PDA

View Full Version : Utility Trailer for Comps

watertowerbbq
10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
My refurbished Backwoods Competitor will be ready soon and I've been thinking about how to move it around to comps, etc. Right now, a 4'x8' or 5'x8' utility trailer seems reasonable and the price fits my budget, not to mention I can use it for around the house yard projects. A co-worker knows a couple getting ready for a divorce and I may be able to pick up a fold up utiity trailer. I'm not sure that is exactly what I want, but the space it takes up is making me think about it a little more.

My question would be, for those who have used utility trailers to get your stuff to comps, what things should I be looking for in a utility trailer or maybe more important, what should I avoid. Maybe the better question would be, any suggestions before pulling the trigger on a utility trailer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

dreed
10-06-2010, 07:39 PM
We use 5 x 8, it fits all our equipment. including the med spicewine. It certainly isn't flashy but it works. We place it on site and keep the smoker on it so we don't have to roll it on and off.
The only thing I wish it had were tie downs or taller sides, and some sort of electric braking.

monty3777
10-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Ask yourself how much money you intend to invest in making it a comp ready trailer. If you are going to be investing in sinks, AC, water tanks, electricity, lights etc you may be better off going with a BBQ trailer like the kind Getyourrubon sells. You may be suprised how much it costs to deck out a utility trailer. A basic BBQ rig costs around $8000 without the sinks or water. Sometimes you can find used ones cheap, especially on the Backwoods forum.

TN_BBQ
10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Get the trailer and give it a try.

Odds are pretty good that if you don't like it, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

E Mellow
10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
If you intend to compete in areas far from your home I would steer clear of the folding trailer. Those things are made for the once a year type of trailer guy. Get as big as you can afford, you will be happy later that you did.

watertowerbbq
10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Ask yourself how much money you intend to invest in making it a comp ready trailer. If you are going to be investing in sinks, AC, water tanks, electricity, lights etc you may be better off going with a BBQ trailer like the kind Getyourrubon sells. You may be suprised how much it costs to deck out a utility trailer. A basic BBQ rig costs around $8000 without the sinks or water. Sometimes you can find used ones cheap, especially on the Backwoods forum.

Monty,
I'm not in a position to spend that kind of $$$ at this time. I'm just looking for something to get me to the comp with my gear, especially with the heavy smoker. Nothing fancy, just basic. I'm ok with basically still working out of my truck for now.

thillin
10-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd save your money and get an enclosed trailer if possible. If not, a good heavy duty trailer with some good sides. I went with a 6x10 enclosed trailer with ramp and store all my comp stuff in it and it carries my lg BGE and Med Spicewine with no problem.

bigdogphin
10-06-2010, 10:30 PM
This year we got a 6 x 12 dual axle enclosed trailer. Hauls my two FECs and all my comp stuff. Plus its big enough for me to stand up in and I also use it to sleep in. Like it was said before get the biggest you can afford. You can add stuff to it later when you find out what you need. I love the dual axle on the road it cruises like a dream. However, it can be a bear to move around when unhooked. Best of luck.

dreed
10-06-2010, 10:34 PM
If you intend to compete in areas far from your home I would steer clear of the folding trailer. Those things are made for the once a year type of trailer guy. Get as big as you can afford, you will be happy later that you did.

I agree, not a very durable trailer, I think they are held together with bolts, not very much welding on those.

and I should have mentioned we have since dropped 6K on a 20ft trailer w/ a fully equipped kitchen. but we will still use the utility trailer for smaller hit and run comps.

thillin
10-06-2010, 11:08 PM
This year we got a 6 x 12 dual axle enclosed trailer. Hauls my two FECs and all my comp stuff. Plus its big enough for me to stand up in and I also use it to sleep in. Like it was said before get the biggest you can afford. You can add stuff to it later when you find out what you need. I love the dual axle on the road it cruises like a dream. However, it can be a bear to move around when unhooked. Best of luck.

Yep, I wish i held out for a dual axle. But I put a rooftop a/c on it and it's great to prep and sleep in the a/c and out of the elements.

bmanMA
10-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I run a Big Tex (19SV) and it works well. Has some sides to it and is welded not bolted. I checked out the folding trailers, and wasn't impressed with the build quality. I am stressed enough when towing, but having a good trailer helps. Plus the high sides allow you to really pack stuff in there.

monty3777
10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Monty,
I'm not in a position to spend that kind of $$$ at this time. I'm just looking for something to get me to the comp with my gear, especially with the heavy smoker. Nothing fancy, just basic. I'm ok with basically still working out of my truck for now.

I hear you, Matt. Most everyone I know who has a big trailer is looking to downsize so if you can get away with small that makes all the sense in the world! I was relating our own experience with Mark's trailer. He is a farmer so he will need to use it for other things than just BBQ, but for someone like me who will compete with my family eventually (along with Holy and Oly's) and use the trailer for the feeding program our church has it makes better sense to get a trailer equipped rather than try and piece a trailer together. It is surprising how much it costs to do that!

JD McGee
10-07-2010, 09:15 AM
6x10 enclosed with ramp and side door here...Interstate...$3000.00 new out the door. :thumb: Makes a great motel room too! :cool:

Fyrman_Mike
10-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Headed for our first comp, but I am using a 5 x 8 dump trailer. (Very Basic) I can fit everything on it with lots of extra room. If going with a standard utility trailer I would look for a drop gate (My preferance) and make sure that it has sockets to drop in 2 x 4 side posts in. That way if you want to extend the sides higher all you have to do is drop in taller 2x's and slat boards. A co-worker has one and he has premade sides that he just slides in and out as needed. He also can take the side completely off and load from the side since there is no rail. Hope this helps.

thillin
10-07-2010, 10:04 AM
6x10 enclosed with ramp and side door here...Interstate...$3000.00 new out the door. :thumb: Makes a great motel room too! :cool:

Yep, $1500-2000 used here in North Texas.

Don't get white. They black streaks are a pain in the :moon:

Divemaster
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Our current trailer is a 6x10 enclosed we bought used for $1700. While it holds all of the equipment including the Lang and everything else, we are actually looking to move up to a toy hauler next year.

I wanted us to start out small and move up in case decided not to compete as much.

Maddog's
10-07-2010, 11:07 AM
My friends (above) bigdogphin and jd mcgee and I all haul enclosed comp trailers up here in the pacific northwest. you know, where they invented rain?! so, open or closed, you make that call based on your experience but CAPACITY is the thing. I am in a 5x8 and i cook on three WSMs. I am right now in the market for a 6x12 duelly. The low head room in the 5x8 breaks my freakin back and since I am not usually hauling with a truck or suv but rather a 30ft class A motorhome, I want EVERYTHING in that trailer. the 5x8 is just too small. And PLEASE note that the more full you pack it, the harder it is to pack!!! Thats a huge consideration. At the end of a comp, i'm bushed. packing that thing with me having it so bloody full AND not being able to stand up in it...that kicks my asteric! Hence, I'm moving to a 6x12 and while i will buy a single axle if the price is right, i would prefer a duelly. I LOVE being able to walk into Jessie's (bigdophin) trailer and you've got plenty of headroom. Damn, that makes a difference! JD makes a great point, too about the "motel room" concept. (The cleaner you keep your pits, the better it smells in there. No right guard will NOT work. Those are NOT the pits I'm talking about. ) My next purchase will be a sign to hang on the door which says, "If the trailer is a'rockin' don't come a knockin'!"

BBQ_Mayor
10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Matt, I'd be a little leary putting a Backwoods Competitor on a small utility trailer. Especially a 4x8. With the hight of the Competitior, if you stand it straight up the trailer is going to be tippy. You'll need to lay it down and that won't be easy to pick up when you get to a comp or get back home.

Just something to keep in mind when looking at trailers. You'll what something you won't need to worry.

monty3777
10-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I think Boondoggle has a trailer for sale. Check with them!

JiveTurkey
10-07-2010, 01:02 PM
No way I'm putting a $2000 cooker on a $500 trailer.

markpmc
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I run w/ a 5x8 open utility trailer. I use one scissor jack at the back of the trailer and 2 more to support the corners of the ramp. So my 5x8 becomes a 5x11.5 w/ a few jacks.

It's not impressive at all, but we also like playing the underdog at comps. I'd love to upgrade to a 6x12 tandem.

Mark

Bones
10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
My refurbished Backwoods Competitor will be ready soon and I've been thinking about how to move it around to comps, etc. Right now, a 4'x8' or 5'x8' utility trailer seems reasonable and the price fits my budget, not to mention I can use it for around the house yard projects. A co-worker knows a couple getting ready for a divorce and I may be able to pick up a fold up utiity trailer. I'm not sure that is exactly what I want, but the space it takes up is making me think about it a little more.

My question would be, for those who have used utility trailers to get your stuff to comps, what things should I be looking for in a utility trailer or maybe more important, what should I avoid. Maybe the better question would be, any suggestions before pulling the trigger on a utility trailer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure that it will handle the weight that you will be loading. Ice chest get pretty heavy when fully loaded. Water, coal, drinks, not sure what all you will be loading on the trailer other than the smoker. The small trailers usually have small tires. I would try and stay away from the 8" wheels if at all posible.

Brew-B-Q
10-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I had a fold up trailer like you mention and it was okay for my WSMs. When I got my Superior I upgraded to a 7x14 dual axle with extra height. It makes prepping, cooking, and sleeping so much easier. Worth the money and resale is pretty good if you decide to get out of comp cooking down the road, or if you upgrade.

getyourrubonbbq
10-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I've been checking on the thread through out the day and see that most folks have the same reponse. I need enough room to manage my supplies, cookers, a place to prep and a place to sleep would be nice. How about this for an economy Comp trailer? I did not include flooring, but I can if anyone is interested and you can upgrade to a ramp door for $238.

Trailer Type: 2011 Extreme BBQ-Econo-Comp
Color:
Cabinet Color:
Axles: (2) 3500# Torsion Axles

Width: 7 ft
Length: 14 ft
Height: 7 ft
Model #: MOTMSX714TA2

Standard Features:

FRAME

FULLY UNDERCOATED STEEL FRAME

Z POST WALL SUPPORTS

TUBE ROOF CROSSMEMBERS

LEAF SPRING AXLES

EZ LUBE HUBS

ELECTRIC BRAKES

GEL CELL BATTERY BREAKAWAY KIT

2-5/16" COUPLER

SAFETY CHAINS & HOOKS

2000# BLACK PAINTED MANUAL JACK

16" O/C ROOF CROSSMEMBERS

16" O/C WALL SUPPORTS

24" O/C FLOOR CROSSMEMBERS

NO INTERIOR WHEELBOXES

FLAT FLOOR DESIGN

FLAT FRONT DESIGN

INTERIOR

3/4" ADVANTECH SUB FLOOR

FLOOR COVER IS OPTIONAL

DOUBLE REAR CARGO DOORS

3/8" PLYWOOD WALLS

OPEN STUD CEILING

TIE DOWNS ARE OPTIONAL

(1) ROOF VENT

(1) DOME LIGHT WITH SWITCH ON LIGHT

WIRE GROMMETS

EXTERIOR

1.5" UPPER RUB RAIL TRIM

1.5" LOWER RUB RAIL TRIM

.030 ALUMINUM

COLOR MATCHED FRONT VERTICALS

SCREWS ON SEAMS

ONE-PIECE ALUMINUM ROOF

GRAY MOD WHEELS

ST205/75D15/LRC BIAS PLY TIRES

ALUMINUM FENDERS

32" SIDE DOOR - 405 SERIES

STANDARD FLUSH LOCK ON SIDE DOOR

CARGO DOOR HOLDBACKS

DOUBLE REAR CARGO DOORS

ZINC PLATED HINGES

CAM BAR LOCK

ZINC PLATED DOOR HARDWARE

24" HIGH ATP STONEGUARD

7-WAY PLUG

INCANDESCENT CLEARANCE LIGHTS

(1) SET OF INCANDESCENT BRAKE LIGHTS

Selected Options:
14 ft UPGRADE TO 16" O/C FLOOR CROSSMEMBERS FROM 24" O/C / FT

14 ft 12" ADDITIONAL HEIGHT / FT

*** REAR DOOR OPENING DOES NOT EXCEED 7' HEIGHT UNLESS OPTIONED SEPARATELY ***

*** ENTRANCE DOOR WILL NOT EXCEED 78" ***

1 UPGRADE FROM 3500# SPRING AXLES TO 3500# TORSION AXLES - TANDEM (SS & MSX)

1 UPGRADE TO 32" 455 SERIES DOOR W/ SCREEN DOOR

SCREEN DOOR INCLUDED

TINTED WINDOW INCLUDED

FMVSS LOCK INCLUDED

1 120V PACKAGE #1

30 AMP BREAKER BOX

EXTERIOR POWER INLET (MOTORBASE) WITH 25' SHORE CORD

(2) INTERIOR RECEPTS

(2) 48" FLUORESCENT LIGHTS WITH WALL SWITCH - RECESSED IF POSSIBLE

14 ft UPGRADE WALLS & CEILINGS FROM WHITE VINYL TO SCREWLESS ALUMINUM / FT

14 ft INSULATED WALLS / FT (STD HEIGHT THRU 18" EXTRA HEIGHT)

*** 1" E.P.S. (STYROFOAM) ***

14 ft INSULATED CEILING / FT

*** 1" E.P.S. (STYROFOAM) ***

1 13,500 BTU LOW PROFILE A/C (9.5" OVERALL HEIGHT) - DOMETIC

THERMOSTAT IS OPTIONAL (THERMOSTAT IS REQUIRED ON DUCTED UNITS)

DUCTING IS OPTIONAL

HEAT STRIP IS OPTIONAL

4 RECESSED FLOOR D-RING (5000# CAPACITY)

1 HEAT STRIP FOR ROOF TOP AC

2 PAIR FLIP DOWN STABILIZER JACKS 2000# RATING

Pending manufacturer approval

Regular Price:

$8,385.00

DEALER DISCOUNT (-5%):

$-419.25

Final Price:

$7,966.00

JiveTurkey
10-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Now we're talkin!

watertowerbbq
10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Matt, I'd be a little leary putting a Backwoods Competitor on a small utility trailer. Especially a 4x8. With the hight of the Competitior, if you stand it straight up the trailer is going to be tippy. You'll need to lay it down and that won't be easy to pick up when you get to a comp or get back home.

Just something to keep in mind when looking at trailers. You'll what something you won't need to worry.

I hadn't really considered that Ray. The more I'm reading the more I'm thinking of holding out until I can get a larger enclosed trailer.

ZILLA
10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
A larger trailer is great but you should go for the open trailer for now and see how you like it and think a while on what you really want.

Smoke'n Ice
10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I have built out an 6X12 single axle trailer for comp. It includes frp walls & ceilings, air conditioning, heat, lights, counter, pressure water system with holding tank, inverter, marine deep cycle batteries, etc. I'm now looking for a 16-18 foot toy hauler because of the weight and need an inside potty. Getting too old to use the bush or the porta pottys at comps. Don't need any of the new designer ailments out there.

Start with with what you can afford that will be safe and then dream for the better thing.

Muzzlebrake
10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm a bit claustrophobic so I like the having a trailer I can see out of in all directions. I'm hoping to have a custom unit built, but until then, I use a 16' 5 ton equipment trailer that I had. I built wooden side rails for it and have everything mounted on it so I can throw and EZ up over it and start cooking. I have enough room and it set up so 2-3 of us can be up on the trailer working at once without getting in each others way too much. The really nice thing is I come home and back it up under a 10x20 carport and it stays set up ready to roll for the next time.

You could probably do the same with a 12-14 foot landscaping trailer that they sell everywhere for less than the price of your cooker.

Check out this rig that Kapn built (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34015&highlight=chekeeta)

ique
10-07-2010, 09:20 PM
A BWS Competitor is too big to move around on a regular basis imo. I used to have one that I mounted permanently on fairly heavy duty 5x8 open trailer. Enough room for a couple coolers, tables and ezup. Cooked right on the open trailer, worked pretty well and didnt throw my back out moving a 400lb cooker.

crd26a
10-07-2010, 10:29 PM
No matter what you get, make sure you get the spare tire. We blew out each of the wheels on the utility trailer we used last year on seperate weeks. Got lucky that both only threw tread and we were able to get the tires replaced fairly quickly, but never know what things will happen.

Gerrit_Boys
10-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Really look at the quality of trailers. My boss paid 3900 for a 6x12 wells cargo enclosed trailer that is junk. We paid 5400 for a 7x16 H&H (no longer in business) that is leagues ahead of his. Ceiling height is huge unless you wear a hardhat. That said, you can pour alot of money into an enclosed trailer getting it to where Getyourrubon's trailer is. Wished I would have went that route. The nice thing about a cargo style trailer is you can use it for lots of other things. I've moved my folks, trips to the lumberyard, you name it. Bad thing is people want to borrow it. Learn to say NO

ique
10-08-2010, 10:38 AM
A BWS Competitor is too big to move around on a regular basis imo. I used to have one that I mounted permanently on fairly heavy duty 5x8 open trailer. Enough room for a couple coolers, tables and ezup. Cooked right on the open trailer, worked pretty well and didnt throw my back out moving a 400lb cooker.

Couple of pics, not great quality but you get the idea. I bolted the BWS to the deck and then used ratchet strap to provide more stability when traveling.

http://home.comcast.net/~cjejhart/t4.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~cjejhart/t6.gif

KC_Bobby
10-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Where you taking the trailer? If you are going further than Nevada you'll want a decent size wheel. 8" wheels will be spinning well over twice as fast as your truck wheels (you're the engineer - would an 8" wheel spin 3.14 times around compared to a 16" wheel?). Friction and speed could lead to a horrible start to a competition when the barring seize up and the BWS ends up in the ditch.

The competitor is definitely a two person task to roll around on non-paved surfaces and loading into many trailers. I could get it into the Qchen myself because it sat low to the ground, but I can not load it myself onto Don's utility trailer or our toy hauler due to the angle of incline.

Matt, keep checking craigslist this winter. I bet you can find a 5x10 enclosed for around $1200. That won't be tall enough to work out of (may not be tall enough for the Competitor either), but it will pull nice behind your truck and you could sleep in it most months of the year - just make sure to open the rear when the sun goes down to let the heat out and take a fan.

If you get a 6x12, it would probably be tall enough to work out of, but unless you put on AC, you won't want that in the summer. My Dakota (4.7L) pulled our 6x12 with the Competitor, but I think it was near it's max. A WDH would have helped level the load. I forgot if you have a Tundra or a Tacoma.

Don has a 5x10 utility trailer. You might check it out to give you ideas.

Muzzlebrake
10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Kevin (smokinit) used to have a trailer with a Competitor and 2 Fatboys mounted on it. I used it once or twice it was a nice setup. I forget how big it was, shoot him a PM he may have pics

bigracksbbq
10-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I am in the market for a used cargo style trailer in DFW area. Worn out dragging our huge smoker to every comp on the weekends.

2Fat
10-08-2010, 04:41 PM

rolled a BWS Comp in and out of a trailer for a couple years---hard work--especially when
the ramp is slippery!! now it(and a BWS Pro jr) are mounted on the back of trailer under shelter--works great!

One Arm Bandit
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I use a Haulmart 6X12 tandem axle. Bought it used for $2800. Added 12 florescent RV lights and cabinets from a big box home store. Electric brakes are a must. Had to do a rather fast stop once on the freeway. Brakes probably paid for the whole thing easy.

billm
10-08-2010, 10:52 PM
good set of ramps and put some tie downs inside it if it doesnt have it already and a spare..thats about it if all you are using it for is hauling...i ended up picking up a new 5x8 haulmark this year..the used ones were going for almost the same price and didnt last long on craigslist..
Im real happy with it for hauling all my stuff to comps and not having to deal with u-haul

Boshizzle
10-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Give dual axles a lot of consideration. I know some folks who lost every piece of equipment they had when a tire blew out on their single axle trailer on the highway. Fortunately, no one was hurt but everything in the trailer and the trailer was damaged beyond repair. That was a dangerous situation for everyone on the road around the trailer rolling at highway speeds when it flipped.

I know another fellow who has a dual axle trailer. The lug bolts sheered off of one of his tires on the highway but he was able to pull off the road and repair the wheel and get back on the road. If he had a single axle trailer, things would have been different. He was hauling four smokers and one of them weighs 600 pounds.

Sawdustguy
10-09-2010, 04:10 PM

We humped a 850 lb large spicewine for a couple of years before selling it to Skip and Julie. Here is a pic of the spicebeast and the trailer we hauled it around with. We have downsized and Brendan now owns our trailer. We drag a Lang 84 now.

http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/gallery/cache/Rock%20n%20Ribfest%206-2007/700_P1010010.JPG

Ranbo
10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I would definatley go with the open trailer for now but make sure you have a spare. I learned the hard way going to the deer lease with the atv and no spare.

I'm actually planning what I want in comp trailer. The open trailer may not be super cool looking but I can have most of my comp stuff stored on the trailer in my garage.

CBQ
10-09-2010, 09:52 PM
We humped a 850 lb large spicewine for a couple of years before selling it to Skip and Julie.

I don't see them moving that monster around at comps either. :crazy: I think if you want to move a Spicewine around, get a toy hauler or a porch trailer rather than anything with a ramp.

My teammates are currently doing the "try to lay down the Fatboy" thing on a small utility trailer, and it's not pretty. (Anyone see us drop it at Peter's Pond?)

Wait and get a bigger trailer if you can.

JD McGee
10-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Here's my rig ready to roll out to the Jack...:becky: Hope it gives you a few ideas...:cool:

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/SouthPawBBQ/Comp%20Trailer/SouthPawBBQ016.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/SouthPawBBQ/Comp%20Trailer/SouthPawBBQ009.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/SouthPawBBQ/Comp%20Trailer/SouthPawBBQ010.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/SouthPawBBQ/Comp%20Trailer/SouthPawBBQ011.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/SouthPawBBQ/Comp%20Trailer/SouthPawBBQ012.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/SouthPawBBQ/Comp%20Trailer/SouthPawBBQ013.jpg