View Full Version : BBQ Brethren "Breakfast Sandwich" Throwdown

09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Our new category is...

"Breakfast Sandwich"
Photo from poeticfood.blogspot (http://poeticfood.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html).

...as chosen by BigButzBBQ, the winner of the Bacon Throwdown (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92318)!

The entry must feature a breakfast sandwich with primary elements cooked over livefire:becky:

Click here to read the rules (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82799) for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/17 through Sunday 9/26.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 9/26.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82799).

The voting will begin Monday 9/27 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 10/1. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Legs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92088) Throwdown until Sunday night 9/19 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Satay Throwdown (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92280)!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
This should be a great theme. Don't forget to use livefire in creating your entry!

I am backpacking until Monday so I posted this early but as usual the throwdown officially starts Friday.

09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Now we're cookin with fire.. good choice BigbutzBbq..

Sleepy Smoker
09-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Woo hoo!

Urge to grill rising... RISING!

Great choice.

09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Great choice:thumb:

09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh my. This is a good category.

Alan in Ga
09-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Picked a good week to rejoin the throwdowns

09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I know this is one of my favorite things to make, glad everyone else like the idea as well.

09-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Heh Heh... ANOTHER Sammich TD for me to have a go at!

KnucklHed BBQ
09-16-2010, 10:10 AM
nice! diggin this one! :thumb:

Big George's BBQ
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
This is going to be a great throwdown. Great choice

Smokey Al Gold
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Can't go wrong with breakfast

09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Can't go wrong with breakfast

Oh, I think Phubar might have a little disagreement with you on that. :becky:

09-17-2010, 01:47 PM
This one is gonna be real interesting.

(as are they all.)

09-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Amazing idea. A new area of experimentation....

Chef Jim
09-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Great idea, I was going to pick some kind of a breakfast theme if I had ever won a TD. :becky:

Guess I'll just keep collecting zero's! :laugh::laugh:

09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
OK... I'll start this off. The first guy usually doesn't stand a chance, but here goes...

First, the part cooked over live fire...

A couple of beautiful, naked fatties cooked in Eggbert (Large BGE)...

With one of those I created this...

Use this picture for the throwdown (unless i change my mind :-D)

Fatty Benedict Sandwich!

A toasted English muffin topped with a couple of slices of fatty, a poached egg, hollandaise sauce and a couple of slices of bacon. Served with crispy hashed browns with Hollandaise on top.

here are a couple of more pictures...

09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
That looks amazing Ron - way to set the bar high from entry uno. I could hit that 24-7. I've never had hollandaise on a smoked fatty but I've got to try it.

09-20-2010, 11:42 PM

09-21-2010, 12:10 AM
That's it... I'm out!

09-21-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm VERY hungry!!! Great looking! Bet it tasted even better!

09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Outstanding Ron!

09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey RonL - that looks amazing as well. Hollandaise sauce on about anything breakfast related sounds good!
Thinking Saturday morning has a Hollandaise theme comin' at it.

Smokey Al Gold
09-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Ron L that is the perfect breakfast sandwich. Naked fatties are my favorite......

KnucklHed BBQ
09-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Dang Ronnell! I'm thinkin you've ruined it for everyone else now... You'll be the only entry this week! :becky:

09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm VERY hungry!!! Great looking! Bet it tasted even better!

It did taste great :-D The combination of Hollandaise and the fatty was interesting. It was almost a cross between Eggs Benedict and biscuits and gravy. I would definitely do it again.

09-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Hey Ronelle! Did you not post a cook thread for that? I've never made a Hollandaise and the color of that one is beautiful (Second pic of the sammie being the most accurate?). I can only imagine the taste.

Alan in Ga
09-22-2010, 04:34 PM
WOW Ron that looks amazing and gonna be hard to beat but we gonna try..

09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey Ronelle! Did you not post a cook thread for that? I've never made a Hollandaise and the color of that one is beautiful (Second pic of the sammie being the most accurate?). I can only imagine the taste.

I didn't, mainly because I didn't take any more pictures.

Yes, the middle pic is the most accurate. I should adjust the others. Sorry.

The Hollandaise is out of a cookbook that came with a blender/food processor that I bought years ago. It is very simple...

3 Egg Yolks
2 T Lemon Juice
1 Dash Hot Sauce ( I like Sriracha)
1/4 t Salt
1/2 cup butter.

Put the egg yolks, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt in a blender and give them a quick spin to mix. Melt the butter until it is bubbly. Put the blender on blend speed (that's what it is called on mine. It's the fourth step up from off) and slowly pour the hot butter into the blender jar. Once the butter is in let it blend for about 30 seconds.

That's it. Maybe not a classic Hollandaise preparation, but it is very good.

09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
For once I may have too many ideas. :confused:

09-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Stand By Brethren... there's been a development... I have an entry... all you hungry people... line up....:cool:

09-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Stand By Brethren... there's been a development... I have an entry... all you hungry people... line up....:cool:

IS IT DONE YET..... :heh:

09-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Is it baloney:confused:

09-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Now is it done?

09-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Now is it done?

Yep it's done....

09-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Well, firstly I need to say I'm SMASHED!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Secondly... I have to say I had a farkin great day!:cool::cool:

Today, we had our AFL Grand Final. AND IT WAS A DRAW.... This has not happened since 1977! What it means is that the 2 teams get to play off again next week!

Can you imagine, a Superbowl, 2 WEEKS IN A ROW!!!!:shock::shock::shock:

Yes... 100,016 people at the game, and you can imagine the sh!tfight for tickets this week!:boxing::boxing::boxing:.

So, today, I prepared a Grand Final Breakfast Sammich!

Firstly, you might remember I had a Buckboard Bacon in the makin' I smoked that last night.

Then, with the bacon and all the ingredients you are to see next, I went over to Andy's place next door for a nice grilling Q and to watch the game!

Here's some nice grillin'. You will notice the my home made boerewars sausage on the grill!

Then we put on some CHUCK steaks that were dusted with Zachs Brisket rub (which was all I had on hand, but there were no complaints...)

We had a few things goin'. I had a little CI pan on the side with some onions...

Then I added some of that Bacon, and we opened up the sausage just to get it cooked through. Actually, in my opinion, it was overcooked, but I was not the boss of the grill here, and we were cooking for a lot of women scared of blood.... Meh... It happens...

Looking GOOD!

Toasted some Turkish Bread and added some fresh Eggs from Mum and Dads Little farm... (more of that in another thread)

Chow time...

Sammich Assembly...Some Chuck Steak on Toasted Turkish Bread, with my home made Sausage on top..

Then on the other side of the OPEN Sammich, the Buck Board Bacon and eggs, dressed with a nice tomato sauce... this is a regular thing here... and in the US too I'm sure!

Then I went back outside to watch the footy!
Please use this as my TD Pic Please Rob!

And we watched the footy in leisure... Aussie Style...

AND WE GET TO DO IT ALL AGAIN NEXT WEEK! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Cheers and THANKS for looking Brothers!

PS... Here's RUSH the DOG. He's a Staffie... man was HE A HUNGRY DAWG BEGGIN FOR SOME TUCKER!

09-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Wow, nice spread.. like the pooch too..:thumb:

09-25-2010, 08:29 AM
That is absolutely awesome Bill! Way to bring it!

09-25-2010, 08:30 AM
That is one good looking sandwich, and that's no baloney!:thumb: That whole spread there looking is fine as well. AND you all get to do it all over again next week:clap2::clap2::-D.

09-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Now THAT's a sandwich, Bill! Did you eat that by yourself or did Rush get some?

09-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Now THAT's a sandwich, Bill! Did you eat that by yourself or did Rush get some?

Yeah.. Rush got his share! I could not eat it all... but I did keep drinking!:thumb:

09-25-2010, 10:04 PM
well worth the wait bill!!

Old Smoke
09-25-2010, 10:34 PM

2 great looking sammies, so far.

Good work guys....

Chef Jim
09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Bill, good lookin stuff, but, can you pick that up and eat it? Like a sandwich! I really want to see that.

I picked up some stuff to put in an entry but Sharon (BHSLH) has had other plans for me. So if I'm not around as much please send out the search party.

She has me redoin the master bath room. I gutted it this week and now she expects me to put it back together. :crazy:

Any way, I think I can use the goodies for another topic if I can find the time.

Good luck to all. :clap2:

Smiter Q
09-26-2010, 01:06 AM
That sure beats IHOP!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

KnucklHed BBQ
09-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Great lookin sammy there Bill!

I coulda devoured the sausage and onions by themselves! :thumb:

09-26-2010, 09:51 AM
For this TD, I went with a stacked loaf breakfast sandwich. First, I smoked a cured ham on the UDS. This morning I scrambled eggs and bacon on the gasserrr, hollowed out the sourdough loaf and filled it with the twice smoked ham, cheddar and quesadilla cheeses, eggs n' bacon, and more ham and more cheese. Then into the UDS for a half hour to heat it all up and melt the cheeses. Thank you for looking.

My TD Entry Thanks for looking

09-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Aussie, you and your freinds know how to .........PARRRRRRRRTTTTTYYYYYYY. That is one over the top, arse kickin', butt stompin', artery stoppin', sammie. I bet it soaked up alot of the booze. :shocked:

09-26-2010, 03:57 PM
When racking my brain for the recent throwdown topic, the main thing that I kept getting hung up on was the "bread" component. I couldn't think of anything new to do until I started thinking about all the different ways to make a sandwich. Then somehow, the Double Down sandwich from KFC came across my mind. That's when I decided to make the breakfast version of this sandwich.
I give you The Breakfast Double Down!

Here is the ingredients line up.
We seasoned up some of the bacon and got it ready for some indirect cooking.
The sausage was then formed into patties and seasoned up as well.
Then it was onto the OTG to do some indirect cooking with a splash of peach wood for flavor.
We gave it all a flip after bout half an hour.
Then it was time for the eggs! So out came the cast iron to fry up a couple in some bacon grease directly over the coals.
Time for assembly, sausage patty, cheese, egg, 2 slices of bacon, another egg, another slice of cheese, and the second sausage patty!
Ohhhhh yeahhhhh....
Here she is in all her sandwichy goodness! (TD PIC!)

Thanks for looking!:thumb:
(P.S.- No, I don't own stock in Lipitor. :laugh: )

09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
That really does look good!

Sleepy Smoker
09-26-2010, 04:28 PM
I couldn't resist entering this TD considering it involves what could be my favorite meal of the day, breakfast. A biscuit seemed like the obvious choice to use in the construction of my sandwich. I didn't feel right using anything from a can, and since I'd been wanting to try making my own biscuits from scratch for quite a while, this presented the perfect opportunity to give it a go. I read a few recipes online, gathered the ingredients, and set out to create my ultimate breakfast sandwich.

I began my mixing in baking soda, baking powder, salt, shortening, butter, and eventually buttermilk into my flour. After turning it out onto a floured board and working it a bit, I was ready to cut the biscuits out.

A regular two-inch cutter seemed too small for my "ultimate sandwich" so I searched the pantry, found a larger can, and used it to punch out my dough. After spending 17 minutes in a 450 degree oven they were finished, looking might pretty, except for the few oddballs that were left over from the extra bits of dough.

Before heading outside to begin working on the rest of the meal I "supervised" as a batch of sausage gravy was whipped up.

I fired up the grill, tossed on a few pieces of ham that I had lightly smoked last night (ever so lightly as I was cooking for people who "hate the taste of smoke" :rolleyes:) and loaded up a cast iron skillet with potatoes.

The ham didn't take long, but the potatoes sure did. At least the long cook gave me a chance to fry up some bacon and use a spare cast iron skillet to cook up some eggs with diced green peppers.

Eventually, after what felt like hours, the potatoes finished and it was time to plate up.

My breakfast sandwich began with a layer of ham, cheddar cheese, egg w/ green peppers, peppered bacon, and finally a helping of sausage gravy.

Yes, a few pigs were hurt in the construction of my breakfast. I finished off the plate with a serving of fruit and some of the potatoes (with more gravy of course).

09-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Can't go wrong with scratch biscuits and sausage gravy. That be looking fine. Say taters pita? Still, yum.

09-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Just finished my second drum so that the Mrs. and I can try our luck at some local backyard comps in the future. So Today we fired them both up and did 2 racks of spares, a brisket, a fatty, and some bacon wrapped chicken breast. :thumb:

(Far left drum is for a buddy of mine, he seasoned it today with two racks of spares)

Prepped the brisket last night and put it in the fridge overnight. Just Bovine Bold rub, nothing else.

7:05 am, tossed in the old drum at 240.

Added a fatty for lunch.

12:30, separated the point and flat, foiled the flat and cubbed the point. Both went back in the drum, the flat was at 165. At 2:30 probe went in like butter and it was at 205. Rested and then sliced.

This was my first attempt at a packer. All and all is was great. Burnt ends are the best thing ever!

Tossed some English muffins on the drum while the flat rested. Then placed on slice cut in half on each muffin with a light spread of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and brown sugar. Man I could eat this every day!

Thanks for taking a look!!! It was yummy!! :thumb:

09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I just can't make a sandwich without good bread. And this weekend good bread was a little hard to come by so I did something a little different and made a pocket sandwich. Instead of traditional dough, though, I used puffed pastry. I kept it simple and just used scrambled eggs, cheese and roasted red peppers. I cooked these on the pizza stone in my Primo Oval:

After about 25 minutes at 400*, they turned a beautiful golden brown:

The result is a flaky crust:

I served these up with a glass of mango juice and salsa.

Thanks for looking.

09-26-2010, 09:14 PM
ecode-thinking outside the box, again! very nice!!

09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh my goodness:thumb:

Sleepy Smoker
09-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Getting hungry from the last few entries (and the previous pages as well). Way to go guys.