PDA

View Full Version : Poor Pork Presentation

Chipper
10-04-2010, 07:55 AM
We feel we are starting to get the other three meats but the pork is just killing us.
I'm thinking of doing the money muscle, some big hunks with bark, and maybe some pulled.
The question is_
Is it legal to have six "mounds" of pulled pork, or would that be considered "sculpting"?

roksmith
10-04-2010, 08:12 AM
mounds are fine

Goddahavit
10-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Man im with you, pork is killing us as well. nice job this weekend by the way.

Looking back at the brethren thread from a few weeks ago I remember seeing a box with 6 mounds...
here it is....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1379945&postcount=10

Ford
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
If you use a mold to put in the pork it may be considered illegal especially if it has a design. One large pile is more normal if doing all 3 types of meat. Just not enough room for everything unless the pork scoops are very small.

daedalus
10-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Six mounds is legal, but there are a couple of things you might want to consider. Mounds have less thermal mass, therefore they cool down more quickly. That, combined with the new rule that says you cannot put pulled pork pack into the smoker to keep it up to temp means that it might be difficult to keep those mounds warm until they make it to the table. Also, I have heard from teams that mounds don't score well. I don't know why, and as a judge I don't have a problem with them, but apparently some do.

Sledneck
10-04-2010, 09:01 AM
molds dont look appetizing to me. i have done better with just large chunks

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I dont use the "mold" type display, but at the judging class i took the instructor mentioned an ice cream scoop.

Bunny
10-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Ice cream scoops, molds or individual piles (may it be either one large, 3 scoops or 6) is not illegal. But IMHO sliced along with chunks score very well. And sometimes chunks alone do well. Just make sure you add some bark to it.

davidh9946
10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
You are ok with the individual scoops (6) but I prefer a larger signal stack of pulled meat. I do a fair amount of judging and it is funny why gets the discussion going after the scores are submitted. I can safely say that an entry that has some pulled, some sliced, and some chunks with good bark is what most judges like to see. I saw 3 of the 6 entries I was judging at the Am. Royal Invitational follow that format and they not only tasted great but looked fantastic. Sorry about drifting off subject but you are good to go with the scoops.

Chipper
10-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the help. It looks like my question about scoops being OK, but whether it's the best for presentation is another story.

pigmaker23
10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
The KEY thing to remember is to put in the box what is cooked the best and tastes the best, period. if the sliced is not cooked right or the pulled isnt tasting right, dont put it in, the judges will taste everything you put in the box, if its all not first rate, your score will suffer. :-P its about the taste and texture, first. not how much and how many different ways it looks in the box.