PDA

View Full Version : Help? Boston Butt and Brisket

bigred
09-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm doing my first big cook this weekend. End of summer Bash for my church. Im cooking 30 lbs each of brisket and boston for about 100 people. I know the brisket, but the butt Im a little worried about. We are going to shred it, So how long do I cook it at per pound? I appreciate the help. If there are any of you brethren in the vicinity of Noblesville, IN let me know and Ill give you the address.

HBMTN
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Depending on the size of the butts and temperature you are cooking but you can figure and 8lb butt to be around 11-12 hours @ 225 degrees

BbqJohn
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm with HBMTN......

bigred
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I thank you. I've been toying in the back yard with a few things. Ribs and brisket....I'm good. Shoulder....not so much. Especially not with this much. I had to add a second grate into the smoker just to be able to accommodate this much meat.

FltEng
09-11-2010, 12:48 PM
These days I'm more concerned with internal temperature; the reason is that if I need to cook them quicker I can jack up the heat of the smoker and get almost the same results as letting them go for 12-16 hours. Keep in mind if your going to pull the butts you are looking for 195-205 degrees internal temp (same for the brisket). Also I highly recommend wrapping your butts and brisket in foil and let rest in a dry cooler for at least an hour. Just my 2 cents.