PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Pods...

JD McGee
08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Do any of you folks use a shipping company to send your equipment ahead to a comp site? Like... "The Jack"...:becky: I'm looking in to it...just in case...:wink: Thanks...
JD

Just Pulin' Pork
08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
JD I have heard of folks taking a road trips with there gear in tow and leaving it with friends for the next year when they come back to that contest. IE Daytona FL. Your idea sounds interesting especially for your location.

bigdogphin
08-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Do any of you folks use a shipping company to send your equipment ahead to a comp site? Like... "The Jack"...:becky: I'm looking in to it...just in case...:wink: Thanks...
JD

For all the stuff you guys have, you might want to use Mayflower :-P.

KC_Bobby
08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Pod ... Jack ... hummm ... kinda like that idea. Would they leave the Pod on site to use to sleep in?

Just Pulin' Pork
08-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Pod ... Jack ... hummm ... kinda like that idea. Would they leave the Pod on site to use to sleep in?

Bob you may be onto something there! Do they come with an A/C attached? :becky:

ique
08-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Bob you may be onto something there! Do they come with an A/C attached? :becky:

Lynchburg in Oct, you may want a heater not an A/C. Been in the 30's overnight before when I cooked there.

KC_Bobby
08-24-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a portable space heater I can load in the Pod. Add lighting while it's in the driveway too.

Scottie
08-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Unless I had a auto to the Jack... I would not be giving any bad mojo for chances of going by planning anything... I've seen guys that appear to be auto's, not make it. Sure can't count on your bung being pulled, when it's not 100% sure...

I have a couple of bungs. I have not yet asked for the days off. I will just carry my lucky bung and hickory nut to Mesquite for the draw. that's about all you can do.

dmprantz
08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
The team I cooked with at MIM this year had a PODS (Or something similar) dropped off and picked up. Seemed very convenient for load in/out, sleeping, and other activities. I could get in touch and see who they used, but I thought it was a service of MIM.

dmp

JD McGee
08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Just got off the phone with a PODS rep...$3324.51 to ship a 8x7x7 container one way to Lynchburg from Duvall...:shock:...on the bright side...it's $195.00 cheaper on the way back...:rolleyes: Looks like we're driving...:becky:...(hopefully)...:wink:

Vince RnQ
08-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I have a couple of bungs. I have not yet asked for the days off. I will just carry my lucky bung and hickory nut to Mesquite for the draw. that's about all you can do.

I'm sure there will be more than a few laptops with the refresh button being toggled at Mesquite on Friday afternoon. Last year they held the draw on Thursday so it was refresh pandemonium on the drive there!

Balls Casten
08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I’d tend more to look at hotshot loads or trailer shippers. But it’s certainly going to be more than a couple hundred bucks … plus a plane ticket.

http://www.hotshotcarrier.com/ (http://www.hotshotcarrier.com/)

http://www.trailershippers.com/ (http://www.trailershippers.com/)

dmprantz
08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Sorry for the derailment, but am I the only one who thinks that "hotshot loads" belongs in the woodpile?

dmp

Balls Casten
08-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I started to reply and apologize thinking you did not like the drivers ... I mean truck drivers. I'll shut up.

Big George's BBQ
08-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Just got off the phone with a PODS rep...$3324.51 to ship a 8x7x7 container one way to Lynchburg from Duvall...:shock:...on the bright side...it's $195.00 cheaper on the way back...:rolleyes: Looks like we're driving...:becky:...(hopefully)...:wink:

Good luck Hope you get in

Alexa RnQ
08-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Oh, just cram it all in a minivan. That's what we'll be doing. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Good luck! :thumb:

Finney
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Just buy new cookers and canopies when you get to TN... Leave them when you go home. :becky:

dmprantz
08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Better yet, buy new stuff as previously suggested, but store it in Tennessee until next year's Jack. I know a great place.

dmp

JD McGee
08-24-2010, 05:42 PM
I'll assume at this point that no one (in their right mind) has used pods for a long distance comp...:becky: Hey Danielle...any room left in your mini-van...:twisted:

Alexa RnQ
08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
LMAO! You used "in their right mind" and "long distance comp" in the same sentence. You're a very funny man.

ique
08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I'll assume at this point that no one (in their right mind) has used pods for a long distance comp...:becky: Hey Danielle...any room left in your mini-van...:twisted:

Have you considered flying in without your gear? I have done that out of Boston a few times. Bet you can get a few loaners. Or buy some weber products and sell as 'lightly used' at the event. I prep and cryo my meat in Boston and then check onto my flight so I dont have to deal with any unknown procurement.

JD McGee
08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Have you considered flying in without your gear? I have done that out of Boston a few times. Bet you can get a few loaners. Or buy some weber products and sell as 'lightly used' at the event. I prep and cryo my meat in Boston and then check onto my flight so I dont have to deal with any unknown procurement.

Since this is (hopefully) our first time at the Jack we are going to bring our gear with us...our butcher is gonna ship our meats to us so we'll have our "usual" fresh comp meats available. My wife and I (maybe swamprb if he doesn't fly in) will be road trippin' out early...I have a lot of family and friends near Lynchburg (I grew up 30 miles from there) so this will be a homecoming for me...we're looking forward to the trip and doing some sight seeing along the way. Thanks for the tips folks...we look forward to meeting many of you at "The Jack"...:becky:

ique
08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Since this is (hopefully) our first time at the Jack we are going to bring our gear with us...our butcher is gonna ship our meats to us so we'll have our "usual" fresh comp meats available. My wife and I (maybe swamprb if he doesn't fly in) will be road trippin' out early...I have a lot of family and friends near Lynchburg (I grew up 30 miles from there) so this will be a homecoming for me...we're looking forward to the trip and doing some sight seeing along the way. Thanks for the tips folks...we look forward to meeting many of you at "The Jack"...:becky:

Good call, sounds fun, always better to have your own gear.

Bones
08-24-2010, 09:37 PM
You could check with ABF Truck Line. They have PODS for moving. I have no idea about cost.
Good luck

Vince RnQ
08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
We are also much more comfortable having our own stuff with us at comps that are a long way away. We've certainly seen many people fly in and win using borrowed equipment, (right Scottie?), so we know it can be done. But for us, there's just something about knowing that it's all there just like at every other contest that makes us feel better.

dmprantz
08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Good luck on having your bung pulled. I understand wanting your own things, but if there's anyway I can help, be it loner products or receiving things for you, lemme know!

dmp

JD McGee
08-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Good luck on having your bung pulled. I understand wanting your own things, but if there's anyway I can help, be it loner products or receiving things for you, lemme know!

dmp

Thanks man...PM sent...:-P

KC_Bobby
08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
JD, what state(s) are you in the draw for and what are your chances?

JD McGee
08-25-2010, 09:51 AM
JD, what state(s) are you in the draw for and what are your chances?

Hi Bobby...we have 4 from Washington and one for Oregon. For Washington there are two other teams with one each so our chances are 4 out of 6. For Oregon I think our chances are 1 out of 5...

KC_Bobby
08-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Not bad chances - good luck

JD McGee
08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Not bad chances - good luck

Thanks man...we are hopeful. In case we get the call I want to be ready to roll which is why I am doing all this leg work now...:cool:...that and I ain't got nuttin' better to do for the time being...:twisted:

KC_Bobby
08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
If not for the auto, our chances would be like 2 in 42 - both of our wins were in Missouri. I don't think the GAB Invite counts - but if it did, it would be 1 in 39 chances as that was in Kansas.

JD McGee
08-25-2010, 11:18 AM
If not for the auto, our chances would be like 2 in 42 - both of our wins were in Missouri. I don't think the GAB Invite counts - but if it did, it would be 1 in 39 chances as that was in Kansas.

WOW! The competition is stiff in your neck of the woods...:shocked: We actually won 8 GC's this season but couldn't draw enough teams to make them qualifiers...even with two of them having $7500.00 and $10,000.00 purses...go figure...:confused:

swamprb
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM

I would really like to invite any Brethren in search of invite opportunities to consider a PNWBA BBQ Vacation next season! I know some teams have said they prefer to cook KCBS for the points race, but we have some great events with very nice payouts. WA, OR, ID, MT and Western Canada are beautiful areas and the majority of the events are qualifiers! Hell we earned 2 GC's that didn't have enough teams and $10,000 in prize money! We wouldn't be having this conversation about PODS, as we'd be sitting on the Jack perch with R&Q in Automaticsville!

JD McGee
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I would really like to invite any Brethren in search of invite opportunities to consider a PNWBA BBQ Vacation next season! I know some teams have said they prefer to cook KCBS for the points race, but we have some great events with very nice payouts. WA, OR, ID, MT and Western Canada are beautiful areas and the majority of the events are qualifiers! Hell we earned 2 GC's that didn't have enough teams and $10,000 in prize money! We wouldn't be having this conversation about PODS, as we'd be sitting on the Jack perch with R&Q in Automaticsville!

About time you chimed in...where you been...hangin' out in that hammock again? :twisted: