PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your stuff

moocow
09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Seeing another Trailer stolen this morning make my stomach upset. It got me thinking about how we protect our stuff and how others might do it. I worry all the time about getting my trailer stolen. I guess the best thing you can do is have insurance, which we do. You may recover your money but won't help if you have some contests coming up. I always have a ball lock on mine and then always try to have a car parked in front of it so there is no way to get it out. Would it be to much work to remove a tire from one side and put it on a jack stand? At least they would have to work a bit harder to get it. What do you guys think about having your logos on your trailer? I know several teams who don't want them on there so people will not know what is in there. We have them on ours because we like it but if it did get stolen it would be easy to identify in the short term before they got a chance to strip the stickers off. Even when they peel them off you can still see where the paint was faded. It would take a paint job to conceal it. Another thin I do is to weld my name into the frame of all my smokers and trailers. Anyway, just wondering what others do.

Scottie
09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
my experience is only with briskets.... I got a lock for my smoker.... :becky:

But seriously, I take as much effort as I can to make my equipment safer. but in the end. If someone really wants your stuff, they are going to get it. No matter how many safety features you put up...

rescue_ranger
09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
My solution is this I have 8 signs posted on my property to be aware of the German Sheppard’s each of my 4 kids have an electronic collar on them, the BBQ trailer is set inside the fence perimeter my house has a doggie door that leads into a chain link enclosure with a solenoid lock on the gate the gate is linked to a photo trigger in the driveway, you pass through the beam you unlock the gate. When I leave the house in the morning I turn the driveway trigger on at night they (the pups) can roam the property at will they are all trained ex military dogs 2 my youngest do SAR with me the older 2 just eat and poop and keep undesirables off the property 2 males and 2 females lightest on is 120 pounds I never lock my front door. I know this will not work for everyone but this works for me, last year I had a call from the sheriff and asked if I could come to the house and pen the dogs so they could arrest the two guys they had treed trying to hook my trailer up to their truck the only reason that I did not find them when I got home was the UPS truck made a delivery as they were putting it in the parcel box (I made a box that UPS, FedEx and such have a key for they can put large parcels in and lock back up) he heard them yelling to him to call the cops he (UPS driver) called the sheriff I took my time getting home :twisted:

rescue_ranger
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I was going to post photos of the kids but I don't have them on a Http:\\ site just the PC so let me figured this thecno thing out and I will get them up

Two Bears
09-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Thats funny right there ! Tree'd dudes.

Insurance is cheap for stuff like this so, lock the trailer up have insurance on it and hope for the best. The insurance should take care of the rest if needed.

BBQ Bandit
09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Seeing another Trailer stolen this morning make my stomach upset. It got me thinking about how we protect our stuff and how others might do it. I worry all the time about getting my trailer stolen. I guess the best thing you can do is have insurance, which we do. You may recover your money but won't help if you have some contests coming up. I always have a ball lock on mine and then always try to have a car parked in front of it so there is no way to get it out. Would it be to much work to remove a tire from one side and put it on a jack stand? At least they would have to work a bit harder to get it. What do you guys think about having your logos on your trailer? I know several teams who don't want them on there so people will not know what is in there. We have them on ours because we like it but if it did get stolen it would be easy to identify in the short term before they got a chance to strip the stickers off. Even when they peel them off you can still see where the paint was faded. It would take a paint job to conceal it. Another thin I do is to weld my name into the frame of all my smokers and trailers. Anyway, just wondering what others do.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=320&pictureid=2364
Its definitely worth the time....

goodsmokebbq
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Wheel locks!! Only about $100 bucks

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Rackem/RA-25.html

Rich Parker
09-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I am not to worried about my trailer being stolen from driveway but more when i stay at hotels.

The last time i stayed at a hotel i parked my trailer in the front by the lobby. It was a pain to manuever but i figured there would be more traffic there then any other spot. Probably wouldn't work for some of you with big trailers.

ique
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I left my Jambo pit on the street in NYC overnight. :crazy:

Safe part of town (west village), kept it hitched to my Jeep, locked the hitch and then boxed it in real tight with a car behind. No problems, was thinking it was pretty unlikely someone was going to have the tools and knowledge required to get that pit out.

This looks interesting:

http://www.lojack.com/construction/pages/construction-commercial.aspx

Scottie
09-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I left my Jambo pit on the street in NYC overnight. :crazy:

They were probably only looking for a Yoder.... Jambo... psfffftttt.... :becky:

Sugar-T
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Rescue Ranger, I like your solution. I hate to hear about people being stolen from. I agree with many others that these people should be slow cooked and fed to the zoo animals. but then agiain why make them sick.

Alexa RnQ
09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, there's one advantage to having it all locked up in the minivan. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

ZILLA
09-21-2010, 01:58 PM
My pit lives in the garage. I have a coupler lock if I leave the contest site. I do not put myself in the position of staying in a motel with my pit hooked to the truck. So far so good.

HB-BBQ
09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Locks only keep honest people out, crooks will always find a way. My brother is a cop and said that criminals are using cordless angle grinders with cutoff wheels to cut through coupler U-locks nowadays. I don't know what the answer is, I still use a U-lock and pin lock combo...

ZILLA
09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Honest people don't steal chit that's why we have the word honest.
magnitudes of determination. We have to do what we can to break that determination. They want low hanging fruit most of the time. Buy the best locks available to protect your assets. I would buy a 200.00 lock if I needed to, to slow down thieves trying to steal my BBQ rig.

This is the one I use on my BullDog Coupler

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4899/masterlock.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/i/masterlock.jpg/)

jbrink01
09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Locked in my shop or hooked to my truck.

VGuilford
09-21-2010, 02:48 PM
most of this stuff is made out of cast from what i saw and all u need is a good blow from a sledge and its off

GrillsGoneWild
09-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I have a ball lock and a coupler lock and I'm still looking at getting the wheel lock as posted on the 1st page. Figure that if they have to go through all those they might just move along to someone else or at least work their arse off trying to get it.

Here's the one that I'm looking at and it is $60. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&id=0066752020184a&rid=30&WT.tsrc=SEO&WT.mc_id=Google&WT.z_mc_id1=trailer%20wheel%20locking%20devices

DawgPhan
09-22-2010, 11:01 AM
You can buy gps tracking devices that are all self contained and have a magnet on the back. They use the cellphone system to send text messages based on any number of things. You just charge it up and then stick it on under the car trailer or something..or you can have them permanently installed and run off a battery that charges when you have power. set them to start tracking when the vehicle is over 5mph and send you a text message or email when it leaves a certain defined "geofence"

http://www.portmansecurity.com/gps-tracking-personal-and-fleet-vehicles.php

Probably the best bet for actually getting your stuff back. You get a text message or an email or even a call on your phone if the stuff moves and then you can tell the police exactly where it is.

Yakfishingfool
09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Paint info on the roof to id it if stolen. Thieves won't look up there and usually of side are painted roof may not be. S

Sawdustguy
09-22-2010, 01:40 PM
This is one reason why I usually stay at the site and send the rest of the team to the awards ceremony at a contest. I keep a watchful eye on our site and the other sites around us. I am not worried about other teams. I am however worried about the public, who are still around at awards time, walking into a site and helping themselves to anything they can get a hold of.

bmanMA
09-23-2010, 07:59 AM
This is one reason why I usually stay at the site and send the rest of the team to the awards ceremony at a contest. I keep a watchful eye on our site and the other sites around us. I am not worried about other teams. I am however worried about the public, who are still around at awards time, walking into a site and helping themselves to anything they can get a hold of.

Jeez, has anyone had this happen to them? (Other than the random confused civilian wandering into camp asking if the chicken's done while I'm busy filling my brisket box... bing!)

Alexa RnQ
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
We've usually either left someone at the site during awards, or locked up important stuff.

Scottie
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Jeez, has anyone had this happen to them? (Other than the random confused civilian wandering into camp asking if the chicken's done while I'm busy filling my brisket box... bing!)

I've come back from awards and someone was sitting on my cooler (hadn't thrown it into the RV yet.) and drinking one of my beers. Then he had the balls to ask if he could have another.. He'd pay me of course... I was going to cap him, but didn't...

ique
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM

We had someone come into our site and take our Jack "Goodie Bag" while we were busy doing turn-ins.

JD McGee
09-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I keep my stuff in the back yard with Jake The Destroyer...it`s amazing how many folks won`t mess with a 100 lb German Shepard.
I also never sell to Craigs List folks from my home...swamprb lost a UDS that way...

As far as on the road...I have a hitch lock for the trailer and keep it locked to the truck...but the truth is...if someone really wants your stuff...no lock is gonna stop them.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
locks and gates are for honest people. A real thief will get what he wants. The best way is to add as much protection to it as possible and make it very annoying to steal. Most thieves are that way because they are lazy and dont want to work for a living. Make it difficult and they will move onto the next one.

JiveTurkey
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
My trailer was broken into recently right in front of my house. Dirtbags sledgehammered the locks off, took a peek inside, saw a spicewine. They probably had no idea what it was and would take too long to unload so they moved on down the road and broke into two other trailers and took all of the stuff they had in there. I just keep it empty and insured.

I also wonder why people who ride harley's (I ride a shovel) stick big Harley stickers on the side of their trailers. They're just advertising what they have in there. You can't act real surprised when your chit get stolen. I always thought I would like to put a big logo on mine that says "Joe's Septic Service" and toss mud all over the side. If I was a thief i wouldn't touch it.

2Fat
09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I also wonder why people who ride harley's (I ride a shovel) stick big Harley stickers on the side of their trailers. They're just advertising what they have in there..

and they will paint those trailers orange/black too---guess they gotta look good behind the motorhome!
And my daily ride is an '85evo with about 150kmiles

thillin
09-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I really like this wheel lock.

http://carrythebigstick.com/

5-0 BBQ
09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I hate leaving my cooker anywhere. When I do I take off the tires and lock the hitch. Then for my safety I carry a Glock 27, 40 cal. with 13 rounds of Federal Hydra Shock.

Trucky1008
09-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I hate leaving my cooker anywhere. When I do I take off the tires and lock the hitch. Then for my safety I carry a Glock 27, 40 cal. with 13 rounds of Federal Hydra Shock.

I'm with you on that 5-0, but I prefer my Kahr 9 mm since it fits in my pocket real nice. My Glock 21 is just a tad too big!

Tack
09-24-2010, 02:55 AM
Had a camera bag stolen at our last comp. We had the camera on our rig taking pictures of our turn ins. After turn in went to put the camera back in the bag and it was gone. They got a 400 dollar lense but at least we still have the camera.

jbrink01
09-24-2010, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=JiveTurkey;1410481]
I also wonder why people who ride harley's (I ride a shovel) stick big Harley stickers on the side of their trailers. QUOTE]

I actually RIDE mine and don't put it in a trailer.....:rolleyes:

jbrink01
09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm with you on that 5-0, but I prefer my Kahr 9 mm since it fits in my pocket real nice. My Glock 21 is just a tad too big!

I dont mind big - Kimber .45 is my carry choice.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-24-2010, 07:42 AM
I like to keep a pissed off teammate locked inside....bad part is the smell that's left behind. :laugh:

5-0 BBQ
09-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Thank god for HR 218 Concealed Carry for Law Enforcement Officers :-D

Dr_KY
09-25-2010, 02:42 AM
http://www.automobile-theft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/wheel-clamp.jpg

Wheel clamp for the win!!

TN_BBQ
09-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Sounds like all of these things could help (locks, tire removal, fences, GPS, etc.) and as many of the others have stated...."the more difficult it is to steal, the less likely it will get stolen."

If it were me, I'd institute as many of these ideas as I could (and still carry insurance :-P (just make sure you have a good understanding of what your policy covers and doesn't cover).

42BBQ
09-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Thank god for HR 218 Concealed Carry for Law Enforcement Officers :-D

Amen Brother! I just carry my duty weapon, Glock 22, .40 caliber Federal Hydroshock 14 +1 with Trijicon sights.

5-0 BBQ
09-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Amen Brother! I just carry my duty weapon, Glock 22, .40 caliber Federal Hydroshock 14 +1 with Trijicon sights.

Where do you work brother?

drbbq
09-25-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to shoot a trailer thief from your hotel room window so no matter how big your gun is you're gonna need some other support.

Many of you know mine was stolen earlier this year from a hotel parking lot. They cut my lock and swung the tongue over, hooked and left. There was a big hunk of 4"x4" there, I assume they used that to jimmy it as the tongue is pretty heavy.

The cops didn't even want to come to the hotel until I told them I was calling the local TV station. Even then they didn't care. Stolen trailers don't usually come back.

But I got lucky and mine did come back in pretty good shape. I had good insurance so all is well.

So of course I started looking for better locks, GPS, alarms etc. There is one system that is all of the above with a solar panel to keep everything charged. but I can tell you nobody thought this was worth the time, trouble, or money. Not the cops, or the trailer shop guys, or the guy who would have made some money installing it. I think they've seen them all get stolen anyway.

I figured that mine was stolen because it looked like a motorcycle trailer and when they got it home they didn't know what to do with it. All I had on the sides were green flames to match my Suburban. So my solution was to identify it as a BBQ trailer with big lettering and a picture of myself. It looks a little loud but that's what I wanted. I bought good locks too but I don't have much faith in them.

I truly believe thiefs are looking for tools, lawn equipment, ATVs and bikes when they steal these trailers. And of course the trailer. But if they think it's a kitchen they may not steal it because they won't be able to use it or fast sell the stuff inside.

This wouldn't apply to a Jambo but I think it does to all the box trailers.

5-0 BBQ
09-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Dr BBQ brought up a good point and I say this with experience as a police office. If your trailer looks like it has motorcycles, lawn equipment, off road bikes ect... theives will target them. These types of items are stolen often and easy to sell, at least here in the Baltimore Area.

Also remember people with drug problems that like to steal to make a quick $50.00 will remove items from your rig. With prices of scrap metal being good I often worry about my 4 stainless sinks and aluminum trip.

FYI: The gun is so I dont get jacked in some of these great areas I go to.

Mister Bob
09-26-2010, 09:27 AM
This is available at Cabelas for $34.99 It might discourage the less determined thief. Almost nothing will stop a real pro.
Just like you know BBQ, they know thievery.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=5XRGZHJCUTGMZLAQBBISCOFMCAEFEI WE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null-cat420010&id=0031054017574a&navCount=0&podId=0031054&parentId=cat420010&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&rid=30&WT.tsrc=SEO&WT.mc_id=Google&WT.z_mc_id1=trailer%20hitch%20lock&hasJS=true&_requestid=24311
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/trailerlock.jpg

smokeshowin
09-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Ray, I see your point with your picture on the trailer. Why would anybody else want to be seen pulling that image around?

drbbq
09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Exactly! Everybody should put my pic on their trailer!

Is It Ready Yet?
09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
My smoker is my property. If you want a hole in your head...try and take it.

bbq lover
09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
we had are trailer looked at by some scum bags I say looked at because my alarm went off after he broke the door locks I woke up and we had a bit of a bad time I shot him in the leg and then beat the crap out of him bad time for him he was a 3 time looser and cops sent him away for life and got hit with firing a weapon in city limits and a fine in witch I will pay ever time a dirt bag wants to look at my bbq toys

5-0 BBQ
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
we had are trailer looked at by some scum bags I say looked at because my alarm went off after he broke the door locks I woke up and we had a bit of a bad time I shot him in the leg and then beat the crap out of him bad time for him he was a 3 time looser and cops sent him away for life and got hit with firing a weapon in city limits and a fine in witch I will pay ever time a dirt bag wants to look at my bbq toys

Good for you!