PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Barn Burner BBQ at Lambs Farm in Libertyville, IL 10/15 & 10/16 2010!

Ron_L
09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que will be there and I should have bags of whole bean coffee available for $10/bag.

Who's in?

Scottie
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
we'll be there. I should have enough variation of your coffee by then... :thumb:

Coz
09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Ron you still have the rain gear out? Its a possibility I may wander down to the homeland.

Ford
09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
We're thinking about it. 21 teams as of today so I'd be 22. Will decide this week.

Stoke&Smoke
09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Our entry is going into the mail today.

Rich Parker
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I still have to confirm a couple of things with the organizer but it looks like we are going to cross the big pond to play with the big boys. :clap2:

Ron_L
09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Ron you still have the rain gear out? Its a possibility I may wander down to the homeland.

I never put the rain gear away! I hope that you can make it, Coz!

I still have to confirm a couple of things with the organizer but it looks like we are going to cross the big pond to play with the big boys. :clap2:

Cool! It will be good to see you, Rich!

Scottie
09-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Let me know if I can answer any questions Rich, I've been going since the first year. Although, Claudia is usually timely with her responses. I've got to say, I enjoy the contest. A lot of the residences come out to interact with the teams. I have a few friends over the years, I hope they still have my t-shirts and caps I gave them.

big boys? who's coming? I love it when the big boys come out to play...

Rich Parker
09-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Cool! It will be good to see you, Rich!

It will be good to see you and the Parsley Lady again too.

Let me know if I can answer any questions Rich, I've been going since the first year. Although, Claudia is usually timely with her responses. I've got to say, I enjoy the contest. A lot of the residences come out to interact with the teams. I have a few friends over the years, I hope they still have my t-shirts and caps I gave them.

big boys? who's coming? I love it when the big boys come out to play...

We are looking for a nice hotel relatively close to the comp so my wife, MIL, and daughter have a place to stay. Any ideas?

Also need to find out if i can get a spot a little bigger than 20 X 20 because of the trailer. Do you think if i just get there really early Friday i will be good or should i call her about it?

Do you know what kind of surface (e.g. grass, pavement) we will be cooking on, because i need to plan on how i am going to secure my ez up?

The big boys are you and Ron L....:becky:

Scottie
09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I know there is a Holiday Inn Express and a Days Inn that are close (maybe Libertyville address?). Maybe a couple of miles from the site? the event is at Lamb's Farm, so if you google that, I am sure there are plenty of hotels near. Claudia can work with you on size of your site. Most of the teams are on gravel or asphalt. Some might be on grass? Majority on hard surface. Although, I know puddles also happen on some of the graveled areas. As for securing your Ez-Up. I'd recommend the set-up you had at Silver Lake.. Seemed effective and didn't need to pack any extra weights or tie downs... ;)

and yes, me and Ron are big boys... BBQ large... :icon_blush:

Ron_L
09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Well... I am big, but physically only :-D

I received an e-mail from Claudia last week that said that they were moving the comp further south in the parking lot so all spaces should be on asphalt. Last year some spots were in mud.

I've also requested a larger space and she hasn't responded to that yet.

Rich Parker
09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I haven't been to a comp on asphalt yet but i would think buckets of water should be enough to strap down the ez up. What do you guys use?

I knowI'd recommend the set-up you had at Silver Lake.. Seemed effective and didn't need to pack any extra weights or tie downs... ;)

You are never going to let me forget that are you?? :heh:

musicmanryann
09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
We should be there as well. Will be bringing rubber boots and big tarp in case we are in the mud pit again this year. :-p

Scottie
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I haven't been to a comp on asphalt yet but i would think buckets of water should be enough to strap down the ez up. What do you guys use?

You are never going to let me forget that are you?? :heh:

Buckets would work...

forget? Are you kidding. I thought I was still dreaming when I came out of my RV at 6:15 and you were strapped in... OK, that should get everyone trying to figure out what we are talking about now... :becky:

Jorge
09-28-2010, 12:24 PM
We should be there as well. Will be bringing rubber boots and big tarp in case we are in the mud pit again this year. :-p

:shock:Dude, are you guys Energizer bunnies?:shock:

Rich Parker
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Buckets would work...

forget? Are you kidding. I thought I was still dreaming when I came out of my RV at 6:15 and you were strapped in... OK, that should get everyone trying to figure out what we are talking about now... :becky:

Hahaha... it was super windy and I was running out of options. :)

Divemaster
09-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Our check is going out today...

Ford
09-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I was told sites are 20x40 and when I said I needed 30x40 she said she could work with me and put me on an end. As we'll probably be there Thursday it should be no problem for us. Apparently a couple of others are coming in Thursday.

Scottie
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
sites are 20 x 20. If you need 20 x 40, you have to request that. They are under restrictions for the size of space that they have for the contest site.

I am planning on dropping off my rig on Thursday, so I can work a few hours on Friday. I know they won't have electric until Friday, when the generator is cranked up.

Rich Parker
09-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I got off the pot and mailed in the registration form today. See you guys there!

Ford
09-29-2010, 02:38 PM
looks like I won't be going. They can't accomodate both the motorhome and the trailer. Have funs everybody.

Scottie
09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I think a 30 x 40 spot is a hard one to accomodate for an organizer. That's 4 - 20' x 20' spots. They don't charge for up spots, but they are also limited to the space and number of spots that they have.

The good news is she got another 6 entries today in the mail.

If anyone needs help with anything let me know. I'll be pulling my rig in on Thursday night, so I can work some on Friday...

Brew-B-Q
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I can help as well, as I'm only 15 minutes away. I can pick up some rotten pork, as I'm pretty good at that.

Scottie
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Get a bottle of Jack and I'll give you another lesson... I might be drunk for that lesson though...

Captian Dan
09-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Buckets would work...

i was there and seen it with my own 2 eyes. I bet your glad you didn't use that rig at Sparta!:-D

Divemaster
10-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Might want to pack something nice and warm for Friday Night....

Friday:
High - 63*
Low - 49*

Saturday:
High - 64*
Low - 40*

Scottie
10-06-2010, 10:06 AM
That's warm compared to all the past years...

BearCat
10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
We should be there hopefully Thur evening also

Divemaster
10-06-2010, 01:12 PM
That's warm compared to all the past years...
Yea, last year it was what, 39*... The key was that we had a couple of propane heaters for our ez-up and an electric one for the trailer... I think we had it sitting around 72* all night....

Ron_L
10-06-2010, 01:22 PM
I think it was colder than that. I found ice on my truck when I woke up on Saturday morning. Let's hope that it at least stays dry.

Divemaster
10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Looks like it's going to be dry and sunny, just chilly...

I just got off the phone with Claudia and she now has 36 teems!

Rich Parker
10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Might want to pack something nice and warm for Friday Night....

Friday:
High - 63*
Low - 49*

Saturday:
High - 64*
Low - 40*

My favorite BBQ weather! If only gets down to 49 i should be able to stay in shorts. :-D

I am looking forward to trying everyones chili.

Captian Dan
10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Good luck everyone. Be glad we are not coming , it would rain for sure if we were.:rolleyes:

Divemaster
10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Just to let every one know, Angelo, one of my original team mates birthday was just this last Saturday.

We'd like to invite everyone over to our site for a little double smoked ham (OK, RD had about 50 pounds that I couldn't pass up), and good cheer!

If you would like to bring something, please feel welcome to do so!

Now if we could just get Dan up to this one!

Ron_L
10-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I'll bring my appetite! :becky:

Now, if you had pastrami, that would be different :-D

Stoke&Smoke
10-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Sounds good Jeff! Need a few loaves of Rye bread or something to go with that? We'll have to think up something to bring along, besides the apple pie! :wink:

Happy belated BD to Angelo!

Q-topia
10-11-2010, 12:04 PM
We don't know most of you guys but we'll be there! The team name is Q-topia. We were at Lamb's Farm a few years ago. We were the rookies camped next to the Scotsmen. Through this thread thus far, I know we had a few beers with Pat from Brew-B-Que.

We brought a fire pit that seemed to hit the spot when it got chilly in the evenings, and we plan on bringing it again this year. Feel free to stop by for the warm fire.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

S h i t a l (I have to spell my name with spaces on this site because it thinks I'm cursing)

Stoke&Smoke
10-11-2010, 01:55 PM
We're in for a big pot of chili to go with the ham, for the party, not the contest. I gotta do something with the leftover brisket from Arthur, tossed it in the freezer yesterday.

Coz
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Said to say we wont be down so you should be safe from rain .With the rainmaker tore apart in the driveway we are done for the year. Dive give Angelo a birthday reacharound for me !

Ron_L
10-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear that you won't be there, Coz! I hope the repairs to the Rainmaker go well!

Divemaster
10-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Said to say we wont be down so you should be safe from rain .With the rainmaker tore apart in the driveway we are done for the year. Dive give Angelo a birthday reacharound for me !
Sorry you won't be making it Coz!

As for the reach-around, I may leave that up to you... You never know how those Greeks are going to take it!:shocked::shocked::shocked:

manty_smoke
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Smoking Addiction BBQ will be there...looking forward to the last comp of the year. I recall checking the pits @ 3am and the temp was 38 degrees last year.

chambersuac
10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
God's blessings to all of you competing this weekend. I wish I could make it up, but my son and I have plans to attend a Boy Scout event.

billm
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
ill be up on Sat am to help out Big Eds BBQ with his first KCBS contest..

BTW Jeff im 100 percent Greek ..you handing out reach arounds on Sat? :)

Divemaster
10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
ill be up on Sat am to help out Big Eds BBQ with his first KCBS contest..

BTW Jeff im 100 percent Greek ..you handing out reach arounds on Sat? :)
Not a problem... I'll send either Angelo or Nonda over to take my place... :becky:

billm
10-12-2010, 01:23 PM
not a problem... I'll send either angelo or nonda over to take my place... :becky:

oopaa!!!!

Divemaster
10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Careful what you ask for... I may have the makings for some Saganaki (sp) with me...

billm
10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
definately something meant to be cooked outside..almost burned our kictchen down once making that in my more youthful drunken days

Divemaster
10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
definately something meant to be cooked outside..almost burned our kictchen down once making that in my more youthful drunken days
Got that right... You should have seen the scorch mark on the ceiling from the last time I did it... LOL

I think it went something like "a little for the cheese, a little for me" later it was more like "I think that's a little for the cheese, and a.. a.. what the hell for me."

Coz
10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
You boys have some fun this weekend.I guess I will just have to fool around with that pellet thingy that followed me home last nite

Ron_L
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
You boys have some fun this weekend.I guess I will just have to fool around with that pellet thingy that followed me home last nite

Tease!

We need details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Arm Bandit
10-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Smokey and the One Arm Bandit will be there.

Bones
10-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Bartlett Boneheads will be cooking ribs only. I know this is lame but I want to have a little fun friday night.

Coz
10-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Tease!

We need details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron ,the voices in my head won again ...

Brew-B-Q
10-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Bartlett Boneheads will be cooking ribs only. I know this is lame but I want to have a little fun friday night.

This has traditionally been the contest where we have too much fun. I don't know if it's the end of the year, proximity, cold, or what, but it seems to happen every year. The way this week is going, I don't think it will matter as I haven't had time to do anything yet. Guess we'll pull a "have a few drinks and don't worry" weekend. It's always fun to close the season with friends and family.

Scottie
10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
This has traditionally been the contest where we have too much fun. I don't know if it's the end of the year, proximity, cold, or what, but it seems to happen every year. The way this week is going, I don't think it will matter as I haven't had time to do anything yet. Guess we'll pull a "have a few drinks and don't worry" weekend. It's always fun to close the season with friends and family.

Sounds like I need to party with you....

I do Have fun at this one. Probably because it closes out the season... well at least up North it closes ...

Stoke&Smoke
10-14-2010, 08:47 AM

I don't get it. You can't cook all 4 and still have fun??? As I recall, last year you broke your pork dry spell with a call at Libertyville:rolleyes:

Oh well, it'll be good to see you anyhow, we haven't crossed paths since Westmont I don't think

Ron_L
10-14-2010, 08:48 AM

I do Have fun at this one. Probably because it closes out the season... well at least up North it closes ...

Sounds like a great idea! You guys go ahead and have as much fun as you want to! Why don't don't you see how many of your neighbors you can recruit as well!

Have you figured out my master plan yet? :becky: :thumb: :twisted:

Scottie
10-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a great idea! You guys go ahead and have as much fun as you want to! Why don't don't you see how many of your neighbors you can recruit as well!

I've already talked with Claudia and you will be next to Smokey Joel. BTW we are having the World Championship LCR contest on Friday night... :icon_shy

Ron_L
10-14-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.earplugsonline.com/

Rich Parker
10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
I hope I am next to Ron because I need my beauty sleep. :)

Divemaster
10-14-2010, 09:30 AM
I heard that Angelo may be bringing out some of his home made Bloody Mary Mix to go along with the Bacon Vodka I made....

Just Sayin...

Brew-B-Q
10-14-2010, 10:14 AM

I think you almost went through my trailer wall during last year's brisket tutorial.

Scottie
10-14-2010, 11:30 AM
I think you almost went through my trailer wall during last year's brisket tutorial.

You should of started earlier... Before the effects of Jack started... Plus I think your trailer was on a slant and that's why I couldn't stand straight... Or walk straight for that matter...

Remember, bring a bottle of Jack if you need a pork tutorial!!! :becky:

billm
10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
the team im helping is doing dessert..does everything dessert wise have to be prepped/cooked on-site? I assume so but since Ive never messed with that category I wasnt sure what to tell them.

Divemaster
10-14-2010, 01:43 PM
the team im helping is doing dessert..does everything dessert wise have to be prepped/cooked on-site? I assume so but since Ive never messed with that category I wasnt sure what to tell them.
Sorry Bill, I don't know. I do have a call into Claudia so when she calls me back, I'll let you know....

billm
10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Sorry Bill, I don't know. I do have a call into Claudia so when she calls me back, I'll let you know....
thanks Jeff..

Divemaster
10-14-2010, 02:54 PM

I just spoke with Claudia and she said that it had to be cooked on site.

To be honest, she kind of himmed and hawed about it but then made the statement so there may be some confusion.

billm
10-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I just spoke with Claudia and she said that it had to be cooked on site.

To be honest, she kind of himmed and hawed about it but then made the statement so there may be some confusion.
thats fine..ill just tell them to cook onsite ..better to be safe ..thanks!

Bones
10-14-2010, 04:52 PM

I was told that I will be cooking next to you. That may not fit into your master plan!!!

Bones
10-14-2010, 04:55 PM

I am bringing Macallen scotch and Stolie vodka. I hope I remember to get the Ribs and trailer.

Ron_L
10-14-2010, 05:06 PM
I hope I am next to Ron because I need my beauty sleep. :)

I've given up on beauty sleep, but I do like my pellet sleep :-D

I heard that Angelo may be bringing out some of his home made Bloody Mary Mix to go along with the Bacon Vodka I made....

Just Sayin...

Hmmm... Did you get all of the grease out of the bacon vodka? Someone made some a while back and it coated the glass and ice cubes with grease.

Assuming that it has been properly degreased I may have to try some in my home made bloody mary mix :-D

I was told that I will be cooking next to you. That may not fit into your master plan!!!

I have a gun... Just sayin'... :clap2:

gjdad
10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know if there is a sauce competion? Also can you give a me a time guide as to when to visit the teams? Times when visiting wont interfer with business?

Bones
10-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I have a gun... Just sayin'... :clap2:

Me tooooo and I am a pretty good shot.....just sayin'.... 15 rounds in a 9" plate in 8 seconds. not bragging just facts. Southern boys get a gun before a bottle.
I will trade you some "peace of mind" for some coffee on saturday. Or is that a hamburger on tuesday. I get confused with those old sayings.
See ya soon

Brew-B-Q
10-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Does anyone know if there is a sauce competion? Also can you give a me a time guide as to when to visit the teams? Times when visiting wont interfer with business?
Anytime Friday night is good. Saturday before 10, after 2.

Me tooooo and I am a pretty good shot.....just sayin'.... 15 rounds in a 9" plate in 8 seconds. not bragging just facts. Southern boys get a gun before a bottle.
I will trade you some "peace of mind" for some coffee on saturday. Or is that a hamburger on tuesday. I get confused with those old sayings.
See ya soon

Umm, ok....don't forget those ribs.

Bones
10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Anytime Friday night is good. Saturday before 10, after 2.

Umm, ok....don't forget those ribs.

Got them loaded in the trailer and the trailer hooked to the truck. Hope to arrive around 3:00. See ya soon

Ron_L
10-14-2010, 10:35 PM

No sauce. Just the standard KCBS categories plus dessert on Saturday. There is a People's Choice Chili competition on Friday evening (5-8 I think).

As far as visiting, almost any time on Friday is good. The cook's meeting is at 6 but it is usually short.

Brew-B-Q
10-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Wow I have meat trimmed ahead of time for a change. Could only get one brisket, so we'll see how that goes. I'll be pulling in around 2 or so, hopefully.

Scottie
10-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Dropped off the Moho last night. All new layout this year. No more gravel, its all on the parking lot now.

Should have told me Pat. There were 4 briskets at RD the other day that were comp quality. 13+ lbs.

billm
10-15-2010, 09:19 AM
stop by Big Eds BBQ setup and say hi..he is vending too so im not sure where he will be setup..ill be there around today around 5 then back tommmrow morning early
bring a sauce sample with if you can so i can try it

Scottie
10-15-2010, 09:21 AM
stop by Big Eds BBQ setup and say hi..he is vending too so im not sure where he will be setup..ill be there around today around 5 then back tommmrow morning early
bring a sauce sample with if you can so i can try it

Bring your long john's... I won't have the red room this year... :thumb:

billm
10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Bring your long john's... I won't have the red room this year... :thumb:
i got them on but im not staying overnight so no big deal..man that red room was great though

Bones
10-15-2010, 10:15 AM
i got them on but im not staying overnight so no big deal..man that red room was great though
As cold as you get you should but a snowmobile suite for October and then fly south for winter.

Scottie
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM
As cold as you get you should but a snowmobile suite for October and then fly south for winter.

I have some Carhart's for him...

billm
10-15-2010, 10:38 AM
i wake up every day wondering why I still live here :)

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Weather wasn't half as bad as so many worried, heck, I was wearing shorts and a t shirt until just before the cooks meeting Friday!

Congrats to Scottie and Jeff for thier great showings! The shot fairy managed to nab 1st place dessert, so at least we didn't come away empty handed!

The ham dinner Jeff, Kathy, and crew put on was excellent Friday evening! Thanks for the great hospitality, and you guys didn't need to wash our crock pot!:-D Also thanks to Dive's crew for the Raki! Great stuff, let me know when your next shipment is and I'll pay for a bottle or two

I'm a bit baffled by the judges, but hell, what's new?! We got a comment card on our pork saying "I'd have given you a 9 instead of an 8 except for too much sauce":mad2: (I might have said the money muscle wasn't centered:rolleyes:).
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/Libertyville%202010/porksml.jpg

Then again, there were some big hitters pretty low in pork, and other categories as well. I think I'm glad I'm cooking and not judging anymore!

All in all, it was a great time, with a great bunch of folks, and an excellent way to wrap up the season!

We're already thinking about the Des Plaines winter burnoff! Have a great winter everyone, and see ya next year!

Ron_L
10-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Looks like a solid 9 to me, Dann! What were the appearance scores? I can see where there may be a little too much sauce on the pulled pieces, but not enough that I would knock it down to an 8.

We were knocked down on our pork, too (25th). I didn't expect to get first place since the bark wasn't as good as normal (I didn'tt do anything different, but it just didn't taste as good), but I didn't expect 25th, either. Our appearance scores were all over the place.

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2010, 10:22 AM
ya know, I think we have to chalk it up to...wasn't our day! I think our ribs were really good, but we must have hit Scotties table or something. Nothing below a 6, but WAY down on the list. But I can't complain. Quau Mike second to last in pork? WTF? We're looking at our season as half-full....6 comps, and 6 calls, plus a 1st in dessert, and our first ever 1st in pork. I'll take it!

We were talking with Ma and Pa's kettle afterward, and someone had given them a 3 for taste on their ribs, with a comment card that said "too salty" yet all other taste scores were 7's and above. Personally, I think a 3 is really unnescessary and a bit insulting. I am beginning to understand, after three seasons, all those negative comments about judges I heard when we were judging....but, what do you do? We need them. Just wish there was more consistency.

Whatever. Congrats again to Scottie and Jeff....looks like Scotties ribs were the deciding factor!
We had a great time, our neighbors, Q-topia, the Kettles, Moose, and Smokey and the one-armed bandit were all great!

We'll be unpacking the trailer this week and calling it a season, but I'll have the bullets accessible for the burnoff! Looking forward to a winter brethren get-together sometime in the off-season! Here's a pic of Di's dessert (1st place caramel apple upside-down cakes)scores 999 988 999 999 899 999 Almost perfect 179.4286
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/Libertyville%202010/dessert.jpg

Divemaster
10-18-2010, 10:29 AM
I have to admit that the sauce does look a bit thick on the pulled pork but nothing that I would judge down on...

Thanks again for bringing over the chili and jam to the dinner on Friday. To me, there is nothing better than having the two of them on a cool night!

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
You are more than welcome Jeff! We'll be picking up a pressure canner in the not too distant future to start putting up some more of that Hog Jam. Sure did go well with those gorgeous hams you did

billm
10-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Weather wasn't half as bad as so many worried, heck, I was wearing shorts and a t shirt until just before the cooks meeting Friday!

Congrats to Scottie and Jeff for thier great showings! The shot fairy managed to nab 1st place dessert, so at least we didn't come away empty handed!

The ham dinner Jeff, Kathy, and crew put on was excellent Friday evening! Thanks for the great hospitality, and you guys didn't need to wash our crock pot!:-D Also thanks to Dive's crew for the Raki! Great stuff, let me know when your next shipment is and I'll pay for a bottle or two

I'm a bit baffled by the judges, but hell, what's new?! We got a comment card on our pork saying "I'd have given you a 9 instead of an 8 except for too much sauce":mad2: (I might have said the money muscle wasn't centered:rolleyes:).
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/Libertyville%202010/porksml.jpg

Then again, there were some big hitters pretty low in pork, and other categories as well. I think I'm glad I'm cooking and not judging anymore!

All in all, it was a great time, with a great bunch of folks, and an excellent way to wrap up the season!

We're already thinking about the Des Plaines winter burnoff! Have a great winter everyone, and see ya next year!
Bet that judge still brought it it home in a little cooler even though it was over sauced :-P

Divemaster
10-18-2010, 10:42 AM
You are more than welcome Jeff! We'll be picking up a pressure canner in the not too distant future to start putting up some more of that Hog Jam. Sure did go well with those gorgeous hams you did
I may need to pick your brain on the pressure canner... Thinking about doing more of that in general and for our sauces specifically.

I am looking forward to more of the Hog Jam! Let me know when it's available!

Rich Parker
10-18-2010, 11:54 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/Libertyville%202010/dessert.jpg

Holy crap does that look good. Good job!

Divemaster
10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Here's a pic of Di's dessert (1st place caramel apple upside-down cakes)scores 999 988 999 999 899 999 Almost perfect 179.4286
Holy Crap!!!! I sure am glad I didn't enter that category!!!!!

Great JOB!!!!!

Q-topia
10-18-2010, 02:15 PM
ya know, I think we have to chalk it up to...wasn't our day! I think our ribs were really good, but we must have hit Scotties table or something. Nothing below a 6, but WAY down on the list. But I can't complain. Quau Mike second to last in pork? WTF? We're looking at our season as half-full....6 comps, and 6 calls, plus a 1st in dessert, and our first ever 1st in pork. I'll take it!

We were talking with Ma and Pa's kettle afterward, and someone had given them a 3 for taste on their ribs, with a comment card that said "too salty" yet all other taste scores were 7's and above. Personally, I think a 3 is really unnescessary and a bit insulting. I am beginning to understand, after three seasons, all those negative comments about judges I heard when we were judging....but, what do you do? We need them. Just wish there was more consistency.

Whatever. Congrats again to Scottie and Jeff....looks like Scotties ribs were the deciding factor!
We had a great time, our neighbors, Q-topia, the Kettles, Moose, and Smokey and the one-armed bandit were all great!

We'll be unpacking the trailer this week and calling it a season, but I'll have the bullets accessible for the burnoff! Looking forward to a winter brethren get-together sometime in the off-season! Here's a pic of Di's dessert (1st place caramel apple upside-down cakes)scores 999 988 999 999 899 999 Almost perfect 179.4286

Wow, those caramel apple upside-down cakes look awesome! Congrats on that win. Also, thanks to you too for being some kick-ass neighbors. I'm still kicking myself for not having gotten around to trying that Hog Jam! Next time, I guess.

Oh, and before I forget, thanks Captain Ron for the morning java! It's the first time we've had a chance to sample your famous brew. Thanks for the hospitality.

Congrats to Cancersuckschicago.com, Stockcar, and the rest of the calls. Hoping to meet the rest of you guys soon!

S h i t a l

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Was great having you guys for neighbors as well S h i t a l... Hope to do it again next year!

Coz
10-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Sorry we missed ya all this weekend ! Congrats to all who got the calls.

Ron_L
10-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh, and before I forget, thanks Captain Ron for the morning java! It's the first time we've had a chance to sample your famous brew. Thanks for the hospitality.

You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment! It was good seeing you guys again. I hope you'll show up at more competitions next year.

Dann, tell Diane that the dessert looks fantastic!