TX I Fish Too
VA The BBQ Guru
WA Smoke A Fat One BBQ
WI Freeman Brothers BBQ

WILD CARD Smoke on Wheels

HOME STATE REP Meat @ Slims

pfreeman198
09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Slednek, not trying to question your information but are you 100% sure. The reason i ask is that I am half od Freeman Brothers BBQ and i hope to god these are correct.

Pete

Sledneck
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
They are correct, I swear

Black Cat BBQ
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM

SERIOUSLY??? :clap2::clap2::clap2: OMG.

Meat@Slim's
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM
How are we home state rep?

Jeff Selle
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
This so rocks they honored Slap yo' Daddy's seven GCs ... dgassaways, Smoking Hot Grill Friends are going for Idaho and and Left Hand Smoke is going for Oregon awesome... this is going to be a blast!!!

Sledneck
09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
How are we home state rep?

Every state has to have a home team. Ique won both MA contests but he had an auto already

Smokesman
09-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Sled - I can't for the life of me find the official list online from the JD people - where did you find it?

Black Cat BBQ
09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
congrats to all who got their names called!!

MattCom
09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
:clap2: Killer!!!!

Sledneck
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Sled - I can't for the life of me find the official list online from the JD people - where did you find it?

Karen Walker from the KCBS office.

Smokesman
09-03-2010, 04:46 PM
This so rocks they honored Slap yo' Daddy's seven GCs ... dgassaways, Smoking Hot Grill Friends are going for Idaho and and Left Hand Smoke is going for Oregon awesome... this is going to be a blast!!!

Yes, putting aside a technicality and honoring a clearly qualified team is amazing...and refreshing!

SmokeInDaEye
09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
:clap2: Killer!!!!

Congrats guys! Represent us well!!

ddog27
09-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Congrats Everyone!! Great job!!

Yakfishingfool
09-03-2010, 04:57 PM
SoW gets the Wild Card?!? Wild Indeed!!!!!

Bud's BBQ
09-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Congratulation to all the Brethren who got the draw.

Way to go Andy and Kim, what a way to get a ticket to the Jack.

Tippy, Bit Ts, Freemans, Extreme - way to go!

Smokesman
09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
So do I have this correct...if a state is not represented by a home team and there is a team from said state that has won a qualifying GC in said state then they get a bung in the home state draw - but only one team from all gets to go - i.e. not every state will have a representative?

Tim H
09-03-2010, 05:20 PM
So do I have this correct...if a state is not represented by a home team and there is a team from said state that has won a qualifying GC in said state then they get a bung in the home state draw - but only one team from all gets to go - i.e. not every state will have a representative?

I (TimothyT.) was the only Ohio team in the Ohio barrel, and the only Ohio team with a quailifying GC (i believe), yet did not receive an invite... confused

Rich Parker
09-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Congratulations everyone!

YankeeBBQ
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
So do I have this correct...if a state is not represented by a home team and there is a team from said state that has won a qualifying GC in said state then they get a bung in the home state draw - but only one team from all gets to go - i.e. not every state will have a representative? No you don't. The Jack wants every state represented not a team from every state. Mass had 2 qualifers. Ique won both but ique had an auto because they won the jack last year. Therefore the state of massachusetts was not represented. Any team from mass that won a qualifier in any other state and was not already drawn was put into a hat.

BBQ Grail
09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Question?

What would happen if a team is drawn to represent a State and they can't go, for whatever reason? Is another team from that state drawn? Are there alternates?

CivilWarBBQ
09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Congrats to all who were lucky enough to be drawn! Ain't nuthin' in BBQ better than cooking The Jack. You've grabbed the brass ring boys.

beerguy
09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Congrats to all who made it. Good Luck Big Ugly and Cool Smoke!

Westexbbq
09-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I am very pleased to see the list of those that made it.
Congratulations to you all!
Special nod to Out of the Ashes and Smoke on Wheels!
Go get em.

Jorge
09-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Question?

What would happen if a team is drawn to represent a State and they can't go, for whatever reason? Is another team from that state drawn? Are there alternates?

To be entered in the draw the team has to submit paperwork in advance of the draw. If, after the draw, you can't go the spot is left vacant I believe.

Tim H
09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
No you don't. The Jack wants every state represented not a team from every state. Mass had 2 qualifers. Ique won both but ique had an auto because they won the jack last year. Therefore the state of massachusetts was not represented. Any team from mass that won a qualifier in any other state and was not already drawn was put into a hat.

I understand your response that each State should be represented with a qualifying GC champion from a contest in that state (but not necessarily a team that resided in that state).

Can you help me out.. here is my situation. My interpretation of the Draw guidelines was different though.

I was the only Ohio team that won 1 of the 3 qualifying contests in Ohio. The other two contests were won by Smoke n Ice (TX) and Mooswiners (KY). Smoke n Ice was pulled from the Ohio barrel. I do not think that there were any other Ohio teams (besides mine) that won a qualifying contest, and were therefore in any other State barrel?
The letter from the contest read... "If any team is the only Grand Champion from its home state and it has not been selected via a state draw, that team will be invited to represent its state...if there are numerous Grand Champions from any state and none of their names have been drawn, all Grand Champions from that state will go into a draw to determine who represents their home state" Again, I think I was the only Ohio team with a GC? My team was not drawn from the Ohio barrel, and I was not selected to represent my home state of Ohio... have I mis-interpreted how the draw works?

Unfortunately, it is not my interpretation of how the Draw works that matters though.

Jorge
09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
The Jack Draw (capitalized on purpose) is really, REALLY cool!

I was out checking out the contest site a little while ago and stopped to talk to Mack and Sharon from Smoke'n Ice. Mack found a PDF with the results on his phone but couldn't open it. I opened mine and had to fight to hold back the smile before I stuck my hand out and gave him the news.

It was really cool to be there, to see just how much it meant to Mack and Sharon! Congrats!

Congrats also go out to Andy and Kim from Smoke on Wheels! I think Andy's phone had just about melted when I got ahold of him! The luck of the wild card couldn't fall on two more deserving people, or two better friends!

EDIT: After I told Mack they were in, he insisted on seeing it for himself!;)

Coz
09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Congrats to all our friends on the draw . Good luck

Ford
09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Any Ohio team winning a GC in any state goes into the home team draw. So if an OH team was drawn from say MI then there's an Ohio team at the Jack and no State draw needed. Does that help.

I understand your response that each State should be represented with a qualifying GC champion from a contest in that state (but not necessarily a team that resided in that state).

Can you help me out.. here is my situation. My interpretation of the Draw guidelines was different though.

I was the only Ohio team that won 1 of the 3 qualifying contests in Ohio. The other two contests were won by Smoke n Ice (TX) and Mooswiners (KY). Smoke n Ice was pulled from the Ohio barrel. I do not think that there were any other Ohio teams (besides mine) that won a qualifying contest, and were therefore in any other State barrel?
The letter from the contest read... "If any team is the only Grand Champion from its home state and it has not been selected via a state draw, that team will be invited to represent its state...if there are numerous Grand Champions from any state and none of their names have been drawn, all Grand Champions from that state will go into a draw to determine who represents their home state" Again, I think I was the only Ohio team with a GC? My team was not drawn from the Ohio barrel, and I was not selected to represent my home state of Ohio... have I mis-interpreted how the draw works?

Unfortunately, it is not my interpretation of how the Draw works that matters though.

NorthwestBBQ
09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm going to the Jack! :-D

YankeeBBQ
09-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Unfortunately, it is not my interpretation of how the Draw works that matters though. are you sure no other team from ohio was drawn ? I seem to recall Yabba Dabba que getting in that way last year.

Coz
09-03-2010, 06:19 PM
are you sure no other team from ohio was drawn ? I seem to recall Yabba Dabba que getting in that way last year.

What state is BBQ Guru From?

YankeeBBQ
09-03-2010, 06:38 PM
What state is BBQ Guru From?
They're from PA

AZScott
09-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Congrats to all the teams that were drawn and to the teams that won 7! Man, I have a new goal.

swamprb
09-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Orygun????

This really was the luck of the draw.

thillin
09-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Congrats to the Brethren that made the draw!:clap2:

Goodluck next year for those that didn't!:clap2:

Smokin J
09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I am very pleased to see the list of those that made it.
Congratulations to you all!
Special nod to Out of the Ashes and Smoke on Wheels!
Go get em.

Thanks Wes! We'll do ya proud.

Harbormaster
09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Orygun????

This really was the luck of the draw.
I scrolled straight to WA and didn't see Left Hand Smoke, then said some choice words.

I guess this was just your year!

And congratulations to Freeman Bros!

Smokin J
09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Congrats guys! Represent us well!!

Thanks Clint! We certainly will!

Brauma
09-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Congrats everyone!

Bentley
09-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Exciting times for all the winners...best of Luck!

Arlin_MacRae
09-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Freaking awesome!!!! Congrats to all, but especially to Andy & Kim who pulled that right out of their shorts!

Arlin

2Fat
09-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Slednek, not trying to question your information but are you 100% sure. The reason i ask is that I am half od Freeman Brothers BBQ and i hope to god these are correct.

Pete
well I hope both halves know by know<lol>

Congrats--Enjoy the experience!!!

JD McGee
09-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Holy Jack shots...I still can't believe it...I just got back from swamprb's...he pretty much slept through the whole thing...just woke up as I was pullin' in to his driveway. Talk about LUCK...this was truly meant to be for LHS. Gongrats to all who got the call...and to all who made the draw...:thumb: I am very much looking forward to meeting a lot of Brethren and shaking your hand...in person...:cool:
JD

slat
09-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Congrats to all on getting a call.

Tim H
09-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Any Ohio team winning a GC in any state goes into the home team draw. So if an OH team was drawn from say MI then there's an Ohio team at the Jack and no State draw needed. Does that help.

Thanks Ford.

I am pretty sure (not 100%) that I was the only team that resided in Ohio that was in any State's barrel/draw - that is where my confusion lies. Assuming that I was the only Ohio team in the entire draw, I was of the mindset that I would be in even if I was not picked from the Ohio barrel/draw.:confused:

Smokesman
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I (TimothyT.) was the only Ohio team in the Ohio barrel, and the only Ohio team with a quailifying GC (i believe), yet did not receive an invite... confused

Thanks Ford.

I am pretty sure (not 100%) that I was the only team that resided in Ohio that was in any State's barrel/draw - that is where my confusion lies. Assuming that I was the only Ohio team in the entire draw, I was of the mindset that I would be in even if I was not picked from the Ohio barrel/draw.:confused:

Unless I am totally missing the boat here...very possible...the home state reps have not been fully chosen. Also, Podge (3 bungs) posted on facebook that they were still awaiting the home state draws. Last year their were 5 home state draws and on the current 2010 list there is only 1.

Tim - I to believe you are correct and are the only GC winner from OH and by default get an invite. But don't quote me on that!!!

DawgPhan
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
doesn't it seem odd that the biggest contest in bbq has the most confusing rules? or is that part of the charm...

matthew burt
09-03-2010, 08:55 PM
We also are the only team from Nebraska that won any contests and we dont have a homestate draw either! really confused!

FamilyManBBQ
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm going to the Jack! :-D

Michael, FYI Costco sells a bag of 240 red cups!! :wink:

Don't forget that camera....I want to see the pics!!

Enjoy the ride!

KnucklHed BBQ
09-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Congrats to Smokin Hot Grill Friends and Left Hand Smoke!!!! Gonna be awesome!

HoDeDo
09-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Getting the WildCard draw is definately fitting for us!!! Can't wait have a shot up on the hill, overlooking all that sweet blue. Congrats to everyone who got thier bung pulled!!!

brewerjamie15
09-04-2010, 07:47 AM
I wish you all the best of luck. Lots of hard work was put into getting there so you all deserve it.

I need to learn more about the BBQ circuit and how it works. I'll start today in Milwaukee at the Brew City's Best BBQ. My plan is to learn by eating everything in site and maybe mumble a few questions later.
Anyhow- Good Luck to the Bretheren and a special shout out to ---WI Freeman Brothers BBQ--- Represent us well!

PimpSmoke
09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Wow, Freeman Bros having a stellar year. Give em hell guys.

MikeR
09-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Congrats to all the Brethren teams that will be going to the "Jack". Now go get em.:thumb:

Muzzlebrake
09-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Congrats to everyone who, "got a letter this morning, baby all it read, you better get back to Tennessee Jed" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZaU3VtMfoM)

Meat@Slim's
09-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Congrats to everyone who, "got a letter this morning, baby all it read, you better get back to Tennessee Jed" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZaU3VtMfoM)

Very nice link Sean! You gonna be on Tennessee time this October?

Smokesman
09-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Okay - need your help guys. Couple teams I'm still pulling for in the Jack draw one that looks like they should have an invite but isn't on the list. Does it take a few days before an official draw list is posted? Cannot find anything online that I would consider "official". Is the list Sled posted from his KCBS source only a partial yet still "official" list? Haven't even heard a peep from Slap Yo' Daddy on his blog or facebook about getting an automatic???

Ford
09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
the list is as official as it gets. When a team gets their letter notifying them they have been drawn then it's official for them. No letter means no invite.

ln the past a team has been added but not often. Invitations are made at the discretion of the Jack. There's no set rules just guidelines they follow.

getyourrubonbbq
09-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Congratulations to all selected!!!

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-04-2010, 10:40 AM
the list is as official as it gets. When a team gets their letter notifying them they have been drawn then it's official for them. No letter means no invite.

ln the past a team has been added but not often. Invitations are made at the discretion of the Jack. There's no set rules just guidelines they follow.

And teams (at least one that I know of) can be removed from the list too. The invites are a tricky thing.

Congrats to all that got an invite! For me? I'll be there as a drunk dish washer :)

Jorge
09-04-2010, 10:43 AM
And teams (at least one that I know of) can be removed from the list too. The invites are a tricky thing.

Congrats to all that got an invite! For me? I'll be there as a drunk dish washer :)

You need legal representation! I negotiated with Hodedo, and I don't have to wash dishes!:wink:

afreemaniii
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks Clarke and all. It was a heck of roller coaster ride to win the last weekend of qualifying and then see our name was drawn to represent Wisconsin. We are very excited for the opportunity and look forward to doing our best to make all of the other great teams in Wisconsin proud.

Two great teams weren't drawn this year, but something tells me that both of them will have plenty of chances in the future. Bringin' the Heat and QU Smokin' Crew were both deserving of this opportunity as well.

Muzzlebrake
09-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Very nice link Sean! You gonna be on Tennessee time this October?
You need legal representation! I negotiated with Hodedo, and I don't have to wash dishes!:wink:

Ain't no place I'd rather be…
Looks like I'm the dishwasher

Sledneck
09-04-2010, 11:43 PM

You wanna split a hotel room ?:evil:

matthew burt
09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
HOME STATE REP
MA
Meat @ Slims
OR
Sugar's Barbecue
KY
Warren Co. Pork Choppers
NE
Phat Jacks BBQ
IL
Gilly's Barn Stormin' BBQ
NC
Pickin' Porkers
MO
Moo Cow
OH
Timothy T. & the BBQ Hi-Rollers

these are the homestate reps that did not get drew yesterday for some reason!!! See you all in Lynchburg!!!

Sledneck
09-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Guess im the dryer then

swamprb
09-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Let's hear it for the Home State Reps!!

Congratulations all!!

Final Jack list
http://www.rbjb.com/final_jack_draw_2010.pdf

swamprb
09-05-2010, 01:06 AM

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Jack08/100_3109.jpg

Sledneck
09-05-2010, 08:22 AM
HOME STATE REP
MA Meat @ Slims
OR Sugar's Barbecue
KY Warren Co. Pork Choppers
NE Phat Jacks BBQ
IL Gilly's Barn Stormin' BBQ
NC Pickin' Porkers
MO Moo Cow
OH Timothy T. & the BBQ Hi-Rollers

JD McGee
09-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Way to go state reps...congrats! :clap2:
A special shout and big hug to my Sista Smoka in Portland...Lynnae of Sugars BBQ...WOW...you did it lady...I guess this means you'll not be sharing your pork butt tips huh? :twisted:

Finney
09-05-2010, 10:17 AM
So I guess the list wasn't as official as it gets.... earlier...

Congrats to all the newly picked teams!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Congrats to Warren Co. Pork Choppers!

moocow
09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
This is so unreal!! I still cannot believe it. CONGRATS to everyone who gets to go. What an honor!

SmokinCW
09-05-2010, 05:47 PM
So, did Slap Yo Daddy make the list or not?

The_Kapn
09-05-2010, 06:01 PM
ongrats to all the Brethren teams that got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about 50 ft away from Jimmy Brod (Smokin' Cracker AKA Everglades Seasoning) when he got the phone call on Fri-----------------
I have never seen a "big boy" jump that high and yell that loud :-D
Even on Sat morning--he was still riding high!

WTG Jimmy.

The other FBA team (that I am aware of) that made the draw was the "Ross Team". That is one of the niceest father snd son teams on the circuit. They won their first and only (to my knowledge) GC at Albany, GA this spring.
I could not be happier to see a great pair get selected!

TIM

Sledneck
09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
ongrats to all the Brethren teams that got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about 50 ft away from Jimmy Brod (Smokin' Cracker AKA Everglades Seasoning) when he got the phone call on Fri-----------------
I have never seen a "big boy" jump that high and yell that loud :-D
Even on Sat morning--he was still riding high!

WTG Jimmy.

The other FBA team (that I am aware of) that made the draw was the "Ross Team". That is one of the niceest father snd son teams on the circuit. They won their first and only (to my knowledge) GC at Albany, GA this spring.
I could not be happier to see a great pair get selected!

TIM Wish somebody video taped him

HoDeDo
09-05-2010, 08:09 PM

But if someone sees a red dot on thier forehead, that will be the SOW official Contemplative Moderator, in the tree above you :thumb:

Coz
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
But if someone sees a red dot on thier forehead, that will be the SOW official Contemplative Moderator, in the tree above you :thumb:

Dont send Jorge after me for yesterdays bad luck that I brought on ya :pray: there was a day when I went to a contest and who ever I hung out with was good for grand. Seems I have that black cloud now.:crazy:

R2Egg2Q
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
So, did Slap Yo Daddy make the list or not?

Slap Yo Daddy got an automatic entry for 7 GCs. Looks like the New Mexico contest that they thought only had 24 teams had more than 25.

Congrats to all Brethren teams that are going to the Jack and a big :thumb: for the 2 CA teams: Smitty's Smoke Patrol & Slap Yo Daddy.

Kosmo's Q
09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Got the Oklahoma call..... Dannngggg, Can't wait to see all of you bad a*#'s.... Time to represent the Brethren! Good luck to all, and Drinks are on Andy! LOL

Vince RnQ
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Slap Yo Daddy got an automatic entry for 7 GCs. Looks like the New Mexico contest that they thought only had 24 teams had more than 25.

Congrats to all Brethren teams that are going to the Jack and a big :thumb: for the 2 CA teams: Smitty's Smoke Patrol & Slap Yo Daddy.

I was at the IBCA contest in Albuquerque and I, along with everyone else who was at the awards ceremony for this event, witnessed the following:

* Only 5 places were called in each of the four categories
* The tickets had been removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony

I spoke to Lynn Shivers regarding these two major irregularities a few days after the contest and she confirmed the following:

* The only time less than 10 places should be called in any category is when less than 10 entries are received. That was clearly not the case at this contest.
* Tickets should never be removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony. The reason for this is so as to guarantee that the correct ticket is called for the correct tray. This is from IBCA Rule 7 - "Winning numbers will not be revealed until time to announce each place in each category. At that time the secret numbers attached to the tray/cup will be removed and announced."

Lynn stated that these two violations of IBCA protocol and their blind judging system compromised the integrity of the contest and it could not be considered a qualifier for those reasons.

Furthermore, the following disclaimer appears on the contest results page on the IBCA website: "Only the top 5 places were called as directed by the Promoter - therefore without calling out the other 5 places - the true overall results of the event are not reflected." http://www.ibcabbq.org/results2010/re100626albuq.html

If the "true overall results of the contest are not reflected", how can this contest be considered as a qualifier?

Bigmista
09-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Apparently it was good enough for the folx at Jack Daniels.

Look at it this way, if Harry doesn't get the automatic, he goes into the draw with 6 wins. That makes it highly improbable that Smitty would get to go. Now Harry is going AND another California team is going because that spot wasn't taken. Harry being in doesn't hurt anyone else's chances and one of the competitors in the country gets to compete. Isn't that what the Jack is all about? Competing against the very best?

Scottie
09-05-2010, 11:56 PM
The whole thin g is messed up and someone should step up... whether that be the IBCA or the team that this went in favor of. Nothing.g should be handed to anyone. Silence is deafening.

And yeah Mista, I do have a problem. Don't matter how many GC's you have, that does not guarantee you pulling your bung for your state. So to say it doesnt hurt anyone else is false. It takes away a spot from some other team....

Crash
09-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I certainly don't see any issue with Slap Yo Daddy being given an autoJack. Sure, the NM contest was (from what I heard) a scoring disaster. Still, 6 confirmed GC's and one GC from the screwy NM contest deserves some recognition as a qualifier to the Jack IMO.

As long as Slap Yo Daddy didnt affect the CA Jack draw, is there really an issue? It's obvious that Slap Yo Daddy is a great team and deserves to be there.

Just one dude's opinion.

Bigmista
09-06-2010, 12:39 AM
The whole thin g is messed up and someone should step up... whether that be the IBCA or the team that this went in favor of. Nothing.g should be handed to anyone. Silence is deafening.

And yeah Mista, I do have a problem. Don't matter how many GC's you have, that does not guarantee you pulling your bung for your state. So to say it doesnt hurt anyone else is false. It takes away a spot from some other team....

Was there another team with 7 wins that won't get to go because Harry is going? Harry would have been in the California draw with 6 bungs instead of 1. Who's spot is he taking? And if I'm not mistaken, this is an invitational. Can't they invite who they want?

Jeff Selle
09-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Hey I am a rookie, and I'll admit that i'm totally wet behind the ears when it comes to BBQ politics... and, of course, I certainly wasn't at that comp, but I have met and cooked with Harry and Benny of Slap Yo Daddy, they are honorable and ethical competitors, and in the media concerning the New Mexico competition, they have dealt with the situation much more graciously than I would have. They won 7 GCs ... in my book they shouldn't be penalized for the administrative blunders that arose... The Jack was spot on with that call

Scottie
09-06-2010, 05:51 AM
This isn't the first time this has happened. Darren Warth back in'06 had 7 wins. His 7th only had 24 teams. It did not count. You have to put 'qualifying' contests on your Jack application. A 23 team contest, no matter what should be put on your application. I am both questioning Slap Your Daddy or anything ethical. What is right is right. I realize what Harry. Has done for comp cooking. No more than Brent Walton out West and he didn't get a free ride from the Jack... now that is an example, but there are many more if you want me to list them. But again, its not about Harry and his team.

Rich Parker
09-06-2010, 07:28 AM
The IBCA website says they were 27 teams. Is this being questioned as a non qualifier because of errors on the organizers part?

Date: 6-26-10 Event: 3rd Grillin N Chillin, Albuquerque, NM
Number of Teams: 27 Head Judge: Dana
Grand Champion: Harry Soo, Slap Yo Daddy
Reserve Grand Champion: Casey Nevarez, OKC's

Jorge
09-06-2010, 08:02 AM
The IBCA website says they were 27 teams. Is this being questioned as a non qualifier because of errors on the organizers part?

I've been told that it didn't say 27 teams until recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VGuilford
09-06-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm honored that we got a draw. Now we get to try to be the best of the best. We were going anyway to support Boondoggle. Now we get to go and compete against a number of brethren teams.

Jorge
09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
I was at the IBCA contest in Albuquerque and I, along with everyone else who was at the awards ceremony for this event, witnessed the following:

* Only 5 places were called in each of the four categories
* The tickets had been removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony

I spoke to Lynn Shivers regarding these two major irregularities a few days after the contest and she confirmed the following:

* The only time less than 10 places should be called in any category is when less than 10 entries are received. That was clearly not the case at this contest.
* Tickets should never be removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony. The reason for this is so as to guarantee that the correct ticket is called for the correct tray. This is from IBCA Rule 7 - "Winning numbers will not be revealed until time to announce each place in each category. At that time the secret numbers attached to the tray/cup will be removed and announced."

Lynn stated that these two violations of IBCA protocol and their blind judging system compromised the integrity of the contest and it could not be considered a qualifier for those reasons.

Furthermore, the following disclaimer appears on the contest results page on the IBCA website: "Only the top 5 places were called as directed by the Promoter - therefore without calling out the other 5 places - the true overall results of the event are not reflected." http://www.ibcabbq.org/results2010/re100626albuq.html

If the "true overall results of the contest are not reflected", how can this contest be considered as a qualifier?

I wasn't there, and have a couple of questions based on what I've heard..

Was pork an optional category for this contest? If so, was that fact known ahead of time?

How many teams were there?

I saw Lynn yesterday, but I didn't want to open that can of worms after a contest, and I suspect she'd heard enough about it at the time anyway.

Bigmista
09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
This isn't the first time this has happened. Darren Warth back in'06 had 7 wins. His 7th only had 24 teams. It did not count. You have to put 'qualifying' contests on your Jack application. A 23 team contest, no matter what should be put on your application. I am both questioning Slap Your Daddy or anything ethical. What is right is right. I realize what Harry. Has done for comp cooking. No more than Brent Walton out West and he didn't get a free ride from the Jack... now that is an example, but there are many more if you want me to list them. But again, its not about Harry and his team.

So what would you have the people at Jack Daniels do? Take away Harry's automatic, take the draw away from Smitty's Smoke Patrol and redo the California Draw? How much good will do you think that would foster?

What's interesting to me is that the people who are shouting the loudest are people who aren't affected by this in anyway. I know for a fact that there is a contingent of teams in the west that are jealous of Harry's success, both as a competitor and in the media. Some don't want to compete against him because he has won so much in such a short amount of time.

Let me tell you this, I have know Harry ever since he started competing and he is one of the nicest and most gracious people you will ever meet. I am happy that he is going to the Jack and I wish him much success as he competes against some of the best teams in the world.

And Kudos to Jack Daniels for not penalizing Harry for an error by a contest promoter or rep.

KC_Bobby
09-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Congrats to everyone who earned a bung and another congrats to those who were drawn. I think I counted at least 10 teams going this year that I'd consider very good friends - can't wait to meet even more teams down there.

Now off to Cabela's to get waders.

Smoke'n Ice
09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Looking forward to the competion, meeting new friends and fun that I have heard THE JACK to be. I just reserved a room at the Mulburry House B&B in Mulbury, TN (7 miles from town) and Ms. Candy, whoes father ran the distillary for 20 years, still has one room with a queen bed and private bath. Web site is http://www.bbonline.com/tn/mulberry/specials.html. She also operated the local buggy ride. Tell her, when you leave a message, that Mack referred you. Thanks

Vince RnQ
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I wasn't there, and have a couple of questions based on what I've heard..

Was pork an optional category for this contest? If so, was that fact known ahead of time?

How many teams were there?

I saw Lynn yesterday, but I didn't want to open that can of worms after a contest, and I suspect she'd heard enough about it at the time anyway.

Jorge, the event entry form/flyer (http://www.ibcabbq.org/flyers2010/albuquerque.pdf) lists Pork along with Chicken, Ribs and Brisket but in no location does is state that all 4 meats are required to qualify for the event Grand Championship. We have cooked many IBCA contests that have required all 4 meats but there were also teams at the contest who had little or no IBCA experience and thought that Pork was not necessary to qualify for GC and it was clear at the cook's meeting that the IBCA Head Judge also thought Pork was not required. She referred to it as the "other meat" and wanted it turned in first followed by Chicken, Ribs and Brisket. Now, if the Head Judge is unclear, it stands to reason that teams would be unclear too. While the order of turn ins was changed to Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket, it was never clearly stated at the meeting that all 4 meats were required.

Regarding teams, we did not walk around and count the actual number of teams who were on site so I cannot give you an accurate count. Nor can anyone of us give an accurate count of the number of teams that turned in all 4 meats. There was one team that turned in Chicken and then packed up and left the event and the number of teams that turned in Pork was variously reported as being between 16 and 18, further suggesting the level of confusion regarding that category.

But team count isn't really the issue here. The undisputable fact that only 5 places were called and that the tickets were off the boxes prior to the awards ceremony puts the final result of the contest into question. Think about it: If one of the tickets is called for the wrong place, it skews the end result. That's why the tickets are supposed to remain physically attached to the boxes until they are announced. Their removal corrupts the integrity of the result. Why else would IBCA have posted a disclaimer regarding the results back in June on the very page that was changed to show 27 teams instead of 24?

What we're talking about here is the integrity of the qualification process for the one of the greatest contests in competition barbeque. It has absolutely nothing to do with the individuals involved and to suggest that it does is about as shallow as it gets. The results of the Albuquerque contest were compromised. This is a fact and it is undisputable.

big brother smoke
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Congrats to all Brethren teams! I am of course hoping my buddy, JD kicks some arse.

Regarding the matter of Harry Soo making it. Their application was vetted by the only folks that matter; the officials of the Jack. By questioning the ethics of the process of that selected team does indeed take away from their glory!

Funtimebbq
09-06-2010, 03:55 PM
On Aug. 19th, at 12:01 a.m., the following was posted on the CBBQA forum regarding the GC of the NM contest. I added the bold letters.

"What happened at that contest was a very unfortunate series of events and I think some things were said in the heat of the moment that would likely not have been said under calmer circumstances. There were many things at that contest that were mishandled by the Head Judge and the integrity of the outcome was clearly compromised by those mistakes. That is not to say that the rightful winner was not crowned that day. Quite the opposite. In fact, it took a few days for the correct RGC to also be identified and rightfully honored. Too bad that didn't also happen on site when the correction was made so that the proper GC was crowned."

The author was VisionQuest220

Smokesman
09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks Ford.

Congrats Tim on making the home state draw albeit a day late. Represent the Buckeye state well! You heading to Nelsonville?

Smoke'n Ice
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Tim, we'll see you and smokesman in Nelsonville and have a great time seeing ya'll again. We'll spend the rest of the week in Deleware, OH with Sharon's family and then move on down to Lynchburg on Wednesday and check into Ms Candy's B&B and enjoy the area and then set up at the Jack on Friday. We have booked lunch at Ms BoBo's for Friday (maybe) and then the fun begins. CU there along with Jorge and HoDeHo and other Brethern.

Everyone there deserves to be there and we should now stop questioning the logic that is Jack and just luxerate (sp) in the ambiance of the moment. We may not get to do it again and there are a lot of teams that are better but they aint going, we are. CELEBRATE the moment.

my two cents

Mack Yarbrough
Smoke'n Ice
Plano, TX

2Fat
09-06-2010, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Smoke'n Ice;1393259] just luxerate (sp) in the ambiance of the moment. We may not get to do it again and there are a lot of teams that are better but they aint going, we are. CELEBRATE the moment.

enjoying the experience is what its all about!! I know we did!!

Big George's BBQ
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Congrats to all who got the call. Awesome. Safe travels and have a Great Time

dmprantz
09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Congrats to all who had a bunch pulled, especially LHS and Big Ugly. Hoping to see you all there!

dmp

Vince RnQ
09-06-2010, 09:11 PM
On Aug. 19th, at 12:01 a.m., the following was posted on the CBBQA forum regarding the GC of the NM contest. I added the bold letters.

"What happened at that contest was a very unfortunate series of events and I think some things were said in the heat of the moment that would likely not have been said under calmer circumstances. There were many things at that contest that were mishandled by the Head Judge and the integrity of the outcome was clearly compromised by those mistakes. That is not to say that the rightful winner was not crowned that day. Quite the opposite. In fact, it took a few days for the correct RGC to also be identified and rightfully honored. Too bad that didn't also happen on site when the correction was made so that the proper GC was crowned."

The author was VisionQuest220

Yes, SYD was the GC of the Albuquerque contest and IBCA subsequently ruled and publicly stated that the Albuquerque contest was not a qualifier and stated that SYD had been informed of the decision.

Anyone who wishes to see the entire context of the discussion from which my comments were taken can find it here: http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14081 (http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14081)

Benny, in the sentence immediately prior to the one you have placed in boldface I stated that the things which were mishandled by the Head Judge clearly compromised the integrity of the outcome.

If the outcome is compromised, how is it a qualifier? That seems to be a question no one wants to address. Would you care to answer since you are here?
Did IBCA contact your team and say that it was changing their publicly stated position that the contest was not a qualifier?
Why would your team have submitted it as a qualifying contest unless you had been directly notified that it's status had changed considering your team had been notified that it was not being considered a qualifier?

Sledneck
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
The Jack is a great contest and a great privilege. That being said, as far as JD is concerned is the Jack more about the contest/teams or publicity for the company/product?

Smokesman
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
IBCA subsequently ruled and publicly stated that the Albuquerque contest was not a qualifier and stated that SYD had been informed of the decision.

[/LIST]

I've been doing some research today to satisfy my own curiosity. Is the IBCA's public statement online somewhere? There is nothing that I could find on the IBCA's website stating the NM comp in question was no longer considered a qualifier.

JD McGee
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
The Jack is a great contest and a great privilege. That being said, as far as JD is concerned is the Jack more about the contest/teams or publicity for the company/product?

I think it sad that this incident has dampened the enthusiasm (for some) for this prestigious world class event. I for one (and the swamprb too...I'm sure) am/are thrilled to be going...it is and has been the ONE and ONLY goal for team Left Hand Smoke...:cool:

The Jack is and will be (to me) the ultimate BBQ Championship...some will take advantage in any and every way. Some will profit from it...some will savor it's memories and commeraderie...I fall in the latter. See you all...at The Jack...:thumb:

JD

matthew burt
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I think it sad that this incident has dampened the enthusiasm (for some) for this prestigious world class event. I for one (and the swamprb too...I'm sure) am/are thrilled to be going...it is and has been the ONE and ONLY goal for team Left Hand Smoke...:cool:

The Jack is and will be (to me) the ultimate BBQ Championship...some will take advantage in any and every way. Some will profit from it...some will savor it's memories and commeraderie...I fall in the latter. See you all...at The Jack...:thumb:

JD

Im with you!! Looking very forward to it!

Bigmista
09-07-2010, 12:02 AM
I've never been to the Jack. Never even seen the application but I have been informed that the application says to list your GC's. Not your qualifying GC's.

It is my understanding the Jack has a committee the vets all of the applications. I'd have to assume that if there was a problem, the committee would have contacted the IBCA for clarification.

So who are you to second guess the results that BOTH of the organizations have come up with? They've been doing this contest for years and you've been competing for 5 minutes. How full of yourself you must be to think that you know better than them. If you hold the contest in such high esteem and are concerned about their integrity, why would you assume that they are wrong? Were you sitting in with the vetting committee? Do you have first hand knowledge that the rest of us don't?

It seems to me that if Harry is on the list then they want him there. Don't you want to compete against the best? No team is losing their spot because of him. Do you fear him? Will the contest be worse in someway if he's there? If you win while he's there, will you give the trophy back because it's tainted?

You say it's nothing personal about Harry and yet people witnessed you arguing with him for an hour and a half at Mesquite when he tried to congratulate you on you walks. Why didn't you discuss this with him then instead of bringing it up in a public forum? Are you out to smear his name of that of the Jack Daniels for selecting him? Is it because you were angry that one of his students (from your home state who came to Cali to take his class) won the contest?

In light of this, I have to question your motives to try and get him removed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. Congrats to all who were selected.

moocow
09-07-2010, 07:29 AM
This is ruining the mood for me! I was so excited when we got the news. Are we the best team in Missouri? No, not even close but we got picked and we are excited. I bet there are teams from Mo. who are like why did they get this and not us, we are better than them. We don't see them on the forum saying this stuff. If the people from the jack want Harry there then I have no problem with it. Its there contest and they can do what they want. I understand that some people might not like how it worked out but it is what it is. I say we end all this and support everyone who got picked because for us it is probably a once in a lifetime deal. I truly will be pulling for all brethren that are going down there and hope they will do the same for us.

Jorge
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Mod Note:

On a couple of occasions the discussion re:Harry Soo has strayed towards dangerous territory regarding the rules of this forum. In some cases things are becoming personal. Please continue to keep it civil.

I understand the desire of friends to defend what they view as an attack directed towards a friend. I also understand the point of view that there are some issues that may need to be looked into. I've got no problem with either point of view. I also spent more of my Labor Day talking to folks that were at the NM contest, folks that have forgotten more about the Jack draw than I know, some other folks in a position to provide additional information. I did that so that I could better evaluate the discussion based on facts. That's not how I intended to spend my Labor Day, during a busy week, less than a week before my wife and I planned to sneak away to California to renew our wedding vows.

Therefore....no BS will be tolerated. If anyone wants to continue that discussion feel free. Make sure you have something of value to add, and make certain that it falls within the forum rules. If you are moderated for violating forum rules, feel free to shoot me a PM if you disagree because I'm likely to be the person moderating. Opinions are welcome, as is the right to disagree.

Play nice Boys and Girls!

Sledneck
09-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Harry Soo discusses his Jack Draw on his blog. http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1152

Rub
09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
A big congratulations to all who have been drawn! Savor every moment you're there and make some great memories. It's a trip you won't ever forget. :thumb:

ique
09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
So who are you to second guess the results that BOTH of the organizations have come up with? They've been doing this contest for years and you've been competing for 5 minutes. How full of yourself you must be to think that you know better than them.

It seems to me that if Harry is on the list then they want him there. Don't you want to compete against the best? No team is losing their spot because of him.

I've been doing the contest for 9 years and am pretty familiar with the qualifying rules. It is not a judgement call on the part of Jack Daniels contest organizers. Believe it or not there are qualifying rules that they follow. Now they do not always have the correct information and the wrong call does get made from time to time. My guess is they have that IBCA contest down as a qualifier and may not even have been aware of the controversy of this contest.

The rule is 7 qualifying GRANDS, if that did not happen the team should not get invited.

The only reason SYD should be invited, its because per the rules they qualified. NOT because someone at Jack 'want him there'.

I definitely want to compete against the best but only want teams that qualified on the "up and up".

I really dont know the details of that IBCA event, the main reason for my response is that while the qualifying rules are complicated - they are followed. I think its wrong to suggest that the Jack just chooses whoever they want.

Big Poppa
09-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Im going to let the Jack pick the teams..Congrats to all selected.

Prairie Smoke
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm a bit late joining the celebration here... I am honored to be joining, and humbled by the list of teams for the 2010 Jack! An enormous congratulations to everyone who got their bung pulled, and also to everyone who was in the running. I got to be a co-pilot in 2009 so I got a taste of the magic that happens in the holler... Can't wait to be back!

Vince RnQ
09-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I would like to say Thank you to the two World Champions who concur that it is the integrity of the contest that is most important. As I have stated previously, this is not personal, and regardless of anyone else's attempts I will not allow it to become personal.

As Chris stated, it is the integrity of the process that matters. Any team that qualifies fairly deserves entry into the contest, but I have firsthand knowledge which I have openly shared that one contest used to gain entry did not meet qualifying standards per the sanctioning body. Competition barbecue is our sport, and we each have a shared responsibility uphold and preserve the integrity of all rules, whether we like them or not.

And still, the facts of that non-qualifying contest have not been addressed.

DawgPhan
09-07-2010, 11:19 AM
http://www.flbbq.org/albany.htm

if a qualifier has to have 25 teams, how did the Ross Team get into the draw?

It seems like this years has had more issues with the draw than those in recent memory. Lots of "25" team contests, disputed grands, and strangeness around the draw...maybe if the rules didnt make the NCAA rulebook look like the mayberry phone book this wouldnt be an issue.

Jorge
09-07-2010, 11:26 AM

It seems like this years has had more issues with the draw than those in recent memory. Lots of "25" team contests, disputed grands, and strangeness around the draw...maybe if the rules didnt make the NCAA rulebook look like the mayberry phone book this wouldnt be an issue.

Is it their only GC, and if so was it a first year contest with a proclamation?

FamilyManBBQ
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Man, this is like discussing the BCS!!!

Plowboy
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM

JD

Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competitive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.

Scottie
09-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Hater Todd.... Pull that crown from over your eyes, so you can see clearly.... :crazy:

DawgPhan
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Is it their only GC, and if so was it a first year contest with a proclamation?

Yes I believe that it was their only GC. I also believe that this contests was held last year.

http://nationalbbqrankings.com/contest/show_contest/786

though I am just using my own records as FBA doesnt show 2009 contests that far back. it is shown as a qualifier on the FBA website.

ique
09-07-2010, 11:52 AM
maybe if the rules didnt make the NCAA rulebook look like the mayberry phone book this wouldnt be an issue.

Its really not that bad (I think). Here is my take on an abbreviated version:

Qualifying contests are those that include meat categories of chicken, pork and beef AND:
* 1st year contest with 15 teams and a proclamation
or
* 25 teams and a proclamation
or
* 50+ teams

Automatics
1. Jack, Memphis, Houston, ARO
2. States with only 1 qualifying contest

State Draw
* State draw order is random
* Automatics are not included in State draw
* some teams may have multiple entries in a state draw
* One team is selected from each State Draw

Home State
* If any state is not represented at this point teams that live in the state may be selected
* Parrothead lives in North Dakota. No teams from North Dakota were selected in the other draws. Parrothead goes to the Jack
* If there were multiple teams in the draw from North Dakota they would have a home state draw

Wild Card
* One team is selected at the end of the draw from all the teams left. No multiple entries here. One bung per team left

KC_Bobby
09-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Automatics
1. Jack, Memphis, Houston

:mad:

ique
09-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competitive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.

So says the guy that has never been there. :boxing:

ique
09-07-2010, 11:56 AM
:mad:

UPDATED :clap2:

KC_Bobby
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
:becky:

Scottie
09-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Exactly....

Plowboy
09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Hater Todd.... Pull that crown from over your eyes, so you can see clearly.... :crazy:

Don't make me put on my cape and come kick yer butts!

Smoke'n Ice
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
The one thing that is not mentioned above is that the folks at the Jack get their information from the sanctioning bodies who certify that what they are reporting conforms to the standards set by The Jack. I don't believe they personally check that all the reports are accurate, but instead, rely on the integrity of the sanctioning body.

Jorge
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM

Dude, at least put on some boxers...I'm just sayin....

Sylvie
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Harry Soo discusses his Jack Draw on his blog. http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1152

Very good blog post from the heart from a man with BQ, IQ and EQ.

ique
09-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Very good blog post from the heart from a man with BQ, IQ and EQ.

Sorry gotta disagree with his blog post. Would prefer to discuss this somewhere where Harry posts but anyways...

Harry is NOT being flamed because he is successful. Rod Gray is successful and no one has as single issue with his invitation. The issue is whether the 7th contest qualified, thats it.

DawgPhan
09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Sorry gotta disagree with his blog post. Would prefer to discuss this somewhere where Harry posts but anyways...

Harry is NOT being flamed because he is successful. Rod Gray is successful and no one has as single issue with his invitation. The issue is whether the 7th contest qualified, thats it.

At least those cali boys stick together...you can say that for them. but yeah his "haters gonna hate" blog post is hardly heartfelt or even informational.

Smoke'n Ice
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competiive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.

It has taken me some time to formulate an appropriate response to this statement.

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world.

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack!

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good!

Let's celebrate this event for what it is and does.

My .02 cents worth and yes I got very lucky this year :-D

Mack Yarbrough

JD McGee
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Personal opinion...nothing more...nothing less.

Scottie
09-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Completely agree Chris. Using that example. As I have said in some PM's, if the shoe was on the other foot, ie Rod. I would of had a problem with that as well. (I also hate bringing Rod into this, but he is probably the best example for being the TOY points leader and winning his damn 7 cobntests a year for the last 10 years!!! )

I am truly happy for Harry the success that he has had and the success that he will have. But we all want to go to the Jack. No one is more deserving than anyone else as others have alluded. We all need to make sure the rules are followed and absolutely no sense of wrong doing (not necessarily on Harry's part) is going on. I will point the finger at IBCA, but the actual contest also has to be put on the Application for the Jack as well. Which was Harry's responsibility.

Also to those folks that have said that we are ruining your experience. If you really think that any past champion would go out and knock the contest that is a World Championship. You are mistaken. I know I can probably speak for any of the past champions and we ilil defend the honor and prestige of this contest until it goes away. Are we wrong for that?

I also completely understand why folks from Cali are defending Harry. He is one of your own. I respect you all for that. I just hope folks can understand the point of view that us 'others' have. We aren't trying to bring down the Jack, Harry or anyone else. The reason that we have rules is to keep uniformity. To have contests change their results, is not uniform and is not good for BBQ.

these are all opinions that I have addressed with others. I figured it was time that it was aired. I hope the Mods (especially Jorge) can see where I am coming from. I mean no disrepect to any of the Mods and most importantly Phil and his group of Brethren.

Peace out to all.

Scottie
2006 Jack Daniel's World Invitational Grand Champion

Jorge
09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
It has taken me some time to formulate an appropriate response to this statement.

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world.

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack!

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good!

Mack Yarbrough

I'll disagree. The Royal is my ultimate. If you win a qualifying GC, that is open, you can cook the invitational if you choose. Win loose or draw you have the opportunity the next day to cook the Open against the vast majority of the teams from the invitational and anybody else willing to spend the money to cook. In my book, that's the ultimate because between the two there isn't anybody that's excluded.

The Jack is incredibly special because in reality you have to win at least twice. You have to win a qualifier, and then you have to win in the draw if you don't have one of the automatic spots. The Jack is the most exclusive and has an aura about it that's hard to beat, but I can't call it the ultimate.

Plowboy
09-07-2010, 01:38 PM

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world. Isn't the Jack run by KCBS and use their rules?

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack! The Royal

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack! The Royal, GAB, SOTW Little Rock, ...

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack! All GC winners are invited to the GAB and the Royal... more than are invited to the Jack.

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack! The GAB, The Royal, and many other contests that draw teams from around the country and even international.

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good! This is very true and it pays to be more lucky than good.

Mack Yarbrough

Just putting some perspective on the Jack love affair that everyone seems to have every year. Would I go if invited, sure. But it is a huge crap shoot and not worth the time to worry about. Reality is that cooking primarily in Missouri and Kansas our odds are that we'll never go. And I'm okay with that. We have contests almost every weekend around here and that is a huge plus to competing in our area.

I'm not sour, nor a hater. I just don't get it.

Scottie
09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I'll disagree. The Royal is my ultimate. If you win a qualifying GC, that is open, you can cook the invitational if you choose. Win loose or draw you have the opportunity the next day to cook the Open against the vast majority of the teams from the invitational and anybody else willing to spend the money to cook. In my book, that's the ultimate because between the two there isn't anybody that's excluded.

Well...... :icon_shy

You know I had to say that...:shock:

Plowboy
09-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Is it KCBS BOD nomination time yet? :thumb:

NotleyQue
09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Dont get me wrong, I am the biggest Slap Yo Daddy fan out there, hell I personally drove all his gear 12K+ miles last year, so this is no way a slight on my BBQ Mentor and brother.

Having 6 draws to the jack doesnt make you a shoe in for the draw. Harry had 5 draws last year (the most in Cali) yet a team with 1 draw got chosen (All Hogs)

Neil, I cant remember the last time you even cooked a contest, so your take on contests is a bit askew, you have no idea the level of competition out there anymore, and when a contraverys like this arises, people tend to complain. I even raised an eyebrow. Some people compeate for fun, such as yourself, and others take this a hellava lot more serious.

As far as I knew, and the rest of the country knew, Harry was going into the lakeport contest 2 weeks ago with 6GCs, he didnt GC lakeport (and that was a huge discussion, because many of us around the country were rooting for Harry to take it) and all of a sudden there are 7 listed. I have heard both directly, and indirectly that as soon as it was noted, questions were raised. Because it was an IBCA contest the people at the KCBS could wipe their hands of this mess, because the KCBS contests were verified.

The problem arises because on the surface it appears that a contest that wasnt a qualifier was included. The person submitting the app to the people at the Jack has to list all their GCs, and the Jack takes that for face value because Jack submissions were made a few days prior to the draw. If SYD submitted an incorrect or false form, he shot himself in the foot, as there will be on re drawing, and Smittys will still go.

I want Harry to go to the Jack more than anyone, but the last thing I want to see happen to my great friend is people putting an astric beside his name. We dont get enough respect out here in the west, and as a serious competitor I thhink we deserve that respect, not more contarversy.

Jorge
09-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Scottie for President!:shock::shock::shock::becky:

smknwhlswife
09-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Dude, at least put on some boxers...I'm just sayin....

Would that cape be the Barbie Blanket from Little Rock!

Plowboy
09-07-2010, 02:39 PM

I know where you live, too.

Jorge
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM

.o0O Note to Self:Kim can talk smack....

Diva
09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I see/read where everybody's coming from, however.....who's gonna strap on a set and contact IBCA? Writing it on here isn't going to get anything done about it. Blaming it on an individual isn't going to get anything done about it, the sanctioning body is the one that sends the list to the Jack, it wasn't Harry.

I don't have a dog in this fight. It just seems silly to keep point/counterpointing and nobody's doing Jack chit to find the answer. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....:wink:

Scottie
09-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I see/read where everybody's coming from, however.....who's gonna strap on a set and contact IBCA? Writing it on here isn't going to get anything done about it. Blaming it on an individual isn't going to get anything done about it, the sanctioning body is the one that sends the list to the Jack, it wasn't Harry.

I don't have a dog in this fight. It just seems silly to keep point/counterpointing and nobody's doing Jack chit to find the answer. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....:wink:

My understanding is that someone has talked with Lynne. Not sure where that went... And I sure wouldn't want to speculate if it's been actually done or not...

DawgPhan
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

How about the Jack people do their own damn leg work and make sure that the teams they invite are they teams they should be inviting.

It appears that you could send in an application with 7 made up grands that you won at your house against 49 imaginary teams sanctioned by the magical imaginary BBQ sanctioned society and get an automatic to the Jack.

They could at least do a little double checking on the automatics...there was only 4-5 of them this year.

ModelMaker
09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Can't we all just get along and invite me to the Jack to wash dishes?
(Lord knows I'll never get there by cookin...)
Ed

Meat@Slim's
09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
How about the Jack people do their own damn leg work and make sure that the teams they invite are they teams they should be inviting.

It appears that you could send in an application with 7 made up grands that you won at your house against 49 imaginary teams sanctioned by the magical imaginary BBQ sanctioned society and get an automatic to the Jack.

They could at least do a little double checking on the automatics...there was only 4-5 of them this year.

Check that: 3-4 of them. Even easier to check. :wink:

Bentley
09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
As Chris stated, it is the integrity of the process that matters. Any team that qualifies fairly deserves entry into the contest, but I have firsthand knowledge which I have openly shared that one contest used to gain entry did not meet qualifying standards per the sanctioning body.

And still, the facts of that non-qualifying contest have not been addressed.

So they way I read what you are saying is...you question the integrity of the way the JD picks the teams? That they are bending their own rules or worst case senerio, just not following them.

That is the way your position comes across to me.

You maybe right...as a minnow in the BBQ community that will never see an invitation to the Brew 102 World Championship, much less the JD, I don't care...I, like Plowboy have always wondered about the alure of the contest. I got to cook with a team in 2006 and the mystic was burst for me after that experience...I was most dissapointed by the judging pool.

Jorge
09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
So they way I read what you are saying is...you question the integrity of the way the JD picks the teams. That they are bending their own rules or worst case senerio, just not following them.

That is the way your position comes across to me.

That's not what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkt

ThomEmery
09-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Debbie talked to Lynn today
We shall see the results soon

spicewine
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
La La La La La La La La:boink:

2Fat
09-07-2010, 04:47 PM

Q
Home State
* If any state is not represented at this point teams that live in the state may be selected
* Parrothead lives in North Dakota. No teams from North Dakota were selected in the other draws. Parrothead goes to the Jack
* If there were multiple teams in the draw from North Dakota they would have a home state draw

Pretty sure John lives in South Dakota---

Scottie
09-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Oh... there's a difference? ;)

Jorge
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM

You have a warrant out in both?

Smoke'n Ice
09-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I understand they are for "cow" support!

Smokesman
09-07-2010, 05:36 PM
"First hand knowledge"??? "Integrity of the Jack"? This is getting ridiculous! If the New Mexico comp were a KCBS event this would be a non-issue because none of this would have ever happened. I read the IBCA rules last night and they are full of holes, vagaries and so poorly written it is no wonder confusion reigned. Harry Soo has been working his arse off to get to the Jack only to potentially be stopped cold by a poorly run comp. He defended himself just like anyone in his position would. Why Harry is being dragged through the dirt when the organizer and IBCA should be the ones with hell to pay. And if there is no one gunning for Harry then you could knock me over with a stick.

The mistakes made at the IBCA event should have ended there and Harry should not be penalized.

2Fat
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM

absolutely!

Bentley
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
That's not what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkt

Like I said in my post, that is the perception I get from his post.

ique
09-07-2010, 05:46 PM

So if anyone is looking for a more reliable way to get into this contest, here is the plan... move to North Dakota :)

Smoke'n Ice
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
My understanding of the KCBS rules and procedure is to keep the results as the rep has final say but to correct any money payouts using KCBS funds but not change the results. There would also be some additional rep training involved but they would not have thrown the organizer and rep under the bus.

I may have heard a rumor that attornies were involved and "roll over and play dead" was the response in lieu of doing the right thing.

Plowboy
09-07-2010, 06:09 PM
So if anyone is looking for a more reliable way to get into this contest, here is the plan... move to North Dakota :)

There's at least one team in North Dakota already: Spitfire. Better odds than in other places I guess.

Sylvie
09-07-2010, 06:28 PM
At least those cali boys stick together...you can say that for them. but yeah his "haters gonna hate" blog post is hardly heartfelt or even informational.

I disagree with you. It was very heartfelt and I know this because I know Harry. We all have our own opinions and I stated mine just as you stated your's. I'll continue to pray that the hater's will be healed of their negative energy.

Cali Girl

Bigmista
09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Neil, I cant remember the last time you even cooked a contest, so your take on contests is a bit askew, you have no idea the level of competition out there anymore, and when a contraverys like this arises, people tend to complain. I even raised an eyebrow. Some people compeate for fun, such as yourself, and others take this a hellava lot more serious.

I competed at Que'n for Kids in June. 10th in Ribs, 5th in Brisket. 57 teams. I wasn't serious at all. Had a ball. Still walked. Sorry you weren't there.

...who's gonna strap on a set and contact IBCA? Writing it on here isn't going to get anything done about it. Blaming it on an individual isn't going to get anything done about it, the sanctioning body is the one that sends the list to the Jack, it wasn't Harry.

I believe I said that earlier. If you have and issue, either talk to that person or contact the sanctioning body. No reason for this conversation to have ever seen the light in this thread which was supposed to be a celebration of those who did qualify.

I wonder who was the first person to bring it up here was?

Debbie talked to Lynn today
We shall see the results soon

JD McGee
09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Can't we all just get along and invite me to the Jack to wash dishes?
(Lord knows I'll never get there by cookin...)
Ed

We got an open spot on our team Ed...plus I HATE doin' dishes...:becky: I kinda ignore them and let swamprb do them...:twisted: I'm sure he wouldn't mind...:cool:

Plowboy
09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
We got an open spot on our team Ed...plus I HATE doin' dishes...:becky: I kinda ignore them and let swamprb do them...:twisted: I'm sure he wouldn't mind...:cool:

I've got a good feeling about you guys walking into the hollar. :thumb:

Rub
09-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Chad, all you have to do is ask me instead of speculating on a bulletin board. As president, I submitted the list of GCs for the FBA. The Albany contest was in it's first year with a proclamation, therefore required a minimum of 15 teams. The Albany contest had 22 teams. Qualifier.

Tim H
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Congrats Tim on making the home state draw albeit a day late. Represent the Buckeye state well! You heading to Nelsonville?

Thanks Matt.

This past weekend was a roller coaster ride of emotions to say the least. What a trhrill it was to see the message board thread "Final Jack Draw Results" and open the file attachment to see that indeed our team was now on the list when I got on the site on Sunday morning.

Yes, I have entered into the Nelsonville, OH contest on the 15th. Stop by the Big Red trailer if you are there.

Jorge
09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Chad, all you have to do is ask me instead of speculating on a bulletin board. As president, I submitted the list of GCs for the FBA. The Albany contest was in it's first year with a proclamation, therefore required a minimum of 15 teams. The Albany contest had 22 teams. Qualifier.

I wanna hug you man! One Jack controversy solved!!!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALX
09-07-2010, 11:38 PM

:clap2::clap2::thumb:...See you dere folks...Great work Jen and Jack........

Jeff Selle
09-08-2010, 12:04 AM
"First hand knowledge"??? "Integrity of the Jack"? This is getting ridiculous! If the New Mexico comp were a KCBS event this would be a non-issue because none of this would have ever happened. I read the IBCA rules last night and they are full of holes, vagaries and so poorly written it is no wonder confusion reigned. Harry Soo has been working his arse off to get to the Jack only to potentially be stopped cold by a poorly run comp. He defended himself just like anyone in his position would. Why Harry is being dragged through the dirt when the organizer and IBCA should be the ones with hell to pay. And if there is no one gunning for Harry then you could knock me over with a stick.

The mistakes made at the IBCA event should have ended there and Harry should not be penalized.

Couldn't have said this better myself... I have hard time believing anyone in SYD's position wouldn't do exactly the same thing. They jumped through the hoops and landed 7 GCs, only to have one DQ'd due to administrative BS. That has been pretty well know in the BBQ world... It had to be considered in the draw.

YankeeBBQ
09-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Couldn't have said this better myself... I have hard time believing anyone in SYD's position wouldn't do exactly the same thing. They jumped through the hoops and landed 7 GCs, only to have one DQ'd due to administrative BS. That has been pretty well know in the BBQ world... It had to be considered in the draw. I like Harry Soo and should probably keep out of this but I feel the need to point out that the team that lost out in all of this is The Smoke Ring team. They were stripped of their GC at the NM event and didn't get a bung in the Jack Draw. That really sucks. He followed the rules as described by the head rep and he paid the ultimate price. Was that Harry's fault ? Maybe or maybe not . If Harry argued to have the rules changed after the event was over then he has some responsibility in the injustice against The Smoke Ring.

Smokesman
09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
I like Harry Soo and should probably keep out of this but I feel the need to point out that the team that lost out in all of this is The Smoke Ring team. They were stripped of their GC at the NM event and didn't get a bung in the Jack Draw. That really sucks. He followed the rules as described by the head rep and he paid the ultimate price. Was that Harry's fault ? Maybe or maybe not . If Harry argued to have the rules changed after the event was over then he has some responsibility in the injustice against The Smoke Ring.

Is any of this Harry's fault? No! SYD showed up to cook at a qualifier for the Jack with no other intention than to cook their best. Like others they followed the rules as understood. Two things happened after the protest I find interesting, 1. At first SYD was named GC and Smoke Ring was named RGC, 2. then later after I would guess the IBCA had a chance to get all the facts together SYD as GC was reinforced when the overall scoring was corrected and Smoke Ring was moved to 4th. Finally, nowhere on the results page does it say the contest was no longer considered a qualifier.

The whole situation is indeed unfortunate. We were not there so all we can do is speculate. It is however obvious from all sides the rules for the NM comp were in question and unclear and the IBCA rules unlike KCBS leave the meats that count towards GC (3 or 4) up to the reps and/or organizer to decide. And from all that I have read it doesn't appear that anyone is questioning the final results. Smoke Ring wins GC if going by 3 meats, SYD wins if going by all 4. Hence the problem! Also, Harry could not have argued to have the rules changed because their is NO RULE in IBCA that says their contests are only 3 meats (Chick, ribs, brisket). And it doesn't appear Harry Soo was the only team to argue the point. But again I wasn't there and in the end can only speculate so this is just my opinion.

Scottie
09-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I know that the IBCA did not submit the NM contest to the Jack as a sanctioned contest. So someone did...

And I completely agree with you Steve. No one even thinks about Jim...

Jorge
09-08-2010, 08:22 AM

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.... I believe that KCBS would have maintained the standings, which would have been Gary Howard getting the GC. Harry Soo would have gotten a check to compensate for the difference in prize money.

As for IBCA, that organization took responsibility for the errors early on and in public. Perhaps you missed that?

ique
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I know that the IBCA did not submit the NM contest to the Jack as a sanctioned contest. So someone did...

And I completely agree with you Steve. No one even thinks about Jim...

Garry

Rub
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I wanna hug you man! One Jack controversy solved!!!:)

That won't be necessary sir, I'm just doing my job :cool:

:wink:

Finney
09-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Garry

See... Gary getting knocked to 4th made Scotty forget his name. :becky:

Scottie
09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Garry

I knew that. My bad. My brain must of been thinking of Jim Ballog from New Mexico.. Or my coffee didn't kick in yet... :thumb:

This whole thing just gives me a migrane. It's ridiculous.

dmprantz
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM

I find this very interesting, but don't have a dog in this hunt and am trying to stay out. I am hoping to understand something about the process though, so will some one please help me:

JD makes rules about what a contest must be for the GC to qualify, correct? Is it then up to each sanctioning body to submit GCs based on those rules? Each team then submits a total list of all qualifying GCs?

From what I am reading, a sanctioning body announced that they do not want a particular comp to count towads the JD draw and did not submit it to JD. Is that correct? Did they some how unsanction the comp after the fact or remove the state championship designator?

dmp

Scottie
09-08-2010, 12:27 PM
yes.

I also don't have a dog in the fight. Other than keeping the image and prestige for the greatest contest (Todd :rolleyes:) that we as BBQ cooks have going. I have a little invested and it is a shame that it has come to this for comp BBQ. A real shame that a tarnish has to be put on the Jack.

Ultimately, the folks at the Jack have to make a decision and live with it. It is their contest and it is a Invitational. They can pull the plug on anyone at anytime. I will be really PO'd if this contest pulls the plug because of this stuff. And yes, Brown-Forman has given it some thought...

ThomEmery
09-08-2010, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=dmprantz;1395296

From what I am reading, a sanctioning body announced that they do not want a particular comp to count towads the JD draw and did not submit it to JD. Is that correct? Did they some how unsanction the comp after the fact or remove the state championship designator?

dmp[/QUOTE]

Not a matter of "unsanctioning"
The event did not meet the qualifier standards
so it was not reported as a qualifier
It was a state championship but lacked the team count at turn in
is my understanding

Sledneck
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Whatever the decision is, it is being looked in to by the folks over at the Jack and they will be making a decision.

Scottie
09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
My understanding is it's not the team count that is ultimately the decision to pull the qualifier status on it. The tickets were pulled from the boxes and there were only 5 teams called, instead of 10 teams, which is normal for IBCA contests and those were the deciding factors. But you know that, as I know your a Head Judge for IBCA... :becky:

Not a matter of "unsanctioning"
The event did not meet the qualifier standards
so it was not reported as a qualifier
It was a state championship but lacked the team count at turn in
is my understanding

dmprantz
09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
My understanding is it's not the team count that is ultimately the decision to pull the qualifier status on it.

This is a big distinction to my question: The team count is specifically required by JD, as is state championship and sanctioning body. Teams called and bucket pickup are not specifically required by JD, so unless the team count was low, the state championship proclaimation was pulled, or the sanctioning body attempted to unsanction the event, it's up to JD to decide that the competition doesn't count, and up to the sanctioning body to request that of JD. It's not the duty of the sanctioning body to omit the qualifying event from JD, nor of a team to not claim the qualifying event. At least how I'm understanding it, but again, I have no interest in this, just trying to see my way through the understanding.

dmp

Jorge
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
This is a big distinction to my question: The team count is specifically required by JD, as is state championship and sanctioning body. Teams called and bucket pickup are not specifically required by JD, so unless the team count was low, the state championship proclaimation was pulled, or the sanctioning body attempted to unsanction the event, it's up to JD to decide that the competition doesn't count, and up to the sanctioning body to request that of JD. It's not the duty of the sanctioning body to omit the qualifying event from JD, nor of a team to not claim the qualifying event. At least how I'm understanding it, but again, I have no interest in this, just trying to see my way through the understanding.

dmp

Not to be difficult, but how do you know what a sanctioning organization is obligated to do in this case?

ThomEmery
09-08-2010, 06:34 PM
My understanding is it's not the team count that is ultimately the decision to pull the qualifier status on it. The tickets were pulled from the boxes and there were only 5 teams called, instead of 10 teams, which is normal for IBCA contests and those were the deciding factors. But you know that, as I know your a Head Judge for IBCA... :becky:

There were less than 25 turn ins
Plus the tickets pulled plus the only 5 teams called
to top off the confusion over how many categories
were being included in the overall
Makes me thankful for K and K Mcintosh
every time I think about this contest

Smokesman
09-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.... I believe that KCBS would have maintained the standings, which would have been Gary Howard getting the GC. Harry Soo would have gotten a check to compensate for the difference in prize money.

As for IBCA, that organization took responsibility for the errors early on and in public. Perhaps you missed that?

Thanks Jorge. Yes, my understanding as well, KCBS would have maintained standings however my point was if this were a KCBS event everyone knows to be in the GC running you have to cook all 4 meats hence this particular meat anomaly wouldn't have occurred - the rules are very clear. Unless I have indeed missed something, the only notation by IBCA regarding this matter is on the results page for the NM comp.

"Only the top 5 places were called as directed by the Promoter - therefore without calling out the other 5 places - the true overall results of the event are not reflected"

Why doesn't it also say "Due to XYZ circumstances this competition is no longer a qualifier yadda yadda yadda" or whatever decision was reached? Such a notation in the online public realm would have gone a long way to clearing up this issue. Everyone at the decision making level knew the possible ramifications this one contest held. We're not talking about a team gaining a single chance at the Jack over another team with only a single chance. We're talking about a team that potentially misses out on an automatic to the Jack based on this decision. That is a big deal!

YankeeBBQ
09-08-2010, 07:05 PM
We're not talking about a team gaining a single chance at the Jack over another team with only a single chance.

Actually that is what I'm talking about. If this contest counts as a qualifier then I believe it's Garry Howard and the Smokering team that should be going to the Jack. That's my opinion and I aint changing it. Garry Howard is a stand up honest good hearted promoter of bbq from way way back and he got screwed and all the whiners that got the results of the contest changed bare some responsibility for that.

Jorge
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks Jorge. Yes, my understanding as well, KCBS would have maintained standings however my point was if this were a KCBS event everyone knows to be in the GC running you have to cook all 4 meats hence this particular meat anomaly wouldn't have occurred - the rules are very clear. Unless I have indeed missed something, the only notation by IBCA regarding this matter is on the results page for the NM comp.

"Only the top 5 places were called as directed by the Promoter - therefore without calling out the other 5 places - the true overall results of the event are not reflected"

Why doesn't it also say "Due to XYZ circumstances this competition is no longer a qualifier yadda yadda yadda" or whatever decision was reached? Such a notation in the online public realm would have gone a long way to clearing up this issue. Everyone at the decision making level knew the possible ramifications this one contest held. We're not talking about a team gaining a single chance at the Jack over another team with only a single chance. We're talking about a team that potentially misses out on an automatic to the Jack based on this decision. That is a big deal!

I understand what you meant much better now, thanks for clarifying it for me:becky:

I can't speak for IBCA. Shortly after that contest it was pretty clear to me that it wouldn't count as a qualifier due to the issues at that contest.

I do not have a dog in this fight. I've got an opinion, based on FACTS that I've been able to gather. I took the time to do that investigating so that I'd have a better handle on the discussion here. When everything is said and done I may share that opinion. For now, I'd appreciate it if members could stick to the facts and avoid speculation. If members have an opinion then they are free to share it within the rules. Just because someone is a thousand miles away tonight, doesn't mean that you won't be cooking next to them one day.

The additional comments aren't directed towards the Smokesman, but to members in general. Being a moderator this week has taken some of the pleasure out of BBQ for me, and I'd hate to see the same happen to others if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Diva
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
This is a big deal but I don't know if it's a bigger deal than
how Garry got screwed. But, hey, that's just me.

Edit: I wonder if the Head Judge of the NM contest received any type of disciplinary action or was terminated over that fiasco. If that person was there representing IBCA, it doesn't seem they did a very good job or stood their ground.

Lynn
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I was told that I needed to come over and read this forum on the subject of the Jack Daniels draw and Harry Soo.

On the day of the event in NM - it was determined that the contest was a 4 meat event and all would count toward GC - that being said with all of the controversy - I spoke with the IBCA representative and was told that in no category were there 25 entries turn-in. At that time, after the Promoter asked that only 5 places be called, I told everyone involved that it would not be counted as a qualifying State Championship.

I did not report this contest as a qualifier to the Jack - but Harry did - which prompted an email from the Jack to ask about it. My response to their email was - it was a State Championship but due to the controversy of the number of teams and the number of entires I didn't submit it as a qualifier.

I have spoke with Debbie Christian from the Jack on several occassions and this matter has been discussed - therefore the decision as to whether or not Harry will be allowed to count the 7 wins will be made by the Jack.

Good Luck to all that were drawn.

IBCA is a respectible organization and we continue to grow - If those in doubt would just come and cook with us once or come and judge one of our events they would understand more about how our system works instead of bad mouthing the organization everytime something comes up.

I didn't want to get into this conversation but I deemed it necessary after reading all of the post.

Thanks for hearing my side of the story.

dmprantz
09-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Not to be difficult, but how do you know what a sanctioning organization is obligated to do in this case?

Short answer is that I don't know as I have not read the documentation. I am just trying to make sure that I understand the facts correctly. My guess is that an organization's obligations are to be honest and forthcoming, and to not try to tell JD how to enforce its own rules. I would expect a team's obligations to be the same. Again, I am trying to make sure I understand the facts, and will probably bow out of the conversation now, but still read. I thought the issue was over bucket locations and 5 vs 10 teams being called, as did others, but apparently according to Thom and Lynn, it was also about there being < 25 teams, which changes things for me. If there truly were less than 25 teams and it was not a first year comp, it is interesting to say the least.

dmp

DawgPhan
09-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I was told that I needed to come over and read this forum on the subject of the Jack Daniels draw and Harry Soo.

On the day of the event in NM - it was determined that the contest was a 4 meat event and all would count toward GC - that being said with all of the controversy - I spoke with the IBCA representative and was told that in no category were there 25 entries turn-in. At that time, after the Promoter asked that only 5 places be called, I told everyone involved that it would not be counted as a qualifying State Championship.

I did not report this contest as a qualifier to the Jack - but Harry did - which prompted an email from the Jack to ask about it. My response to their email was - it was a State Championship but due to the controversy of the number of teams and the number of entires I didn't submit it as a qualifier.

I have spoke with Debbie Christian from the Jack on several occassions and this matter has been discussed - therefore the decision as to whether or not Harry will be allowed to count the 7 wins will be made by the Jack.

IBCA is a respectible organization and we continue to grow - If those in doubt would just come and cook with us once or come and judge one of our events they would understand more about how our system works instead of bad mouthing the organization everytime something comes up.

I didn't want to get into this conversation but I deemed it necessary after reading all of the post.

I doubt you will find people lining up for a contest where the rules can change the day of the contest and not everyone at the contest understands which categories matter. at least not anyone with any options.

YankeeBBQ
09-08-2010, 08:18 PM
On the day of the event in NM - it was determined that the contest was a 4 meat event and all would count toward GC -

If those in doubt would just come and cook with us once or come and judge one of our events they would understand more about how our system works instead of bad mouthing the organization everytime something comes up.

Thanks for confirming that the rules changed on the day of the contest. (I believe it was actually right after the contest). You have cleared up any doubt I had, no need to put myself through what Garry had to endure.

ThomEmery
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Background on the meats
In Texas it is Three Meats
In the Western Pit IBCA it is Four

Of course all this should have been
made completely clear long before
the contest started

Smokesman
09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Background on the meats
In it is Texas Three Meats
In the Western Pit IBCA it is Four

Of course all this should have been
made completely clear long before
the contest started

So in New Mexico it should have been 3 1/2 meats! : )

Sorry couldn't resist.

Smokedelic
09-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I doubt you will find people lining up for a contest where the rules can change the day of the contest and not everyone at the contest understands which categories matter. at least not anyone with any options.
To be fair Chad, I would venture a guess that you've never cooked, or even been to an IBCA contest.

We have several of them in Oklahoma, and I've cooked in most of them, even when I've had options to cook elsewhere. The 3 main meats that count towards the GC, without fail, are half chicken, pork spare ribs, and brisket. A 4th category can be added, at the discretion of the organizer, which can run from pork butt to fajitas to beans, depending on the location, and again at the organizers discretion, may or may not count toward the championship.

The fact that it wasn't clear to all the competitors at the contest in question that pork was a 4th category that counted toward the overall championship, is not a reflection on IBCA, or the contests that they sanction. I think it is more a reflection of the head judge and/or that particular organizer.

And yes, I understand that IBCA supplied the head judge, but if you're using that as an excuse to boycott an IBCA contest, then, using your same argument, you'll be boycotting KCBS contests also. I can think of a contest or 2 where a KCBS rep made an error.

I, for one, appreciate Lynn clearing the air on this matter. I think she has made a fair attempt to convey where IBCA stands on this issue.

Sledneck
09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Correct me if im wrong but the jack requires chicken, beef and pork. Doesnt have to be 4 categories / Did i miss something?

Smokedelic
09-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Correct me if im wrong but the jack requires chicken, beef and pork. Doesnt have to be 4 categories / Did i miss something?

No you didn't miss anything.

I think the sticking point is that the Jack requires that a sanctioned, qualifying contest, with a state proclamation, have 25 teams that cook all the required meats. Along with the other irregularities mentioned previously, I think the sanctioning body did not feel comfortable that the contest in question met the qualifying requirements.

I know concerns were raised about a few KCBS contests that failed to meet the same criteria.

...but I could be wrong.:tape:

DawgPhan
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
To be fair Chad, I would venture a guess that you've never cooked, or even been to an IBCA contest.

We have several of them in Oklahoma, and I've cooked in most of them, even when I've had options to cook elsewhere. The 3 main meats that count towards the GC, without fail, are half chicken, pork spare ribs, and brisket. A 4th category can be added, at the discretion of the organizer, which can run from pork butt to fajitas to beans, depending on the location, and again at the organizers discretion, may or may not count toward the championship.

The fact that it wasn't clear to all the competitors at the contest in question that pork was a 4th category that counted toward the overall championship, is not a reflection on IBCA, or the contests that they sanction. I think it is more a reflection of the head judge and/or that particular organizer.

And yes, I understand that IBCA supplied the head judge, but if you're using that as an excuse to boycott an IBCA contest, then, using your same argument, you'll be boycotting KCBS contests also. I can think of a contest or 2 where a KCBS rep made an error.

I, for one, appreciate Lynn clearing the air on this matter. I think she has made a fair attempt to convey where IBCA stands on this issue.

They goof'd. They goof'd in a very public way. I would say most folks in internet bbq land have very little experience with IBCA events and their first real experience with it is hearing that the rules changed after the contest was over, the awards were handed out, and the folks were leaving. That leaves a real sour taste in most folks mouths. Now to see that the event in question was then used to gain an automatic to the Jack doesnt help matters.

I am not boycotting IBCA, just saying that they aren't making a lot of friends in internet bbq land by telling folks that they changed the rules on the day of the contest.

Sylvie
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM

This is where we insert an expression icon for "shock" "disbelief" "not my problem/fault" "I'm not responsible" "I didn't do it" and "I really don't want to get involved- but i did". Give me a break.

Smokedelic
09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
This is where we insert an expression icon for "shock" "disbelief" "not my problem/fault" "I'm not responsible" "I didn't do it" and "I really don't want to get involved- but i did". Give me a break.
Well, at least you're still open-minded about the whole thing.:drama:

NorthwestBBQ
09-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I am going to The Jack with JD and Brian and I'm very grateful for that. Can someone tell me exactly where the tents setup in Lynchburg? A Map pic with the area circled or the address would be most helpful! Thanks! :becky:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lynchburg+tn&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Lynchburg,+TN&gl=us&ei=dliITMK1EoiWsgPmvKGwCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q8gEwAA

RobKC
09-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm sure the right decision will be made to preserve the integrity and tradition of the contest. If not, there may be a label change coming.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=370&pictureid=2799 :wink:

SMITTYtheSMOKER
09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Teams set up in the black area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/SMITTYtheCARDINAL/lynchburg20pic11.jpg

NorthwestBBQ
09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow, I can't believe you guys! :-P

Stop beating a dead horse. http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/images/smilies/beatdeadhorse5.gif

I think Jorge has been very contemplative. :clap:

Jorge
09-08-2010, 11:10 PM
They goof'd. They goof'd in a very public way. I would say most folks in internet bbq land have very little experience with IBCA events and their first real experience with it is hearing that the rules changed after the contest was over, the awards were handed out, and the folks were leaving. That leaves a real sour taste in most folks mouths. Now to see that the event in question was then used to gain an automatic to the Jack doesnt help matters.

I am not boycotting IBCA, just saying that they aren't making a lot of friends in internet bbq land by telling folks that they changed the rules on the day of the contest.

At the same time, Lynn and IBCA stepped up after the fact and took responsibility for the errors. They could have ducked their shoulders, but didn't.

If something similar has happened in the past, I'm not aware of it. This is pretty close to a 'perfect storm' event.

At the end of her post, all she asked is that people give the organization a chance. If folks choose not to, that's up to them.

I'll say this as well...she knew she'd take some shots coming in here and laying the facts out, yet did it anyway. I respect, and appreciate that.

NorthwestBBQ
09-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Teams set up in the black area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/SMITTYtheCARDINAL/lynchburg20pic11.jpg

Thank you, thank you very much! :thumb:

Vince RnQ
09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Michael, unless you have a large RV, it is most likely that your team will be placed in the lower left area of the section that Smitty marked in black. If you use Google Earth to look at the same area you have mapped, you will see that there is a large oval that is actually a horse track with a railing. The International teams will be setting up on the infield, the actual track will be empty and the smaller sized US teams will be placed around the railing and across the street.

NorthwestBBQ
09-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Michael, unless you have a large RV, it is most likely that your team will be placed in the lower left area of the section that Smitty marked in black. If you use Google Earth to look at the same area you have mapped, you will see that there is a large oval that is actually a horse track with a railing. The International teams will be setting up on the infield, the actual track will be empty and the smaller sized US teams will be placed around the railing and across the street.

I really appreaciate the info, VisionQuest220. We will be staying in a hotel nearby, and we will have a rented car. Is there a parking lot for the comp teams? We will, of course, be there very early, every day.

Jorge
09-09-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm going to roll the dice here and post as a member/moderator and ask members for a favor.

The ongoing discussion/debate about the Jack draw hasn't been easy. I've talked to a lot of people to learn about the draw, what happened at a particular contest (from multiple people that were there), done research on the internet for various things, and learned a lot about what the IBCA does in the western US, etc....

My day is full tomorrow. It starts before the sun comes up, and will end close to midnight. It's full because I'm leaving for California early on Friday. The reason for the trip is to spend time with my wife and renew our wedding vows. NOTHING is going to interfere with that.

I spent time I didn't have learning what the issues were, and obtaining the facts to better moderate any discussion that might have come up. I've done my best to remain as objective and neutral as possible. The decision is in the hands of the folks in Lynchburg at this point and what happens will happen. If folks still care to discuss it then by all means do it. Just please keep it civil. The other moderators have deferred to me on this topic. As of tomorrow morning I'm done with it until I return home on Tuesday. If you want to voice your opinion, I'd keep it well within the rules. If I get a call from another moderator about this topic, and I choose to answer it, my advice will be to lock it up and end it.

The favor I'm asking is that I don't get that call.

For the folks that are traveling to cook, safe travels and best of luck. For the folks staying home, best of luck with the honey-do list and enjoy what rest you can get. For the folks fortunate enough to be in for the Jack and the Royal best of luck with all of your preperations and enjoy the magical weeks ahead of you!

NorthwestBBQ
09-09-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm going to roll the dice here and post as a member/moderator and ask members for a favor.

The ongoing discussion/debate about the Jack draw hasn't been easy. I've talked to a lot of people to learn about the draw, what happened at a particular contest (from multiple people that were there), done research on the internet for various things, and learned a lot about what the IBCA does in the western US, etc....

My day is full tomorrow. It starts before the sun comes up, and will end close to midnight. It's full because I'm leaving for California early on Friday. The reason for the trip is to spend time with my wife and renew our wedding vows. NOTHING is going to interfere with that.

I spent time I didn't have learning what the issues were, and obtaining the facts to better moderate any discussion that might have come up. I've done my best to remain as objective and neutral as possible. The decision is in the hands of the folks in Lynchburg at this point and what happens will happen. If folks still care to discuss it then by all means do it. Just please keep it civil. The other moderators have deferred to me on this topic. As of tomorrow morning I'm done with it until I return home on Tuesday. If you want to voice your opinion, I'd keep it well within the rules. If I get a call from another moderator about this topic, and I choose to answer it, my advice will be to lock it up and end it.

For the folks that are traveling to cook, safe travels and best of luck. For the folks staying home, best of luck with the honey-do list and enjoy what rest you can get. For the folks fortunate enough to be in for the Jack and the Royal best of luck with all of your preperations and enjoy the magical weeks ahead of you!

Jorge, you have done a great job here. Enjoy your trip to California! I look forward to meeting you at The Jack.

Vince RnQ
09-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I really appreaciate the info, VisionQuest220. We will be staying in a hotel nearby, and we will have a rented car. Is there a parking lot for the comp teams? We will, of course, be there very early, every day.

Actually, there is a very high likelihood that you'll be able to park your vehicle right at your sight, depending on how much space you need and what your cook site set up is comprised of. The last two years, we've had our vehicle parked right at our site and hopefully that will happen again this year.

Finney
09-09-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm sure the right decision will be made to preserve the integrity and tradition of the contest. If not, there may be a label change coming.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=370&pictureid=2799 :wink:

That's some funny sheet right there. :becky:

Scottie
09-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks for coming over Lynn.

Scottie

JD McGee
09-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Actually, there is a very high likelihood that you'll be able to park your vehicle right at your sight, depending on how much space you need and what your cook site set up is comprised of. The last two years, we've had our vehicle parked right at our site and hopefully that will happen again this year.

We were planning on having an RV at our site...but that fell through...we will now be working out of our 6x10 trailer and 2 10x10 pop-ups...business as usual...:becky:

Vince RnQ
09-09-2010, 08:22 AM
We were planning on having an RV at our site...but that fell through...we will now be working out of our 6x10 trailer and 2 10x10 pop-ups...business as usual...:becky:

The area around the track will have lots of teams and is probably where both our teams will be this year. We also work from under 10' x 10' canopies but there will be all kinds of set ups there.

Be safe on the drive!

Scottie
09-09-2010, 09:00 AM

i think they really only try and move cars over in the RV section, that are in the road... Over by the totem poll area, it doesn't really matter.

Ron_L
09-09-2010, 09:10 AM
The other moderators have deferred to me on this topic.

That doesn't mean that we won't be watching :mod:

As Jorge asks, please keep it civil. We will be enforcing the Brethren rules while Jorge is out on a well deserved break with his wife.

Scottie
09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
That doesn't mean that we won't be watching :mod:

As Jorge asks, please keep it civil. We will be enforcing the Brethren rules while Jorge is out on a well deserved break with his wife.

He left the keys... Don't worry... :heh:

ModelMaker
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Have a good trip Jorge.
I'm pretty tired of this thread also.
I'm gone.
Ed

Smokesman
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
This is a big deal but I don't know if it's a bigger deal than how Garry got screwed. But, hey, that's just me.

Depends on your perspective. I know if I were in Garry's shoes I to would be pissed beyond words but as I've said earlier it was the IBCA rep and the organizer who screwed up the works...not Harry!

Proper due diligence on the part of the Jack. I can't imagine this email from the Jack and the reply would have occurred after the draw was released so the Jack looked at it before and decided to accept it thus giving Harry and SYD an auto.

Only after the brouhaha ensued? Hmmmm?

The label remake is funny but isn't it also appropriate to give Harry Soo the benefit of the doubt and indeed a little respect. The man in a very short time has become one of the top BBQ cooks in the country. He showed up to cook at a contest, the screw-up that occurred was not his fault.

This is pretty close to a 'perfect storm' event.

Your not kidding...and of course why we are all talking about it. But as others have said it IS time to move on. It is however unfortunate that politics and agendas show up even in the world of competitive BBQ. Like so many I too consider the Jack to be the ultimate and hope to one day compete amongst the best. Congratulations to everyone heading to Lynchburg this year!

Scottie
09-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Proper due diligence on the part of the Jack. I can't imagine this email from the Jack and the reply would have occurred after the draw was released so the Jack looked at it before and decided to accept it thus giving Harry and SYD an auto.

Let's see. For someone that doesn't know the process you have it all figured out. Gotta give you credit...

In reality. teams have to have all application for the draw submitted by August 31. Which meant the Jack folks had 2 days to get over 300 application checked and approved through all sanctioning bodies? I know I don't live in a perfect world, but you are asking alot for there to be no oversight on the organizers at the Jack. If you want to point fingers. Point them at the team that filled in a erroneous application in the first place. All of this would of never happened if the contest, which EVERYONE knew was not a qualifier, was submitted? Well, almost everyone...

and there isn't any politics or agendas involved, maybe some folks with blinders on. What right is right. No one gets a free ride at the Jack. No one.

timzcardz
09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah lah blah blah blah

Congratulations to everyone heading to Lynchburg this year!

Finally, the most important thing buried in the end.

Congratulations to all that are heading to Lynchburg, and congratulations to all that were good enough to even be in the draw!

Good Luck!

ThomEmery
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
LOL Dust LOL
He is teasing Guys

Scottie
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Anyone know how you can access old interviews on Greg Rempe's site? I'm thinking that Harry said in that interview that he didn't have enough and that the New Mexico was not a qualifier... Shouldn't that put that to an end?

Long live the Jack!!!

BobBrisket
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Let's re-post this one again!

Bob

ThomEmery
09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Harry has withdrawn his name from the Jack
This conversation should turn to all the teams that will be there

BobBrisket
09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
LOL Dust LOL
He is teasing Guys

Let's not tease. That can many times lead to MORE problems. :thumb:

Bob

Diva
09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Slap Yo Daddy withdrew from the Jack.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1219

Dustaway
Lynn Shrivers, Head of the IBCA sanctioning body, and I have mutually resolved our miscommunication regarding the qualifying status of the New Mexico contest which we won on June 26, 2010. After careful consideration, Lynn has officially declared that contest as a non-Jack qualifier. I have accepted Lynn’s decision on this matter.
Consequently, the application I submitted for the 2010 Jack Daniels Invitational did not have the 7 GCs needed to qualify for an automatic draw. Lynn has agreed to 1) flag the June 26 results page so it is clear that the NM event was a non-qualifier, 2) establish a process to flag all future contest pages which are deemed non-qualifiers (Jack and Royal) so teams do not misinterpret these official pages, 3) develop procedures so mistakes that occurred at the NM contest can be eliminated or minimized so no team experiences such a situation in the future. These recommendations will restore my confidence in the IBCA sanctioning process. We fully intend to continue our support of the IBCA and participate in their contests.
I’ve spoken to Steve May, JD Director, and Debbie Christian, JD Organizer, to respectfully request my automatic draw application be withdrawn. They have graciously allowed me to do so. We will not be going to the Jack this year.
If you have been supporting us and following our journey the past three years, you will likely have strong emotions to learn what I have decided to do. I ask that you take a deep breath and let it go. There is no need to expend any more energy on this closed matter.
Be assured we will continue our journey forward and make best efforts to earn a spot at the Jack for 2011. Our Focus is intact, our Faith in our ability is strong, and our Fire burns undiminished. We want to wish our fellow California team Daryl Smith of Smitty’s Smoke Patrol the best of luck at the Jack in October.
See you on the trail.
Best, Harry

admin edited to insert into quote box. Phil. :)

Dustaway
directly from Harrys blog site

Jeff Selle
09-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Complete shame ... man that really sucks...

Groundhog66
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Complete shame ... man that really sucks...

I agree

musicmanryann
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Has anyone read Rod Gray's new Blog post on preparing to go to the Jack? He outlines everything you should do while you're there to make the most of it. I got goosebumps reading it. I am so damned excited we were lucky enough to get drawn I can barely contain myself!

Here is a link to the blog (I hope it is okay mods)

http://pelletenvy.blogspot.com/2010/09/so-its-your-first-time-to-cook-jack.html

monty3777
09-09-2010, 02:33 PM
It was a real honor to cook at the contest in Ames last weekend where 4 of the teams were heading to the Jack: Boondoggle, Big T'z, Tippy Canoe, and Swine Assassins. You guys make us all proud!

Smokesman
09-09-2010, 03:00 PM
This news is very unfortunate. Harry Soo is a class act!

Scottie - under the circumstances I guess we have to agree to disagree. Good luck on the BBQ trail the rest of the year. And again good luck to all headed to the Jack!

Plowboy
09-09-2010, 03:04 PM
In my opinion, he made the right choice. Fault or no fault, it was looking pretty lose-lose for Harry Soo.

afreemaniii
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Has anyone read Rod Gray's new Blog post on preparing to go to the Jack? He outlines everything you should do while you're there to make the most of it. I got goosebumps reading it. I am so damned excited we were lucky enough to get drawn I can barely contain myself!

Here is a link to the blog (I hope it is okay mods)

http://pelletenvy.blogspot.com/2010/09/so-its-your-first-time-to-cook-jack.html

Thanks for the link. We were lucky this year too and he's a great source to get information from.

smknwhlswife
09-09-2010, 03:34 PM
For those of you who would like to talk about the happenings at this years Jack, the excitement and fun, I have started a new Jack Daniel's BBQ thread. Time to start over!

ThomEmery
09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
amen

pat
09-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Lock it down

Bentley
09-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Harry ask folks to let it go, I will respect that and modify this post since I cant delete it!

Jeff Selle
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I'll let it go too, but ponder this as we all move on to the Jack celebrations... Harry was not considered in any of the state draws where he won his GCs. So, by withdrawing he got screwed twice on this one... just take a minute to put yourself in those shoes...

FamilyManBBQ
09-10-2010, 01:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXTlyLR1wgQ

NO HARRY!!!

You're the man!!