PDA

View Full Version : Dec trip to Ca Central Coast

ThomEmery
09-20-2010, 08:27 AM
I am planning a trip to the Ca Central Coast with my bride.
Any recommended B and Bs, Santa Maria Style BBQ houses
and attractions would be appreciated. Thanks

landarc
09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Thom, what do you mean Central Coast? Like Monterey or Santa Barbara?

ThomEmery
09-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I am thinking Tri Tip land :)
Really hoping to explore some
We have never spent time there

JiveTurkey
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Drive into Santa Maria and ask the local gas station guy where the bbq is. Santa Maria is a BBQ town and tri tip is the Mayor.

landarc
09-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Thom, it has been a few years, but, my understanding is that it has not changed much, Jocko's in Nipomo, about 15 minutes north of Santa Maria, is still an excellent steak house. It was worth the trip for me.

If you are there on a Saturday or Sunday, look for church groups offering BBQ as fundraisers. I have had some good tri-tip that way.

Chuckwagonbbqco
09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Thom
"Far Western Tavern" is in Guadalupe, CA--6 miles west of Santa Maria on Hwy 1.
"Far Western" is most well known old style "Santa Maria" grilling and famous for it's "Bull's Eye" Ribeye Steak.

"Hitching Post" in Casmalia, CA is southwest of Santa Maria on the back road to Lompoc is very very good

"Jockos" is on Thompson Ave in Nipomo, CA just north of Santa Maria. Jocko's gets very crowded on weekends. There is a small burger place called "Little Jocko's"--it is good for a burgerplace---but do not confuse it with Jocko's.

PM me and I can give you some contact people for local groups that cook all of the time---Nipomo Men's Club etc

big brother smoke
09-23-2010, 08:38 AM
I know you don't do the sippy thing, but I love Los Olivos grocery in wine country. They have excellent breakfast and always cook tip over the Santa Maria grill.

ThomEmery
09-23-2010, 02:59 PM
:) Sippy Naw not anymore
Thanks

Qcrue2U
09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey Thom,

I live in San Luis Obispo, bout 25 miles north of Santa Maria. There are plenty of tri tip houses, but most are not kickarse. They don't love their meat. I have come to the conclusion if you want something done right, do it yourself. Each time I have reccommended a restaurant, they fark it up. Crappy cooks that don't care about their customers. I had a bad experience eating at one of the so called BEST STEAK HOUSES, and they used moldy red oak. mmmmmm yummy!! Made me sick and I havent eaten S.M. style since then.

Chuckwagonbbqco - seems too know the off the path steak houses.

Moes, Alex's, McClintocks, A.J. Spurs - good but not representing!!! Moes and Alex's are outright crap, IMO...

Chuckwagonbbqco
09-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Moes, Alex's, McClintocks, A.J. Spurs - good but not representing!!! Moes and Alex's are outright crap, IMO...[/QUOTE]

Qcrue2u must have tried "Smokin' Mo's" Smokin' Mo's is a small chain and happen to have a place in Chico, CA also. Their menu boasts of many awards---but I do not know how they attained them. I have never seen a pressure cooker at a BBQ comp---and a pressure cooker is what is used at the Chico, CA location. The Smokin Moe's BBQ that I tried was outright crap. I agree with Qcrue2u.

Alex's of Pismo Beach I think is an upgrade from outright crap. They more or less specialize in ribs that are oak wood grilled. It may be a California thing --some think they are great, but I prefer my ribs low n slow.

I have never had a meal at AJ Spurs. McClintock's I always considered the "Tourists" place to go. The original location in Shell Beach is right on Hwy 101 and easy to find. McClintock's is famous for it's "Turkey Nuts" and now has more locations.

Pismo Beach is the tourist beach and Avila Beach is the "locals" hang out. I do not want to see any pictures of Thom that were taken at "Pirate's Cove" beach.

Big Brother Smoke mentioned the town of Los Olivos---there is a restaurant in Los Olivos called Mattei's Tavern that used to have awesome Oak pit BBQ. The restaurant now has 2 chefs that are brothers and I have heard very good food---but not BBQ. Friends of mine called it a "Hoitey Toitey" wine country "cheffy" place. Some folks love that---my friends didn't.

There are also great seafood places, Mexican food, and other exciting food adventures in the Central Coast area.

The "men's room" at the Madonna Inn is magnificent---but it is hard to get anything done in the men's room because it is always full of women that want to take pictures of the famous men's room. Check it out.