a church is fulfilling its mission to reach out to the world then maybe it's not such a bad thing that people don't come. Just because it's a church doesn't make it holy - and I suspect we agree on that point. :thumb:

In the same respect, unless I can see something about KCBS that makes me believe I am part of an institution that is actually making a positive impact then maybe it's not such a bad thing to stay on the margins.

From my perspective the only thing that KCBS does for me is provide a sanctioning body for comps. For my part, I pay to attend those comps so I see that as my contribution to the cause. Can you educate me about the other things KCBS does that make an impact on the world of BBQ? If not, what will you do to move KCBS in the right direction so that it actually is a benefit to me and others to pay above and beyond what we already pay at comps?

Thanks for your time, Thom. I am really not trying to put YOU on the defensive. I suspect that you will be part of the solution - if there is one.

There is always a chance that, like many folks who attend church, I am just impossible to please!! :becky::thumb::heh:

Nate Yes I will build upon the answer this weekend
And yes we do agree if the place aint healthy,
why would I want to be a part of it?

PCDoctor_1979
10-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Best of luck to you, brother. From what I read, I think you have what it takes to lead the charge for change in the KCBS BOD. It's time for the KCBS to evolve into a functional, professional trade association serving to the benefit of all of its constituents - cooks, judges, contest organizers, backyard enthusiasts and the BBQ eatin' public.

ThomEmery
12-16-2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-contests/2677-kcbs-board-election-thread.html#post15140

The campaign is starting

lunchlady
12-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I am so happy to hear this!
Best of Luck Thom... you've got my vote fer sure!

White Dog BBQ
12-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Thom -- why weren't you featured in this month's Bullsheet? I don't think I saw your bio or questionnaire in there.

wayne76
12-16-2010, 08:22 PM
"Didn't I hear that Reps were supposed to be checking judges for thier KCBS ID's to ensure they were current"

Some locations do but most don't. I wish that they all did. KCBS will state on the events section that a contest was ___% certified judges. Well, are they KCBS certified, FBA, PNW, NCBBQA or does it matter. Cooks supossedly want certified judges so judges need to show what organization they are certified with, and be current.

ThomEmery
12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Thom -- why weren't you featured in this month's Bullsheet? I don't think I saw your bio or questionnaire in there.

It will be in next months.
Here you go.
1. I believe that the strongest skills I possess are team building and problem solving. As CBBQA past president and board member, I helped change the organization of the association from one that was lead by one person to one that was a collaborative group effort. In addition, I have a very active leadership role in my church and have served as a founding member and past president of a local service club. In each of these ventures I have worked with volunteers, paid staff and outside vendors in setting and reaching goals. As a KCBS board member, it is my hope that I would be able to use these skills to promote more collaboration among the KCBS board members toward reaching long-term comprehensive goals.
2. As a cook, judge and contest organizer, I have found that one of the major issues facing the KCBS is the civility or lack thereof of the board members. This issue affects all levels of the sport because the KCBS board is setting the direction in which we are moving. Currently the board seems content to remain divided and fight every issue, no matter how small or trivial. We are facing a transition as our sport continues to grow, and though it is true that we will face growing pains, surely we can do better than acting divisively. I believe we will be able to move past this era of dissention by showing each other the respect we deserve and listening to each other. It will be hard to change the past ways of the board as old habits die hard, but I believe that my involvement will be beneficial.
3. I see the continued expansion of events and the further improvement of the KCBS website should be among the major goals of the KCBS board. The improvement of the KCBS website is something that can be accomplished in the immediate time frame by adding a Members Only area with an event-centered informational forum in which members will be able to talk directly with event organizers and find out contest specifics (this will not be a forum for chitchat). The continued expansion of KCBS events can be accomplished in the long run through the nurturing of new organizers with events such as the organizers round table like the one that I conducted in Mesquite, NV.
4. If elected to the board I would be very committed in both time and energy to the projects of the board as well as relations with the public and members. As a member of the CBBQA as board member and past president, I did not miss any board meetings. Also at one point I was a moderator for six different barbeque forums. I really enjoy being active in the BBQ community and will maintain this level of activity as a board member.
5. I have been involved in the KCBS as a cook, contest organizer and judge (CBJ# 7988 ) for the last six years.
6. Competition barbeque is in a wonderful time of expansion and I would love to give back to barbeque by serving the membership in this season with honest, team-oriented and unselfish devotion to the greater good of the sport.

carlyle
12-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Thom, we need your voice and representation on the BOD.

As to checking for current membership of CBJ's, for our KCBS contest we check cards
at judge checkin. All correspondence starting from judging application states to have your card because we will check. I think this is good policy. We need judges who are certified and support KCBS with their ongoing membership.

ThomEmery
01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
http://www.bbqyearbook.com/5/post/2011/01/bbq-yearbook-endorses-kcbs-bod-candidates.html?

Thank You for the endorsement

CivilWarBBQ
01-13-2011, 12:59 AM
I always wait till the end of the polling period before I cast my vote since the candidates often reveal themselves in the eleventh hour.

You earned a vote from me Thom. I think you would be good representative for the Western regioin and a rational voice for organizers everywhere. Good luck!

monty3777
01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Thom, I wish you were running the show. I really mean that. I have watched the way you handle yourself on these forums for the past several years and you are certainly one of the people who help folks stay focused on what's important. I know the strength of your personality and convictions would make a difference on a divided board. Good luck, brother!

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Thom-

You have at least one vote in. Was the best I could do :thumb:

Divemaster
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Thom-

You have at least one vote in. Was the best I could do :thumb:
Make that two.:becky:

leanza
01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Best of luck Thom. I believe you deserve a place there on the BOD.

ThomEmery
01-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Saturday Night we will find out
A friend said "It is Win/Win
Elected you win
Not elected you don't have to do it "

getyourrubonbbq
01-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Good luck Thom.

ThomEmery
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Thank You to those who voted
It was a interesting experience :)

watg?
01-17-2011, 02:29 PM
It takes a lot of effort and commitment just to file and run. Thanks for taking the interest and thanks for running Thom. Thanks to all the other candidates as well, thanks for your time and for giving everyone a choice.

carlyle
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I was happy you ran, disappointed with the low percentage of members who voted, and say that you were not elected.

Thank you for having the courage to run.

In my book, no matter how the election turned out, you remain a voice of reason and civility within KCBS and the Brethren.

Thank you.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Thom,

Glad you ran, you had my vote...sorry that you didn't get elected as i felt you were a good candidate. We've never met but i have read countless threads with your replies and feel as though KCBS is in need of a person like you.

Clint

Divemaster
01-18-2011, 10:10 AM
I too am sorry you didn't get the votes you should have. You're still tops in my book!

Glad we got to spend some time together brother.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
You gonna run again next time?

Warthog
01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I voted for you. It just seems pretty sad that only 18% of the membership voted. I'm sure the 82% will still complain although they did nothing to try and help change things.

ThomEmery
01-18-2011, 07:33 PM
You gonna run again next time?

Give me sometime
Cooking and running just a couple of contests sounds like fun

Big Poppa
01-18-2011, 08:22 PM
You gonna cook this year?

ThomEmery
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
After Stagecoach yes
Got to after paying for the class :)