PDA

View Full Version : Will/When BBQ catering calls die down for winter

HBMTN
08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
For those that cater BBQ only in parts of the U.S with cold winters when will the catering calls die down for winter? I'm in Va and after October the weater starts to get cold. This is our first year catering and concessions and I have been hitting it pretty hard since April 1st. Right now I am wide open til mid September and then two festivals in October and I am ready for a break. Just wondering when to expect it to die down.

grillfella
08-15-2010, 12:23 AM
your gonna expect no money LOL hopefully holiday parties will start kicking in

Chuckwagonbbqco
08-15-2010, 01:33 AM
It doesn't get cold here---but it gets rainy, and people do not want BBQ during rainy seasons.

We stay very busy until the end of October---we always say that after Halloween it goes away.

December is always busy even if the weather is bad---but after Christmas and maybe a New Years Eve gig--things die down until March.

We always vend at a very large event in January every year --just so we don't forget how to cook.

The best way to have a good job in the "off" months is to create a party and promote it.

Plowboy
08-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Usually November and December are big months with holidays. We sell a lot of 5 and 10 lb packages of meat during that time.

big brother smoke
08-15-2010, 11:10 AM
May - October are my bread and butter months. Anything between and I count that as gravy!

The Drill Sargent
08-24-2010, 10:31 AM
You might want to think how to market drop off meals, ie. thanksgiving dinner, holiday parties, "your friends will think you did it yourself!" that type of thing, also develop more of a winter menu, turkey, duck, roast beef, prime rib. Get the info to places with people who have money like country clubs. Just my 2 pennies!

Ashmont
08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
My suggestion to everyone is to get contact info email addresses ect. Thanks giving rocks on turkeys, Superbowl rocks for prepacked vac sucked pulled pork that the customer can thaw and rewarm. nutting better than having bbq year round at your finger tips. Prepacked frozen bbq for sale in winter months will bring in some $$ keep customers happy and prolly gain a few if they know they can get their fix 365. Let them know that you offer this. You also cook and stock up the freezer when you want to!

jbrink01
09-06-2010, 09:44 PM
We book through the end of December with great regularity. This year we took a 400 person job on New Years Eve. Holiday parties are a great revenue source. January, February and March are our off months, and very welcome.