PDA

View Full Version : Real bbq in Memphis

cmcadams
08-05-2010, 03:59 PM
If one were going to Memphis, what barbecue joints should be visited for real bbq?

WineMaster
08-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I liked the sauce at Corkys
Interstate was ok

Mitch
08-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Cozy Corner for Cornish hens. Nothing like it anywhere else.

deguerre
08-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Stay away from Interstate. Avoid the Rendevouz. Corky's is OK. I'd personally go to the Cozy Corner on N. Parkway or The BBQ Shop on Madison. Cozy Corner has Cornish Hens that are very good! Also, Central is kinda OK.

deguerre
08-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Cozy Corner for Cornish hens. Nothing like it anywhere else.
Great minds think alike!:thumb:

tigercc
08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Agree on Cozy Corner, BBQ Shop and Central. Germantown Commisary is pretty good as well. Also i believe the best burgers in memphis to be at Tops BBQ. There are about 10 of them so its not too hard to find one.

deguerre
08-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Agree on Cozy Corner, BBQ Shop and Central. Germantown Commisary is pretty good as well. Also i believe the best burgers in memphis to be at Tops BBQ. There are about 10 of them so its not too hard to find one.
Speaking of Tops, and I agree about the burgers - they be tasty but I prefer Hueys on Madison - I really like their sauce. Not crazy about their pp but I do like the sauce.

Big Jim BBQ
08-05-2010, 05:55 PM
What about Neely's? I've never been there but I watch their show sometimes however I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

Dave Russell
08-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I'll second the BBQ shop. I had great bb's there last year. The pork was good too, but Cozy Corner is where I want to go next time when in town to try the Cornish hens, in particular.

cmcadams
08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Someone at work is going to be there Labor Day weekend, so this will help a lot.

Boshizzle
08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
What's the problem with Interstate and the Rendevouz?

Eljay
08-05-2010, 09:27 PM
I tried a couple of places when I was there recently and The Pig on Beale was the only one that had really good BBQ. I had ribs at the Cozy Corner and they were awful - massively underdone. Didn't know about the good game hens unfortunately.

Eljay
08-05-2010, 09:28 PM

The word is they got successful enough and in enough guide books that they can churn out crap and no-nothing tourists will eat it anyway, so why bother doing it right?

Boshizzle
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
The word is they got successful enough and in enough guide books that they can churn out crap and no-nothing tourists will eat it anyway, so why bother doing it right?

That's too bad. It happens all too often.

Tazto
08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm sure I will get bashed for this post, but.....My bride and I went to Memphis about a year ago, and we made a special trip to eat ribs at the Rendevouz. Neither of us enjoyed the ribs at all. There was not even a hint of wood smoke on the ribs, and they tasted like we were chewing a dry rub off of a lump of Kingsford. Their sauces (which the Rendevouz staff highly discouraged) couldn't even help the flavor. For the first time in my life, I left uneaten ribs on my plate. Personally, I've had better ribs at convenience stores. Just my two cents.

stl-rich
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Payne's on Lamar

In Memphis there is a 'Q joint on Lamar, a converted gas station but nowhere as nice as OK Joe's.

About all they sell is chopped pork sandwiches - but what sandwiches they are. After you go to the window and order you hear the "rat-a-tat" of Momma chipping your pork - the sandwich is on a crummy hamburger bun it has a bunch of wonderful pork and some nasty looking slaw in ugly green sauce. You take a bite and you are transported to heaven. The pork is wonderful - melt in your mouth until you hit a crunchy bit of Mr. Brown. The richness of the pork is wonderful with the acidity of the slaw.

Guys, you gotta try it. The regular size chipped pork is $3.50 and the large only $5.00

dmprantz
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Rendezvous ribs are dry and grilled. Not like any other. They're okay, but most Memphis ppl stay away and leave it for the tourists. I'm not a fan, but I do like their sauce. Interstate is pretty good, much better than Neely's (Same family) and Tops. I'd send some one there before Rendezvous. Three Little Pigs on Highland was pretty good, but I think it's gone now. I like Corky's, but honestly not to go to the restraunt to eat: Portions seemed small and dry, but their bulk and catered food is really good, esp the brisket IMO.

John Wills was good, but I think it's gone. Gridley's was also really good, but probably gone, and Willingham's was okay. My favourite that I think is still there is the Germantown Commissary. Kinda outta the way, but good grub. BBQ Shop is good as well. I think that Dan Brown puts out some decent Q at Leonard's, especially considering that it's buffet style, along with BBQ spaghetti, fried catfish, and keylime pie for dessert. The last few times I've eaten there though, it wasn't quite the same, having things like chicken and dressing on the buffet (???).

I never ate at the corner, but intend to next time I am in town. If you're friend wants a really good steak sandwich, have him try Yum's, especially the one on Park and Highland. For good fried chicken that isn't Gus' try Jack Pirtles, especially the gizzards and livers. Bon Thai is really good Thai food, I like Indochina for Vietnamese. Perhaps a bit more than you asked for, but thanking about places I like to go when back in town....

dmp

frognot
08-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Lots of good info in the Brethren Road Trips section about Memphis.

Only places i've had que in Memphis are Rendevous (was not impressed) and Germantown Commissary (which i would recommend).

DivaQ has a great Memphis review on her blog: http://divaq.ca/my-memphis-experience

infantry66
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm sure I will get bashed for this post, but.....My bride and I went to Memphis about a year ago, and we made a special trip to eat ribs at the Rendevouz. Neither of us enjoyed the ribs at all. There was not even a hint of wood smoke on the ribs, and they tasted like we were chewing a dry rub off of a lump of Kingsford. Their sauces (which the Rendevouz staff highly discouraged) couldn't even help the flavor. For the first time in my life, I left uneaten ribs on my plate. Personally, I've had better ribs at convenience stores. Just my two cents.

i agree Rendevouz ribs are fast cooked and pre sliced so you think they just pull apart tom's bbq on rankin and getwell is a hole in the wall but pretty good gotta try their rib tips but be prepared to eat in your car

Diva Q
08-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Pig On Beale
Germantown Commissary
Cozy Corner
Whole Hog Cafe

and if you are in Memphis you need to go to Gus's fried chicken. Best ever. Plus their fried dill pickles rock.

infantry66
08-05-2010, 11:12 PM
or come to guntown ,ms. and try our 32 oz. steak for two =)

countyliner
08-06-2010, 05:14 AM
I prefer my ribs to any restaurant in town, however, I had the ribs at Blues City Cafe on Beale about a year ago. They were awesome!

BIGBrandon2785
08-06-2010, 06:26 AM
I went to Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ in June cuz I heard how great it was and was completely disappointed.The Ribs were chewy and the Brisket was dry.The beans and potato salad wasent even that good.But I will say I tryed a BBQ nacho and it was very good.

I heard that Pig On Beale,Corky's and Neely's BBQ (Not to be confused with Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ) is the spot to go.

If you not lookin for BBQ one day I had fried catfish and red beans and rice at a bar and grill called "Westies" and it was great.Highly recommended

Dave Russell
08-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Payne's on Lamar

In Memphis there is a 'Q joint on Lamar, a converted gas station but nowhere as nice as OK Joe's.

About all they sell is chopped pork sandwiches - but what sandwiches they are. After you go to the window and order you hear the "rat-a-tat" of Momma chipping your pork - the sandwich is on a crummy hamburger bun it has a bunch of wonderful pork and some nasty looking slaw in ugly green sauce. You take a bite and you are transported to heaven. The pork is wonderful - melt in your mouth until you hit a crunchy bit of Mr. Brown. The richness of the pork is wonderful with the acidity of the slaw.

Guys, you gotta try it. The regular size chipped pork is $3.50 and the large only $5.00

Payne's is mentioned in the new Popular Plates BBQ magazine I just picked up yesterday, on page 80.

They say, "Atop the pork goes a layer of pickly-sweet slaw. It adds up to what might be Memphis's best pig sandwich."

Sounds good to me.

deguerre
08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
FYI - Three Little Pigs is still in business. It's now on Quince Rd. but I haven't been since they moved. They used to be very good though.

Dave Russell
08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Three Little Pigs on Highland was pretty good, but I think it's gone now. dmp

No, I don't think it's gone, if I understood the owner's ex right, who's a friend of the family. She was in town recently, and I was asking her about the restaurant. She said that Charlie (and a partner, I think) has two restaurants now.

I have no idea where they're at, but even though he's her ex, she really speaks highly of his pork shoulder, especially. She does admit a lot of Memphis bbq is bad, and calls some of it "greasy". (I started to wonder who's bbq she was talking about, restaurants or competitors.:-P)

MattG
08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
We thought that Rendevouz was way over rated. We do like Central BBQ. They have Sausage plate and BBQ Nachos are crazy good. But I also must say that I love Corky's dry ribs. If you get a chance go by and get some Gus's chicken downtown. Best chicken that I've ever ate. MMMMmmmmm Gus's. :becky:

Peteg
08-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Another vote for Central BBQ and Cozy Corner. Those are by far my favorites. I'd stop at Gus's fried chicken before any other bbq joints in Memphis though.

deguerre
08-06-2010, 08:22 AM
If you want Gus's, make a little side trip into the country and go to the original:

Gus's Fried Chicken

(901) 294-2028
505 Highway 70 W, Mason, TN 38049 Get directions (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Ak48GLV__J9Z2TYnVBm4Q7GKNcIF;_ylv=0/SIG=16dom9v2a/**http%3A//maps.yahoo.com/dd%3Ftname=Gus%2527s%2BFried%2BChicken%26taddr=505 %2BHighway%2B70%2BW%26tlt=35.407609%26tln=-89.542679%26tdesc=%2528901%2529%2B294-2028%26tcsz=Mason%2BTN%26terr=9%26gid2=15045210) Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Highway 70 W and US-70/Finde Naifeh Dr

Yazoo's
08-06-2010, 08:25 AM
For the closest to a Memphis-style competition rib, go to The Pig on Beale St. or Natural Born Grillers in Southaven. Both serve John Wheeler's sauce/rub (World Champion at MIM). Central BBQ is probably the best of the rest. Corky's, Rendevous, and especially Neelys are not very good- all are living on a reputation as Memphis BBQ that was never earned. Most of the BBQ dives serve a very standard chopped product. Cozy Corner and their cornish hen being the exception.

Dave Russell
08-06-2010, 08:28 AM
"Take me down to the little white church" just finished on the radio with "...chicken 'n gravy".

Now I want some Gus's fried chicken... 'n biscuits 'n gravy for some REAL breakfast, not the greek yogurt and granola I had earlier.:wink:

ique
08-06-2010, 08:35 AM
I like the cheese and sausage appetizer plate and the cheap pitchers at Rendezvous. I like the style of ribs they serve but I'm sure all of us could do a better job at home. For a BBQ mecca Memphis really doesn't have many great bbq restaurants.

Go to Gus' Fried Chicken

sitnfat
08-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Great write up Diva my girlfriend and I are going to Memphis next weekend just for BBQ looks like we have several great places to stop.

Balls Casten
08-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I’ll agree if you are wanting typical Memphis BBQ, I would not go to Rendevous. But I will defend them a bit. The ribs are done over charcoal and a small amount of wood for 2 hours, then placed in food bags (they used to use foil) and moved to the top rack for an hour, then removed sliced and placed back close to the coals for a short period.

It is truly a dry rub and they recommend not saucing. I’m glad I had a chance to try them, the ribs were tender, moist and flavorful. Service was good and the cooks were good fun to talk to. I pride myself not in having eaten the best ribs in the world, rather that I have eaten ribs from all over the world.

Peteg
08-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I like the cheese and sausage appetizer plate and the cheap pitchers at Rendezvous. I like the style of ribs they serve but I'm sure all of us could do a better job at home. For a BBQ mecca Memphis really doesn't have many great bbq restaurants.

Go to Gus' Fried Chicken

Couldn't agree more Chris.

dmprantz
08-06-2010, 09:53 AM
FYI - Three Little Pigs is still in business. It's now on Quince Rd. but I haven't been since they moved. They used to be very good though.

Thanks! I'll have to find it next time I go back. I used to live right around the corner from there on Carnes, so I used it as a landmark.

cmcadams
08-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Pig On Beale
Germantown Commissary
Cozy Corner
Whole Hog Cafe

and if you are in Memphis you need to go to Gus's fried chicken. Best ever. Plus their fried dill pickles rock.

But do they have Killer Brownies? :-D

deguerre
08-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks! I'll have to find it next time I go back. I used to live right around the corner from there on Carnes, so I used it as a landmark.
Wow. Small world. I used to live right around the corner on Carnes too.
The new location is just East of White Station on the S. side of the street.

ytsejam
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I spent 6 months working in memphis a few years ago. And there was this little hole in the wall joint somewhere about a mile away from the airport...nothing fancy or flashy, infact a little dirty and small.i can't for the life of me remember the name, but they made some good stuff. but if you didn't know it was there, you probably wouldn't see it. I wonder if google might could help me jog my memory. and i wonder if they are still around, it has been 6 years since i was there

Louisiana Smoker
08-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Lived in Memphis for the best 11 years of my life. Cozy Corner is known for the cornish hens, Interstate is ok. Jim Neeley is bigger than life. 10 years ago he paid over 1 million for a RV. Made a fortune off of bbq. He set his nephews up in the BBQ business (Neelys). Central was started on a shoe string and has done a great job competing against the big boys in town. Central is ran by a great guy. His brisket is really awesome.
The best burger in town is Huey's. They won best burger every year for the last 315165 years. One of the founders Thomas Boggs passed away a few years ago and the local restaurant community is not the same since he passed. The company is ran by his daughters and they are an upstanding family. Give to the community and a hard working bunch of people with a passion for giving back to the community.

Rendezevous is frequented by tourist, not locals. We know better. Over priced and rude servers not to mentioned the ribs are dry and grilled.

Germantown commissary has some of the best ribs and side dishes. Small restaurant and reasonably priced.

I am fortunate to know a lot of families in the bbq and resturant industry and collectively they helped develop my passion for good Q. Damn I miss that town

cireksu
08-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Anyone eaten at Marlowes(sp?) my wife was just in memphis and ate there. Brought me back a sack of their rub that smells wonderful.

Yazoo's
08-07-2010, 07:31 AM
If you want Gus's, make a little side trip into the country and go to the original:

Gus's Fried Chicken

(901) 294-2028
505 Highway 70 W, Mason, TN 38049 Get directions (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Ak48GLV__J9Z2TYnVBm4Q7GKNcIF;_ylv=0/SIG=16dom9v2a/**http%3A//maps.yahoo.com/dd%3Ftname=Gus%2527s%2BFried%2BChicken%26taddr=505 %2BHighway%2B70%2BW%26tlt=35.407609%26tln=-89.542679%26tdesc=%2528901%2529%2B294-2028%26tcsz=Mason%2BTN%26terr=9%26gid2=15045210) Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Highway 70 W and US-70/Finde Naifeh Dr

I grew up about 5 miles from the original. The building was so bad the floor actually slanted. All the chicken is cooked in cast iron pans after being marinated for a day in who knows what. You got chicken and a piece of white bread. Beer was available in quarts only. It was AWESOME. Then it burnt down (imagine that!) and they had to rebuild according to code. They still do chicken in the cast iron here (the chicken is almost black), but at the other ones they use deep fryers and it definitely loses something. Still worth a visit though.

Also, the original is right across the street from Bozo's BBQ, which while it won't win many awards has been there forever. Pretty good for an old-style bbq joint. Famous for getting sued by Bozo the clown in a case that went to the Supreme Court. BBQ won!

hog trotter
08-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I have a friend that lives in Memphis and he goes to this place called Uncle Lou's, he say's the fried chicken is amazing.

weadjust
08-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I spent 6 months working in memphis a few years ago. And there was this little hole in the wall joint somewhere about a mile away from the airport...nothing fancy or flashy, infact a little dirty and small.i can't for the life of me remember the name, but they made some good stuff. but if you didn't know it was there, you probably wouldn't see it. I wonder if google might could help me jog my memory. and i wonder if they are still around, it has been 6 years since i was there

Possibly Tom's BarBQ on Getwell

http://www.tomsbarbq.com/menu.php

mtomto
08-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Nothing wrong with them---just that Elitist type commentary---there is a couple different styles in Memphis, and they are all to be enjoyed.

A closed mind toward food, esp Q, is like saying you only like missionary sex.

Yawn.

BIGBrandon2785
08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Nothing wrong with them---just that Elitist type commentary---there is a couple different styles in Memphis, and they are all to be enjoyed.

A closed mind toward food, esp Q, is like saying you only like missionary sex.

Yawn.
Naw not at all,im just saying from a personal experience Interstate wasent my cup of tea.No elitist about it.

Dave Russell
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Nothing elitist about dissin' the Rendevous, that's for sure. I've yet to talk to someone who liked it much, so why would I go there or recommend the place to anyone?

jetfxr27
08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Speaking of Tops, and I agree about the burgers - they be tasty but I prefer Hueys on Madison - I really like their sauce. Not crazy about their pp but I do like the sauce.

Funny, Charlies on Summer makes Huey's and Tops Burgers. We buy them by the box there, great price and great burgers.

jetfxr27
08-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Heres just a few of my Faves. Listed alphabetically of course.

A & R Bar-BQ
1802 Elvis Presley Blvd Memphis, TN 38106 (901) 774-7444 more info The sandwich at A&R is a drippy, sloppy, delicious mess. Not something that you'd want to consume in your car, if you valued your u...

River City Bar-B-Que
3465 Cazassa Rd Memphis, TN 38116 (901) 345-5200 more info River City Bar-B-Que is in a pretty rough part of town, as evidenced by the fact that the employees work in a glass enclosure to prevent ro...

Interstate Bar B Que
150 Stateline Rd W Southaven, MS 38671 (662) 393-5699 more info Satellite location for Interstate Barbecue

Corky's Bar-BQ
5259 Poplar Ave Memphis, TN 38119 (901) 685-9744 more info Barbecue here's pretty good, but very corporate. Still, worth a visit if you've never been.

Bar-BQ Shop Restaurant
1782 Madison Ave Memphis, TN 38104 (901) 272-1277 more info Barbecue sanwich on Texas toast here. Good food all around, and especially good sausage & cheese plate (A Memphis Appetizer Tradition)

Rendezvous Charles Vergos
52 S 2nd St Memphis, TN 38103 (901) 523-2746 more info The quintessential Memphis Barbecue establishment--when they're cooking right, the ribs here are excellent, but when they're off, it's like eat...

Central BBQ
2249 Central Ave Memphis, TN 38104 (901) 272-9377 more info If you're accustomed to ordering slaw on your sandwich, you might want to get it on the side the first time you have it here, because it t...

Corky's Bar-BQ
1740 N Germantown Pkwy Cordova, TN 38016 (901) 737-1988 more info Satellite location for Corky's barbecue. Not quite as good as the flagship the one time I've been, but still okay.

Leonard's Pit Barbecue
5465 Fox Plaza Dr Memphis, TN 38115 (901) 360-1963 more info Leonard's Barbecue buffet is one of the best ways of getting overweight in town. The barbecue part of it isn't as good as the sides, frie...

Neely's Bar-B-Que Restaurant
5700 Mount Moriah Rd Memphis, TN 38115 (901) 795-4177 more info The Neely's (cousins to the Interstate Barbecue Neely) run a pretty good establishment here. The large sandwich is HUGE, and the food ...

Central BBQ Summer
4375 Summer Ave Memphis, TN 38122 (901) 767-4672 Satellite location of Central Barbecue.

Bryant's Bar-BQ & Breakfast
3965 Summer Ave Memphis, TN 38122 (901) 324-7494 more info Not a barbecue restaurant anymore, but the breakfast still rocks the house. In my experience, they also make the best BLT in town--but I ha...

Pig-N-Whistle Barbecue Rstrnt
2740 Bartlett Rd Memphis, TN 38134 (901) 386-3300 more info Outside of an easier time getting in and a few differences in appetizers, Pig-N-Whistle's barbecue is indistinguishable from Corky's. Whic...

Brad's Bar-BQ
2845 Bartlett Rd Memphis, TN 38134 (901) 373-6326 Brad's has an okay sandwich, and good potato salad.

A & R BBQ-Bartlett
7174 Stage Rd # 101 Memphis, TN 38133 (901) 266-0545 Satellite location of A&R. The sandwich is the same, but this location didn't have fried pies the last time I went in. So I haven't been back.

C & J Barbecue
2019 E Person Ave Memphis, TN 38114 (901) 774-6696 I'll have to give this a try--I've not heard of it.

L & B Barbecue N Things
1329 Madison Ave Memphis, TN 38104 (901) 274-5080 more info

South Park Bar-B-Que
887 S Highland St Memphis, TN 38111 (901) 324-7676 more info

Tastee Bar-BQ
1028 E Brooks Rd Memphis, TN 38116 (901) 332-3133 more info Tastee Barbecue is located in the end of a strip mall, and the location doesn't necessarily inspire optimism for what you'd find inside. M...

Tops Bar-BQ
3970 Rhodes Ave Memphis, TN 38111 (901) 323-9865 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much m...

Neely's Bar-B-Que Restaurant
670 Jefferson Ave Memphis, TN 38105 (901) 521-9798 more info The Neely's (cousins to the Interstate Barbecue Neely) run a pretty good establishment here. The large sandwich is HUGE, and the food is ...

Tops Bar-BQ
1286 Union Ave Memphis, TN 38104 (901) 725-7527 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much mo...

Tops Bar-BQ
6130 Macon Rd Memphis, TN 38134 (901) 371-0580 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much mor...

Tops Bar-BQ
4183 Summer Ave Memphis, TN 38122 (901) 324-4325 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much m...

Tops Bar-BQ
541 Stateline Rd W Southaven, MS 38671 (662) 393-7488 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for m...

Tops Bar-BQ
5391 Winchester Rd Memphis, TN 38115 (901) 794-7936 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for muc...

Tops Bar-BQ
3353 Summer Ave Memphis, TN 38122 (901) 452-5616 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much m...

Jim & Nick's BBQ-Germantown
2359 N Germantown Pkwy Cordova, TN 38016 (901) 388-0998 more info A chain out of Birmingham, but they make some excellent food--everything from scratch. Great ribs, okay sandwiches, excellent sides,...

Whole Hog Cafe
CLOSED 5727 Quince Rd Memphis, TN 38119 (901) 324-4449 more info A chain out of little rock, Whole Hog makes fairly consistent and pretty good barbecue. The sandwich is a little weak, but the pork l...

Whole Hog Cafe
1250 N Germantown Pkwy Cordova, TN 38016 (901) 757-5255 more info A chain out of little rock, Whole Hog makes fairly consistent and pretty good barbecue. The sandwich is a little weak, but the pork ...

Commissary
2290 S Germantown Rd Germantown, TN 38138 (901) 754-5540 more info The Germantown Commissary makes good ribs, and features deviled eggs as a standard side with meals (unusual in Memphis). The sandwi...

Moma's Bar-BQ
6301 Stage Rd Memphis, TN 38134 (901) 377-9004 more info Moma's is alone in Memphis barbecue in that it appeals to a very narrow palate--specifically not mine. But it's pretty busy most of the time,...

Jack's Bar-BQ Rib Shack
5099 Old Summer Rd Memphis, TN 38122 (901) 682-3320 more info Jack's is a pretty good barbecue place, although I haven't visited since they reportedly changed ownership.

Pig On Beale
167 Beale St Memphis, TN 38103 (901) 529-1544 more info

Blues City Cafe
138 Beale St Memphis, TN 38103 (901) 526-3637 more info

Leonard's Barbecue
103 N Main St Memphis, TN 38103 (901) 528-0875 more info

Payne's Bar-BQ
1393 Elvis Presley Blvd Memphis, TN 38106 (901) 942-7433 more info

Corky's Ribs & BBQ
743 W Poplar Ave Collierville, TN 38017 (901) 405-4999 more info

Tom's Barbecue & Deli
4087 New Getwell Rd Memphis, TN 38118 (901) 365-6690 more info Pretty good, though not particularly smoky, sandwich. Pretty hot sauce; not particularly complex, but good. Very fast service--aimed pr...

A & R Barbeque
3721 Hickory Hill Rd Memphis, TN 38115 (901) 365-9777 more info

Coleman's Bar-B-Que
554 E Commerce St Hernando, MS 38632 (662) 429-9851 more info I've only had the sandwich here, which is pretty good. The place is usually busy, and serves breakfast.

Snowden Grove Pig
5960 Getwell Rd Southaven, MS 38654 (662) 890-4472 more info

Tops Bar-BQ
2748 Lamar Ave Memphis, TN 38114 (901) 743-3480 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much mo...

Tops Bar-BQ
697 N Watkins St Memphis, TN 38107 (901) 274-8600

Tops Bar-BQ
3023 Thomas St Memphis, TN 38127 (901) 353-0337 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much mo...

Tops Bar-BQ
2288 Frayser Blvd Memphis, TN 38127 (901) 353-4925 more info Tops isn't much more than a sandwich shop, but it makes a sandwich that's quite good, inexpensive, and consistent. You can't ask for much...

Big Bill BBQ
3530 Ramill Rd Memphis, TN 38128 (901) 388-9038 more info Big Bill's is reminiscent of A&R's barbecue in that it's saucy, and spicy, and generally pretty good. I'm told that the proprietor was once ...

Three Little Pigs Bar-BQ Inc
5145 Quince Rd Memphis, TN 38117 (901) 685-7094 more info

Jim Neely's Interstate Barbeque
Huh. Google Maps provided a review of a place I haven't visited, saying it was "great." Which it's not, necessarily, but it is pretty good for airport food. Anyway, I'm correcting that. Located near g...

Kelvin's BBQ & Wings
2675 Frayser Blvd Memphis, TN 38127 (901) 357-8500 more info

Big D's BBQ & Hot Wings
5020 US Highway 78 Memphis, TN 38118 (901) 565-8780 more info

Barb A Rosa's Real Pit Bar BQ
The sandwich is okay--the meat doesn't have a discernible smokiness, but the sauce isn't cloyingly sweet, and the sides (with the exception of the kinda soggy fries) are nice, and the bun is toasted. ...

Tops Bar-BQ
8490 Wilkinsville Rd Millington, TN 38053 (901) 797-9174 more info

Interstate Bar-BQ Shipping
2269 S 3rd St Memphis, TN 38109 (901) 775-1045 more info

Cozy Corner
745 North Parkway Memphis, TN 38105 (901) 527-9158 more info I've seen Cozy Corner's hot barbecue sauce described as "hallucinogenic," which isn't far from the truth. Official barbecue judges tend t...

Payne's Bar-B-Que
1762 Lamar Ave Memphis, TN 38114 (901) 272-1523 more info Folks in the know around town will tell you that Payne's has the best barbecue sandwich around, and if they're not absolutely right, they're...

Beaver Creek Bar-BQ
708 Highway 70 Arlington, TN 38002 (901) 867-1751 more info

Top Bar-BQ Inc
3320 Interstate 55 Marion, AR 72364 (870) 739-4085 more info

PS & Q Bar-BQ
510 N Missouri St West Memphis, AR 72301 (870) 735-9394 more info

Willie Mae's Rib House
321 W Broadway St West Memphis, AR 72301 (870) 732-0048 more info

William's Bar-BQ
106 S 14th St West Memphis, AR 72301 (870) 735-0979 more info

Ray's World Famous Bar-B-Que
1214 N Missouri St West Memphis, AR 72301 (870) 732-2044 more info

Showboat Barbecue
3200 Hickory Hill Rd Memphis, TN 38115 (901) 366-0242 more info

Uncle Sams Bar BQ
CLOSED. CATERING BUSINESS FORTHCOMING. 2770 Whitten Rd Memphis, TN 38133 (901) 590-1218 more info UPDATE: Closed, according to their website. Only in Memphis would one find a barbecue restaurant tuc...

Gridley's Bar-BQ
6842 Stage Rd Memphis, TN 38134 (901) 377-8055 more info This is the only location of Gridley's left open--they used to be all over Memphis, from what I understand. I've only tried another location ...

Pig-N-Whistle Barbecue Rstrnt
2740 Bartlett Rd Memphis, TN 38134 (901) 386-3300 more info Pig-N-Whistle is actually pretty indistinguishable from Corky's by most measures: Similar menu, similar prices, ribs offered wet or dry. W...

Arnold's Bar-B-Que
6721 E Shelby Dr Memphis, TN 38141 (901) 566-0005 more info

Millington Pig
8412 US Highway 51 N Millington, TN 38053 (901) 873-1328 more info

Captain John's Bar-B-Que
Captain John's Barbecue is located close to the roller skating rink in Collierville, where the Memphis Roller Derby will be practicing and competing if they don't find somewhere that isn't as inconven...

Morris Grocery
10601 Macon Eads, TN 38028 (901) 755-5804 more info Only the finest barbecue establishments also sell 40's. A free-standing cinderblock shack that apparently once housed a country gas station provid...

Coleman's Bar-BQ Pit & Grill
5175 Millbranch Rd Memphis, TN 38116 (901) 332-9929 more info

Pollard's Bar-BQ
4637 Boeingshire Dr Memphis, TN 38116 (901) 398-2987 more info Pollard's is little more than a barbecue take-out counter located in a strip mall. Two chairs sit against the wall for folks to wait fo...

Down South BBQ & Hot Wing
902 E Raines Rd Memphis, TN 38116 (901) 398-1108 more info

Reese's Bar-BQ
4606 Winchester Rd Memphis, TN 38118 (901) 366-1497 more info The sandwich isn't smoky; I presume the shoulder is roasted as there was no telltale pinkness in the meat and no noticeable smoke flavor...

One & Only BBQ and More
1779 Kirby Pkwy Germantown, TN 38138 (901) 751-3615 more info One & Only is housed in a shopping center around the corner from an Italian restaurant and next to a smoothie store. They don't offer a ...

Marlowe's Restaurant & Ribs
4381 Elvis Presley Blvd Memphis, TN 38116 (901) 332-4159 more info Located on Elvis Presley Blvd, Marlowe's works hard to cash in on The King's postmortem popularity, including amenities such as loc...

Tommy Leonard Bar B Que
6871 Highway 51 N Horn Lake, MS 38637 (662) 280-1575 more info Tommy Leonard is the grandson, I believe, of the folks who originally opened Leonard's barbecue (downtown and in East Memphis). There's...

JD's Barbq
3042 Goodman Rd W Horn Lake, MS 38637 (662) 393-5116 more info

Boss Hogg Bar-BQ
The sandwich was unremarkable--the pork had no noticeable smokiness (I would have thought it roasted had I not noticed a tiny bit of pink, charred meat that fell onto my plate), the slaw added nothing...

Bynum's Bar-BQ
1404 Airways Blvd Memphis, TN 38114 (901) 323-8227‎ The meat has just a little little smokiness, but is fairly tender, and has the distinct flavor (in the sections from the outer part of the shoulder)...

Old Style Bar-BQ
8920 Expressway Dr Olive Branch, MS 38654 (662) 895-9932 more info

Old Timers Restaurant
Old Timers describes the clientele as much as the restaurant. The barbecue wasn't bad--the shoulder had been smoked visibly, but lacked much in terms of flavor on its own. Also, it was a little dry. T...

Fat Larry's
7537 US Highway 70 Bartlett, TN 38133 (901) 386-1900 more info The location formerly housing Stables Restaurant (which I never visited) is now home to Fat Larry's Barbecue--I don't know if the exist...

Bucks Smoking Pit
1293 Mississippi Blvd Memphis, TN 38106 (901) 347-3127 more info I had high hopes for Buck's Smoking Pit: Most places that look like complete holes in the wall have fantastic barbecue. Alas while th...

Bozo's Hot Pit Bar-B-Q
342 Highway 70 W Mason, TN 38049 more info Bozo's is two things: Really far away from Memphis, and also not worth the drive. Over the years of living in Memphis I've had a number of folks rave about...

Mikes Bar-B-Que
73 Monroe Ave Memphis, TN 38103 more info

A & R Bar-BQ
22 N 3rd St Memphis, TN 38103 more info The sandwich at A&R is a drippy, sloppy, delicious mess. Not something that you'd want to consume in your car, if you valued your upholstery. There's a pinkne...

Barbecue Factory
My visit the The Barbecue Factory was notable for the fact that they locked the door behind me, because they didn't have enough money in the register to make change. Fortunately, I had correct change ...

Back Street Barbeque

Scooters Barbeque
Scooter's Barbecue was once located at Poplar and Kirby, in the location that's presently occupied by Mosa, and which was formerly a KFC. They didn't last long in that location, though based on memori...

Ken Neely's Hickory Bar B Que
7444 Winchester Rd Memphis, TN 38125 (901) 753-4116 "Ken Neely's Hickory Barb-B-Que. Category Barbeque. 7444 Winchester Rd ..."Error translating yelp.comyelp.com more info

Arnold's BBQ
The sandwich at Arnold's is powerfully smoky; the meat's 75% pink from smoke exposure, but not dried out. It's chopped a little fine for my tastes--it looks like it would do well just being pulled, wh...

Pig N Whistle

Post Office BBQ

Arlington Barbeque Co
The jumbo sandwich was a monster, filled with lightly smoky, pulled pork, slaw that was a little too watery (water from the cabbage can get into the dressing) and soaked the bun, and a little light on...

Brad's Bar-BQ

Arnold's Bar BQ
The sandwich at Arnold's is powerfully smoky; the meat's 75% pink from smoke exposure, but not dried out. It's chopped a little fine for my tastes--it looks like it would do well just being pulled, wh...

Pig N Whistle Barbecue Restaurant

Lois Pit Bar-BQ

Bar B Que Pit Inc

Big Bill BBQ
I don't know if Big Bill has opened a second location on Elvis Presley, or is moving his shop down from Raleigh, but it's a welcome addition to a neighborhood that has a half dozen Chinese buffets and...

Sam's Down South Bbq & Wings Express
Sam apparently cooks meat all day long on a smoker-grill that he keeps out in front of his establisment, enjoying the nice weather, and whipping together ribs and brisket and pork shoulder to be re-he...

William's Bar-B-Q

Family Bar BQ & Snack Bar

L & M Bar B Q

House of Thor Barbecue

All credit goes to Mr. Randall Cooper
Heres his blog

http://barbecuemap.blogspot.com/

And his interactive map.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&view=map&msa=0&msid=112248214456398359998.00044634515458a611fe6&z=10

jetfxr27
08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree about Rendezvous, for those concerned here is an example of the atrocity they call ribs
You'd get the banhammer for posting this pRon here as your own. How and the He!! are you suppose to eat that? And yes they taste like they look. Imagine dipping old dried out rib bones in a jar of bad dry rub with to much celery salt.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20091119-memphisdryrub.jpg

Yazoo's
08-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't recommend Chili's for mexican food. Does that make me an elitist?

billm
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Cozy Corner and Germantown Commissary...Also The Pig on Beale

billm
08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree about Rendezvous, for those concerned here is an example of the atrocity they call ribs
You'd get the banhammer for posting this pRon here as your own. How and the He!! are you suppose to eat that? And yes they taste like they look. Imagine dipping old dried out rib bones in a jar of bad dry rub with to much celery salt.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20091119-memphisdryrub.jpg
and then dousing them in vinegar too..

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I always enjoy Cozy Corner and the BBQ Shop. Finally ate at Germantown Commissary last weekend while looking at houses and really enjoyed it. The Pig on Beale Street is owned by or connected to Natural Born Grillers, winners of the MIM 2010 rib category. They have an inexpensive rib sample plate at the bar.

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Here's a cr@ppy picture of my rib, pulled pork and sausage plate at Germantown Commissary. http://twitpic.com/2esglz

deepsouth
08-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Lived in Memphis for the best 11 years of my life. Cozy Corner is known for the cornish hens, Interstate is ok. Jim Neeley is bigger than life. 10 years ago he paid over 1 million for a RV. Made a fortune off of bbq. He set his nephews up in the BBQ business (Neelys). Central was started on a shoe string and has done a great job competing against the big boys in town. Central is ran by a great guy. His brisket is really awesome.
The best burger in town is Huey's. They won best burger every year for the last 315165 years. One of the founders Thomas Boggs passed away a few years ago and the local restaurant community is not the same since he passed. The company is ran by his daughters and they are an upstanding family. Give to the community and a hard working bunch of people with a passion for giving back to the community.

Rendezevous is frequented by tourist, not locals. We know better. Over priced and rude servers not to mentioned the ribs are dry and grilled.

Germantown commissary has some of the best ribs and side dishes. Small restaurant and reasonably priced.

I am fortunate to know a lot of families in the bbq and resturant industry and collectively they helped develop my passion for good Q. Damn I miss that town

i lived there from 1993 to 2000 and i miss that place dearly as well. most of my friends there have moved on to other places thankfully, so i don't pine to be back on a permanent basis, but i left a lot of my heart in that town when i looked in the rearview mirror.