PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results 2010 American Royal Open

Sledneck
10-04-2010, 07:29 AM
COngrats to all the brethren that competed. Did Lotta Bull stick around for the awards?:wink: Just curious as to why they only have 76% CBJ? Lots of guest judges and media? Not enough CBJ in the area? I thought i had heard that their was a waiting list to get in to judging?

Full results here: http://kcbs.us/events.php?id=2142

31st Annual American Royal Barbecue

STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

Kansas City, MO
Starts: 10/02/2010
Ends: 10/03/2010

Prize Money: $51975.00
CBJ Percentage: 76%

Contest Results: [View Printable]

Grand Champion: Lotta Bull BBQ
Reserve Champion: Swine Assassins

Overall:
1 Lotta Bull BBQ
2 Swine Assassins
3 Pelletheads.com
4 Hog Tide Bar-B-Que
5 Pork Pullin Plowboys
6 Butcher BBQ
7 Pig Newton
8 Masterque BBQ
9 J&J Redneck
10 Diva Q
11 JP Custom Smoke
12 Pork Me Purple
13 Slaughterhouse Five
14 Big Creek BBQ
15 Four Men And A Pig

Chicken:
1 Caveman Cuisine
2 Pork Pullin Plowboys
3 JOE BBQ
4 J&J's Southern Smokers
5 Slaughterhouse Five
6 Boo Booz BBQ
7 Cool Smoke
8 Smitty's Smoke Patrol
9 Fast Eddy's BBQ
10 Moolicious Intentions
11 Fowl Play / Dead Poultry
12 Americo
13 Masterque BBQ
14 In Hog Heaven Bar B Que
15 S&S BBQ

Ribs:
1 WHAT-EVER
2 Southern Exposure
3 Pellet Envy
4 TheSlabs.com
5 Lotta Bull BBQ
6 Smokin' Guns BBQ
7 Kosmo's Q
8 Park Avenue Pork
9 Phat Jacks BBQ
10 JP Custom Smoke
11 MooCow
12 Diva Q
13 EXTREME ROASTERS
14 Hog Tide Bar-B-Que
15 She Thinks My Slabs R Se

Pork:
1 Next Year's Winner
2 Baby Back BBQ
3 Toad Hollar BBQ
4 Boys' Night Out
5 Ribs 4 U
6 M-I-Z B-B-Q
7 4 Mile Smokin' Crew
8 Snail Slow Smokin'
9 All Sizes BBQ
10 Four Men And A Pig
11 Crimson and Blue
12 Those Guy's BBQ
13 Belly Brothers BBQ Team
14 Unknown BBQ
15 Phat Jacks BBQ

Brisket:
1 Pig Newton
2 Lotta Bull BBQ
3 Butcher BBQ
4 Iowa Outlaws BBQ
5 Smokin Suzy
6 Smokin Returns
7 Brotherhood BBQ
8 JP Custom Smoke
9 Ghost River Smoke-A-Holi
10 Four Men And A Pig
11 Pelletheads.com
12 If You've Got Em Smoke E
13 Hambones by the Fire
14 Pork Me Purple
15 Freeman Brothers BBQ

daedalus
10-04-2010, 08:19 AM
COngrats to all the brethren that competed. Did Lotta Bull stick around for the awareds?:wink: Just curious as to why they only have 76% CBJ? Lots of guest judges and media? Not enough CBJ in the area? I thought i had heard that their was a waiting list to get in to judging?
Congrats to everyone...strong showing by the brethren.:thumb:

Sled,
Keep in mind that they need over 500 people to handle the judging. That is an awful lot of CBJ's, even in this area. I am not aware of any waiting list, in fact, I called the judge coordinator 2 days before the event to ask if I could get a friend in and she said there was plenty of room. Everyone who was there to judge got in, whether their names were on the list or not, and all of the table captains still had to pull double duty.

KC_Bobby
10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
And figure some of the usual judges around KC were cooking that day too.

Yes, Lotta Bull was there for the awards.

ZILLA
10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Congrats to all the Brethren that walked!

Shout out to Dusty, Billy, and The Penelope Flash ! Way represent fellas!

big brother smoke
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Congrats to the Brethren!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mosmoker
10-04-2010, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=Sledneck;1420605]COngrats to all the brethren that competed. Did Lotta Bull stick around for the awards?:wink: Just curious as to why they only have 76% CBJ? Lots of guest judges and media? Not enough CBJ in the area? I thought i had heard that their was a waiting list to get in to judging?

Wasn't 76% last year? I don't know about majority of tables, but ours plus others in immediate area seated 3 CBJ and 3 non certified. We had a table captain but ended up having to judge and table captain due to shortage of judges and having to pull one CBJ from our table.

Kudos to KCBS reps for doing a great job on getting everyone seated timely and keeping everything running smooth, especially with almost 500 judges. I heard from some judges that there had been issues in the past but I didn't see any serious problems.

Congratulations to all who walked.

ique
10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Congrats... nice job DivaQ on that 10th overall.

Check it out, I came in DAL at the biggest BBQ Comp in the world. :clap2:

chambersuac
10-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats to the Brethren!

goodsmokebbq
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM

It seems like you missed all the turn ins. :-P

Cue's Your Daddy
10-04-2010, 10:44 AM

they heard you were a Patriots fan

jimbloomfield
10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Some of the Brethren are also Pelletheads as I am. Congrats to those who competed.

Bigdog
10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Some of the Brethren are also Pelletheads as I am. Congrats to those who competed.

Thanks Jim. Great to know that. :cool:

WannaBeBBQueen
10-04-2010, 11:48 AM

so what's the story were you not there?

ique
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
so what's the story were you not there?

I couldn't go this year but wanted to keep my site. Another team used my site for a party and sent in chicken under IQUE so I was officially entered. I should have 'dibs' on the site for next year.

Plowboy
10-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I couldn't go this year but wanted to keep my site. Another team used my site for a party and sent in chicken under IQUE so I was officially entered. I should have 'dibs' on the site for next year.

Too bad the party got out of hand and you got banned for life. :becky:

Ron_L
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Walt says "That's not out of the realm of possibilities" :-D

ique
10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Too bad the party got out of hand and you got banned for life. :becky:`

That actually would not be surprising

Sledneck
10-04-2010, 01:16 PM

How great would that of been if they won chicken?

JD McGee
10-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Congrats everyone...

Big George's BBQ
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Congrats to all that walked

davidh9946
10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Looks like most of the replies were on target as to why it was "only" 76%. This was for the open event that had 490 scores submitted. (There were over 500+ teams but some partied a little bit.) The invitational had 132 teams submit and there is a waiting list for that event. I was lucky enough to judge it this year but I submitted my application the same day they opened it up to accept judges. I have my cal. marked for next year as a reminder. Great job by all those 'quers and I hope you had a good time in KC.

Plowboy
10-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you to all who volunteered to judge.

WannaBeBBQueen
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM

lmao!! good one Todd :becky:

Coz
10-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Finally arrived home. It was great too meet a few of the Brethren I hadnt met but I wish I would have had more time to get around to visit. Big damn place to cover. Congrats to all who competed.

Balls Casten
10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
What’s the procedure to getting the judges individual scores? We have the totals but looking for taste /tenderness/ etc.
(another team member signs us up for this one and we have never gotten them.)

KC_Bobby
10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
They get mailed to the address your team was signed up under. I remember last year they came fairly quick.

sfisch
10-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Well we got back to Michigan all in one piece, pretty much WOW! sum's the whole experience up. Thats the first time I have been to a contest bigger than the Jack and it was amazing to see it all. Got a chance to meet Phil and a bunch of other Brethren which was nice, we placed really well. Even being on the Dark Side wasn't as bad as I thought it may be, was actually really fun. Hope to do it again next year.

Scott

Plowboy
10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Well we got back to Michigan all in one piece, pretty much WOW! sum's the whole experience up. Thats the first time I have been to a contest bigger than the Jack and it was amazing to see it all. Got a chance to meet Phil and a bunch of other Brethren which was nice, we placed really well. Even being on the Dark Side wasn't as bad as I thought it may be, was actually really fun. Hope to do it again next year.

Scott

The Royal experience is like no other. It is hard to describe and do it justice.

KnucklHed BBQ
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Congrats to all that walked! Was great to see so many Brethren teams called!

Had fun meeting the few folks that I was able to, hopefully next year I'll be let off my leash more and get around to see everyone!

QansasjayhawQ
10-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Thank you to all who volunteered to judge.
Yeah, well, someone had to do it! :wink:

It is strange that out of how many thousands of certified judges in the area that they can only rustle up a few hundred.

They even had to import one all the way from IOWA!

Jeff_in_KC
10-05-2010, 05:16 PM
The Royal experience is like no other. It is hard to describe and do it justice.

It's also hard to put into words just how happy I am that it's OVER! :shock:

dgassaway
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Congratulations to 223rd place Jonny Rotisserie and Knucklhed. :clap2:

Not only did they compete in all 4 categories over open fire with an Auspit, but they were by far the most enthusiastic at the awards ceremony. The Grand Champion winner was not as excited as these guys.

Way to go guys, not an easy feat but you did it! :thumb:

Smokin Mike
10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, well, someone had to do it! :wink:

It is strange that out of how many thousands of certified judges in the area that they can only rustle up a few hundred.

They even had to import one all the way from IOWA!

thats because one of the best judges comes from IOWA :boxing::boxing::thumb:.

Lion Bout The Q
10-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Friday night my cooking partner, Mike , described it as a big party where some BBQ broke out....

Bentley
10-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Congrats to Lotta Bull & Swine Assassins on GC and RGC!

That was a fun weekend, nothing like 2003!

Plowboy
10-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Friday night my cooking partner, Mike , described it as a big party where some BBQ broke out....

One of my favorite quotes on BBQ is, "Comp BBQ is like camping with a purpose."

Jorge
10-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Congrats Bentley! Sorry I didn't get around to visit.

Plowboy
10-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Not only did they compete in all 4 categories over open fire with an Auspit, but they were by far the most enthusiastic at the awards ceremony. The Grand Champion winner was not as excited as these guys.

I want a Jonny Rotisserie shirt. :thumb:

KnucklHed BBQ
10-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks David! It wouldn't have been possible without you transporting all my junk down there and back!

I want a Jonny Rotisserie shirt. :thumb:

lol, I promise you, you're not the first person to ask for one...

I was hoping to get by to meet you, but Jonny had me slaving away all weekend...
I feel like I went to prison for 5 days, picked up @ the airport, drove to the AR site, forced slave labor inside a 10 ft fence and then back to the airport... Saw nothing of KC! Did get to meet some other great Brethren tho! :thumb:

Plowboy
10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks David! It wouldn't have been possible without you transporting all my junk down there and back!

lol, I promise you, you're not the first person to ask for one...

I was hoping to get by to meet you, but Jonny had me slaving away all weekend...
I feel like I went to prison for 5 days, picked up @ the airport, drove to the AR site, forced slave labor inside a 10 ft fence and then back to the airport... Saw nothing of KC! Did get to meet some other great Brethren tho! :thumb:

I hardly got around at all most of the weekend. We had a little party at the spot on Friday night and then 90% of my contests were solo cooks. Had some help during turn ins and Sunday morning. Kinda feel like I missed out on the best part of the Royal... seeing new/old friends.

Plowboy
10-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Congrats to your crew. Wish I could have gotten around to visit with you. I didn't know about the whole pelletheads.com team until Fast Eddy told me after awards. That is really cool. BBQ Central needs to have you guys on the show.

Bigmista
10-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Head Cook for Pelletheads.com was our own Bentley! Congrats to that team!

Bigmista
10-06-2010, 10:03 AM

You got that right! J. ROtis was running around the arena screaming"223! We got 223!" Cool to see that kind of unbridled joy.

Bigmista
10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I hardly got around at all most of the weekend. We had a little party at the spot on Friday night and then 90% of my contests were solo cooks. Had some help during turn ins and Sunday morning. Kinda feel like I missed out on the best part of the Royal... seeing new/old friends.

Glad I got a hug!

Plowboy
10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Glad I got a hug!

ditto

Diva Q
10-06-2010, 11:07 AM
You can hardly be surprised that people may have also avoided you when you came to the door like this :-)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs359.snc4/44239_483197530929_312277535929_7371698_6362845_n. jpg

dgassaway
10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
You got that right! J. ROtis was running around the arena screaming"223! We got 223!" Cool to see that kind of unbridled joy.

Would love to have a video to share. Hell J Rotis was so excited he ran up and mounted me like a spider monkey...whats up with that?? OK, on second thought maybe its better not to have video.

KnucklHed BBQ
10-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Would love to have a video to share. Hell J Rotis was so excited he ran up and mounted me like a spider monkey...whats up with that?? OK, on second thought maybe its better not to have video.

Ask and you shall recieve my friend!! Well, not him mounting you, but unbridled joy none the less!

Last video in this post!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1423313&postcount=82

leanza
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Bentley, what a great job you did at the Royal. You really have alot to be proud of placing #3. That is amazing. Congratulations on a great accomplishment.

Plowboy
10-06-2010, 06:41 PM
You can hardly be surprised that people may have also avoided you when you came to the door like this :-)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs359.snc4/44239_483197530929_312277535929_7371698_6362845_n. jpg

It was just my BigMista impersonation.

Jorge
10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
It was just my BigMista impersonation.

No wonder your kid cleaned up selling popcorn!:-P

Bentley
10-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks.

Diva Q
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
We had such an amazing time. Thanks so much to all the Brethren that stopped by and visited with us. We really loved seeing everyone for sure!!
http://divaq.ca/the-american-royal-invitational-open-oh-my-flip-what-a-trip

Bigmista
10-06-2010, 11:45 PM
No wonder your kid cleaned up selling popcorn!:-P

I bought some and I don't even like Popcorn.

KnucklHed BBQ
10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
We had such an amazing time. Thanks so much to all the Brethren that stopped by and visited with us. We really loved seeing everyone for sure!!
http://divaq.ca/the-american-royal-invitational-open-oh-my-flip-what-a-trip

Didn't get to meet you there, but enjoyed checking out your recap! Thanks for sharing!

Jonny Rotisserie told me you came by our spot, but I was off somewhere else, maybe next year!

Plowboy
10-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I bought some and I don't even like Popcorn.

How can you resist the sales charm of a 6 year old in a Cub Scout uniform... or his 41 yr old dad in a BSA leader uniform? :thumb:

BBQchef33
10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
i too didnt get to see everyone(and it wasnt lack of looking). Took the bike out and crusied the B lot a bunk of times. Stopped wherever i spoted a banner or knew someone. Bigmista and I wandered the dark side Friday night but it was a bit on the late side and things seemed to have been winding down. We had a couple of parties at our site both friday and saturday and loads of brethren stopped by for dinner as well as the wiredbbq camera crew. all in all we had a great time(exce[pt for the car getting broken into)... great to meet everyone!

Jorge
10-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Phil, next year you and Kelly Wertz need to have a Prime Rib Throwdown......

Jonny Rotisserie
10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I hardly got around at all most of the weekend. We had a little party at the spot on Friday night...

KnucklHed and I were planning to come by for your gathering Friday, but we were totally slammed that night between trying to figure out what/how to cook on Sunday and the mobs of people gathering around our fire pits/rotating meat setup. I had really been looking forward to meeting you guys. Will you be in Talladega?

Congrats by the way for your great showing in KC! :clap2:

--Jonny Rotisserie

Plowboy
10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
KnucklHed and I were planning to come by for your gathering Friday, but we were totally slammed that night between trying to figure out what/how to cook on Sunday and the mobs of people gathering around our fire pits/rotating meat setup. I had really been looking forward to meeting you guys. Will you be in Talladega?

Congrats by the way for your great showing in KC! :clap2:

--Jonny Rotisserie

Thanks, buddy. Not going to Degaque.