View Full Version : New from Missouri Posting from Kuwait

09-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Hello to all Brethren!!
Wishing to follow protocol, my first post is in here to introduce myself to the masses. As the title reads, I live in Clinton Missouri except for the last eight months I have been in the Udairi Desert in Kuwait supporting operations OEF and OND (the war formally known as OIF) with the US Army.
My passion for BBQ spans back to 1986 when I purchased an el cheepo bullet smoker and proceeded to char hunks of meat in an effort to create passable Q. While I'm not sure, my BBQ learning curve may have contributed to the end of my first marriage. I should have known it was doomed, as she held the firm belief that the difference between grilling and BBQ was the sauce:crazy: . but I digress.
At home I cook on a Brinkman Cimarron smoker and a Webber Royal grill. Besides the regular tools of the trade I use an ET-73 thermometer. I'm in the market for an additional smoker but I haven't decided what to get yet because I wish to dive into competition cooking next year. I'm thinking of either a WSM, Lund, or Jambo. My current wife of 16 years loves BBQ and my passion for it but I'm not sure she'll be uber supportive on the price of a lund or Jambo so I'm leaning toward a WSM which seems to be loved by everyone who owns one.
The quest for knowledge on competition cooking brought me to the Brethren site. I belong to a few other BBQ forums with many involved in competitions, but as I was ghosting around the site I noticed, not only the number of people who compete but how willing they are to help each other. I'm a complete newb when it comes to competition but I would rather dive in head first than wade in slowly. This deployment however has given me time to research and find answers to my questions, which of course leads to more questions. It's a never ending cycle.
I look forward to picking the brains of the members and I hope I can contibute in some small way in return.
Good luck to everyone competing in the Royal. I hope to join you there next year

09-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Welcome Stacks from The Land of the Buckeye Nut :becky: Thank you so much for your service to our country. This is great place to learn and if you having something to share ... Put it out there:thumb: Sounds like your life will stay exciting when you get home ... Good luck selling the little woman on a Jambo :-P

09-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Welcome to the Brethren... and, of course, thank you for what you're doing over in Kuwait. It sounds like you have a bit of time to decide on the new smoker... that's quite a range to choose from! :)

09-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Welcome aboard Stacks, enjoy what you learn and share what you know, it's what we do here. BTW, thank you for serving our great nation, the wifey and I will you keep you and your buds in our prayers for a safe return.

09-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Welcome STACKS. Glad to have you with us!

Big George's BBQ
09-30-2010, 07:02 AM

09-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Welcome aboard Stacks! Lotsa other MOFOs (Missouri Folks) here.

Thanks for your service.

smoken don
09-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Welcome Stacks! Any questions you have,just ask. The folks here are great. The information is amazing.

Thank you for your service! Stay safe.

09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
welcome brother and thank you for your service, you are in our thoughts and prayers
Semper Fi

Midnight Smoke
09-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Hello and Welcome! Thank-You for your service!

09-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the camp,
Thanks again for your service.

Smiter Q
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
WELCOME! A blessing to have you visit with us here! Thank you for doing so, and thank you for serving our country!
You will find that a lot of us here sure are appreciative of the men and women who do!

Have you read at all about the UDS?(ugly drum smoker) Cheap to make, and turn out good Q. Might be an alternative to the WSM, and allow you to save some coinage towards your preferred smoker.

09-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Welcome Stacks, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

bbq ron
10-01-2010, 06:01 AM
welcome from saint peters mo :-P:-P

10-02-2010, 03:13 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome, prayers, and several suggestions toward a new smoker.

10-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Welcome to our crazy little club house! And let me add my thanx for your service as well ;>)

powder hogs
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Howdy There!!!

10-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Welcome from a fellow Missourian, Columbia, that is. I can't speak for competition but I DOOOOO LOOOOOOVE my WSM. I had a Cimmaron first and had to struggle with temp control. Some friends and I went for a fishing retreat at Bennett Springs and one of them brought along his WSM. After watching that thing purr for 6 hours at 225 with little or no effort or tending to, I came home and bought one the next weekend.
I would note though that you do see alot of WSMs at comps.
Thanks for your service to our country!

Alan in Ga
10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome from Ga