PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Palmerton PA, Oct 9, 2010 Rock'n Ribfest

dreed
09-17-2010, 07:41 AM
$2500.00 up for grabs to the GC, $5K total prize money.
Sat. Oct 9th Palmerton, PA Blue Mountain Ski Resort. Application posted below.
There are few Spots left, $100.00 entry fee.
Teams are welcomed in on friday night.

http://www.skibluemt.com/SkiBlue/SiteAssets/files/main/GrillingCompApplicationWaiver.2.pdf

http://www.skibluemt.com/SkiBlue/info/special-events/backyardgrilln.aspx

Born2Smoke
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Come on people.....this one is a no brainer. $2,500 for GC. $1,000 for RGC. $100 to enter. Really? Yeah Really.

Born2Smoke
09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing....that's Guaranteed Money put up by the kind people at Blue Mountain Ski Area.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-17-2010, 02:58 PM
I will be there for this one. Come on all you Long Island grilling guru's whats the matter no balls? All you cookbook chefs you have three weeks to make your outlines and recipes from martha stewart cooking. If you want to come in second place bring it. Nothing stopping me at this one!!!!!

pigmaker23
09-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm In I guess, my brother is in the car writing you an american express travelers check for the beer we drank, I also have to sign it, i will right back ,, seriously i will send out the app Monday, on my way to Harvard for the weekend :-P

Oh yeah, one more thing....that's Guaranteed Money put up by the kind people at Blue Mountain Ski Area.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-18-2010, 12:07 AM
I dont get why no one is all over this. Sounds like the cookbooks are retired for the year!

Chipper
09-18-2010, 06:25 AM
We will be there. And hope our chili does better than New Holland.

dreed
09-19-2010, 01:32 PM
we aren't competing, so that gives Matt even a better chance at winning

Jacked UP BBQ
09-20-2010, 08:34 AM
this is a great event. What a bunch of whimps!

Jacked UP BBQ
09-20-2010, 08:34 AM
I forgot to say I just ordered my kobe for this event.

Chipper
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I forgot to say I just ordered my kobe for this event.

A personal appearance by a perennial all star doesn't seem fair to the rest of us.

Born2Smoke
09-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Matt's a lot of things, but an All Star he is not......Ha Ha Ha Ha.

A personal appearance by a perennial all star doesn't seem fair to the rest of us.

Born2Smoke
09-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Here are the competitors thus far....Come on kids, get your apps in. We got two weeks to hit 20 teams and make this thing a great comp.

Easy Pickens BBQ
Hogs Gone Wild
Red Lion
Smoke My Meat
Jacked Up
Mr. Bobo's
Blind Pig
Christmas City BBQ

tmcmaster
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Here are the competitors thus far....Come on kids, get your apps in. We got two weeks to hit 20 teams and make this thing a great comp.

Easy Pickens BBQ
Hogs Gone Wild
Red Lion
Smoke My Meat
Jacked Up
Mr. Bobo's
Blind Pig
Christmas City BBQ

We pitted next to him in Shrewsbury... If Tommy's there, I am going to bust my hump to make sure I get there too!!!:thumb:

Printing out the app as I type this!

Born2Smoke
09-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Tommy is in....we received his check and he is a definite. Can we expect an application from you this week with a check for $100?? Sounds like you're going to get ready to bust your hump to make it out here. HaHaHA

We pitted next to him in Shrewsbury... If Tommy's there, I am going to bust my hump to make sure I get there too!!!:thumb:

Printing out the app as I type this!

tmcmaster
09-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Tommy is in....we received his check and he is a definite. Can we expect an application from you this week with a check for $100?? Sounds like you're going to get ready to bust your hump to make it out here. HaHaHA
That's a big 10-4!:thumb:

Born2Smoke
09-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Great....looking forward to seeing you

That's a big 10-4!:thumb:

tmcmaster
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Great....looking forward to seeing you

Just have to verify a kid sitter for the day.:doh:

Born2Smoke
09-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Bring the kids....it's part of the Rock The Fall Festival at the mountain. Plenty of fun for the entire family

Just have to verify a kid sitter for the day.:doh:

Born2Smoke
09-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Updated Teams: Halfway to 20

Easy Pickens BBQ
Hogs Gone Wild
Red Lion
Smoke My Meat
Jacked Up
What What BBQ
Mr. Bobo's
Blind Pig
Christmas City BBQ
Porter Mac's Rockin' BBQ
Q-Haven

$2500.00 up for grabs to the GC, $5K total prize money.
Sat. Oct 9th Palmerton, PA Blue Mountain Ski Resort. Application posted below.
There are few Spots left, $100.00 entry fee.
Teams are welcomed in on friday night.

http://www.skibluemt.com/SkiBlue/SiteAssets/files/main/GrillingCompApplicationWaiver.2.pdf

http://www.skibluemt.com/SkiBlue/info/special-events/backyardgrilln.aspx

tmcmaster
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Bring the kids....it's part of the Rock The Fall Festival at the mountain. Plenty of fun for the entire family

Bringing the 4 year old... the 2 year old... :doh:

Lakeside Smoker
09-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Wow! $100 entry fee for $5,000 in prize money! That's fantastic. I hope all the teams that always complain about high entry fees take advantage of this comp! It's exactly what you've been asking for.

Good luck with the event guys!

-Mike

Sledneck
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Wow! $100 entry fee for $5,000 in prize money! That's fantastic. I hope all the teams that always complain about high entry fees take advantage of this comp! It's exactly what you've been asking for.

Good luck with the event guys!

-Mike
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/rude/1/double-finger.gif (http://www.sherv.net/double.finger-emoticon-58.html):becky:

Lakeside Smoker
09-22-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/rude/1/double-finger.gif (http://www.sherv.net/double.finger-emoticon-58.html):becky:

Hahaha that was quick. :-D

Sledneck
09-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Hahaha that was quick. :-D

thought you would like that, if i win this saturday then i will do this one

butt head
09-22-2010, 06:10 PM
so your not going :boxing:

Sledneck
09-23-2010, 07:08 AM
so your not going :boxing:

exactly!:wink:

tmcmaster
09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
exactly!:wink:
I have faith in you Sled!!! So, I'll see you on the 9th!!!:thumb:

Born2Smoke
09-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok Mike,
So then your Application and check is in the mail?? :clap2:

Wow! $100 entry fee for $5,000 in prize money! That's fantastic.

-Mike

Lakeside Smoker
09-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok Mike,
So then your Application and check is in the mail?? :clap2:

Looks like fun, but I'll be here (http://ique2.blogspot.com/2010/08/ique-class.html) that weekend...

Meat@Slim's
09-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Looks like fun, but I'll be here (http://ique2.blogspot.com/2010/08/ique-class.html) that weekend...

A hush falls over the crowd.:icon_bugeyed

Meat@Slim's
09-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Where did you get this Sled? The emoticon store adult section?:butt:

tmcmaster
09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Where did you get this Sled? The emoticon store adult section?:butt:
Try here --> http://www.sherv.net/double.finger-emoticon-58.html

dreed
09-26-2010, 03:22 PM
See ya in a couple of weeks

Born2Smoke
09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Uuuuummmmm Oooookkkk Sledneck....Eh Hem!! Do you need the application or do you have a copy. The address to send your check is on the App. See you on Oct 9 big guy....:thumb:

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Maybe I should go if Sled is competing. Would be nice to beat the winner of a grilling invitational.

Chipper
09-27-2010, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=SmokeInDaEye;1414209]Maybe I should go if Sled is competing. Would be nice to beat the winner of a grilling invitational.[/QUOTE

Yes you should, and might I suggest you get a spot real close to the judging area.

Too soon?

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=SmokeInDaEye;1414209]Maybe I should go if Sled is competing. Would be nice to beat the winner of a grilling invitational.[/QUOTE

Yes you should, and might I suggest you get a spot real close to the judging area.

Too soon?

Nah, I got my ribs in on time time yesterday and got a call. I could come and make my third place chili from New Holland again.:-D

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
By the way, I need a day or two before I can raise the idea of another contest with my wife but is there more info on the contest such as turn-in times?

Chipper
09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
By the way, I need a day or two before I can raise the idea of another contest with my wife but is there more info on the contest such as turn-in times?

I believe more info will be posted early this week. And I'm sure Dreed would be happy to send you the preliminary info.

dreed
09-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Nothing says Happy Anniversary, like a grilling comp
More info coming soon

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2010, 07:39 AM
OK, keep me posted. I dropped the idea last night and looked at some hotels.

dreed
09-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Check out Mooney's for lodging, small place off the beaten path very clean and reasonable. Larger hotels may be booked solid.

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
OK, I'm coming. Looks like I'll bring the family and am booking a room nearby for Friday night then may stay Saturday as well so we're not rushed getting home. The 5 hour trip home from Seaside Heights Sunday night was too much.

Let me know when ya'll know turn-in times, garnish rules, box rules and anything else worthwhile. Chili doesn't count towards GC does it?

dreed
09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Chili, doesn't counttowards the GC, and the cooks packet will be going out this evening.

We will be hanging out all weekend as well.
Feel free to bring your equipment over to the mountain on friday night.

Dana
OK, I'm coming. Looks like I'll bring the family and am booking a room nearby for Friday night then may stay Saturday as well so we're not rushed getting home. The 5 hour trip home from Seaside Heights Sunday night was too much.

Let me know when ya'll know turn-in times, garnish rules, box rules and anything else worthwhile. Chili doesn't count towards GC does it?

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Should I pick up Sledneck on my way?

Sledneck
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Should I pick up Sledneck on my way?

you got room for my stuff in that trailer? one of the issues im having is that i am getting rid of the van

Born2Smoke
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok…things have really stirred up in the past 2 days. Here is an updated list of teams that we have so far. Teams with a * are ones that have not sent in an Application, $100 entry fee or both. We are really pushing for 20 teams here and we have a week to do so. Come on Ya’ll, get those apps in…..

Easy Pickens BBQ
Hogs Gone Wild
Red Lion
Smoke My Meat
Jacked Up
Mr. Bobo's *
Blind Pig
Christmas City BBQ *
What What BBQ
Porter Mac's Rockin' BBQ
Q-Haven *
One Eye Bandit
Foo Que
Hog Feathers
Smoke In Da Eye *
R2 BQ *

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2010, 02:36 PM
you got room for my stuff in that trailer? one of the issues im having is that i am getting rid of the van

I should. Will probably take some of the cookers out. The biggest problem though is that you'd be in the car with the three kids for the whole ride and it can get hairy. I'm hoping to leave around 3ish on Friday.

Now I got to see if WATG George can bring me his lucky chili pot to borrow.

Sledneck
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I should. Will probably take some of the cookers out. The biggest problem though is that you'd be in the car with the three kids for the whole ride and it can get hairy. I'm hoping to leave around 3ish on Friday.

Now I got to see if WATG George can bring me his lucky chili pot to borrow.

which george is coming?

Jacked UP BBQ
09-28-2010, 02:48 PM
LI boys that is a long ride to get your arse kicked.

Born2Smoke
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Clint,
Here is a peak at some of the rules and turn in times....

EVENT SCHEDULE

6:00 AM: Gates open and meat inspection begins
7:00 AM: Cook’s breakfast of bagels, cream cheese, coffee, tea, etc.
8:00 AM: Cook’s meeting in the Adventure Center. A rep from each team must be present.
9:00 AM: All vehicles must be removed from the contest site.
11:00 AM: Judge’s meeting in the Adventure Center.
12:00 PM: People’s Choice Chili Smack-down contest opens (Chili contest is optional.)
1:00 PM: Steak Turn-in
1:30 PM: Pork Ribs turn-in
2:00 PM: Chef’s Choice turn-in
3:00 PM: People’s Choice Chili Smack-down contest voting ends.
5:00 PM: Award Ceremony

Blue Mountain Rockn’ Ribfest Categories:

1. Beef Steak: Beef Steak is defined as any cut of beef from that is considered part of the bovine family. Garnish is open. Anything goes, as long as it is edible. Stuffing or wrapping are not aloud. This category is to be judged on the quality, texture, taste and cooking of the meat itself.

2. Pork Ribs: Ribs are defined as; Baby back ribs (a.k.a. back ribs, a.k.a. baby backs, a.k.a. loin back ribs, a.k.a. loin ribs, a.k.a. Canadian back ribs)or Spare Ribs.
6 separate and identifiable pieces must be submitted to the judges. Rib meat must be submitted on the bone.

GARNISH – Parsley or Green Leaf Lettuce is the only garnish aloud. We will follow KCBS Garnish Rules NO STUFFING allowed in this category. Entry may not be wrapped with another item, (i.e. meat or pastry dough). Sauces, if used, shall be on the entry. No sauce containers are allowed. Chunks in any sauce must be finely diced ‘finely diced’ is defined as less than 1/8 inch in size. Additional edible products, of any kind, in the sauce are OK as long as these products are finely diced. Additional inedible objects are NOT allowed in the entry box.

3. Chef’s Choice: Item presented must not qualify in any of the preceding categories. 6 separate and identifiable pieces must be submitted to the judges. Any platter or plate is aloud. You do not have to submit the category in a 9x9 styro box. Chef’s choice does not have to be a meat, seafood or poultry item. Vegetables and fruits are allowed in this category. Desserts are aloud.

COMPLETELY OPEN GARNISH - Anything goes, as long as it is edible. Garnish is also optional.

Chefs have the option to use stuffing. See stuffing definitions below.

Entry MAY be wrapped with another item, (i.e. meat or pastry dough). Bacon, Prosciutto, Speck, Pancetta or Jamon may be used in the wrapping.
Sauce may be pooled and/or puddle in the container. Chunky sauce will be allowed with no restrictions on the size of the chunks. Edible sauce containers will be allowed: i.e. a bread bowl. Inedible objects are NOT allowed in the entry box.

Note: Remember that creativity of the chef will be a major judging category in this category. We want this category to be a showcase for the chef to shine and show us what they got.

Prize Category Breakdown

$5,000 Total Prize Pool

Grand Champion $2,500

Reserve Champion $1,000

3rd place $300

1st place in each category $200

2nd place in each category $100

3rd place in each category $50

4th place in each category $25

5th place in each category $25

1st place Chili $100

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2010, 03:02 PM

That's what the boys in Talladega are saying about you too.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-28-2010, 03:28 PM
That's what the boys in Talladega are saying about you too.

I actually already beat all there arse's

Sledneck
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
possible, but not by you

SmokeInDaEye
09-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Just dropped my check in the mail. I know we can drop our stuff off Friday but is it ok to stay onsite? I may want to leave the car with my wife at the hotel so she and the kids can come over later versus getting up at 6am.

Born2Smoke
09-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Just dropped my check in the mail. I know we can drop our stuff off Friday but is it ok to stay onsite? I may want to leave the car with my wife at the hotel so she and the kids can come over later versus getting up at 6am.

Hey Clint,
You absolutely can stay on-site Friday Night. The Mountain is providing free camping and firewood for all the teams that want to camp out….Dana and I will be there with the wives most of the night as well tilting a few back.

Thanks for coming out...it's gonna be a great time.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-29-2010, 11:18 AM
^^^^^^^^^gay^^^^^^^^^

Born2Smoke
09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
^^^^^^^^^gay^^^^^^^^^

Are you finally coming out of the closet man?? It's about time. Sheesh!!:boxing:

Warthog
09-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Going to be judging this one. Not sure how many of the judges will be KCBS certified. I'm guessing there will be some of us certified.

Born2Smoke
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Going to be judging this one. Not sure how many of the judges will be KCBS certified. I'm guessing there will be some of us certified.

I beleive we have 6 CBJ's including yourself.

SmokeInDaEye
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Are you finally coming out of the closet man?? It's about time. Sheesh!!:boxing:

The fact that his avatar features Sledneck's son is a little odd.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I guess we have to do this now. Slednecks stepson, my natural son~!

Sledneck
09-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I guess we have to do this now. Slednecks stepson, my natural son~!

No way, hes way to good looking to be your son. :becky:

Chipper
10-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Are we going to be on grass or Pavement?
We plan to get up there by 6 and set up and come back at 6 to get going. I assume that's acceptable?

dreed
10-03-2010, 08:54 PM
No problem, it will be on pavement. If that changes I will be sure to let you know.
Are we going to be on grass or Pavement?
We plan to get up there by 6 and set up and come back at 6 to get going. I assume that's acceptable?

SmokeInDaEye
10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Looking forward to seeing everyone and the weather looks great. Should be there around 7 tonight.

Warthog
10-09-2010, 05:36 PM
It was a very nice event. Had a great time meeting everyone. Had to leave before the calls. Good luck to all.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-09-2010, 06:39 PM
We want results!!! how did it go?

Tack
10-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Yea whats up with the results????

dreed
10-09-2010, 08:38 PM
GC to Christmas City BBQ
RGC What What BBQ
3rd Jacked Up BBQ

More to come, Marc has the remainder of the names for each category.

Thanks everyone for coming out this weekend, great time meeting everyone and a big thanks to Ed and his wife Beth for Judging.

SmokeInDaEye
10-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I think I was DAL overall. Still can't figure out what I did wrong (like messing up a 14 pound dry aged ribeye???) but I had a BLAST with Blind Pig overnight and our unsuccessful bus tub sledding adventure. Thanks so much Mark and Dana for running the show to perfection.

Can't wait til next year when I bring more blankets.

Chipper
10-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I think I was DAL overall. Still can't figure out what I did wrong (like messing up a 14 pound dry aged ribeye???) but I had a BLAST with Blind Pig overnight and our unsuccessful bus tub sledding adventure. Thanks so much Mark and Dana for running the show to perfection.

Can't wait til next year when I bring more blankets.

Ditto on a job well done. I was third from last, and confused a bit as well and looking forward to seeing the complete results.

SmokeInDaEye
10-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Chip, it was great having you as a neighbor. Just ate one of your pickles and a garlic clove and they are awesome!

Here's a video of the unsuccessful sledding adventure... http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/?action=view&current=sled.mp4

Jacked UP BBQ
10-10-2010, 04:24 PM
It was a great event, anyone who didnt go that had a chance missed a good one. Ribs will be the death of me one day!

Chipper
10-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Chip, it was great having you as a neighbor. Just ate one of your pickles and a garlic clove and they are awesome!

Here's a video of the unsuccessful sledding adventure... http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/?action=view&current=sled.mp4

Clint- same to you and thanks for the positive review on the products. I guess we won't see you till next year, so enjoy the off-season and we will see you in the spring.
I thought I was watching an episode of Jack A#@ for a second.

SmokeInDaEye
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Clint- same to you and thanks for the positive review on the products. I guess we won't see you till next year, so enjoy the off-season and we will see you in the spring.
I thought I was watching an episode of Jack A#@ for a second.

Yep, it was probably a good thing that the grass was too long to actually get going but we were trying to keep entertained out on that cold mountain.