PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh-Durham

Gore
09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I expect to be making multiple trips to the area over the next year and wondering what is recommended for BBQ.

Stoke&Smoke
09-30-2010, 07:41 AM
A warning, many places in the research triangle area are not allowed to cook with wood due to environmental regulations, so some of what you may find may not really be BBQ, just slow cooked with gas. That said...

Allen & Son have the best que in the area, IMHO. Bullock's and Dillards are ok, but not as good. If you're looking for something on the fine dining charts, and don't mind paying a little, go find the Magnolia Grill. They're a James Beard award winner, and put out some amazing food!

If you like baseball, and find yourself there in the summer, take in a Durham Bulls game. Really nice little park, a lot of fun, and Dillards has a food booth there. Baseball, BBQ, and beer, can't beat it!

lcbateman3
09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes many of the newer opening places are not allowed to cook with wood so they use gas or electric. Some have pretty good luck with it. Really hate that about NC; unless you were grandfathered in you were screwed. Let me know when you come down, I'll meet you up there sometime.

Gore
09-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the info, and Lionel, If I can work it in, I'll let you know!

MilitantSquatter
09-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Are you gonna be anywhere near Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" ?

http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/

Gore
10-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I certainly can be. I have a couple (very) short trips to make, but expect to be in the Durham area each month for a couple days. I've been known to drive a hundred miles for decent BBQ. This is almost withing walking distance. I assume this is on the "recommend" list and not the "avoid" list. It says they have tofu, so it's best to be sure.

Stoke&Smoke
10-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Wow! Totally missed that place when I was there! I remember Mitchell did a throwdown with Flay...and won....(though Flay loses just about every time)

Will have to check that one out next time I'm down that way, menu looks awesome!

N8man
10-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Count me in on trying to set up a meet and greet....
I work 7 days a week but might be able to manage
to vanish for a couple of hours sometime....

Gore
10-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Count me in on trying to set up a meet and greet....
I work 7 days a week but might be able to manage
to vanish for a couple of hours sometime....

I'll let you know when I'm coming, but I'm letting you know in advance there is no way I can eat 17 ABTs!

smoke-n-my-i's
10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I go past Allen & Sons, the one north of Chapel Hill, every day going to work. And most days the smoke is already rolling.... He starts early.....

I live just west of Durham so let me know and if possible, maybe we can go out to eat somewhere....

Bill

A warning, many places in the research triangle area are not allowed to cook with wood due to environmental regulations, so some of what you may find may not really be BBQ, just slow cooked with gas. That said...

Allen & Son have the best que in the area, IMHO. Bullock's and Dillards are ok, but not as good. If you're looking for something on the fine dining charts, and don't mind paying a little, go find the Magnolia Grill. They're a James Beard award winner, and put out some amazing food!

If you like baseball, and find yourself there in the summer, take in a Durham Bulls game. Really nice little park, a lot of fun, and Dillards has a food booth there. Baseball, BBQ, and beer, can't beat it!

Gore
10-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Woooo Hoooo, I'm going out to a rest-aur-ant. Can I bring a doggie bag with me?

Thanks, sounds like fun!

3 Rivers BBQ
10-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Brethren, I will be heading up to the Raleigh area over the next couple of weeks, Louisburg to be exact. I am having my sauce bottled there and would enjoy meeting with you and sharing some "hopefull" soon too be famous bbq sauce. The exact date has not been finalized, but should be by end of month.

Ron_L
10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Guys... Check with NCGrimbo as well (you may have to PM him). He lives in the area and may have suggestions and may be up for a mini bash.

Low-n-Slow
10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Gore - I'm a couple hours south of Durham so I'm not real familiar with the area up there. Since you said you've been known to take a road trip, here's an interesting map, "historic barbeque trail" (http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html) from the NC BBQ Society.

Gore
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow! You guys are great! I'm still waiting to see how this works out. Had to make one short trip out there (one night), but was a meeting with a bunch of old farts who complained that their stomachs couldn't handle anything so spicy as BBQ -- had to go to Cheesecake Factory instead. Definitely, there's a lot of good info here and if things do materialize, will keep you informed.

dresselbrew
11-14-2010, 04:27 PM
I went to the Pit once with some friends from work and I was impressed. I was a little skeptical at first but most everything I had was awesome.

big blue bbq
11-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I just left the pit a few minutes ago. Wanted ribs, so I got the BBQ fries to try the pork. Pork was really good. Ribs were not what I expected. Brought to the table just excellently smoked ribs. Not any seasoning that I could tell. The sauce complimented them well, but I ate them the way they were brought out. Really good. Not many people are confident enough in their abilities to cook just plain ribs. It was a pleasant surprise!

keale
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
There's this place in Ossipee-Osceola, I hear its a real Red neck kind of place...the que is unreal!! You gotta try his smoked bologna!, The owner looks scary though, but I hear he's a pussy cat! The place is called N8'S BBQ! Home of the CHUB!!:-P:clap2::clap2::heh:

Gore
11-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I just left the pit a few minutes ago. Wanted ribs, so I got the BBQ fries to try the pork. Pork was really good. Ribs were not what I expected. Brought to the table just excellently smoked ribs. Not any seasoning that I could tell. The sauce complimented them well, but I ate them the way they were brought out. Really good. Not many people are confident enough in their abilities to cook just plain ribs. It was a pleasant surprise!

Had two days of meetings there with some colleagues from Spain. Everytime they're with me I feed them nothing but Que. I don't know if they appreciate it or are just humoring me. We tried to get to Allen and Sons, but it was closed (Fark, 5:00pm), so turned around and went to the Pit. Must say we all would agree with you that was the best we'd had in that area. They especially liked the ribs and the beer was also great. I'm still expecting to be down once a month or so by myself and hopefully can meet some of you when this happens.