PDA

View Full Version : Box scores... Fire away.

BBQchef33
07-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Just curious on the general populations scores on these boxes.. Fire away.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=2578

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=2579

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=2580

The Brisket got brushed and slices evened out after the picture was taken.. we just spooned aujus on top and it was puddling.. that was all evened out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=2581

Rich Parker
07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I really like the pork and ribs box. The chicken made me dizzy with the placement and I don't care for there color either.

Is that a half slice in the front of the brisket box or is that just the pic? Box looks a little sloppy for placement but once i get past that it looks nice and moist.

moocow
07-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I think the chicken and rib boxes look great. Not a fan of the pork box, to much in there for me although the pork looks great! Brisket is spread out to much in my opinion and the front piece is a little odd on the lower half. The meat itself looks mighty tasty!!

Boshizzle
07-20-2010, 06:50 PM
It's hard to see some details in the pics, but, based on them -

Chicken - 8 - The color reminds me of kidney beans.

Ribs - At least an 8 - Seeing them in person, I may give them a 9. The color is good, the cuts are nice and straight and I want to eat one.

Pork - 8 - It's hard to tell in the pic if what I'm seeing is dry meat with sauce on it in the lower right corner or just the pic.

Brisket - 8 - It looks really good but I see what looks in the pics like track marks.

It all looks good in the pics but I'm sure it all looks better than the pics show.

BBQchef33
07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
like I said, we evened out the brisket box. The slices were lined up, brushed evenly. The slices had both flat and point on them. Thats what u see on the face of the first slice. What looks like track marks was also puddling of aujus before we brushed them out.

Alexa RnQ
07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Every time we have tried diagonal presentation, we have received resoundingly poor scores. Your area's mileage may vary.

Sledneck
07-20-2010, 06:58 PM
your putting greens need alot of work

BBQchef33
07-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Every time we have tried diagonal presentation, we have received resoundingly poor scores. Your area's mileage may vary.

ink blot test.

In the chicken, do u see 3 rows of 3

or 1-2-3-2-1:becky:

BBQchef33
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM
your putting greens need alot of work

not if u completely cover them. :boxing:

Boshizzle
07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
like I said, we evened out the brisket box. The slices were lined up, brushed evenly. The slices had both flat and point on them. Thats what u see on the face of the first slice. What looks like track marks was also puddling of aujus before we brushed them out.

Ah, got it. Just going by the meat, it looks good. I don't get too hung up on how the meat is arranged. A beautiful arrangement means nothing if the meat looks dry, gray, or over sauced. That doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to it, I just don't score down because of the way the meat is arranged i.e., diagonally, circle, layered, etc. What matters to me is the meat.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
8 or 9 for sure on ribs and pork. Brisket probably a 7 as having both in our area isn't popular. Chicken probably an 8. Would like to see a little more uniform.

ZILLA
07-20-2010, 07:09 PM
You know I'm not a KCBS cook but I think that six pieces of your chicken in the same arrangement would look great centered in the box. I also think it's too dark.

The ribs look great.

The Pork Butt looks very appetizing but would look better with only six slices. I also think that cutting perhaps the bottom quarter or third off of each slice would let them sit lower in the tray and might look better in a cascade. If you then arranged the cascaded pieces in an arch peaking in the upper left corner there would be more room for medallions and pulled in the lower right corner.

Brisket, I'd suggest heating and straining the au jus to remove the small chunky's in there and then brushing it on for a more natural appearance. It drives me nuts when I get those on my slices. Those bite size chunks in the corners look a bit large to me.

Boshizzle
07-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I asked my wife (she is also a CBJ) to score your boxes. She gave you 8 all around but gave your chicken a 7. She said the color was too dark. She said she might give your pork a 9. She also mentioned that she didn't like the garnish.

Rich Parker
07-20-2010, 07:22 PM
ink blot test.

I didn't even see the 3 rows of 3 until you pointed it out. :)

Ron_L
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
I didn't look at any of the replies so I would be influenced. Remember, it's easy to be more critical with pictures since I can stare at them for a while.

Chicken - in the picture, 8. The chicken looks too dark. In person it could have been a 9

Ribs - 8 or 9. Going by the picture I had time to notice that the parsley is somewhat sloppy. I know I'm scoring the meat, but the parsley detracted from the appearance of the whole entry. In person probably a 9.

Pork - 7 or 8. The box looks somewhat sloppy and the big slices in the middle pull my eye away from the chunks and smaller (money muscle?) slices.

Brisket - 7 or 8. I know you said that it was cleaned up after the picture, but I gotta score what's in front of me :-D. I don't think I've seen brisket turned in with both flat and point in the same slice like that. Is that typical on the east coast? Also, are those grill marks on the right side of the front two slices? Also, I think the chunks are too big.

OK... Now I'm going to read the thread.

Candy Sue
07-20-2010, 07:58 PM

What she said! Diagonal has always killed me. Sometimes vertical too though. Right now, I think it's just my cooking stinks!

I think you're giving the judges too many choices, i.e., too much meat in the boxes.

Jacked UP BBQ
07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I like the chicken layout, just not the chicken with the finishing dust all over it. But what the hell do I know about chicken
Ribs look great
I am not a fan of slived pork with fat on it. JMO Also sauce drips on the slices
I think you are the man for leaving the point on the bottom on the slices. Beside the looks of beef gravy master for a sauce. I love the brisket.

Harbormaster
07-20-2010, 08:04 PM
ink blot test.

I saw a tic-tac-toe board. :thumb:

I'm no CBJ, but I slept on the couch last night, so...

Chicken - 8. I thought they were very even, but they had to be small to get 9 in a box.
Ribs - 8. I wanted one.
Pork - 7. Meh.
Brisket - 7. Looks like the burnt ends were an afterthought, and the front slice looks a little mangled. (Could be the hangover though.) I know you cleaned it up, just going by what I see.

boogiesnap
07-20-2010, 08:06 PM
your q presentation reminds me of rock n roll's "big sound". you're hitting alot of chords in a unique and exciting way very loudly. i like it alot. but...
chicken skin looks tough. i like the color though. i saw your rack get pulled out of the cooker myself this weekend and almost tripped over myself cuz these looked sooo darn good. pictures lie...an 8 for sure. there's alot of effort put in there and it shows.
ribs look excellent. nuff said. a 9.
pork looks a bit fatty on the edges in the pic, both on the large slices and the peices in the right corner. right up my alley for sure(fat is where the flavor is, butter make it better, on and on), but dunno about comp. stuff. not enough experience. i don't think the meat is supposed to hang over the edges either. how do you close the box? still looks tender and juicy. beautiful knife work. i'd give it a 9. i want to eat it, like now!
brisket, i don't think the diagonal works on this one. it gives too much view and focus on the torn end of the first slice and makes the box look a little sloppy with the burnt ends stuffed on top and bottom. they look like a)afterthoughts or b)thrown in. the meat itself sure looks tender and moist though, but the presentation distracts from that. definately an 8 no less cuz the meat itself looks so good.

JayAre
07-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I asked my wife (she is also a CBJ) to score your boxes. She gave you 8 all around but gave your chicken a 7. She said the color was too dark. She said she might give your pork a 9. She also mentioned that she didn't like the garnish.

TAADAA!!:doh:

Red Valley BBQ
07-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Chicken - 8
Does look a little crowded

Ribs - 8

Pork - 7
Looks tasty, but is very overcrowded.

Brisket - 7
Again looks tasty, but looks too crowded

More doesn't always translate into better. As a CBJ I like to see a full box that is neat and tidy.

Boshizzle
07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
TAADAA!!:doh:

Yeah, I gave her a little lecture on that one. Of course, she let it go in one ear and out the other. :becky: But, women judge things differently. You have to take that into consideration.

boogiesnap
07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I think you are the man for leaving the point on the bottom on the slices.

:clap::clap::clap:

Smokedelic
07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Chicken - I like the color, but don't care for the gritty finish....7

Ribs - A home run.....9

Pork - The family has outgrown the trailer, too much going on there.....7

Brisket - Great color, but strain the jus for a 9.....8

Mister Bob
07-20-2010, 08:59 PM
In my honest opinion, you need to work on your presentation. For instance, your putting greens could be neater. Your arrangements should be symmetrical, with all the pieces looking almost identical to each other and spaced perfectly. I don't love diagonal presentations, but that's a personal preference. The sauce should be neatly applied and should shine. The box should be as full as possible, but should show a border of the parsley and the border should be neat and tight and even. Each box should look like it's ready for a magazine cover and make you just HAVE to eat it.

You're asking for opinions, and opinions are subjective, but here are mine. I am a KCBS Certified Judge, and here's how I would score it and why:

The color of the chicken is dark and the skin on some of the pieces looks thick. The thighs are too small for my taste, maybe six bigger thighs would look better? The skin is shrunk back on some pieces and not on others. I don't love the shape of the pieces.
Appearance: 7

The ribs look good, with good color, but I think you're showing too much green and the green that shows is not tight and neat. The ribs are not all the same size and shape, but they all neatly cut and appear to come off the same rack.
Appearance: 8

The pork overfills the box, the arrangement is too random and the spacing on the slices is not perfiect. The parsley just pokes out here and there and is almost completely hidden. The sauce on the front piece is a little sloppy.

The spacing on your brisket slices is uneven and the edges don't line up perfectly. The front piece looks like it has a seam or fat line in it? The parsley is not neat and tight. I know you said you evened out the sauce, but I can only judge the picture.

With good scores in taste and tenderness, you could still do very well in a comp with these entries, but a little more effort in the presentation will improve your chances. Good luck!

bignburlyman
07-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Like Ron_L said, pictures you have more time to study and be critical, in a 10 second glance things have to jump out at you.

Chicken 8-9 I like the look, and how the chicken is prominent in the box, the lower right piece doesn't look as glazed as the others, may be just the pic.

Ribs 7-8 I don't care for the angle on these, the ribs look great good color, but it makes it hard to view, in my opinion.

Pork 7 The huge slices through the center draw the eye, even tho I usually like a full box, this is a little much. Hard to look at the chunks when all you see is the slices.

Brisket 8 It does look like there are grill marks on part of the right side of the first slice, color is good, they look like I would eat them.

Diva Q
07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Chicken, 9 I love that presentation it would make it stand out & it makes me want to eat it. Great color.
Ribs -8 I think the green is actually distracting. Its a bit of a mess with the different heights.
Pork-7 its really splotchy and there is so much going on I don't know where to look.
Brisket-9 (I am going to edit this and say I just want to eat them)

Meat@Slim's
07-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Are these from Troy?

Rub
07-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I didn't look at the other replies, and glanced at each pic for no more than 5 seconds.

8 - Chicken looks chocolaty but I like the layout.
9 - Ribs look great.
9 - Pork looks great, despite no pulled. :wink:
8 - Brisket looks great, would have been a 9 if not for the fat layer still in there.

thirdeye
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Pictures can be so deceiving, even the slighest angle can throw off the color...... based on that:

Chicken - Weak 8 - I think it's too dark. The arrangement is a plus, and keeps it an 8 for me.

Ribs - Strong 8 - They might look like a 9 in person as there is some glare there. The parsley bed could be tighter.

Pork - Weak 8 - The box ix crowded and I don't like the fat.

Brisket - Middle-of-the-road 8 - I like the burnt ends and the moistness of the slices. I would have liked to have seen the improved arrangement of the slices.

BBQchef33
07-20-2010, 10:28 PM
im loving this feedback.. very helpful.... this chit should be on the back of our judging slips. !

Keep it coming.. I just deleted a post with the scores for fear it would stop the thread.

heres some answers..

yes it was troy and i would have taken another picture after we cleaned up the brisket if my team wasnt screaming at me to GO GO GO GO! Scott sounded like George Michael.. :) Wake me UP before u go go..

thirdeye
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Turn%20In%20Boxes/PhilBrisket7-20-10.jpg

I knocked some of the glare off the photo, and sharpened it a hair.... now they look like a solid 9.

Here is the original.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=2579

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 07:27 AM
not if u completely cover them. :boxing:

well you didnt and they look like crap

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 07:37 AM
the chicken layout disturbs me. Reminds me of a 3-D stererogram. You know, one of the pictures of a colorful design that when staring at long enough another image appears

Big George's BBQ
07-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Chicken and ribs a 9. Pork and Brisket an 8

deguerre
07-21-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't even compete and can not give any score because I'm even less of a judge but...VISUALLY the rib presentation is outstanding. The chicken and pork boxes look too busy. I do like the brisket but not as much as the rib box. I'd not hesitate to eat any of them though!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
the chicken layout disturbs me. Reminds me of a 3-D stererogram. You know, one of the pictures of a colorful design that when staring at long enough another image appears

What place did you get in chicken????:heh:

BBQ_Mayor
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Chicken - 9
Ribs - 8
Pork - 8
Brisket - 7

Ribs- add more or align so you have even green area.
pork- looks like the box is giving birth. too much.
brisket - looks a mess.

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
What place did you get in chicken????:heh:

I believe it was 13 x 2, where did you finish in pork ? :boxing:

Jacked UP BBQ
07-21-2010, 08:08 AM
I believe it was 13 x 2, where did you finish in pork ? :boxing:

6th or 7th not sure!!!!!:hand:

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 08:16 AM
<----look at my avatar i found a pic of corky from the show life goes on recieving a bbq trophy

KC_Bobby
07-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Is it common in the Northeast to leave flat and point together for slices?

WannaBeBBQueen
07-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Not from what I've seen.

Ok, I agree the chicken looks a little dark and I'm not sure I like the placement. I figure an 8

The ribs I really like and would give an 8 the greens need to be more uniform.

The Pork box I would score a 7. I don't care for the look of the slices and there is sooo much in the box I'm not sure where to look.

The brisket looks great I'd give that a 9.

Here's our pork box.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/JMBred/9220b34ea772.jpg

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Not from what I've seen.

Ok, I agree the chicken looks a little dark and I'm not sure I like the placement. I figure an 8

The ribs I really like and would give an 8 the greens need to be more uniform.

The Pork box I would score a 7. I don't care for the look of the slices and there is sooo much in the box I'm not sure where to look.

The brisket looks great I'd give that a 9.

Here's our pork box.

For a second place that must of had some awesome taste and tenderness!:becky:

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Yes it is:wink:

WannaBeBBQueen
07-21-2010, 09:51 AM
For a second place that must of had some awesome taste and tenderness!:becky:

Gee I think I've just been insulted :shocked:

lets see yours :becky:

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Gee I think I've just been insulted :shocked:

lets see yours :becky: :heh::heh::heh:i wish i had a pic, if you recall because of a faulty clock i went a running to turn 5 minutes early.

Ron_L
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
N

Here's our pork box.

Do you remember the appearance scores for that box, Julie? Just curious...

WannaBeBBQueen
07-21-2010, 10:16 AM
do you remember the appearance scores for that box, julie? Just curious...
9 7 9 9 9 8

Diva Q
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
9 7 9 9 9 8

Wow. I have always been uber concerned with keeping the box as neat and tidy as possible. I may have to rethink that.

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Wow. I have always been uber concerned with keeping the box as neat and tidy as possible. I may have to rethink that.

I am with you on that

boogiesnap
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
mine with appearnce scores

Sledneck
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote regarding this thread that I heard this morning: " KC Folks must laughing at us"

BBQchef33
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Common, no.

I do IF it works.. If the flat is good at a point where the point is substantial, not too fatty and the fat layer is not to big. Its a cutting board decision. if it doesnt work, i slice it off.

works for me.

boogiesnap
07-21-2010, 11:04 AM
better pic

DawgPhan
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote regarding this thread that I heard this morning: " KC Folks must laughing at us"

lol.

Jacked UP BBQ
07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Maybe you should worry more about flavor and tenderness. Nice job swamp on the 2nd place pork!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM

I am with you on that

Do you remember the appearance scores for that box, Julie? Just curious...

Maybe you should worry more about flavor and tenderness! Nice job swamp.

pahutchens
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
reducing the scores to one static pictorial representation is a pain... but the best we can do unless people want to upload mpegs. Solid 8's with caveat of I've only judged 2 contests and in person if could swing a point

Chicken looked a little dark, crowded, seems to be a polarizing presentation from the other comments. I saw 3 rows
Ribs, almost the flip side they looked a little lonely in the box. Have no clue what I would recommend as an improvement
Pork looked overly crowded. 80% of the pork I've judged has just been a pile of pulled.
Brisket you addressed again some crowding

Hoss
07-21-2010, 12:34 PM

NRA4Life
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Chicken 8
Ribs 9
Pork 7 (too much in there for me)
Brisket 8

Bigmista
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
ink blot test.

I see 3 rows of 3. Never even saw 1-2-3-2-1 until you mentioned it.

Chicken box is my favorite. Pork is least favorite.

BBQ_Mayor
07-21-2010, 03:07 PM
9 7 9 9 9 8

:shocked:. Whole chit!. that would have been a 4 or 5 around here.

Slamdunkpro
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Chicken - Strong 8, Maybe a 9 in person
Ribs - 9
Pork - 5 - Has no visual appeal for me whatsoever. It looks like someone took half a pork roast off a buffet and plopped it on their plate over their salad.
Brisket - 7 Box is overcrowded, The odd slice in the front, and the garnish poking out from underneath is distracting. You'd get a better score from me if there was no garnish at all with the box being that full. Same for the pork..

Jacked UP BBQ
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
:shocked:. Whole chit!. that would have been a 4 or 5 around here.

depends on the table my friend.

Scottie
07-21-2010, 04:12 PM
To give my friends up in the NE a little credit... I've been nailed up in the NE on appearance scores and I would consider my boxes as immaculate... As Matt said. All depends on the table...

Paola Greg
07-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Ck 9
rb 8
pk 7
br 7

BBQchef33
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
did I mention these boxes were 6x6 instead of 9x9?

:)

kidding. :pound:

Westexbbq
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
good one:heh:

BRBBQ
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Chicken-7 maybe 8 the color throws me off, could be pic!
Ribs-8
pork-9
beef- 8-9

Rookie'48
07-22-2010, 12:11 AM
OK, I read the first page before responding, so here goes:

Chicken: 7 or 8 because of the color (too dark for me). I also didn't see the three rows until it was pointed out.

Ribs: A solid 8 in my book. Having one or two extra bones laying on thier sides so that the meat shows would make it a 9.

Pork: At least a 7, could be a 8 or 9 in person. Very "busy" & over crowded. A full box looks good but this one over did it.

Brisket: Judging what I see would give a 7 - judging after the fix-up would most likely bring an 8.

CTSmokehouse
07-22-2010, 10:19 AM
im loving this feedback.. very helpful.... this chit should be on the back of our judging slips. !

Keep it coming.. I just deleted a post with the scores for fear it would stop the thread.

heres some answers..

yes it was troy and i would have taken another picture after we cleaned up the brisket if my team wasnt screaming at me to GO GO GO GO! Scott sounded like George Michael.. :) Wake me UP before u go go..

I cheated....looked to see how you did at Troy...

Looks like the CBJ's liked your Brisket and Ribs a whole lot!!!

Personally I thought that your Dr. BBQ Class Chicken presentation was the BEST!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

MilitantSquatter
07-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I cheated....looked to see how you did at Troy...

Looks like the CBJ's liked your Brisket and Ribs a whole lot!!!

Personally I thought that your Dr. BBQ Class Chicken presentation was the BEST!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

you mean this one ??

CTSmokehouse
07-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Thank you Vinny!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

You made me smile and laugh for the first time in a long while... just lost my Dad recently..

I took that pic..

That was a great experience...

Thanks,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW Dr. BBQ 's chicken looks alot darker than Phils, his pales in comparison..!!!!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Is that Dr BBQ's chicken box from a class he taught?

BRBBQ
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
you mean this one ??
DQ, only 4 piece's of raw chicken in the box:becky:

Yakfishingfool
07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm...did we mention that the weather was brutally hot and the parsley really lousy? Yeah, and a hurrican came through, and the boxes shrunk in the moisture...and...and.......