PDA

View Full Version : Proper Comp Etiquette

sharks_guy
08-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Hi,
Been involved in 5 competitions this year (my first year) and have noticed an unusual behavior.

Neighboring teams will often bring by samples of their wares during turn ins. I hope I do not offend anyone, but during turn-ins, I am really not interested in sampling other's food, I am focused on what I am doing. I appreciate being able to taste other's food, but when I am focused I find it sort of irritating??

With that said, is there an unspoken rule that says it is polite to prepare some samples for neighbors between turn ins? and should I try and be a good neighbor by sharing? or if you share with others, is it ok to not receive something back?

Thanks.

Sawdustguy
08-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Hi,
Been involved in 5 competitions this year (my first year) and have noticed an unusual behavior.

Neighboring teams will often bring by samples of their wares during turn ins. I hope I do not offend anyone, but during turn-ins, I am really not interested in sampling other's food, I am focused on what I am doing. I appreciate being able to taste other's food, but when I am focused I find it sort of irritating??

With that said, is there an unspoken rule that says it is polite to prepare some samples for neighbors between turn ins? and should I try and be a good neighbor by sharing? or if you share with others, is it ok to not receive something back?

Thanks.

We have never had that happen. Maybe since you are a newbie team, they are try to give you an idea of what your end product should be like. It's not something that should be done during turn-in. Sharing is not necessary and if it bothers you a simple, "we are a new team and we need as much time as we can get for turn-in's. We would love to sample your que after turn-in is over." would suffice. Also try to keep in mind that competing should be enjoyable. Getting irritated takes the fun out of it.

Lippy
08-28-2010, 05:47 AM
We generaly don't share our food. If another team brings food I'll eat it, but if it is during turn ins, I have no problem asking them to wait and I will see them after. There is nothing more frustrating then being messed with during turn ins.

Ron_L
08-28-2010, 06:54 AM
We will share with friends, but if they look busy I leave them alone. In most cases the 30 seconds that it takes to taste something isn't go to hurt us, but if you're too busy just say so, politely, and they will understand.

Uncle Buds BBQ
08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Do you compete under a canopy? Get some side walls or tarps. Put them up during turn in. It's just like Halloween. :rolleyes:

Bunny
08-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Doesn't bother us at all. It's part of the comraderie. It's sharing with your friends. That's the way we look at it anyway. Sometimes we smile at each other cause we know we just beat their sample, :becky: and sometimes we look at each other and say, "oh crap!" :shock:

Just put up your walls and nobody will bother you.

Rich and Bunny/KCass BBQ

rookiedad
08-28-2010, 08:56 AM
we got shared with at hudson valley for the first time by our nice neighbors Hogbutts and Deans 911 Rescue Crew. i thought it was nice of them and we prepared plates for them as well. it helps if you have someone on the team to field offers such as this and prepare stuff for others while one person works on turn ins. it's also good to have one person "work the crowd" as well, to prevent distractions from the person doing turn ins.

ThomEmery
08-28-2010, 09:37 AM
We have many friends that we trade turn in samples with every time we cook
The tradition is take your worst rib over and say it was number 7 just couldn't fit it in the box :) It is all in good fun

boogiesnap
08-28-2010, 10:06 AM
i love getting samples.

watertowerbbq
08-28-2010, 10:42 AM
We have shared with others and had others share with us. It's helped to make some good friendships and I find that I always have time to say hi, take a bite and then you've got something to talk about after turn-ins.

The Pickled Pig
08-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I love trading samples during turn-in and have learned a few things as a result of doing so. I can't think of a better way to see and taste what the reclusive competition is doing. This year we have had some great neighbors and were honored to swap samples with them. And as a bonus, some of it has been the best BBQ I've had.

Rich Parker
08-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Dang.....nobody even offers me samples at least not good samples.

JD McGee
08-28-2010, 12:43 PM
We receive and share samples at most comps...but...we have 1 hour turn-ins so we have time...:cool:

thillin
08-28-2010, 02:26 PM
We receive and share samples at most comps...but...we have 1 hour turn-ins so we have time...:cool:

ditto. Especially with friends. And as mentioned above. You might get to taste a winning entry.

sharks_guy
08-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Awesome, As usual, you all rock!

I love the idea of the EZ Up walls. This will help while I get some more experience. I also enjoy getting a sample from a winning team, but too understand that I might be getting the worst of their cook, so it may or may not be meaningful. I am sure, as I get more competitions under my belt, the time will not seem as short, and I won't feel as stressed out. Comps are all about fun, and in general, I am having fun, but still feel the stress during that two-hour window. I look forward to the day when I can knock out all the turnins, and still have time to have fun and chat with neighbors, public and anyone else.

Thanks again to all, and good luck to you.

CivilWarBBQ
08-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Sample exchanges are pretty common aroung these parts - especially with new teams. I do like to taste them when offered because it helps me get a bead on what the judges liked at that contest. When you only have your own stuff as a reference it's impossible to triangulate, but if you also tasted A and B and thought they were very X compared to yours, then when you get the score sheets you get a better idea of how different levels of X fared.

The toughest part is finding a way to be helpful when somebody gives you a sample that you think is really bad without insulting that cook.

QansasjayhawQ
08-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Sample exchanges are pretty common aroung these parts - especially with new teams. I do like to taste them when offered because it helps me get a bead on what the judges liked at that contest. When you only have your own stuff as a reference it's impossible to triangulate, but if you also tasted A and B and thought they were very X compared to yours, then when you get the score sheets you get a better idea of how different levels of X fared.

The toughest part is finding a way to be helpful when somebody gives you a sample that you think is really bad without insulting that cook.
That's exactly why I got into judging - because I had no idea what the goals were. Now that I've judged quite a few, I have an excellent idea of where we need to be.

During turn in time, I don't bother anyone and no one bothers me. (Walls? Check.) Friday night and Saturday morning, we do share back and forth with others. But come about 9:00AM, things start getting really busy and we just keep our heads down and get it done.

Bigmista
08-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Nobody ever wants my samples.

Podge
08-29-2010, 09:32 AM
heck, I can't even stomach eating my own BBQ samples, much less anybody elses.

FamilyManBBQ
08-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Have done about 5 comps as well. Have been fortunate to taste many samples (although it's usually after turn-ins have been completed). I've found these to be very helpful...I've been set up next to some very good teams and appreciate the insight into flavors, technique that have contributed to their success.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I give out samples to new teams and teams that are our friends. Was always just trying to be nice and I taste their food in return (if they offer).

There are times that I am busy and just put offered food to the side. I still think its a nice gesture and I just taste it later.

Podge
08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Thinking about it.. about 5 years ago, I was at my 3rd contest, and a team next to me, who was pretty good, would not let me try his pork. I had asked, just so I could at least get some sort of clue on what judges wanted, or a direction I should head... but when I asked, he said no....

ThomEmery
08-29-2010, 03:18 PM

LOL we would trade with ya
Just got to get you to come out and cook with us
Your so busy cookin fer cash :)

thillin
08-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Something I like about IBCA comps, you have a chance to see and taste the top 10 brisket and ribs. And you can see the chicken, but they ask you don't eat since it's been out longest.

But nothing like tasting your neighbors brisket and knowing you beat at least 1 team.:cool:

Balls Casten
08-29-2010, 04:18 PM
We'll share samples if we've made a change or think we've done well. But are very careful not to intrude if someone is busy. We'll offer to others in the tent and most will grab a piece for their cook. We’ve been turned away some too and we are not offended at all. We understand some do not want to

Mister Bob
08-29-2010, 04:49 PM
We gladly give and accept samples, but only after turn-in. We work inside a trailer and have a team member outside to greet visitors and field questions. He's also there to make sure we're not disturbed during crunch time. Not because there's anything so secret going on, but mainly because we're on a tight schedule and really don't have time for visitors on turn-in day until after 1:35.

dmprantz
08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
I think the answer to the OP question is that depending on the area, it is not bad ettiquite to offer samples, though teams should always be respectful of others during turn in, and throughout an entire comp for that matter. I almost always have samples offerred to me as well as offer them out, but I don't go to every old team. It's really just teams that I have been friendly with at that comp. I also wait until after a box has left, so sample chicken at KCBS would be offerred right after the runner leaves or when the team get's back at 12:02, not at 11:50! It gives me a good sense of competition, let's others know theirs, and lets me taste things that may win.

dmp

scm1226
08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Being new into this I think that it is a great idea to share. Some teams have offered us a sample, but they also look for an inviting look before they come into our area. Remember its more about having fun than winning (granted we have never won) haha.
Sample away!!!

Uncle Buds BBQ
08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Being new into this I think that it is a great idea to share. Some teams have offered us a sample, but they also look for an inviting look before they come into our area. Remember its more about having fun than winning (granted we have never won) haha.
Sample away!!!
Nope...you're wrong :-D

As the great Myron Mixon said on BBQ Pitmasters..."It's all about the d#$% money!" :shock:

Chipper
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I give out samples to new teams and teams that are our friends. Was always just trying to be nice and I taste their food in return (if they offer).

There are times that I am busy and just put offered food to the side. I still think its a nice gesture and I just taste it later.

Glad to hear that. I'll be over the next time with a bottle of tequila as a chaser.

chambersuac
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I want your turn in boxes :)

smokaholic
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
I in good faith asked another team to swap some samples. They got my brisket and I got their chicken. I had just turned my slices in and gave them 4 or 5 slices and they bring me a single piece of chicken, no biggie except that I tried it there was no taste to it and it was cold. Im pretty sure they gave me leftovers from the night before. So his chicken places in top 5 and I was thinking if the chicken he gave me was any indication of what he turned in he must have paid off the judges. So a week or two goes by and I see he was so proud of his chicken he posted pictures. Thats when I knew they tricked me. So now I dont give samples and dont ask for them and I dont talk to that guy anymore. Jerk

afreemaniii
08-30-2010, 04:51 PM
We swapped samples with the team next to us at our first comp. That team has gone on to become very close friends and we try to get setup next to each other at every comp we both enter. We still swap samples of each category and have fun with it.

We have also swapped with some other teams, but definitely not every one of them. I generally don't have a problem with it and look forward to trying what others are turning in. We've tasted both the best and the worst that is out there. It was nice to taste a great rib early on in our competition journey and then hear that team called for first place. Unfortunately we've also been left scratching our heads wondering what some teams were thinking when they came up with their recipe.

HawgNationBBQ
08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
We will swap samples, but it rarely happens. We end up bringing the extra home to the real judges, the family. They always give us high scores because they donít know any better.

Rub
08-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I get asked usually ahead of time if I'm up for sampling and try to always say yes. Of course I add the disclaimer that I reserve the right to spit it out after tasting :-P

Spanx
08-30-2010, 11:29 PM
We don't have this happen much due to we are cooking mostly MBN events and they are so busy that we don't have time to sample or give samples out. But I do like to sample others to see what is winning. We have had a few big name MBN teams come and talk with us and try our products and give us great advice which is helping out team out greatly.

Goddahavit
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Dan, i love to hear that, I have only done a few comps, but i respect what you have done, I would love to see what winning bbq is I spoke with you at easton, and new holland, perhaps sometime I can get the timing down when you have a sec to chat....

Eric, Patrise and Sammi

2Fat
09-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Thinking about it.. about 5 years ago, I was at my 3rd contest, and a team next to me, who was pretty good, would not let me try his pork. I had asked, just so I could at least get some sort of clue on what judges wanted, or a direction I should head... but when I asked, he said no....

I won't do it again--sorry<bfg>

BbqJohn
09-03-2010, 10:18 PM
It seem to be innocent to some and a bit more devious for others....let the mind games begin...lol

Sawdustguy
09-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Awesome, As usual, you all rock!

I love the idea of the EZ Up walls. This will help while I get some more experience. I also enjoy getting a sample from a winning team, but too understand that I might be getting the worst of their cook, so it may or may not be meaningful. I am sure, as I get more competitions under my belt, the time will not seem as short, and I won't feel as stressed out. Comps are all about fun, and in general, I am having fun, but still feel the stress during that two-hour window. I look forward to the day when I can knock out all the turnins, and still have time to have fun and chat with neighbors, public and anyone else.

Thanks again to all, and good luck to you.

If you feel stressed out, it's time to pick another hobby and stop BBQ competitions. Life is too short man. This is all about fun and feeling stressed out is definitely not enjoyable. I can understand being serious about competing, but stress will shorten your life.

sharks_guy
09-04-2010, 01:30 AM
If you feel stressed out, it's time to pick another hobby and stop BBQ competitions. Life is too short man. This is all about fun and feeling stressed out is definitely not enjoyable. I can understand being serious about competing, but stress will shorten your life.

Hell ya, which is why I posted my original question....

Thinking that I needed to put together samples for neighbors and be nice about their samples, while still struggling with my own turn-ins was stressing me out.

I have learned by following this thread that all I have to do is do what I can... With experience this may become more, but for now, not to worry.... Have fun, fill in the details of working with neighbors/guests/public etc as time management skills get better.

Thanks!