PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Dollars

Mister Bob
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm curious to know what form of advertising, other than the all important 'word of mouth', you guys believe gets you the most bang for your buck?

Church circulars, diner place mats, yellow pages, newspapers, windshield or mailbox flyers, etc. I'm talking about a small startup operation, not a well established big time catering company.

cba252
09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I am trying the same thing with a start-up venture. Have you tried Craig's List or Facebook? Don't underestimate their use. I am looking forward to what others post.

bluetang
09-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I have no experience with food ads, but I have advertised for retail hardware, dive charter, garment printing,scuba instruction and pool leak detection. To get your name out and in front of your customers is paramount. For me, all the media failed and cost me plenty. As it turned out for me, it was pounding the pavement and word of mouth advertising was best . But as cba252 says, cl and fb are free and definetly good avenues .

jbrink01
09-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Facebook and local newspaper. Also, every benefit and charity thing we can do that gets publicity, plus local events.

LostNation
09-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Anything you can do to get your name out in the local comunity helps. We are doing a benifit cook bike ride for a homless shelter with 250-400 riders. Any press you get will bump you up on Google. I've done 3 weddings for out of state customers just by google presence.

I just placed an add in the local high school football program. It's cheep and may lead to the easy drop offs.

5-0 BBQ
09-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I am just word of mouth and it does well for us. As a police officer here in MD I get a lot of my work from police and fire.

We also own a BBQ equipment company, that gets us some catering work.

lazybonesmoke1
09-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Park your smoker/trailer somewhere on a busy corner with your phone number on a big sign. Keep doing it in the same location consistantly. People will call.

Smiter Q
09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
As someone who has a background in sales and marketing, I am going to recommended two very good resources.
For $35 bucks or so you can have both books, and you could literally reap $1000's
for the small investment.

1)Book Yourself Sold - Michael Port - (6 set of CD's)
Gives you a comprehensive pep talk and detailed guide to get your head in the game of sales.
Stresses the idea that your time is money, and how best to use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Yourself-Solid-Reliable-Marketing/dp/1596591358

2) Guerrilla Marketing - Jay Levinson
Describes great tips and layouts for inexpensive but very helpful marketing ideas
http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Marketing-4th-Inexpensive-Strategies/dp/0618785914/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284072547&sr=1-2