PDA

View Full Version : Quick Pork Ribs Smell Question...

darita
08-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Just unwrapped a rack of thawed out, pork ribs, about 2 days from the store. When I cut the package open, I was greeted by a funky, stinky smell. Is that normal? When rinsed, the ribs smell OK...I think? Called the butcher and he said it's normal to get the funky gas smell when first opened. Need to know if that's true 'cause I'm ready to put them on the grill. Thanks for the help.

Puppyboy
08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Same thing here.

If they smell ok after you rinse, then you should be good to go.

bluetang
08-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Were they vacuum packed? If so, there is a lactic acid producing bacteria present which will produce a sour milk smell. Once opened and rinsed, it goes away, normal thing and OK.

Sleepy Smoker
08-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, give them a good rinse, let them air out for a few minutes, and check the smell again. If it still smells off, trust your nose and get your money back.

A few months ago I didn't do that, smoked them anyway, and could really tell when I tasted them that something was off. I wish I would have trusted my instincts on that one.

But yeah, if you think they smell OK now after a good rinse, you should be good to go.

jestridge
08-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Crayvac wrap meat will have that smell . I hate it.

darita
08-29-2010, 04:28 PM
What is CravacThis was wrapped in a thick plastic and sealed, with no air in the package, just blood and meat. It smelled like an almost sulfur like smell. I went back the butcher and he gave me another package of ribs. When I opened them, the smell was the same, but a lot less intense.
The first one's had just a really slight hint of that smell once rinsed well, so I seasoned and put them on the Traeger while I went back to the store. Now I have two racks on the grill. Should I keep the first one's going or just chuck them?

SmokinAussie
08-29-2010, 04:31 PM
If it was not a Cryovac pack, and you got a sulphur smell, I'd take them back too.

Cheers!

Bill

Captain Dave
08-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I've had it happen in the cyrovac ribs, i think it has somthing to do with the stuff they put in it. A good rinse and they were fine.

Skip
08-29-2010, 10:48 PM
If the smell rinses away I think its fine. The meat will always carry a little bit of that smell with it so a hint is just a keen sense of smell.

jemezspring
08-29-2010, 11:28 PM
I've caught that smell too but if the meat is not slimy and after a rinse the smell is gone you should be ok.

Rumblefish
08-31-2010, 02:14 PM
From my experience, if it's cryo gas give it a cold water rinse and dry with paper towel. Let it air dry for 30 min then see if it still smells.

darita
08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
By the way...this isn't a "I'm really picky about smells" kind of smell. This is a "pig fart" kinda smell. Just want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Rumblefish
08-31-2010, 03:29 PM
That's exactly why I've always called it cryo gas. it smells like a fart then goes away after air hits it. I'm sure it's all good.:thumb:

citrus
08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
If the smell is gone after rinsing, they're fine. If they smell funky after rinsing, the meat will taste funky.

Sean "Puffy" Coals
09-01-2010, 04:49 AM
What is CravacThis was wrapped in a thick plastic and sealed, with no air in the package, just blood and meat. It smelled like an almost sulfur like smell. I went back the butcher and he gave me another package of ribs. When I opened them, the smell was the same, but a lot less intense.
The first one's had just a really slight hint of that smell once rinsed well, so I seasoned and put them on the Traeger while I went back to the store. Now I have two racks on the grill. Should I keep the first one's going or just chuck them?

I've gotten that "sulphory, rotten meat/eggs kind of smell" before from cryovac ribs before. Like others have said- if it rinses away, they're fine to use. If it doesn't go away after rinsing or the meat looks like it's turning green or gray, they are too far gone to use.

Were they enhanced ribs? It would have said "enhanced with up to a 15% solution of..." somewhere on the label.

The liquid in the package isn't "blood" by the way. It's just water and reddish proteins that seep out of the meat. I swear to Alton.