PDA

View Full Version : hello from Louisiana

BillyH
08-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Hey Bandera Brethren..Thanks to the 3 or 4 guys who emailed me and told me about this site...Now if you're just this generous with your sauces and rub recipes....HA!! bet that aint happenin....But if you do, I'll bring you crawfish!!! do they smoke well?? doubt it..
But anyway, glad to be here,,going to Academy to get my Bandera today!!! Hope they have one in stock... I'll slap it together this evening, grease er down and fire it up to season it. Any suggestions? Anything to watch out for putting the thing together? I need all the help I can get...good to be here... How many more coonasses from La. on here???

parrothead
08-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Welcome brother. I'll take some of them crawdads. I won't suck the heads though.

kcquer
08-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Welcome Brother, download the 101 doc on the home page. All you need to know to get started is in there. We got lots of recipes in the files section and The Brethren are always glad to share.
Pass on the mudbugs but I'll take some shrimp if'n ya got any handy!
Good to have you with us!

The_Kapn
08-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Billy,
WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!
"Things to look for...?"
Check the smoke box hangers. See this saga:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2374&highlight=
Even my replacement smoke box has the right rear mounts almost 1/2" low- so the racks "rock" to the right rear. Irritating without channels which I am installing to guide the shelves.
CharBroil seems to have a problem with the alignment, or maybe they just sent me the only 2 screwed up ones they ever made :cry:
First mandantory fix is to raise the firegrate off of the floor! It will not draw air and burn correctly. Rotate the stock grate 90 degrees and sit it on the bottom rack holder. Or, put it on a few firebricks, or hang it from wires, or "whatever". But, it has to be raised.
See the discussion and files about the "StudeDera firegrate Mod" for a long term fix or get a basket to improve efficiency.
You will need a baffle to move heat away from the firebox side of the smoke chamber.
Other wize- fire her up- season her- and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
She is a fine cooker!
Read "Bandera 101" in our files section and check the "RoadMap" at the top of some forum sections. These capture a lot of the history of our thinking on great Q.

Great people here--grab a cold one and enjoy :lol:
TIM

BillyH
08-16-2004, 01:04 PM
tried to download the doc 101 and also some of the pics and instruction stuff and I get an error of some kind...didnt read it but cant download things..I'll have to look into it....

Cuelio
08-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the back yard, bro.

kcquer
08-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Billy, click "files" at the left side of this page, then "bandera mods" then the 3rd file down will be a plain text version of the 101. It should work for you.

Thanks David Little.

BillyH
08-16-2004, 01:21 PM
weird...I keep getting the same message when I try to open the files. With the exceptiong of the top one. "baffle mod" It opens fine. The rest give me "unable to load graphic conversion filter. Continue to load with document conversion? If I click yes nothing happens, clicking no kicks me back to the previous page...I must need some program downloaded on my computer I guess...

MikeG
08-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Welcome Billy!!
I got a 60 qt pot with basket...crawfish fit quite well.
Glad to have you with us
Mikeg

brdbbq
08-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the group. What is a crawfish ?

BigBelly
08-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Welcome BillyH, you are the same Billy from the BBQ news forum right?

Anywho, welcome and join in on the fun!

BBQchef33
08-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey Billy .. glad ya made it.. guess some of the brothers got to ya also..d.... we couldn't let ya wallow around in that wading pool you were in lookin on how to make turds.... Them turds you were lookin at were mine.!! Welcome to the backyard.

racer_81
08-16-2004, 02:17 PM
mmmmmmmm.........crawwwwwfiiiiiish...........

Welcome Billy. Lots of info here for you and lots of good times discussing
various facets of BBQ.

Trout_man22
08-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Welcome Billy, Sit on down and will tell you all you want to know and more. Even the one about the sour pickle.

badger
08-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Welcome Billy. Enjoy the site.

Bigmista
08-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Welcome Billy!

Can a brother get some real Boudain and Crawfish sent out here to Cali? And send some Gator to Phil. He loves the stuff!

Don't need no Jambalya, Gumbo or Shrimp Creole. Any many folks out there that can make it better'n me!

Reach inthe bucket and grab a cold beer and join the crowd!

mista

BillyH
08-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Well, just got back from Academy...No luck. The only Bandera there was the demo. He's expecting 14 in at any time. He wrote my name and number down and said Im #7 on the list for one..DANG these things must be popular. I know www.americasbestbarbecue.com thinks they are. Academy wants $199.86 for theirs, everyday.. America's best wants...(are you sitting down?) $599.00 for em...WOW....Has to be a typo..
Thanks for all the hello's. I cant wait to start q'n and learnin from all you pro's..OH and Turd Man,,, Academy has a little stainless steel turd rack that holds 21 turds for 9 bucks and some change.. I saw on one site ya'll were coming up with some rack ideas for these things.. And to the guy in Cal. that wants some boudin...Here's a thought for you...Imagine those turds stuffed with seafood boudin, a little cheese wrapped in backon.....cest bon cher......das good yeh....

Bill-Chicago
08-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Phil and John, please reread this thread to see if we are having site issues that Mr H needs addressing.

Welcome Billy

BillyH
08-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Mr Willkat98,
Am I the Mr. H you are referring to? Im not to used to these forums, I dont even know what a thread is. If I got off track or said something wrong please let me know..... :?:

Bigmista
08-17-2004, 02:26 AM
And to the guy in Cal. that wants some boudin...Here's a thought for you...Imagine those turds stuffed with seafood boudin, a little cheese wrapped in backon.....cest bon cher......das good yeh....

OOOooo Cher, I think I done found a new best friend!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!!!

Neil
08-17-2004, 04:18 AM
Welcome aboard Billy. Enjoy what you learn here and share what you know. It's what were all aboult in the land of Q.

jt
08-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Glad to have you, Billy!

Crawfish, shrimp, and creole, Oh My!

Damnit. Now I'm hungry....

Solidkick
08-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Welcome Billy! When you get things up and running, let's share smoked gator recipes!

parrothead
08-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Mr Willkat98,
Am I the Mr. H you are referring to? Im not to used to these forums, I dont even know what a thread is. If I got off track or said something wrong please let me know.....

You didn't do anything wrong. He was referring to the problem you were having downloading information. He wants to make sure it gets corrected.

Bill-Chicago
08-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Mr Willkat98,
Am I the Mr. H you are referring to? Im not to used to these forums, I dont even know what a thread is. If I got off track or said something wrong please let me know..... :?:

Impossible to say something wrong here, and this welcoming thingy is your first "thread"

John and Phil are the techno weenies behind the site. You mentioned error messages when trying to access files.

They can help you with these, or see if there is a problem with the site itself.

Thats all I meant.

Again, welcome!!

BayouBound
09-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Billy,
Welcome aboard! We have a "camp" near Lake Charles. Maybe we can get together for a cook out some time.

And for those of you looking for some of the ingredients mentioned (including Mista),
You can get crawfish (all cleaned and packaged up) at most Super Walmarts. I found this out after I been hand carrying them back from Louisiana in my ice chest, for the past twenty years.

If you want the live version and you are out west you can get them in Isleton, on Sacramento Delta. They are expensive though.

Or you can order them directly from the farm in Louisiana online at: http://www.cajuncrawfish.com/ The guys name is Fruge. My couzan Geno Bellard sells his crawfish to him. Everything on his site is A-1 authentic.

I have also found sausage at Sam's Club to be very close to what I get when down south. It's Cavanagh's "spicy" sausage.

For a lot of other authentic Cajun food items you can go to: http://www.thecajunmarket.com/ This is a Lake Charles family operation. They also have a store in Houston, near the Hobby Airport. This is my first stop when I fly into the airport. I like their spicy boudin.