PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Brew City's Best BBQ, Milwaukee, WI 9/3-4

Stoke&Smoke
08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
2 Skinny Cooks are coming....who else?

smknwhlswife
08-04-2010, 09:43 PM
We are returning!!!

Stoke&Smoke
08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow! After doing Mexico the weekend before?!? That's a heck of a back-to-back!

Will be good to see you guys again though, and we can wish you a happy anniversary in person:-D

jdbh
08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
were coming
Stoaked up BBq

Stoke&Smoke
08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Kind of a PSA if I may, Marjorie Rucker, the organizer, is looking for someone to cook for a KCBS judges class on 9/2, the day before this event. Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, so thought I would, in case folks that might be interested aren't on her email list
Dann

Good evening everyone,

As mentioned earlier last week, we are in need of a cook for the Thursday, September 2, 2010 Judge’s Class. If you or anyone you know are interested, please let me know as soon as possible and I will hook you up with Mike Lake. Thanks so much everyone and thank you all for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Marjorie Rucker
Main Street Manager
Historic King Drive BID
2212 N. MLK Dr.
Milwaukee, WI 53212
P: 414-265-5809
F: 866-237-3165

Ron_L
08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I got an e-mail from Marjorie saying that she only has 11 teams so far! If anyone is on the bubble now is the time to sign up! She needs 25 to make it a qualifier.

smknwhlswife
08-17-2010, 07:21 AM
We are trying to get some of the KC teams up, but no luck yet. We will be there whether it is a qualifier or not.

Trainwreck
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
I got an e-mail from Marjorie saying that she only has 11 teams so far! If anyone is on the bubble now is the time to sign up! She needs 25 to make it a qualifier.

If you let me sneak by you and I can get a GC this weekend you can count me in

Coz
08-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Good Luck every one .If something changes with my work situation I will hotfoot it down but in 13 years I have not been able to have that friday off.

Ron_L
08-17-2010, 07:46 PM

It's not us that you have to sneak by. It's the ringer from Kansas City that we all have to sneak by :-D

Stoke&Smoke
08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Just got the email below from Marjorie. Sure hope they find another 11 teams....in 9 days!
----------------------------------

Good morning,

You are receiving this email because you are registered to compete at Brew Cityís Best BBQ Competition this year! As you know, we are hosting another KCBS-sanctioned event but we only have 14 teams registered, and need 25 to qualify for our State Championship. Because we need at least 11 more teams to qualify, I am offering an incentive. If I have 25 teams by the due date (which means that you nudge the KCBS bushes for competitors), which is Friday, August 27, 2010, every team (including the 14 that have already registered), will be entered into a raffle to receive their $200 entry fee back! The teamís name will be drawn at the Cookís meeting on Friday, September 3 at 6pm.

Please pass along the attached competitor packet or encourage them to give me a call. If you have any questions, you know where to find me. Itís a pleasure as always to serve you and I hope to see you all on Friday, September 3. Have a great rest of the week.

Sincerely,

Marjorie Rucker
Main Street Manager
Historic King Drive BID
2212 N. MLK Dr.
Milwaukee, WI 53212
P: 414-265-5809
F: 866-237-3165

Join the BID at its 3rd Annual MLK Street Jam & BBQ on Saturday, September 4th. Visit mlkbbq.com for more information.

BearCat
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Looking forward to moving into the large lot from the street this year

Scottie
08-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Looking forward to moving into the large lot from the street this year

You can have my spot. But I get it back next year!!!

Have fun all! I always enjoyed this contest.

Stoke&Smoke
08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Per Marjorie..."All competitors will be on the perimeter of the church lot this year; someone had the audacity to get married on Saturday, September 4 which means that the church lot needed to be open on Saturday, so we’re out of luck for the lot this year but next year, definitely."

Not sure how it will work, but they do a great job there so I'm sure it'll be fine!

BearCat
08-18-2010, 01:27 PM
You can have my spot. But I get it back next year!!!

Have fun all! I always enjoyed this contest.

Nice perhaps I can get the GC that comes with the location :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Scottie
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Nice perhaps I can get the GC that comes with the location :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Well... That spot is only good for RGC and 3rd place for the overall. :becky:

FatBoyz
08-18-2010, 05:41 PM
you know your not going to the hood... i think im closer than you and i wont go.

Ron_L
08-18-2010, 07:05 PM
you know your not going to the hood... i think im closer than you and i wont go.

Why not? We had a great time last year. No issues at all.

Peteg
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Why not? We had a great time last year. No issues at all.
I'll second that. We had a great time there. No worries.

Scottie
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
I gotta say.. I bet the neighborhood that the contest is held, Is probably in better shape than some of the suburbs around me... Never once, have I had problem. I've never heard of anyone having any sorts of problems in 2 years of cooking the contest. Honestly, to say this and try to scare away teams and never having cooked it is not doing any favors for a home state contest.

Try and cook it, then critique the contest... They bend over backwards for you. They also have a great bar that we used to go and have a good time at..... :doh:

brewerjamie15
08-22-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm going to be a spectator at this event. I'm quite new to BBQ'ing and have only a little basic knowledge, but if there is a team out there that needs an extra hand for this please let me know. I would very much like to help out. I can do what ever is needed. I live just outside of Milwaukee, I'm familiar with most of the area, and I can stay out of the way when needed.

smknwhlswife
08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
I gotta say.. I bet the neighborhood that the contest is held, Is probably in better shape than some of the suburbs around me... Never once, have I had problem. I've never heard of anyone having any sorts of problems in 2 years of cooking the contest. Honestly, to say this and try to scare away teams and never having cooked it is not doing any favors for a home state contest.

Try and cook it, then critique the contest... They bend over backwards for you. They also have a great bar that we used to go and have a good time at..... :doh:

I agree!! We had a great time last year and had no problems whatsoever.

Stoke&Smoke
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Have to agree as well. We had a great time, everyone was more than nice. One of the locals brought me a cold 6 pack of beer just for having spent some time answering some of his questions! I only accepted on the condition he have one or two with me!

Police presence was extensive, to say the least, but I'm not even sure it was entirely nescessary! And again, the highlight for me (well, besides the brisket call :wink:), was the priest doing the 9:22!

As the last ones out of the parking lot (something we've become better at NOT being, by the way) security was there until the bitter end. We never felt the least bit threatened the whole time.

Looks like Dive's coming Billy, sure you won't come?

bob80001
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Anyone know where exactly the BBQers are going to be? I'd like to come down for a look and see what everybody has going on. I read somewhere (although the source escapes me now) that it was on MLK between Walnut and Brown. But that's a pretty large area...

Ron_L
08-23-2010, 04:10 PM
The judging tent was near 4th and Reservoir last year and I think it will be there this year. the teams were all around that area.

Stoke&Smoke
08-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Judges tent will be at 4th and Reservior, you should be able to find all the cooks from there!

Last year, teams were on Reservior, between MLK and 4th, and in the parking lot of St. Francis. This year, I understand there is to be a wedding at the church Saturday, so extra teams will likely be along 4th, and Brown

2Fat
08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
be your loss Billy--great opportunity to support a local contest--was a good time for sure!!

smknwhlswife
08-24-2010, 12:23 PM
She is sitting at 16 teams right now. If you know if any team that might be interested PLEASE let them know.

Stoke&Smoke
08-25-2010, 09:04 AM
down 9 teams from last year:mad:

Hope some folks jump in last minute! They do a great job, hate to see a poor turnout

Brew-B-Q
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
This one has turned into a maybe for me. Need to pull some strings to make it happen, but I've always enjoyed this contest.

Scottie
08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
This one has turned into a maybe for me. Need to pull some strings to make it happen, but I've always enjoyed this contest.

Remember the first year? You guys crapping yourself because you were over with all the "big dogs"... My how times have changed... :thumb:

Divemaster
08-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Looks like Dive's coming Billy, sure you won't come?

Stockcar BBQ is going to be there... It's kinda hard to pass this one up when we won the free entry....

Brew-B-Q
08-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Remember the first year? You guys crapping yourself because you were over with all the "big dogs"... My how times have changed... :thumb:

Yep, that was a great time. Think I learned more that weekend than all the others combined. Still can't get 4 meats to work on the same day, but maybe someday the stars will align.

HoDeDo
08-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Last year we were team #25! Come on folks, step up and come on out! It is a great event, and the organizers and volunteers really bend over backwards. Hope to see some last minute entrants... we didnt sign up until Scottie made the last minute team call last year, on 9/1!!!

brewerjamie15
08-31-2010, 08:58 PM
If any of you folks need Kingsford Briquettes, Home Depot is going to have twin 20lb bags on sale for $9.97

I'm going to attend this event as a spectator, but I'm still willing to help anyone out if needed. If nobody needs help I'm still going to swing by teams and watch. Perhaps I'll be carrying beverages.

brewerjamie15
09-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Wow. What a ton of fun that was. I met a bunch of great folks at this event, saw a little of how a competition works, and just hung out. I'll have pictures soon.

Coz
09-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Jamie ,it was nice meeting you today.
I really want to thank Andy and Kim for letting us hang out and shig a little. I am sure you gave me a lot of food for thought. I will be doing some test runs tomorrow nite into Monday. Again thanks much.

As we couldnt cook this weekend we went down today to visit and got to see a lot of our freinds. Congrats to all !

Stoke&Smoke
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
First off, a big thanks to Marjorie and all her volunteers, everyone did a GREAT job, despite some really bizarre (for Labor day weekend) weather. In the end, I think I saw only 1 easy up completely trashed.

Thanks to brewer Jamie for offering to help out with whatever he could, was great meeting you.

Also was great seeing everyone at the pot luck, food was great, as was the company.

Hope for a better turnout next year (and warmer weather!)

Ron_L
09-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Jamie ,it was nice meeting you today.
I really want to thank Andy and Kim for letting us hang out and shig a little. I am sure you gave me a lot of food for thought. I will be doing some test runs tomorrow nite into Monday. Again thanks much.

As we couldnt cook this weekend we went down today to visit and got to see a lot of our freinds. Congrats to all !

I'm sorry that we didn't get to chat, Coz. You caught me in the middle of chicken prep and I was pretty focused (not that it did me any good :-D)

Coz
09-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry that we didn't get to chat, Coz. You caught me in the middle of chicken prep and I was pretty focused (not that it did me any good :-D)

I totally understand Ron, I have an idea what goes on at a comp and I was kinda on a mission too. I also caught the Stockcar BBQ bunch in the middle of their routine. From the looks of it I musta jinxed Andy and Kim :redface:

Logjammin
09-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Milwaukee is hands down our favorite competition. Marjorie really knows how to put on a competition.

As for the area, after 3 years of chatting up the event security and police they will attest to how volatile the area can be, but thanks to Marjorie and the rest of the folks at the King Drive BID they keep the area clean, safe, and fun. No reason this shouldn't be a 35 team competition every year.

HoDeDo
09-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Great Weekend! Thank to everyone who had a hand in our impromptu Anniversary party, And the potluck grub was great!!! Even the wind couldnt keep us from having a stellar time.

It was great seeing everyone, wish we would have gotten more time to visit, we didnt get to spend much time talking with D&D (2 Skinny Cooks)!

It was great to hear all the calls for folks, alot of great competition! Marjorie threw another fun event. I love that even after only 1 prior year there, many of the volunteers remembered us by name, ( not just Marjorie, Emily, and Cleveland)... and many of the locals came back by to see us, and remembered us as well. Really makes you feel right at home.
We'll see how many times Kim and I cook on our anniversary, but if we choose to, I bet it will be at Brew City's best!

I totally understand Ron, I have an idea what goes on at a comp and I was kinda on a mission too. I also caught the Stockcar BBQ bunch in the middle of their routine. From the looks of it I musta jinxed Andy and Kim :redface:

You didnt Jinx Kim and I at all. It was a pleasure to have you around, glad you made the trip down!!! Glad we gave you some ideas to chew on.

Bud's BBQ
09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Our third year at Milwaukee and another great event. Marjorie and Emily and her entire team make you feel like you're family.

It kind of reminds you that this comp thing is not just about winning bucks and points; it's about seeing great folks like Capt Ron, Bearcat, Andy and Kim, Mike and Beth, Dive, Coz and so many others.

Especially satisfying to see Smoking Addiction on the anniversary of there first cook getting some great calls; Moose getting great calls without foil :drama:; Log Jammin' kicking it. We are so proud for you guys.