PDA

View Full Version : LIsle Ill BBQ Comp - 8/14

billm
08-05-2010, 07:38 AM
just curiuous of any of the Chicago area Brethren are planning to cook in the comp in Lisle on 8/14?
they were advertising it it at Westmont this year..non sanctioned comp BTW

Scottie
08-05-2010, 10:34 AM
good luck Bill. I'll be off to Michigan, so my daughter can run boxes for Rod... :becky:

This contest is to try and raise funds for cancer research. Obviously what we stand for as a team. So I hope it is a major success for all that are involved.

billm
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
good luck Bill. I'll be off to Michigan, so my daughter can run boxes for Rod... :becky:

This contest is to try and raise funds for cancer research. Obviously what we stand for as a team. So I hope it is a major success for all that are involved.
Besides being a local contest, the cause behind it is one of the main reasons im cooking it Scottie.
Hope the class went well last week BTW

Bones
08-05-2010, 11:25 AM
just curiuous of any of the Chicago area Brethren are planning to cook in the comp in Lisle on 8/14?
they were advertising it it at Westmont this year..non sanctioned comp BTW
Bartlett Boneheads will be cooking.
When are you arriving, Friday night or Saturday morning?

Brew-B-Q
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I have plans Friday so I wouldn't be able to set up until Sat morning. Which isn't too big a problem, but what are the details on the 20# of meat we need to supply?

billm
08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Friday night most likely Chris..glad some familiar faces will be cooking it

billm
08-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I have plans Friday so I wouldn't be able to set up until Sat morning. Which isn't too big a problem, but what are the details on the 20# of meat we need to supply?
pretty much what the form stated..I did tell him I had reservations about this..not so much having to supply food but having to feed the puiblic at the same time im trying to cook and box for a contest. For those of us that cook solo thats abig pain in the ass. Id be more than happy to leave them leftover meat AFTER turn-ins.
Also found out that they wont allow vehicles on grass so they will bring your stuff from your trailer to your site with an ATV??? whatever..should be interesting..hey if they want to load and unload my trailer thats cool with me :)
also ..red cup event for those that partake

Stoke&Smoke
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
We would like to, but will be attending a Jimmy Buffett tailgate/concert that day. Good luck Bill!

billm
08-05-2010, 12:57 PM
We would like to, but will be attending a Jimmy Buffett tailgate/concert that day. Good luck Bill!
thanks!
BTW - is that the one Phil Wingo is running? I was invited to that but already was cmmitted to the comp and not a Buffet fan at all

Ron_L
08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately I am out of town that week on not returning until Saturday afternoon, so we'll be missing the fun :(

Bones
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
pretty much what the form stated..I did tell him I had reservations about this..not so much having to supply food but having to feed the puiblic at the same time im trying to cook and box for a contest. For those of us that cook solo thats abig pain in the ass. Id be more than happy to leave them leftover meat AFTER turn-ins.
Also found out that they wont allow vehicles on grass so they will bring your stuff from your trailer to your site with an ATV??? whatever..should be interesting..hey if they want to load and unload my trailer thats cool with me :)
also ..red cup event for those that partake

Can they pull my trailer onto the grass for me? I do all of my work inside it and have all of my stuff in cabinets and on the shelf’s. I do not want to pack all of that stuff into totes just to cook for one day.

Bones
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM

I am not clear on this either. I do know that you need to have samples available from 12:00 to 4:00.
I wonder how many teams are cooking and how many people bought tickets. If only a few teams are cooking and he has sold a couple hundred tickets it could turn into a feeding frenzy.

It looks like all categories turn in at the same time, 4:00, which will make things very busy at the end of the day.

Bones
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Friday night most likely Chris..glad some familiar faces will be cooking it

I agree and hope more folks we know attend.
If others are going to spend the night I might. I really do not want to but it would make it easier to get started Saturday morning.

Bones
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Bill, do you know how many teams have signed up?

Brew-B-Q
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, if they don't allow trailers on the grass then it's a no-go for sure. Already enough reasons to make me think this will be a cluster. I'm all for supporting the cause, but I won't be able to pass out 20 pounds of food from 12-4 cooking by myself trying to get turn-ins in.

Scottie
08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Come on over to Michigan.... TO make you feel better. We will also be taking donations for cancer research! :wink:

Brew-B-Q
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Cant - I have family in Friday that I haven't seen for some time. By Saturday am, I'll have seen enough...

I traded e-mails with the organizer, and he said there will be a spot on the street for those with trailers. I also asked for clarification on turn in times but haven't heard back yet.

As for feeding the public, that is my biggest concern since I'd be by myself most likely.

Bones
08-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Cant - I have family in Friday that I haven't seen for some time. By Saturday am, I'll have seen enough...

I traded e-mails with the organizer, and he said there will be a spot on the street for those with trailers. I also asked for clarification on turn in times but haven't heard back yet.

As for feeding the public, that is my biggest concern since I'd be by myself most likely.

That could be tough, maybe just feed the folks until 3:00 and after that they would have to wait or put it in a pan sitting on a table. Make a small sign and put next to the pay with a nice statement so the folks know that you are busy.

Bones
08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Come on over to Michigan.... TO make you feel better. We will also be taking donations for cancer research! :wink:

I wish I could, but Brian is sponsoring this event and we have to be at it.

Bones
08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
This may be my chance to finish in the top 10, maybe top 3 if we are the only teams coming. LOL
Does anyone know how many teams are coming?

Brew-B-Q
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Turn ins are 3:30, 4:00, and 4:30 for chicken, ribs, and brisket respectively.

I wonder how many teams as well. They have a pro and amateur division, which will further dilute it. If I can make it work, I'd like to give it a shot.

billm
08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
sounds like we all have the same concerns..im sure by the day of the event there will even more changes..just roll with it and have fun I say..
seriously I would just give Steve a call and tell him your concerns with the trailers..He told me he had about 20 teams committed but no one had sent in apps..

Brew-B-Q
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
3-4 pro, 12-15 amateur per Steve.

grossepellets
08-06-2010, 06:19 AM
IS there a web link or is there still time to sign up or has that passed?

billm
08-06-2010, 07:01 AM
3-4 pro, 12-15 amateur per Steve.
I asked him what constituted a pro and he said if you owned a restaurant you would be considered a pro :)

Grosspellets..here is a link

http://www.jayneanddonnabreastcancerfund.org/BBQ_Cook_Off.html

im sure spots are still open

Bones
08-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I just got off the phone with Steve the organizer of the lisle comp. I ask him several questions and the answers are listed below. Some of the answers conflict with what has already been posted but this is what I was told today. Keep in mind that this is his first attempt at organizing a BBQ comp. This is for a great cause and I am will to accept it.

Water is available.
You can arrive at 6:00pm on Friday.
You can start cooking anytime after you arrive.
Pro team vs. amateur – A pro team is anyone who has placed 3rd or higher in a BBQ contest. This is on the honor system.
They have 3 to 5 pro teams. My guess is that it is 3 and they are Heads Red, Brew B-Q and myself, Bartlett Boneheads.
He stated that he has 10-12 amateur teams signed with several others that have told him they were coming.
Trailers can be used. They can be backed onto the grass and then the vehicle moved to the gravel 5 feet away.
Teams can still sign up, since this is a fundraiser he will take them anytime.
Turn in are 3:30 / 4:00 & 4:30
They have sold about 300 tickets so there will be a lot of folks walking around. They reduced the price down to $25 from $40 so they should sell more tickets in the next week or so.
They have insurance to cover any health concerns and accidents.

They need judges very badly. He has a couple of KCBS judges at this time.

He stated no alcohol. Alcohol is not allowed in city parks, so this will be at your discursion and own risk.
He said if anyone has any questions to call him. 630-532-8352.
I told him that the website did not have enough information and that is why I had all of these questions.
I think that I covered all the questions that have been asked and any additional that I had. If you have additional questions give Steve a call.
He is just try to raise money for cancer research and doing the best he can for a great cause.
Steve stated that he has hit several hurdles with the city and will do this on private property next year. If it is successful it will be a KCBS event.

Brew-B-Q
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks Chris - To clarify, I'm not signed up. I'd like to do it but not sure if I can.

Bones
08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Chris - To clarify, I'm not signed up. I'd like to do it but not sure if I can.
My daughter just started cheer leading and may not be able as well.

billm
08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
funny how things changed since i talked to him a few days ago..glad I didnt send my app in yet as as he told me to put amatuer unless i owned a restaurant..
so you may not make it now Chris?