PDA

View Full Version : Comp Cost and Who Pays?

BBQ_MAFIA
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
How do you guys handle competition expenses with in your teams?

Does the team captain incur all the expenses or do you split it up within the team?
Do some supply the "Stuff", (Cooker and Gear), while others pay entry fee's?

Harbormaster
08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey Guido,
I'm no big time competitor, I just do one a year.
This is the first time I have a pertner, and we are splitting meat and entry fee costs 50-50. We will split any winnings 50-50 as well.
My cookers, I'll supply charcoal etc...

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
since its my team I try to supply everything, My brother E.Z. Mac bought a cube van and we use it for transportation now rather then taking 2 trucks. He is always ready to throw cash in if needed, I guess Im very lucky that way he even pays for the gas. He askes for some of the left over Q for his friends and family which is easy to do because I cook so much meat. Dishwater (another brother) helps clean up and stuff, again just asking for left overs.

Smokesman
08-23-2010, 11:34 AM
It kinda one of those things that develops as the team develops. It is expensive so the person footing the bill keeps any and all winnings. My BBQ partner and I split the costs pretty evenly. He pays the entry fee and I buy the meat and we each get ourselves there. Leading up we try to split up remaining costs for incidentals. Since we both cook a lot away from comp we have very similar gear lists. We use an inventory list so we only bring duplicates of key things w/o over packing for comps.

If competing enough to start winning some money is the goal then obviously since the total cost leading up to actually winning can add up some thought needs to be given to adding teammates that want a part of the action and how to "buy in".

I think most teams that have been established for a while do like we do. We always invite interested people to come and help out and in doing so we will feed them so their only expense is getting there.

CivilWarBBQ
08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
We have sponsors that underwrite the team with product and some cash. Prize money and funds raised from product sales and cooking classes also go into the team fund. When the team account gets low, each of our team members writes a check to the team. We try to keep it equal, but if somebody is tight on funds and others have extra money allowances are made.

thillin
08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I cover cost and any winnings go back into the comp fund. If a teamate wants to cover half, then I'd split the winnings.

MattCom
08-23-2010, 08:31 PM
There's 3 of us, we all share the costs and prizes.

JD McGee
08-23-2010, 09:31 PM
50/50...expenses and winnings! :thumb:

The Pickled Pig
08-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Competition expenses like entry fees, meats, garnish, rubs, sauces, supplies, etc. are split evenly as are prize monies. Although my team mates have always volunteered to contribute, I pick up most capital costs like trailer, smokers, equipment, etc. so we have no property disputes. Personal expenses like transportation, lodging, food and drink, etc. are left to each team member. Leftovers are split on an as needed basis (i.e., upcoming family events) or tossed.

I handle all of the team expenses and reconciliation. The key for us has been trust and friendship. A lot of expenses go unclaimed by every team member for each contest. We do a good job planning for expenses and we've never had an argument over money. If anything, I biatch about everyone not submitting valid expenses...even when we win.

I keep all of the ribbons, tropihies and awards.

smokaholic
08-24-2010, 11:29 AM
My teammate and I split entry fee. He has the most gear as Im slowly collecting it all instead of buying about 2grand of equipment (not including smoker) on my own. We split meat categories in half so I will do like brisket and ribs and he will do butts (teehee do butts) and chicken. We pay for our own meat, bring our own smokers and vehicles so we can leave when we want or show up at different times. Winnings go to whatever category we won but if and when we get a gc or rc its going to be 50/50.

ique
08-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Competition expenses like entry fees, meats, garnish, rubs, sauces, supplies, etc. are split evenly as are prize monies. Although my team mates have always volunteered to contribute, I pick up most capital costs like trailer, smokers, equipment, etc. so we have no property disputes. Personal expenses like transportation, lodging, food and drink, etc. are left to each team member. Leftovers are split on an as needed basis (i.e., upcoming family events) or tossed.

I handle all of the team expenses and reconciliation. The key for us has been trust and friendship. A lot of expenses go unclaimed by every team member for each contest. We do a good job planning for expenses and we've never had an argument over money. If anything, I biatch about everyone not submitting valid expenses...even when we win.

I keep all of the ribbons, tropihies and awards.

This is exactly how we run our team. We'll start the season with everyone (7 guys) putting $500 in a team bank account and ride it as long as possible.

Big George's BBQ
08-24-2010, 11:33 AM
I am the cash cow for our 3 man team

Sawdustguy
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
How do you guys handle competition expenses with in your teams?

Does the team captain incur all the expenses or do you split it up within the team?
Do some supply the "Stuff", (Cooker and Gear), while others pay entry fee's?

My brother Gary and I split it. Up until recently I paid most of it because he has a son in college (Kyle at Johnson and Wales). Now it's pretty much 50-50. I supply the cooker and most of the gear.

2Fat
08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
I am the cash cow for our 3 man team

sounds darn familiar!! Most of our 'friends' in this neck of the woods think I'm friggen crazy for the money i do spend on this crazy hobby!

Scottie
08-24-2010, 02:22 PM
This is exactly how we run our team. We'll start the season with everyone (7 guys) putting $500 in a team bank account and ride it as long as possible.

Who gets to keep the trophies? :becky: