PDA

View Full Version : Interesting vegetable ideas for a wedding?

PorkQPine
07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I am doing a wedding and the customers want a vegetable side dish but I want to come up with something unusual or interesting. Does anyone have an idea?

deguerre
07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Never tried it yet but have been thinking of a stuffed and grilled eggplant...

deguerre
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Bump.

landarc
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Cooked or raw vegetables? I like veggies done in crepes, fresh pickles (not just cukes, but, squash, cauliflower, carrots, onions etc...), grilled vegetables with aioli, and grilled veggie sliders

yelonutz
07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Billl, here is one of my favorites from "NOLA". I use my home made Tasso but I'm sure it would be good with bacon.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2007/05/12/maque-choux-recipe/

NUTZ

Jacked UP BBQ
07-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Make it simple. You can do an elegant banquet vegetable simply. Take Haricot vert trim them. Take red bell peppers and julienne and cut to the same length and the beans. Take chives and blanch them in water. take about twelve beans and a few of the peppers and make a little bunch. Tie them in bundles using the chives. Make a shallot butter and drizzle on top finish with S&P and cook

southernsmoker
07-29-2010, 01:28 PM
broccoli and cauliflower cheese casserole comes to mind.

deguerre
07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I thought you were from Newfoundland, not Minnesota.:becky:

Learnin Querve
07-29-2010, 02:57 PM

In Minnesota it's "hot dish" doncha know...

Chris

southernsmoker
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM

and I thought cheese was a vegetable??:crazy::laugh:

Jacked UP BBQ
07-29-2010, 03:09 PM

I agree this is good stuff, but not wedding material.

Chuckwagonbbqco
07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Vegetable sides when requested often show the catering customer's desire to have a side dish that is "vegetarian." I love vegetables wrapped in bacon, etc.--but when asked to cook a vegetable side dish I usually try to keep it "vegetarian."

I love to smoke Potabella mushrooms with the stem knocked off and the cap stuffed with soy chorizo. Soy Chorizo replaces the meat---yet it is friendly to those that choose not to be carnivores. Soyrizo is a great product for flavor, and Frieda's Soy Chorizo is fantastic.

I also grill asparagus and serve it with home made Hollandaise Sauce----to add a kick I make Mezcal Hollandaise ---replacing lemon juice in Hollandaise with Tequilla.

A different salad can be a Jicama / Carrot salad---it is different and it is good.

As a carnavore BBQ cook I used to scoff at vegetable dishes---but as a caterer I have been forced to be more open-minded.

big brother smoke
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Hard to beat this:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/bigbrothersmoke/Ranch%20Holiday%20Party/DSC03137.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/bigbrothersmoke/Ranch%20Holiday%20Party/DSC03143.jpg

Learnin Querve
07-30-2010, 01:02 AM
A few questions...What's on the menu so far? Does the client want a vegetable side, or something to accommodate vegetarian guests? Have they expressed any preference of vegetable? If for vegetarian, can you use any dairy/cheese/eggs? How many servings? Will each plate get a serving, or will it be buffet service from a bowl or chafer?

Do they prefer a raw or cooked side? Served hot or cold? How do you plan/prefer to cook it? Cook it on site? Precook and reheat on the smoker, or cook and hold in coolers or cambros for later service?

Chris

PorkQPine
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
A few questions...What's on the menu so far? Does the client want a vegetable side, or something to accommodate vegetarian guests? Have they expressed any preference of vegetable? If for vegetarian, can you use any dairy/cheese/eggs? How many servings? Will each plate get a serving, or will it be buffet service from a bowl or chafer?

Do they prefer a raw or cooked side? Served hot or cold? How do you plan/prefer to cook it? Cook it on site? Precook and reheat on the smoker, or cook and hold in coolers or cambros for later service?

Chris

Vegi side, no mention of vegetarian guests and no preference. Whole pig and chicken cooked on-site.

deguerre
07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Vegi side, no mention of vegetarian guests and no preference. Whole pig and chicken cooked on-site.
Steph is right. Asperagus ALWAYS impresses and is a delicious side to boot.

Learnin Querve
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Fresh green beans with new potatoes are easy to cook in advance. Bacon or almonds add flavor and texture. Green beans also work with a slightly sweetened sauce with salty peanuts or cashews added in for a flavor/texture contrast.

A Prince Edward Medley (green and yellow beans and baby carrots) can be served hot or chilled. Maybe hot with butter and slivered almonds or pecans, or in a vinagarette you can go hot or cold. Adding pearl onions and/or strips of sweet red bell pepper will give another visual and flavor element. A teriyaki sauce/dressing with sesame seeds is an interesting twist. Or go tangy with some worcestershire, dry mustard, and pepper sauce in a basic oil/vinegar dressing.

Personally, I love beets about any way you fix them. Roasted baby beets with fresh rosemary or thyme require some advance prep, but can be reheated easily. Red and yellow beets look great; you can also roast baby carrots along with the beets. Honey glazed roasted baby carrots and pearl onions garnished with parsley are an option as well.

Peacock vegetables are a roasted combo of zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, red, green, and yellow peppers and fresh garlic. It's all tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parsley, oregano, s&p and roasted on sheet pans. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Another take on asparagus is to cook it in boiling water, blanch it and then drain it. Marinate the blanched spears overnight in a mixture of white vinegar, water, sugar, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, celery seeds and some salt. Serves well cold, or at room temperature.

Here in the midwest, homegrown tomatoes are coming into season. A tray of sliced tomatoes, with chopped red onions sprinkled on top and drizzled with some good olive oil is heaven on a plate. Chunks of fresh mozzarella and an assortment of tasty olives on the platter just make it better.

Hope some of these help without breaking the budget.

Chris

Grabnabber
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Wow, great post LQ, thanks for that! :thumb:

cmcadams
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Is it bbq related, or more "upscale"? If bbq, tomato pie is a great side, and easy easy easy to make in quantity.

PorkQPine
08-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Great ideas, thanks.