PDA

View Full Version : How to get last place ribs!

Jacked UP BBQ
08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Smokin Guns Hot
Blues hog
Maple syrup
Butter
Apple Juice
Turninado sugar
Cook perefectly and turn in!

Not the best looking box we ever turned in but to get 5's holy chit!

Jacked UP BBQ
08-09-2010, 03:28 PM
There were some other basic ingredients used but nothing crazy and they tasted good!

ique
08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Those dont look like DAL ribs. The gouge in the middle rib is unfortunate, but they look pretty good.

Scottie
08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Maple Syrup? This wasn't a NEBS event was it? :icon_shy

KC_Bobby
08-09-2010, 03:43 PM
What did you get 5s in ... taste?

ique
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM

Must of been. NY is a subsidiary of NEBS.

SmokeInDaEye
08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
That's amazing to think those are the worst out of 37 teams. Did you soak them in bleach?

Jacked UP BBQ
08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
5's in everything pretty much. I had one 9 in appearance, they obviously didnt see te middle ****ty rib! So I think the judging was out of line from all angles, 9 and 5's= pathetic

Jacked UP BBQ
08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I am anything but a sore loser but after I was approached and spoke to some of the people involved with judging and the kcbs. I have reason to believe that there was a mess up in the tent! That is just my thoughts and I really dont care because its over. But I think they know there was a problem. I didnt complain it was brought to me.

SmokeInDaEye
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
5's in everything pretty much. I had one 9 in appearance, they obviously didnt see te middle ****ty rib! So I think the judging was out of line from all angles, 9 and 5's= pathetic

Must have hit the same table as my pork shoulder.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM

Instead of the famous honey!!!!

beerguy
08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
i know a little something about DAL ribs-been there, done that- and those HAD to taste better than mine!

Muzzlebrake
08-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Don't make me call you a m*******:boxing:

Bbq Bubba
08-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Really??? :rolleyes:

Saw your score last night and thought for sure you just missed a turn in.

Theres no reason for low scores with that presentation ot that taste profile (minus the added sweet). Must have been a mistake, right? :crazy:

B C BBQ
08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Must have hit the same table as my pork shoulder.

That's what I was thinking after reading both posts.

Why would a KCBS official come to your site and make a comment about your ribs. Were they called to the table to discuss the box so they knew they were your ribs?

Sucks even more when you pull a 2nd, 3rd and 5th in the other categories.

I was scratching my head about that since reading the results when they got posted yesterday. Then you mention the KCBS official visit and ????
WTF did they do drop your box onto the table/floor?

Sledneck
08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
you still use blues hog on ribs? thats about as popular these days as lettuce for that salad in the box

grossepellets
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I feel your pain - 2,3,5 and dead last makes no sense on that one

grossepellets
08-09-2010, 04:26 PM
you still use blues hog on ribs? thats about as popular these days as lettuce for that salad in the box

looks like parsley to me:boxing:

jonboy
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Newbie question,
Should there be only 5 ribs?
I thought that kcbs required 6 per box
jon

B C BBQ
08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Newbie question,
Should there be only 5 ribs?
I thought that kcbs required 6 per box
jon

There are 10 ribs in that box.

CBQ
08-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Pretty much. :-D

All the NY Events are NEBS events except this one and Oinktoberfest (which, curiously, is in September.)

I think the problem here is that the ribs should have been boiled in beer first for that smokey flavor. :thumb:

jonboy
08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
There are 10 ribs in that box.

I guess that i qualify for blind judge now.:icon_blush:

Thanks,
jon

ique
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM

How would you know, I thought you retired?

SaucyWench
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Y'all got a tough crowd out there! Can't taste through a computer, but those do not look like ribs that should be scored 5 in appearance.

mjl
08-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Just curious, why weren't you using your own Jacked Up BBQ rub?

Matt

Contracted Cookers
08-09-2010, 07:17 PM
looks like a marked box. first row third rib from right.grasping for straws that just sucks. feel your pain brother.

B C BBQ
08-09-2010, 07:20 PM
looks like a marked box. first row third rib from right.grasping for straws that just sucks. feel your pain brother.

He wasn't DQ'd so it wasn't marking, but that is an interesting perspective.

Just Smokin' Around
08-09-2010, 07:31 PM
The ribs 'look' fine. And, looks is only a fraction of the score. If you got 5's in Taste and Tenderness, something was probably messed up. It must have been the 'lighter fluid they tasted' :crazy: Whatever the heck happened, it sounds like you took it well and moved on - you should get lots of credit for that. Really, most would rant and fume for days over this and you didn't. Well done.

Ceedubya
08-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't know about DAL ribs, but I know how to get a 14 out of 25 and it wasn't too far off from what you did. except my wife ran the presentation and had all 10's and 9's (this is a PNWBA event and they changed to a 1 to 10 score range).

On another note, this is how you get 3rd place ribs and a trophy. At this same comp they had to build an emergency team to make the magic number 25 so they rounded up a couple of guys and two WSM's that were not in use. I gave them a pork butt and a rack of ribs and they got other meats from some other teams. they rounded up 2 WSM's and one of my teammates, Paul, monitored the cookers all night for them.. they used some huckleberry rub that I thought was horrible and ran to the store and bought some sweet baby rays. Paul did not know they lid did not fit tight one one of the WSM's unless you give it a shove and ran the cooker up to 320 at one point, overcooked the ribs and did a horrible job cutting them up, that was his words not mine. He didn't do it on purpose, he was honestly trying to do his best with what he had. My wife helped him with his box, but it was a quick throw together, not pre-prepped like ours. They got a 3rd place call, a call that would have taken our team from our 5th place overall to a shoe in for reserve GC if we had gotten it instead of our 14th. Oh yeah, the wife's box was what broke what could have been a 3 way tie between 3rd and 6th to put them over the top.

Boy was I happy about all that........ :mad2:

markpmc
08-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Rookie judges? Sometimes the new judges penalize teams if they aren't served exactly what they were expecting. STL instead of LB/BB. Pulled vs. sliced. etc

Did they have a judges class the day before?

Muzzlebrake
08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Don't make me call you a m*******:boxing:

that was kind of rude of me...........sorry

Sledneck
08-10-2010, 05:37 AM
How would you know, I thought you retired?

I am retiring at the end of this year .

Sled Favre

PS.........M*******!:becky:

I am rude, no apologies:becky:

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Guess they were lookin for those $1 bills.:doh::doh::doh:

Lake Dogs
08-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Brutal table you landed on... That's not 5's (appearance); no way. Probably not
a 9, but in no way a 5. Being a judge myself, it does tend to drive me bonkers to
get bizarre scores like that. Taste is one thing, and I dont mind the wilder scores
there, but to see 5's on something like that... Well... There's always another comp,
and another table of judges. Sorry dude!!!!

Sledneck
08-10-2010, 07:15 AM
WTF did they do drop your box onto the table/floor?
Has anyone ever heard of that happening before? Do they have to tell you? Would they call you up to possibly reconstruct your box out of sight of the judge so they dont ID your box?

MattG
08-10-2010, 07:27 AM
When I went to Kennesaw Ga. for the judging class I asked about this very scenario. What would KCBS do if they dropped a turn-in. The guy teaching the class said that he would ask the judges to take all of that into consideration and also make the team aware of the problem.

boogiesnap
08-10-2010, 07:44 AM
probably not related BUT seems worth mentioning.

theres a thread over on the pickled pig discussing a possible trend OR rumor that judges are beginning to actually score down entries that use blues hog.

it's a stretch, but i can't see any other reason those ribs would be DAL.

maybe that's what the problem at the table with box was, but it was too late to change?

Ford
08-10-2010, 07:57 AM
To answer the question on dropping a box, it's in the Rep advisories. I'm pretty sure you get a 9 in appearance or maybe it's the highest appearance score on the judges card. Either way it's covered and the reps all know the rule. Surprised none have mentioned it.

Now as to 2-3-5-dal. This year at Grand Rapids Extreme Roasters was 1-1-3-39 out of 48 teams. I believe they finished 5th. The year before I was walking away with the contest and ended up 3rd with a bottom quarter brisket box. Believe it or not I said to Merl that it was a terrible box before the awards were announced. Troy thought his pork was great and the judges did not agree. It happens to all of us if we cook enough.

ique
08-10-2010, 08:33 AM
that was kind of rude of me...........sorry

Well you are from NY, its understandable.

Scottie
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Now as to 2-3-5-dal. This year at Grand Rapids Extreme Roasters was 1-1-3-39 out of 48 teams. I believe they finished 5th. The year before I was walking away with the contest and ended up 3rd with a bottom quarter brisket box. Believe it or not I said to Merl that it was a terrible box before the awards were announced. Troy thought his pork was great and the judges did not agree. It happens to all of us if we cook enough.

I'd say learn to cook better.... If you think I didn't deserve to win any of those contests, you aren't thinking clearly Ford. Where did all of your brisket scores come in last year? you struggled and you know it. I'll end it at that.

It's insulting to me.

pigmaker23
08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
In the land of NEBS, scoring like All JAcked Up did last weekend is called "Pulling a Bobo" named after our classic 2009 Lake Placid Finish and our 2010 New Hampshire Finish, however its pretty cool that your BBQ legacy will be a verb !:-P

MikeR
08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Smokin Guns Hot
Blues hog
Maple syrup
Butter
Apple Juice
Turninado sugar
Cook perefectly and turn in!

Not the best looking box we ever turned in but to get 5's holy chit!

Same contest as you were in- don't have the scores in front of me b ut I think I finished 3 or 4 spots above you- comment card said ribs tasted and smelled fishy. About 10 people had them at my site and loved them. Smelled and tasted fishy and I beat you? Go figure.

ique
08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
comment card said ribs tasted and smelled fishy.

Were you using Danish babybacks? Common comment when using that product.

swamprb
08-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Maybe you should have Hollywood cut those spares?