PDA

View Full Version : Box Rating

Porky Joes
09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
This is my first attempt at the box. I do not have the ribs in it yet but please give me some feedback. Thanks

Mister Bob
09-05-2010, 08:26 PM
IMHO, it looks rough. Empty on the lower left, uneven along the edges and generally too loose. Nice healthy parsley and a good dark green color though. Add some more parsley and be careful that everthing is tight and neat especially around the edges. Make everything look like that upper left corner.

CBQ
09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Just think of the nickname for a parsley box - the "putting green".

To get that even look, try cutting down the stems to make them fit. I can't tell what's going on under there, but the box leaves the impression that you tried to work around stems of different lengths to fit it in.

Boshizzle
09-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Here is my 1st box ever. Notice the stems? It sucks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=325&pictureid=2743

This is my second box ever. No stems and, overall, an improvement over the 1st box. However, it's not "tight." Stems, while not sticking up, are too long.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=2748
I'll be doing four boxes tommorrow that I hope to improve over these two.

The advice from the brethren above is good. Thanks, brethren.

Porky Joes
09-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Itrimmed the pieces where the branches began so there were a little bit of stems in there. Im practicing before my first competition in two weeks so this feedback is great.

Thanks to everyone who has posted and hopefully will post.

Crash
09-05-2010, 11:18 PM
It's only a picture....but, check out the top left corner. That, to me, looks like the best part of the box. Try to duplicate that throughout the entire box.

Also, you want enough greens in the box to make the meat "float". If the meat is sinking in to the greens, there isnt enough greenery in the box IMHO.

Some cooks overlook the appearance score. When you see 1st place separated from 2nd place (in a category) by 2/1000ths of a point, it will make you rethink how important appearance really is.

Keep practicing, looks like a great start.

Crash
09-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Oh yeah, post a picture of your box with meat in it for us to critique.

QansasjayhawQ
09-05-2010, 11:28 PM
On the other hand, most judges aren't looking for if you have stems showing or not - it's the overall effect of 'WOW! I want to eat that!' THAT is what you are shooting for. Most judges don't have enough time to get out their measuring tapes and straight edges to see if you trimmed your greenery to within a few hundreths of an inch - just make sure the meat looks delicious.
Think shiny . . . and think abundance.

QansasjayhawQ
09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=2748

I'd have to DQ this one . . . and hope that I am sitting at the end of the table of six judges that gets the four samples. :-)
But - Wow! That meat looks delicious!

Boshizzle
09-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks, bro! There are 8 ribs in the box. :wink:

Ford
09-06-2010, 05:40 AM
I'd have to DQ this one . . . and hope that I am sitting at the end of the table of six judges that gets the four samples. :-)
No DQ during appearance for less than 6 pieces. Only when passed and only by the Rep.

And there are 8 pieces.

Porky Joes
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Here is my finished box it was after midnight but I got it done. I am still learning to use the smoker grill. It is not floating style but again this is my first attempt. I have four pieces in there but in the competition I am entering there will be three judges.

I appreciate any feedback.

thillin
09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
My .02 - I wouldn't seperate the ribs, and I'd at least put in 5 or 6. Looks better to fill up the box a bit. Leaves less parsley to be seen as well. Cook 2-3 racks of ribs, slice them all and then pick the ribs for the box.

Porky Joes
09-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Do many people use lettuce in the box as well? Where is a good part to cut the parsley since stems aren't recommended.

Chenernator
09-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Do many people use lettuce in the box as well? Where is a good part to cut the parsley since stems aren't recommended.

I've seen many people use the cheaper lettuce as the foundation and then build the putting green on top of that.

Smokedelic
09-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Hope you look a little closer when you judge.:wink:

NRA4Life
09-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Hope you look a little closer when you judge.:wink:

I was thinking the same thing.

PorkQPine
09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
As a CBJ I am not too concerned with the greens, (they are not scored but do help make the meat look better) but I would score down the chicken. Attention to detail on the meat will go farther than worring about the stems.

Meat Burner
09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe it's just me but it looks like a garnish box and not a meat box. The garnish way overpowers the intent of presenting the meat to stand out. The meat looks buried in the garnish and not standing on top to see it. Just another opinion bros.

Porky Joes
09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
So a tenderloin recipie I have says to put the dipping sauce on the side in a ramekin when it is served. What is the best way to set that up in the presentation box or does anyone do this?

daedalus
09-09-2010, 05:07 AM
So a tenderloin recipie I have says to put the dipping sauce on the side in a ramekin when it is served. What is the best way to set that up in the presentation box or does anyone do this?
Well, if you are going by KCBS rules, you cannot have "pooled sauce" in the box, which means you cannot include a side of sauce at all.

Porky Joes
09-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Thank you, I wasn't aware of that.

Smokenstein & monster crew
09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Garnish is to enhance the meat, not take over.....
Its not a salad contest.....practice practice & ask questions
good luck to you