PDA

View Full Version : If you could change 1 thing

WineMaster
08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
If you could change 1 thing about Competition BBQ. What would it be.

big brother smoke
08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Make it solely a meat contest!

rksylves
08-17-2010, 12:00 PM
The fact that I haven't won a GC, yet.

Russ

Spydermike72
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Earlier Awards Ceremonies!!

mfreeman73
08-17-2010, 02:17 PM
More trained judges. There are a lot of good judges out there, but there's a lot of ignorant judges, too, that score on ridiculous scales such as never giving a nine or giving out a five to something that clearly isn't below average. I hear stories like that all the time and it drives me nuts. I judge comps here and there and I give it a nine if it's really good and I don't give it anything below a six unless it really is below average. Just a pet peeve of mine. :P

Lake Dogs
08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
For which sanctioning body?

KCBS - I'd probably want to eliminate allowance of greens in the box.
GBA - Pork loin, BBQ? Really. No, replace it with Brisket.
FBA - No chicken; chicken ain't BBQ, is it? Maybe it is.
MIM/MBN - Perhaps weigh the scoring WAY down for on-site. Meaning blind is 90% of the score, on-site is 10%.

Ford
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Nothing. It ain't broke so don't mess with it.

But I wish I could cook a little better and more consistently.

Dale P
08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Remove the pork rule.

Anchors Smokeshop
08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I wish the pay-outs were greater. I would love to quit my job and become a professional pitmaster. :becky: I'm sure my wife feels differently. :mad:

ThomEmery
08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Add more surprise side dish categories :)
And then the results would eliminate the bottom 33%
Oh this would be very popular I just know it

You know I am teasing right?

Dr_KY
08-17-2010, 04:10 PM
More comps closer to home.

Comps and events non conflicting.

Less moaning, false hype and more cooking. :)

Destroy the clicks!! If ya don't like someone then just out cook them. :)

WineMaster
08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
How about in a turn in box, with a 2" foam platforn covered with Indoor/Outdoor Carpet that your meat gets put on so all boxes look the same EXCEPT for the meat. Then and only then the MEAT will get an APPEARANCE score.

Yakfishingfool
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
drop the greens and go with green boxes.

Smokesman
08-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Judging - one extra step to become a CBJ - you have to cook with a team first - then to remain certified some sort of yearly continuing education be it a questionnaire, cooking with a team, etc. Finally, for KCBS, every issue of the Bullsheet should have a judging article that covers the latest FAQ's, rustlings, tips, etc.

Sledneck
08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
AT the Battle of the BBQ brethren I would make it mandatory that we carry SmokeInDaEye around the contest site in a sedan chair so that we may pay respect and honor his achievements.

CivilWarBBQ
08-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Spread out the money by requiring payouts through tenth place.

Rich Parker
08-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Replace chicken with spam.

luckyduk
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
How about in a turn in box, with a 2" foam platforn covered with Indoor/Outdoor Carpet that your meat gets put on so all boxes look the same EXCEPT for the meat. Then and only then the MEAT will get an APPEARANCE score.

It is funny you say that because a guy that helps me(never been to a comp until this year) that is his idea also :-P but I bet you can guess what his job is :becky::becky: he says it is for sanitation reasons though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do like the idea of some continuing education for judges though!

Ron_L
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
It would be nice to figure out some way to make judging more consistent. I doubt it will ever happen, but I can dream, can't I? It ticks me off to no end to see APPEARANCE score like 999955. This seems to be more and more common. How can 4 people think the box in front of them looks excellent and two people look at the same box and think it is below average?

Butcher BBQ
08-17-2010, 08:48 PM
The only thing I can think of is a standard format for the contest. All turn ins start at the same time, awards be at the same time, meat inspection be at the same time, cooks meeting be at the same time. Then we don't have wonder what were walking into from week to week.

The Pickled Pig
08-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Weight the payouts towards overall place rather than categories.

Sledneck
08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Let jacked up win ribs, tired of all his whining

Sledneck
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
payout $13 to every 13th place chicken winner

Smokenstein & monster crew
08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
but who gets to carry him....what an honor

Sledneck
08-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Replace chicken with spam.

then we would get muffin pan spam

Candy Sue
08-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Keep it fun.

ZILLA
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
LSBS
IBCA
TGCBCA

No longer allow the turn in judge to look at the boxes. Send them in to the judging tables and let the head judging official disqualify boxes on the spot.

dmprantz
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I think it would be nifty in KCBS to have the turn in order Chicken, Pork, Brisket, Ribs. An extra hour of sleep and a "Hot and Fast" penalty:)

dmp

Spanx
08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
They need to add a pitfire and sidewinder challenges and make everyone cook catfish, alligator, rattle snake, and coleslaw, if they are not good you don't even get to enter your BBQ to be judged!

JUST A JOKE that would suck!

Podge
08-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Pay out top 10 overall instead of top 10 in each catagory.

SmokinOkie
08-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Change the judging system by training the judges to a standard, someone monitor the judges (ala NBA, NFL, etc) and continually improve the judging process.

CBQ
08-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Have a score review process for low scores.

I got two comment cards in the same contest last year from judges that gave my pork a 4 because it was too cold. Hey, if my pork sucked by all means give me a 4, but giving me a 4 for something that KCBS rules say you are not supposed to judge on - what's up with that?

Maybe the table captain or KCBS rep should question the judges about low scores like that, especially when the judges are marking someone down for an invalid reason and putting it writing. Maybe this doesn't change the score, but would help educate the judges with regard to KCBS judging standards.

We went back to the same event this year and took our pork took 3rd place. Guess it was a warmer day. :becky:

mfreeman73
08-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Have a score review process for low scores.

I got two comment cards in the same contest last year from judges that gave my pork a 4 because it was too cold. Hey, if my pork sucked by all means give me a 4, but giving me a 4 for something that KCBS rules say you are not supposed to judge on - what's up with that?

Maybe the table captain or KCBS rep should question the judges about low scores like that, especially when the judges are marking someone down for an invalid reason and putting it writing. Maybe this doesn't change the score, but would help educate the judges with regard to KCBS judging standards.

Stuff like this seems to be a big problem. It shouldn't be since when you take the CBJ class they clearly tell you not to mark down for stuff like temperature, but some people probably don't pay as much attention in the class as we all did. I'm all for any kind of reeducation process with CBJs. And I'm all for making them cook with a team before they judge. Yeah, I know you have to to become a Master judge, but it wouldn't hurt the regular judges either to see what actually goes into doing this stuff.

Maybe there should be some kind of review process. Like when they stick all of the judges scores in the computer and over time if you're marking much lower, on average, the the other people at your table, the computer spits your name out and someone at KCBS comes and gives you a swift kick in the rear and straightens you out (aka re-educate).

Bentley
08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Contest provides the meat, all from the same company, everyone cooks the same grade, and same meat supplier!

To take that a step further, you all cook the same amount of meat, ie one team does not get to cook 6 brisket and another team one.

Jeff_in_KC
08-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Contest provides the meat, all from the same company, everyone cooks the same grade, and same meat supplier!

To take that a step further, you all cook the same amount of meat, ie one team does not get to cook 6 brisket and another team one.

That's the day I give it up.

roksmith
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM

I'm actually digging on that one. Some luck of the draw for sure as no 2 pieces of meat are the same. But there would be alot more skill involved in getting a good turn in if you're cooking one brisket, one butt, one slab of ribs and just 6 pieces of chicken.

..certainly would have to pay closer attention...

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

KC_Bobby
08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
We had a comp that provided a 6 pack of thighs, a rack of ribs, 1 butt and 1 brisket.

the chicken skin still had feathers
the ribs had broken bones
the butt was barely 5 lbs
and the packer looked about the size of a flat

Bet the one man teams would love getting to a comp and then have to trim all their meats on site. Granted 6 thighs, 1 rack of ribs, 1 butt and 1 brisket wouldn't take that long, once in a while teams won't come til later in the day so they can get a full work day in if the comp is near - then it could be a time issue.

CBQ
08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Stuff like this seems to be a big problem. It shouldn't be since when you take the CBJ class they clearly tell you not to mark down for stuff like temperature, but some people probably don't pay as much attention in the class as we all did.

Maybe some kind of online recertification course that judges have to take every couple of years would be a good idea. There is a lot of subjectivity to judging, but one could cover the basics like temp, what's supposed to be in the box, etc.

Lake Dogs
08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
We had a comp that provided a 6 pack of thighs, a rack of ribs, 1 butt and 1 brisket.

the chicken skin still had feathers
the ribs had broken bones
the butt was barely 5 lbs
and the packer looked about the size of a flat

Bet the one man teams would love getting to a comp and then have to trim all their meats on site. Granted 6 thighs, 1 rack of ribs, 1 butt and 1 brisket wouldn't take that long, once in a while teams won't come til later in the day so they can get a full work day in if the comp is near - then it could be a time issue.

Curious, did they have a rule where you had to cook and present only
the meat supplied?

<--- thinking, POUNCE. Bring good meat.

AZScott
08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Maybe some kind of online recertification course that judges have to take every couple of years would be a good idea. There is a lot of subjectivity to judging, but one could cover the basics like temp, what's supposed to be in the box, etc.

I think this is a really good idea. It would be simple to do really. The course could be accessed on the KCBS site and there would be a yearly review with a test taking all of 30 minutes. It could be videos so it stays entertaining with a small test between sections and a larger test towards the end. At least with something like that the instruction online would be the same for each and every judge.

KC_Bobby
08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Curious, did they have a rule where you had to cook and present only
the meat supplied?

<--- thinking, POUNCE. Bring good meat.

No, but it was only our 2-3 comp so we actually cooked the pork butt and brisket - not really realizing the difference at that point. Even if we had brought our own, I don't think we had the competitive skills or knowledge to make the difference - we were still butchering our turn ins.

I know we didn't use the chicken, cause I remember having it trimmed ahead of time (the little bit of random trimming I was doing).

Now with the experiences I'd had - I don't think a pounce factor exists - too many experienced cookers everywhere that are wise enough to know what's going on and not to use the freebie meat for the comp.

dmprantz
08-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe some kind of online recertification course that judges have to take every couple of years would be a good idea.

Not a bad idea at all. If a lot of ppl think this is would be good and you're able to get the BOD to bite, lemme know, as I'd love to help out. I work for a company that just happens to do this exact same thing! We specialize in medical continuing education, but for the right circumstances, would could do other CE. We do the whole works with quizes after the course and keeping track of who takes and passes what....

dmp

Mister Bob
08-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Throw out the high AND the low score of each category. An inexperienced judge that calls a 6 a 9 is as bad as one that calls a 9 a 6. At least for cooks that consistently turn in a high quality product.