PDA

View Full Version : What Wins? Baby Backs Or Spares...

JD McGee
10-03-2010, 09:28 PM
So...I have a question...what wins in your neck of the woods...bb's or spares? :idea:

bigabyte
10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Generally spares, although BB's can also be very nice. I prefer the flavor of properly cooked, trimmed spare meat. Probably because it is closer to the bacon on the pig, while the BB's are basically pork chop meat. I love me some pork chops too...but Bacon wins, hands down.

nthole
10-03-2010, 10:22 PM
We can't win with either :wink:.

Having judged I really think either can win when done the best. Great spares and great babies are both great. You can get straight 9s with both. It's mostly about picking one and really working at it.

Maddog's
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Babys or Spares...what wins?
:thumb:Whatever YOU'RE cooking, John !

( Mrs. Christine says "Hi" to Mrs R. McGee. )

Plowboy
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
The answer is both. You'll find both cuts winning.

Smokedelic
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Whatever ones you can consistently cook the best.

bigabyte
10-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Ooops, I didn't realize this was in the Comp forum. I thought this was just another "which do you like better" threads. Not a question of what wins comps more. My bad. That changes things entirely because then it is not based on my opinion, but on statistical evidence, which I do not have.

wbc
10-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I never seen BBs entered in any Q

nthole
10-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I never seen BBs entered in any Q

Have you judged more than one comp? Seriously, when I judge usually 1/3rd are babies. Maybe it's a regional thing.

JD McGee
10-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Babys or Spares...what wins?
:thumb:Whatever YOU'RE cooking, John !

( Mrs. Christine says "Hi" to Mrs R. McGee. )

Hey Pat...nice to see you over here...we need to get together real soon with the ladies and talk bbq...over a nice glass of vino of course! :-P Hi back at ya Christine...from Rhana...:becky:

C-Town Smoker
10-04-2010, 06:02 AM
According to Yazoo's Delta Q, if you are going to cook an MBN contest, you better cook babybacks if you want a shot...spares will get you bottom five at best.

ique
10-04-2010, 06:21 AM
... Yes

Hub
10-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Based on 3 yrs of judging in the Southeast I'd say babybacks are rare -- about 75% or more of the rib entries (KCBS) are spares. On the personal side (cookin' for friends and family) I like bb's for ease of cooking -- no trimming, just skin 'em and get going.

Lake Dogs
10-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Depends, based on 6 years judging in the South; KCBS = Spares, MBN = Baby Backs Rare to see BB's in KCBS, rare to see Spares in MBN.

Maddog's
10-04-2010, 11:13 AM
JD - we were thinking we would have you over after you return from THE JACK!
And if we don't talk before then, have a great trip! Here's hoping the sun shines on
you folks and the pits are just absolutely hummin' for ya!
And by the way, at The Jack, BABYS OR SPARES?

ZILLA
10-04-2010, 11:25 AM
In Texas organizations you can only turn in Spares for the main catagory of Ribs so that's that. But BBs do very well in the open catagory.

JD McGee
10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
JD - we were thinking we would have you over after you return from THE JACK!
And if we don't talk before then, have a great trip! Here's hoping the sun shines on
you folks and the pits are just absolutely hummin' for ya!
And by the way, at The Jack, BABYS OR SPARES?

Sounds like a plan Pat...at this point I`m thinking SPARES...but I may do both and see which ones I like best...;0)

moocow
10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
We normally do spares but recently decided we wanted to do Baby-backs at the Jack so we did them at the Royal this weekend for pratice. It paid off with a 11th place in the open so I think it is safe to use them! I personally like both but the BB's seem to be less work prepping them.

swamprb
10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Sounds like a plan Pat...at this point I`m thinking SPARES...but I may do both and see which ones I like best...;0)

Are you talking next season PNWBA or the Jack?

JD McGee
10-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Where ever I may roam...;0)

Scottie
10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Changing things up for the Jack is like putting a bullet to your head. Who cares what works in a certain region. Cook what you kow how to cook.

As for what works in any region. A perfectly cooked rib will win out ANYWHERE, doesn't matter if it is a loin back or spares...

JD McGee
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Changing things up for the Jack is like putting a bullet to your head. Who cares what works in a certain region. Cook what you kow how to cook.

As for what works in any region. A perfectly cooked rib will win out ANYWHERE, doesn't matter if it is a loin back or spares...

I hope the local judges see it your way...as far as cooking bb` or spares...makes no difference to me...just trying to get a feel for what works where...:0) If the poll is any indication...looks like spares are the rib of choice...

2Fat
10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
always cooked spares at contests 'cause just like them better---due to operator error only have cooked loinbacks once at a contest and got a call(Shannon) but still always cook spares--big reason is they are easier to cook well and display well too--at least for me!

Smokedelic
10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I hope the local judges see it your way...as far as cooking bb` or spares...makes no difference to me...just trying to get a feel for what works where...:0) If the poll is any indication...looks like spares are the rib of choice...
If it helps at all, I came in 2nd at the Jack several years ago(2006) with baby backs.

ique
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Here is my hint: Johnny Trigg won the Jack twice.

JD McGee
10-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Spares...parkay...brown sugar...honey...foil...:thumb: :twisted:

JD McGee
10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I had a conversation a couple of years back with an old timer who used to cook the national bbq circuit...he offered me one piece of advice that made sense to me then...and more so now. "Cook Regionally"...he said.

I guess I could pose the same question/poll for pork butt, brisket, and chicken...as far as what brand...what parts...white or dark meat...pulled or chunks...burnt ends in the box...etc...etc...

I chose to ask about ribs because they're kinda my thing...I love cooking ribs. I truly believe that cooking for the local judges taste buds is the way to roll...but that's my opinion...it just makes sense to me.

Historically teams from our neck of the woods have not fared well back east...not that they aren't outstanding cooks...because they are...but for some reason walks at the Royal or the Jack are few and far between. I want to know why...

I also believe that the playing field is being leveled across the nation thanks to the internet and forums such as this one that offer tips of the trade to beginners such as myself. I have much to learn about my passion...the only way I know how to get the answers to my questions is to ask them.

Thanks for answering my questions...:-P

JD

Yazoo's
10-06-2010, 04:55 AM
I agree with Scotty, a great rib will win anywhere- unless you are cooking MBN and turn in a spare:). Probably more important than the type is slightly adjusting your flavor and/or texture for different regions, and even this is not as important in the rib category as it is in the other meats.

JD McGee
10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Probably more important than the type is slightly adjusting your flavor and/or texture for different regions, and even this is not as important in the rib category as it is in the other meats.

Agreed...the flavor profile is the most important thing...:thumb: But why more so for the other meats as opposed to ribs? I would think it equally important for all meats...:confused:

Jorge
10-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Did Johnny tell you that?:thumb:

Scottie
10-06-2010, 08:22 AM
All I cook is all over the country in different regions. I've done alright I guess...... heck I even scored in Lake Placid this year and usually get my ass handed to me out there... but good BBQ is good BBQ. I don't change a thing. Heck I was able to hit 3rd place pork in Mississippi (a big MBN area) with sliced pork.... not usually the norm in those parts. But it was good bbq..... it was also the exact pork as the GAB, Mesquite, Lake Placid, " Grand Rapids Michigan .....

So I don't believe all that regional stuff...

JD McGee
10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
All I cook is all over the country in different regions. I've done alright I guess...... heck I even scored in Lake Placid this year and usually get my ass handed to me out there... but good BBQ is good BBQ. I don't change a thing. Heck I was able to hit 3rd place pork in Mississippi (a big MBN area) with sliced pork.... not usually the norm in those parts. But it was good bbq..... it was also the exact pork as the GAB, Mesquite, Lake Placid, " Grand Rapids Michigan .....

So I don't believe all that regional stuff...

Awesome...congrats on your success...sounds like you have perfected your flavor profiles that do well wherever you compete...EXACTLY what I am trying to do. :0)

Butcher BBQ
10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I think the the most winning rib out there is the one that has the best taste and cooked the best. Simple.

The_Kapn
10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I think the the most winning rib out there is the one that has the best taste and cooked the best. Simple.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When judgeing in the SE, I see a mix in both FBA and KCBS.
The judges at my tables have never expressed a preference.
(Side note--two judges did not know the difference) :redface:

The top 10 Rib Cooks in the FBA last year cooked a mix.

QUALITY is the key.

JMHO

TIM

bam
10-06-2010, 05:54 PM

I agree with Butcher BBQ but I take my chances with St Louis spares.

JD McGee
10-09-2010, 12:57 PM

I think you a correct sir...I also think the same applies for all the meats...not just ribs...:cool:

Thanks for your input folks...looks like spares are the clear "winner"...

JD