PDA

View Full Version : Norwalk BARBQ PIT LOOKING FOR TEAMs

norwalkbbq
08-30-2010, 12:34 PM
We still have room this is the team list so far: Don't forget OVER $ 23,000.00 GUARANTEED.. 26 teams signed up as of August 18th:To sign up today go to http://www.norwalkbbq.com/2010App2_distributed.pdf

Burning Hot Unknowns
Come and Get It!
Cousins BBQ
Flying Porkers
G&G's Whiff of Smoke Que
Good Smoke BBQ
Hog Feathers BBQ
Hot Hands BBQ
Im a Hog for Que, Baby!
J.C.'s Wicked BBQ
Jack's Down Home BBQ
Jacked Up BBQ
Jacko Que
Jeffs Cuisine
Lakeside Smokers
Meat @ Slims
Moonbeam BBQ
Pork Butt and Chicken Legs
Red Neck Cavair
Red Planet BBQ
Sentrista Natural Born Grillers
Smokeadelic
Sweet Chicken
T'N'T Dynamite BBQ
Whistleville Smokers
ZBQ

YankeeBBQ
08-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I just attempted to sign up but the online form wouldn't work.

wickedbbq'r
08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
I had the same problem as well. I had to copy, paste, and send in via email. Try it that way.

norwalkbbq
08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
trying to get you answer back quickly...However if you fill it out and print it you can fax to me for now @ 203-787-5820 its on 24hrs a day Hopefully the IT people give me an answer quickly talk to ya soon
John Vuoso
203-807-8227
I just attempted to sign up but the online form wouldn't work.

norwalkbbq
08-31-2010, 05:43 AM
It seems its about browser compatibility...we have received three apps on line yesterday afternoon. So, I guess it works...... let me Know

trying to get you answer back quickly...However if you fill it out and print it you can fax to me for now @ 203-787-5820 its on 24hrs a day Hopefully the IT people give me an answer quickly talk to ya soon
John Vuoso
203-807-8227

GEMINI991N
08-31-2010, 02:00 PM
How many teams signed up as of now ?we still have room this is the team list so far: Don't forget over $ 23,000.00 guaranteed.. 26 teams signed up as of august 18th:to sign up today go to http://www.norwalkbbq.com/2010app2_distributed.pdf

burning hot unknowns
come and get it!
Cousins bbq
flying porkers
g&g's whiff of smoke que
good smoke bbq
hog feathers bbq
hot hands bbq
im a hog for que, baby!
J.c.'s wicked bbq
jack's down home bbq
jacked up bbq
jacko que
jeffs cuisine
lakeside smokers
meat @ slims
moonbeam bbq
pork butt and chicken legs
red neck cavair
red planet bbq
sentrista natural born grillers
smokeadelic
sweet chicken
t'n't dynamite bbq
whistleville smokers
zbq

norwalkbbq
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
35 teams signed up as of August 31th::clap2::clap2::clap2:

All Fired Up BBQ
Burning Hot Unknowns
Come and Get It!
Cousins BBQ
Flying Porkers
G&G's Whiff of Smoke Que
Good Smoke BBQ
Hog Feathers BBQ
Hot Hands BBQ
Im a Hog for Que, Baby!
I Smell Smoke!!!
J.C.'s Wicked BBQ
Jack's Down Home BBQ
Jacked Up BBQ
Jacko Que
Jeffs Cuisine
Lakeside Smokers
Meat @ Slims
Moonbeam BBQ
Pork Butt and Chicken Legs
Q Haven BBQ
Red Neck Cavair
Red Planet BBQ
Sentrista Natural Born Grillers
Smokeadelic
Sweet Chicken
The Perfect Butt
Three Men and a Baby Back
T'N'T Dynamite BBQ
Whistleville Smokers
Yabba Dabba Que!
ZBQ
+ 3 more applications pending
How many teams signed up as of now ?

GEMINI991N
09-01-2010, 06:13 AM
What will you be serving for the team dinner?

pigmaker23
09-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Seafood

What will you be serving for the team dinner?

norwalkbbq
09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Thank you Eric..Or if you like we have chicken tenders, onion blossoms, French fries, fried calamari,mussels or corn on the cob I know I forgot something o well ....:confused: Seafood

Skip
09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Wow so the non seafood eater get to be like their picky 5 year old and eat chicken tenders lol Are they from Mc Donalds too

ique
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow so the non seafood eater get to be like their picky 5 year old and eat chicken tenders lol Are they from Mc Donalds too

I thought the only non seafood eater were picky 5 year olds. :confused:

Skip
09-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I thought the only non seafood eater were picky 5 year olds. :confused:

Grandma always said, "Your way isn't the only way." :wink::wink::wink:

My curse is my sense of smell. I've tried and tried because I don't want it to be some leftover childhood ninny fit food scene. Stranger still is the fact that fish sticks were my chicken finger as a kid. Mom would toaster up a few as a lunch or snack. I'd love to be able to overcome it and Julie will concur. I have had to leave places because of the fishy smell. Its unpleasant. I go home smelling of it as well. I know I will catch some ribbing on this and that is fine :crazy::crazy::crazy: but there really can be someone who does not like seafood without being a ninny. :-D:-D:-D
The fact that we are discounted and relegated to happy meal status is insulting.

ique
09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Grandma always said, "Your way isn't the only way." :wink::wink::wink:

Well I'll try to convert you sometime. Maybe you havent had super fresh fish properly cooked... :)

Skip
09-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Well I'll try to convert you sometime. Maybe you havent had super fresh fish properly cooked... :)

I would like to take you up on that. Being on Long Island I have had the fresh fish; even caught myself a bunch but I may never have had it cooked correctly.

bmanMA
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
mmm, i need me some oystas!

I see that the inspection is mighty early on Saturday. Is there a deadline to have the meat inspection done, or can we arrive at a more leisurely pace and get inspected on the fly?

norwalkbbq
09-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Not sure,will find out and return with answer...
John Vuoso
Norwalk BARBQU PIT
Cell #203-807-8227

I see that the inspection is mighty early on Saturday. Is there a deadline to have the meat inspection done, or can we arrive at a more leisurely pace and get inspected on the fly?

GEMINI991N
09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Can you leak the INGREDIANTS for Iron Chef? :tape:

CBQ
09-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Still carrying the grudge from last year's dinner, eh? :becky:

norwalkbbq
09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
NO:roll: Nice tryCan you leak the INGREDIANTS for Iron Chef? :tape:

GEMINI991N
09-04-2010, 05:51 AM
What's wrong with chicken tenders? :thumb:

CBQ
09-04-2010, 10:42 AM
What kind of clams will be provided for the chowda...uh chowder?

norwalkbbq
09-04-2010, 01:36 PM
UNFORTUNATELY NOT RHODE ISLAND CLAMS ...CT LOCAL CLAMS SORRY.....:heh:What kind of clams will be provided for the chowda...uh chowder?

norwalkbbq
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Nothing there actually good !:becky:What's wrong with chicken tenders? :thumb:

bmanMA
09-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Was there an answer to this? I imagine other Brethren in the area may also be curious.

norwalkbbq
09-05-2010, 07:16 PM
No, But here it is 08:30 am Meat Inspection Begins - NEBS all grilling / KCBS. I wouldn't take that risk and get DQ... :doh:
John VuosoWas there an answer to this? I imagine other Brethren in the area may also be curious.

trohrs123
09-06-2010, 07:27 AM
regarding the iron chef and anything butt categories: are the standard 9 by 9 inch styrophome boxes being provided or will it be a different size box or will it be open to the competitior to bring on platters/plates?

nancee
09-06-2010, 09:27 AM
yea...trust me its not much fun...

nancee
09-06-2010, 09:28 AM
If its NEBS rules, I would think its all 9x9s

nancee
09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
So anyone who wants or is willing to come out and lend us hand either day next weekend it would be deeply appreciated. Plus Oyster Festival is a blast; the music is great and there's lots for the partner/family to do. Thanks

norwalkbbq
09-06-2010, 11:16 AM
WE supply 9x9 boxes for all events...... this year we went green absolutely no Styrofoam allowed on field..... :hand:
John Vuosoregarding the iron chef and anything butt categories: are the standard 9 by 9 inch styrophome boxes being provided or will it be a different size box or will it be open to the competitior to bring on platters/plates?

norwalkbbq
09-06-2010, 11:20 AM
By the way I remember that last year well ,so here goes, 9x9 boxes that we provide is it... How's that and this will not change promise.........
John Vuoso:becky:regarding the iron chef and anything butt categories: are the standard 9 by 9 inch styrophome boxes being provided or will it be a different size box or will it be open to the competitior to bring on platters/plates?

nancee
09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
works for me!!! btw, what are they made of if no foam?

trohrs123
09-06-2010, 04:30 PM
last year propane ,electric etc. were allowed as heat sources for the peoples choice wings etc will it be the same this year? ...wings chowder chili iron chef and anything butt?

norwalkbbq
09-06-2010, 05:44 PM
All the types you mentioned are allowed like last year....:-D
John Vuosolast year propane ,electric etc. were allowed as heat sources for the peoples choice wings etc will it be the same this year? ...wings chowder chili iron chef and anything butt?

norwalkbbq
09-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Recycled paperworks for me!!! btw, what are they made of if no foam?

Diva
09-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Recycled paper

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but, have you tested them? I know they had "green" boxes at a contest a couple of years ago and once the meat got in there, they leaked, sunk in, etc. It was a bad deal.

I would suggest testing them as soon as possible by putting approximately one pound of meat in there with some juices and let it sit for 15 minutes. That way, if it works, you know it. If it doesn't, you have time to get something else.

dreed
09-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Will anyone have any extra Bovine Bold at Norwalk, I could use a bottle or two.

norwalkbbq
09-07-2010, 04:57 PM
No not at all, the boxes are used at Whole Foods. Your BBQ will be in that box for approximately 6 to 15 minutes tops, no problem. However, 2 hours or longer ,depending on liquid,soaks right through...... We have 500 of old reliable in stock so, no worries!Thanks so much for your input!:thumb:
John Vuoso
Norwalk BBqI don't mean to rain on your parade, but, have you tested them? I know they had "green" boxes at a contest a couple of years ago and once the meat got in there, they leaked, sunk in, etc. It was a bad deal.

I would suggest testing them as soon as possible by putting approximately one pound of meat in there with some juices and let it sit for 15 minutes. That way, if it works, you know it. If it doesn't, you have time to get something else.

Skip
09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
No not at all, the boxes are used at Whole Foods. Your BBQ will be in that box for approximately 6 to 15 minutes tops, no problem. However, 2 hours or longer ,depending on liquid,soaks right through...... We have 500 of old reliable in stock so, no worries!Thanks so much for your input!:thumb:
John Vuoso
Norwalk BBq

Wow Steph they use them at Whole Foods......BBQ turn in central. :becky::becky::becky:

CBQ
09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
John Vuoso
Norwalk BBq

Are these exactly the same size? Merrimack used boxes with slightly smaller bottoms this year, and it was a problem for most of the teams.

norwalkbbq
09-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Guys and Gals the boxes are 9x9 x3 no worries no problem !:pray: By the way looks like great weather......:clap2::clap2:
John Vuoso
Norwalk BARBQ Pit
203-807-8227Are these exactly the same size? Merrimack used boxes with slightly smaller bottoms this year, and it was a problem for most of the teams.

pigmaker23
09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
The boxes ARE NOT the same as Merrimack, like John says, they are 3" deep. :-P

Are these exactly the same size? Merrimack used boxes with slightly smaller bottoms this year, and it was a problem for most of the teams.

wickedbbq'r
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
If people want to vote in the peoples choice, is it part of the paid admission or is it an extra fee? Thanks!

GEMINI991N
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
LOOKS LIKE WE'RE GOING TO HAVE GOOD WEATHER THIS WEEKEND! :thumb:

nancee
09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
also, Greg wanted me to ask you if xchange is providing those bleach test strips that the health dept wants?

trohrs123
09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
also, Greg wanted me to ask you if xchange is providing those bleach test strips that the health dept wants?

yeah...forgot about those!!

goodsmokebbq
09-08-2010, 03:06 PM
yeah...forgot about those!!

Please to be explaining... do we need??

Jacked UP BBQ
09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Please to be explaining... do we need??

I can supply them for anyone I like that needs them. You know who you are and aren't!!!!:heh:

trohrs123
09-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I can supply them for anyone I like that needs them. You know who you are and aren't!!!!:heh:

thanks for the offer...will stop by to borrow some:thumb:

norwalkbbq
09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Can I borrow some please:icon_blush:I can supply them for anyone I like that needs them. You know who you are and aren't!!!!:heh:

Skip
09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Can I borrow some please:icon_blush:

What makes you think he likes you? :heh::heh::heh:

CTSmokehouse
09-08-2010, 10:33 PM

Nancee,

Good point.

Best to you and Greg...go Turtles!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

bbqdavarrow
09-09-2010, 06:51 AM
do you have to do all 3 people's choice categories or if you do just one then you don't have to pay the extra $50.00:confused:??

Dean A
09-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I would have love to come-- but,,,cooking for a cause or not --The Norwalk entrance fee is CRAZY !!!! Don't think they realize that its very expensive already just to get to the competition.....quite a few people i know agreed with me on this one --------I Wish Westport was doing a comp again...

Dean A
09-09-2010, 07:51 PM
good Luck ---to all Brethren --have fun

Jacked UP BBQ
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I would have love to come-- but,,,cooking for a cause or not --The Norwalk entrance fee is CRAZY !!!! Don't think they realize that its very expensive already just to get to the competition.....quite a few people i know agreed with me on this one --------I Wish Westport was doing a comp again...

Hard to say the fee is CRAZY.

15 for a select steak from outback

or

60 for a dry aged prime for peter lugers

you cannot compare to most comps where the prize money is much less and the amenities are also less. Like anything if you want better quality you pay more money for it.

Sledneck
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Hard to say the fee is CRAZY.

15 for a select steak from outback

or

60 for a dry aged prime for peter lugers

you cannot compare to most comps where the prize money is much less and the amenities are also less. Like anything if you want better quality you pay more money for it.
do you have a breakdown of the prize money, from what i see lots of categories and prize money going all over. How much is the prize money just for KCBS?

Sledneck
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
been to peter lugers, its overrated

Sledneck
09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Found the payouts here. http://www.norwalkbbq.com/prizez-bs.pdf With exception to the GC and RGC, all other payouts are in line with many contests that I have paid around 200 for.

Skip
09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Found the payouts here. http://www.norwalkbbq.com/prizez-bs.pdf With exception to the GC and RGC, all other payouts are in line with many contests that I have paid around 200 for.

Wow you are right. Here I had been hearing, and believing that there was big money at this contest to justify the fee. As I see it you are gambling at a pricey table rather then a normal table just to gun for the top spot. So if you aren't one of four teams that can rightly expect to pull a GC or RGC then you are going to see the same pay outs as normal.

Man the NEBS stuff always seems so low. I would love to do it but adding another couple of hundred to my weekend for the chance at a couple of bucks seems foolish to me.

It is true there is a large prize pool but it has a lot of hands in it too. Now if they could offer the 23K to KCBS then the fees would work. It reminds me of the laptop ads. Only 399 and by the time you are done building it its more like 750.

I agree with the above poster. I'd like Westport again.

trohrs123
09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Wow you are right. Here I had been hearing, and believing that there was big money at this contest to justify the fee. As I see it you are gambling at a pricey table rather then a normal table just to gun for the top spot. So if you aren't one of four teams that can rightly expect to pull a GC or RGC then you are going to see the same pay outs as normal.

Man the NEBS stuff always seems so low. I would love to do it but adding another couple of hundred to my weekend for the chance at a couple of bucks seems foolish to me.

It is true there is a large prize pool but it has a lot of hands in it too. Now if they could offer the 23K to KCBS then the fees would work. It reminds me of the laptop ads. Only 399 and by the time you are done building it its more like 750.

I agree with the above poster. I'd like Westport again.

well just come drink some tequila with me and tom!!:thumb:

Skip
09-09-2010, 10:38 PM
well just come drink some tequila with me and tom!!:thumb:

That sounds like fun. Get me a team pass lol

Lakeside Smoker
09-10-2010, 05:41 AM

The $350 entry fee also gets you in all three peoples choice comps that has $2250 in prize money. Also the iron chef, anything butt, and sauce categories with $1800 in prize money. So, with the $13900 for KCBS, that's $17,950 in prize money. Not as bad as you guys think. They are giving away more than they take from the teams (35 teams X $350 = $12,250). That's way better than most comps we do.

-Mike

rescue_ranger
09-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Best of luck to you all it sounds like a great event wish I was going but I am in the picin N the Panhandel contest in WV on the same days
RR

bmanMA
09-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Looks like teams need to be off the field by 4 (may have some leeway here, till 5). Festival starts at 6. So are people planning on getting there way early Friday, or all showing up early Sat? I personally cant get off work early enough to even come close to getting there and set up by 5.

Sledneck
09-10-2010, 10:18 AM
The $350 entry fee also gets you in all three peoples choice comps that has $2250 in prize money. Also the iron chef, anything butt, and sauce categories with $1800 in prize money. So, with the $13900 for KCBS, that's $17,950 in prize money. Not as bad as you guys think. They are giving away more than they take from the teams (35 teams X $350 = $12,250). That's way better than most comps we do.

-Mike

I rarely do all that other stuff mike. Wouldn't it make sense to charge separate for all that other stuff and just have the smaller fee for kcbs only?

nancee
09-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I recommend coming early in the am then

Dean A
09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
My thoughts exactly ,,Sled !!!

Dean A
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Im a NY'er and I Gotta stir the pot alittle here,,, if you actually read these post for the last 4 pages its hilarious.....between the outragous entrance fees along with no choice to just do KCBS, the card board tree hugger turn in boxes, ( maybe green peace is helping run it ---LOL !!) the health dept test strips ( if i read that one correctly) , and the really small window to get your equipment in the gates and set up.............WOW !!!! Is it just me or does this make you LOL.. come on someones gotta agree with me here !!

Sledneck
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Im a NY'er and I Gotta stir the pot alittle here,,, if you actually read these post for the last 4 pages its hilarious.....between the outragous entrance fees along with no choice to just do KCBS, the card board tree hugger turn in boxes, ( maybe green peace is helping run it ---LOL !!) the health dept test strips ( if i read that one correctly) , and the really small window to get your equipment in the gates and set up.............WOW !!!! Is it just me or does this make you LOL.. come on someones gotta agree with me here !!I do!! Thought about it even with the fees but I opted to go to West Point Military Academy to cook with Muzzle and Yakfish and the Swamp pits for the Warrior Transition Unit tailgate for the troops this weekend . Westport (only a mile away and by shear luck and possibly the same judges) has been pretty good financially for me the last 2 years so cooking Norwalk was on my mind. Good luck to all competing this weekend!

Skip
09-10-2010, 06:01 PM

-Mike

The fact that there is so much money involved is the lure and it is nice but doing 10 categories in two days is a lot of work. Its nice that they do it for those who wish to do the comp but they really should offer a KCBS only fee so that it becomes more enticing to those who wouldn't do the full run. If you look at your numbers above you will see that there is 5,700 in cash over and above the entry fees. If KCBS were a 250 entry that would offer 8750. (13900 - 8750 = 5150 in extra funding). Peoples Choice (50 X 25 = 1250) meaning another 1K of extra funding. 1250 for the anything but as well means another 550 of funding for that category. Sorry my math isn't as neat as yours. :-D
So we have 5150 + 1000 + 550 = 6700

A poll at the comp of who would and who wouldn't could offer insight into the feasiblity of splitting the fee schedules. To give an accurate number of expected participants. I used 25 as a possible number.

A 1K deficit from giving the lower 10 a different fee. By trimming gc 200 and rcg 200 you still have some of the best prize money around and no stigma. 100 from first place and its nearly a wash. I don't think anyone would stop doing the contest because 1st place was only 650. A 25 dollar fee for KCBS bringing it to 275 would shave the deficit to 125 dollars without changing any of the schedule. Or it could be billed as a 25 saving for those wishing to do all 10 categories.

Is there any donation for the peoples choice or do the people have to supply the stuff too?

It all really doesn't matter right. They got the 35 they were limiting to didn't they? I figure if thats the case then this arguement is all for naught. Its fun to offer opinion and suggestion but they accomplished what they needed to do and those involved are happy.

I am sure it is different when you have a real expectation of winning but for the friendly competitor the money is a dream not a realitty. I think it goes hand and hand with competitor friendly. If some competitor are disappointed thats an issue. Maybe not one that needs to be dealt with but still an issue for those involved

Lakeside Smoker
09-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Im a NY'er and I Gotta stir the pot alittle here,,, if you actually read these post for the last 4 pages its hilarious.....between the outragous entrance fees along with no choice to just do KCBS, the card board tree hugger turn in boxes, ( maybe green peace is helping run it ---LOL !!) the health dept test strips ( if i read that one correctly) , and the really small window to get your equipment in the gates and set up.............WOW !!!! Is it just me or does this make you LOL.. come on someones gotta agree with me here !!

OK, I'll bite.
The entry fee was $350! About $100 more than normal. That's hardly outrageous. I was also skeptical about card board boxes, but they were actually fine. 9 X 9 and very deep, with a waxy feel on the inside; no problem with leakage at all. This one kills me: don't you WANT the people who serve food to the public to do it safely???? The test strips were for the Peoples Choice, not all the teams. What small window? We came and went all weekend. I saw teams getting escorted through the crowds at any given time.

What confuses me is the three people here who seem to have a problem with the comp weren't even there. So why try to bash a contest? Why try to talk people out of going to this comp? It does not seem constructive at all. Just choose not to go, it's that easy.

-Mike

Lakeside Smoker
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
...I along with no choice to just do KCBS,

Sorry, missed this one.
That's completely false. Many teams just did KCBS.

bbqdavarrow
09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
What confuses me is the three people here who seem to have a problem with the comp weren't even there. So why try to bash a contest? Why try to talk people out of going to this comp? It does not seem constructive at all. Just choose not to go, it's that easy.

-Mike[/QUOTE]
I agree 100% with you Mike, The Norwalk Rotary Guys were great, they were always asking if everything was ok, etc. The inspector with the test strips was just doing his job, (Its Barbeque, you have to go with the flow, adapt, whatever to overcome the obstacles or problems!)
It was a great contest:clap2:

SmokeInDaEye
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Glad to hear it went well. I had wanted to do this one but couldn't make the date work. Maybe next year!

bbqdavarrow
09-13-2010, 03:06 PM
One thing they have to change is the way the "People's Choice" contest are run, I had to keep going down to the center of the field and bring people up to our corner to try our Chowder. I wonder what the percentages were, tickets put in the cup vs coins in the cup.
Lets say Team A had 100 tickets and 30 coins vs. Team B who had 50 tickets and 25 coins ??
I have ideas on how to improve the contest if anybody wants to hear them.:wink:

deez butts
09-13-2010, 03:49 PM
OK, I'll bite.
The entry fee was $350! About $100 more than normal. That's hardly outrageous. I was also skeptical about card board boxes, but they were actually fine. 9 X 9 and very deep, with a waxy feel on the inside; no problem with leakage at all. This one kills me: don't you WANT the people who serve food to the public to do it safely???? The test strips were for the Peoples Choice, not all the teams. What small window? We came and went all weekend. I saw teams getting escorted through the crowds at any given time.

-Mike

I agree, this was our first comp and we had a great time. I don't see the purpose of badmouthing the event. It was run well and they were always coming by on the golf carts asking if everything was ok. They were really accomodating too, letting us come and go. The health inspector also gave us a bunch of those test strips since we didn't have any, so that wasn't an issue either.

deez butts
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
One thing they have to change is the way the "People's Choice" contest are run, I had to keep going down to the center of the field and bring people up to our corner to try our Chowder. I wonder what the percentages were, tickets put in the cup vs coins in the cup.
Lets say Team A had 100 tickets and 30 coins vs. Team B who had 50 tickets and 25 coins ??
I have ideas on how to improve the contest if anybody wants to hear them.:wink:

I agree with this also, we were off in the corner and did the people's choice chili. We couldn't get anyone to come over to try any. I think they had 18 teams doing the chili but the tasting kit had something like 5 tickets. I'd think you'd want to do 18 tickets if there are 18 teams and use smaller tasting cups.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok so lets all drive to western PA for the BBQ Brethren Comp where the fee is 350 and 500 in fuel! to win????? how much?

bbqdavarrow
09-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I agree with this also, we were off in the corner and did the people's choice chili. We couldn't get anyone to come over to try any. I think they had 18 teams doing the chili but the tasting kit had something like 5 tickets. I'd think you'd want to do 18 tickets if there are 18 teams and use smaller tasting cups.

one way to make it so everybody gets a even shot of people trying their chili would be, the first person who buys tickets would be good for teams 1, 2, and 3 and then the second person would taste teams 4, 5, & 6 and so on
I had couples who would only turn in 1 ticket then just share that cup.
I also had people who would ask a bunch of questions and not even try the chowder

what would be fun is let every team go around and try everybody's and then cast 1 vote (not for your own team) and see who wins (voted by your peers):mod:

dreed
09-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Norwalk exchange club does an outstanding job at this comp. I think the categories offer something for everyone, while at the same time contributing to a good cause. They had more teams then last year and I am sure they will get even more in 2011. So those that don't like the fees, green boxes (by the way worked out just fine), or anything else that they can think of with their infinite barbecue wisdom that is wrong with the comp can just stay home. There will be plenty of teams that are willing to go.