PDA

View Full Version : Hello from L.A. - Brazilian Churrasco guy

Slappo
09-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Hi,

Thought I'd introduce myself after checking out the Brethren for a few months. This is quite a crew here! Always been a BBQ fanatic, but just typical backyard stuff. That is, until I married my wife whose parents are from the South of Brazil (she was born and raised in Queens, though). My brother-in-law, who is a master at churrasco, introduced me to the art and finally after 5 years, I took the plunge and had a special pit made (I have an old Brinkmann Pitmaster smoker as well). Last weekend was my first time out on a large scale - my daughter's 4th birthday party. 60 adults, 40 kids. I made 60 chk thighs, 5 cuts of picanha (rump cap off the round), and about 50 sausages. And we had feijoada (Brazilian black beans with meat), rice, as well as hamburgers and hot dogs. I make a special blend of cuts for the hamburgers (15 lbs), and got the same hot dogs Pink's uses (about 10 lbs). I'm told everything came out awesome, but I don't know because I never had a chance to sample anything myself. I was cooking the whole time!

Here's a link (http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/Slappo1/First%20Brazilian%20BBQ/) to the photos (I'm not sure if I need a subscription to upload photos).

Anyway, I'm here to learn and if I can answer any questions about churrasco (that I know the answer to), I will! Thanks for letting me hang out!

frognot
09-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Welcome aboard Slappo!

frognot
09-26-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm told everything came out awesome, but I don't know because I never had a chance to sample anything myself. I was cooking the whole time!

In the future be sure to sample all meat before serving it to make sure it's done. Looks like you missed a great lookin' feast!

smoken don
09-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Welcome! Fine lookin cook. Thanks for the pics.

bluetang
09-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Welcome Slappo, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell. Great looking rig:thumb:

leanza
09-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome, fantastic pictures. The food looks amazing. Where did pit made? Is that salt, I see, on some of your meats?

Slappo
09-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I had some guys in San Bernardino make it. Fatboy's Hardcore BBQs. Was told about them by another serious BBQer and found them on Craigslist. They had never done a Brazilian style BBQ before, but I showed them some pics and went for a visit, and they pulled it off in a few days. They're young and just starting out, so there are some things that need to be corrected (which they're going to do), but otherwise, the BBQ is awesome. Good price too, and the best part is that there's no big shipping costs. They dropped it off themselves for a delivery fee.

Southern Brazilian style is just to salt the meat with a medium rock salt. You can get it at a Brazilian or Argentinian store. Mostly the salt just holds in the flavor, but it does impart a saltiness to the outside slices. I happen to like that, but most American's are more used to a sweet flavor in their BBQ. Inside, however, is just pure heaven. Also, they'll wrap chicken in bacon, or take other cuts of beef and slather them in garlic.

bbquzz
09-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Welcome Slappo from The Land of the Buckeye Nut. Looks like I have something to learn form you, great lookin' cook.

SmokinAussie
09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Welcome Slappo! With great food like that, I hope you stick around!

Cheers!

Bill

Neil
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Welcome aboard Slappo, enjoy what you learn and share what you know, it's what we do here.

Big George's BBQ
09-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome

Rookie'48
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Welcome to our crazy little club house! Nice lookin' set-up.

Midnight Smoke
09-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Hello and Welcome!