PDA

View Full Version : half a thigh

mobow
07-27-2010, 07:30 AM
This past weekend I judged a contest where all six of my chicken samples were a half of a thigh. Looks like a meat cleaver is taken and the thigh bone is cut in half. It is then presented to look like a small thigh. I am assuming this presentation must be doing well as it is becoming more popular. My question is. From a cooks point of view what are the advantages of cooking this cut?. thanx keith

Ashmont
07-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Besides presentation maybe trying to save a couple of dollars not cooking as much meat. Chicken is inexpensive but people are people!

Finney
07-27-2010, 07:40 AM
I wish you would have taken pictures of that.

Sledneck
07-27-2010, 07:44 AM
are you sure its not just them cutting off the knuckle end of the bone?

beerguy
07-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Was it skinless?

BBQ_Mayor
07-27-2010, 07:47 AM
^^^ that would be my guess as well. Maybe they go a little carried away with the cleaver when doing so.

butts a fire
07-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Maybe they had to cut it that way to fit in their muffin pans.

Sledneck
07-27-2010, 07:52 AM

great point

mobow
07-27-2010, 08:02 AM

That may be what they are doing. Is it mainly a presentation thing?

Goddahavit
07-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Is their anything in the Judging that weights the size and appearance of the chicken, as in same size, and shape?

Could be a reason?

Jeff Selle
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Could have been the size of the boxes... we'll cut off the knuckles to make the thighs fit nicely in th box

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-27-2010, 11:39 AM

That would be my guess.

watg?
07-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Who ever heard of such a crazy thing? and with chicken you say? :shocked:

TN_BBQ
07-27-2010, 03:40 PM

I think we have a winner.

I've seen/heard of folks doing this.

I prefer to buy n cook a dozen pieces and then select the best (most uniform in size, appearance, shape, etc.)

G$
07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
This past weekend I judged a contest where all six of my chicken samples were a half of a thigh. Looks like a meat cleaver is taken and the thigh bone is cut in half. It is then presented to look like a small thigh. I am assuming this presentation must be doing well as it is becoming more popular. My question is. From a cooks point of view what are the advantages of cooking this cut?. thanx keith

Wait a minute. Are you saying that every different entry all had these very trimmed thighs, or that all the thighs in one box had them?

I take 2 months off and standard convention for chicken changes again, :-P?

rookiedad
07-27-2010, 07:26 PM
what is the purpuse of leaving the little bit of bone in the thigh if you are going to go through the trouble of cutting off the knuckle. don't get me wrong, i did this too, trying to get uniform size and trying to get the skin to wrap all the way around on all sides, but it did not do well and leaves a good chance of a judge getting some bone chips in there. why not just debone the whole thing. how important is it to keep the bone in, from a judges point of view?

Contracted Cookers
07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
usually cut right at the backside of the knuckle to make them as uniform as possible. so you can square them up a little so you don't get the tear drop look

paulpoli
07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Do a majority of people use boneless thighs? or should I (a first-timer) consider leaving the bones in there?

roksmith
07-28-2010, 05:51 AM
We've done both bone-in and boneless this year.. I like the look of the boneless, but IMHO, taste and tenderness is better bone-in. Taste and Tenderness trumps looks every time.

Then again... my chicken always sucks.

mobow
07-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Wait a minute. Are you saying that every different entry all had these very trimmed thighs, or that all the thighs in one box had them?

I take 2 months off and standard convention for chicken changes again, :-P?

Yes,
I am saying that all six entries that I judged had used this technique. That is why it struck me as something to inquire about. keith

RobKC
07-28-2010, 07:49 AM
All 24 thighs I trimmed for last week already had a knuckle removed, uh broken off. It took me 2 hrs to make sure there were no fragments lodged in the meat. I don't like the mini-thigh look so I try to keep the pieces as large and natural looking as possible.

G$
07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes,
I am saying that all six entries that I judged had used this technique. That is why it struck me as something to inquire about. keith

Wow, thanks for the input Keith.

KnucklHed BBQ
07-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Why cant farkers just let chicken look like chicken???? swear to God, there ain't a thing that won't be tried... might as well put friggin nuggets in the farkin box.

Edit: might as well make 'em dinosaur shaped while you're at it.

Edit x 2: Farkers.

Coz
07-28-2010, 07:32 PM
All 24 thighs I trimmed for last week already had a knuckle removed, uh broken off. It took me 2 hrs to make sure there were no fragments lodged in the meat. I don't like the mini-thigh look so I try to keep the pieces as large and natural looking as possible.

Smart Chicken?

RobKC
07-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Smart Chicken?

You are correct sir.

Balls Casten
07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
we've been trying to form them to look like ribs.

Why cant farkers just let chicken look like chicken???? swear to God, there ain't a thing that won't be tried... might as well put friggin nuggets in the farkin box.

Edit: might as well make 'em dinosaur shaped while you're at it.

Edit x 2: Farkers.