PDA

View Full Version : Howdy Gang!!

BigBelly
08-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Gang,

I'd have to admit guys you all took me by storm when I made my first post inquiring about the weight of the Bandera. This community is a fast responsive one chock full of helpful friendly folk.

Being that I came out the corner with questions in hand I have seem to forgotten my manners. Let me introduce myself, formally.

My name is Thomas and I live in Annapolis Maryland. I am 30 years old, married for almost 8 years, and have a wonderful little girl, age 7 . The next bundle of joy is due this coming March 05 and boy and I stoked. Maybe I will be blessed with a boy so I can offset the balance in my household. Heck, I need someone to pull mah finger or sumtin!

Seriously, I work in Telecomm but was in the food industry since I was twelve years old. That gives me almost 14 years of experience dealing with food. I am not to pro from Dover but I have worked in a myriad of positions ranging from a Prep Cook to an Executive Chef. Being that I do not work with food as a profession anymore I love to cook, talk, dream everything food.

I am currently in the process of starting up my own catering company with big dreams of expanding out into concession of BBQ. The purchase of the Bandera is my first business venture and so far it feels right. I know it is very competitive and the failure rate is high. If I fail then Ill have an awesome smoker at home that will cater to my every BBQ whim. If I succeed then I will be one happy camper! Looking at the size of the Bandera it appears that I will be able to cater small groups of people as well as start getting in sausage fabrication. In addition to catering (doing mostly drop n gos) I wanted to make scalable kits that can be as simple as meat by the pound, maybe with just one sauce to full on kits that include everything from seasonings, sauces, meats, salads, and condiments. Of course cooking, reheat, and storage would be included.

My business venture as it stands will be done in three phases. The first phase being the purchase of the Bandera (cross that off my list). After I get my feet firmly in place I was going to research acquiring a mobile cooker so I can then do the bigger onsite venues. I am not a fan of having to try my hand at lugging this Bandera around, which, right now will not be an option. The parties surely would benefit from having a smoker and a Chef onsite and could be the centerpiece of conversation for guests while ensuring them they are getting authentic southern style barbecue.

Step three is the bigger plunge of the three, the purchase and or the building of the concession trailer. You know what really ticks me off to high heaven? When I go to any local event, either it be the county or state fair, carnival, or baseball game I see people trying to peddle the most pathetic looking BBQ I ever laid my eyes on. It does not take much skill to cut open deli meat and cook the bejesus out it in order to get a charcoal black coating! However, these boys are making out like three legged bandits by charging an arm and a leg for this inferior Q. I feel it is a civic duty of mine to shut these boys down! To get out there and really show them the errors in their ways.

Sorry about the long rant, it tends to be one of my few hallmarks.

This place looks great. I hope you fellas n gals have some comfy chairs.

Best Regards,

kcquer
08-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Thomas, Welcome Brother. Your culinary experience will certainly be valued here as will your passion for BBQ.

Bill-Chicago
08-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Glad to have you BB

You got a fire burning in you that alot of brothers share.

Glad you found us!!

And Welcome!

Bill-Chicago
08-06-2004, 03:14 PM
And oh yeah.

I heard a couple comments from people how slow the board is today, so if you think we answered your questions quick earlier, you ain't seen nothing.

Friday is usually a bit slower.

Again, Welcome!!

badger
08-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Welcome BB. Definitly keep us posted on your venture. It is a dream a lot of us have.

MikeG
08-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey big belly..they way we like to cook
and eat..the name could be generic..
Welcome hope you enjoy being a part
of the family.
MikeG

parrothead
08-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Welcome fellow bigbelly.

Smoke4Brains
08-06-2004, 03:52 PM
I guess it's okay for one newbie to welcome another.

Looking forward to hearing more about your venture, Thomas.

Bill-Chicago
08-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Its okay to post anything and everything here, new or old.

<---- see what I mean, way to yappy, and no ones complaining (today anyway)

parrothead
08-06-2004, 04:47 PM

I've gotten three phone calls already you mouthy bitch.

Neil
08-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Welcome fellow bigbelly.

Ditto on the welcome from another big belly. Enjoy what you learn and share your knowledge with us. It's what were all about.

badger
08-06-2004, 05:07 PM

I've gotten three phone calls already you mouthy bitch.

Sorry Greg, I forwarded the call centers # to you. :lol:

Trout_man22
08-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Wlecome BB wish you all the best in you new business venture and additions to your family both the smoker and the child.

Trout

rbsnwngs
08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Welcome BB from another who has done exacty what you are planing. If you have any questions please ask I'll be happy to try and help out. I started "Willie B's BBQ Catering" Last Aug. and it is going great. Have also done some research on the trailer idea.

Mike(Mi)
08-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Howdy

chad
08-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Greetings.

Keep us advised as to the business progress. Several of us are persuing the same goals in different parts of the country.

slat
08-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Glad to have you in the gang BB. Hope that all goes well in your venture.

racer_81
08-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the group, Mr. Belly.

tommykendall
08-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Welcome Belly Button. If'n you chopped that intro into individual posts per sentence, yer post count would be almost 100 already. :lol:

tommykendall
08-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Hey big belly - just realized I'm only 50 minutes away from you. Not for long tho - 3 weeks from today it's Socal bound.

Solidkick
08-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Welcome my new brother! Glad you joined us!

BigBelly
08-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Thank you all for the warm replies. I can see there is enough room for more brothers to find a cot!

Tommy: Yeah, but SoCal weather simply rocks! By the way, are you going to be at the BBQ Bash here in Bel Air this coming weekend (13-14th)?

http://www.belairbbqbash.com/

I will be more then happy to try to share my pitfalls and my successes with all so we can learn from eachother respectively.

RBSNWNGS: Awesome!!! I would love to talk yer ear off if I could about what you have going on, what your future plans may be, and especially that trailer you have been researching. Mind if I email you?

Do you have a website?

I would love to chew the fat wit ya's!

tommykendall
08-07-2004, 05:22 PM
are you going to be at the BBQ Bash here in Bel Air this coming weekend (13-14th)?

no unfortunately - volunteered there 2 years ago. too busy right now with work and moving logistics

cabo
08-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Welcome to our little corner (but growing) of Nirvana.

midnight
08-07-2004, 09:51 PM
welcome.

I had an idea for a catering trailer. Mount a bandera and a "brinkman" dera back to back on a trailer. Add on some steel prep tables and a place to store your wood/ charcoal and your good to go. It would all fit on a 8X5 trailer real nice.

I had planned on doing this myself untill I built my own custom smoker.

p.s. I sent you a p.m.