PDA

View Full Version : Samples for purchase at comp?

Scottie
07-20-2010, 12:00 PM
A contest organizer is looking for ideas for ways to attrack folks to their contest. They have done a PC chili and also have done buck a bone ribs... Have any of you done any pulled pork samples (like 3 oz samples) at any contests? what did you charge and how much? They want to try and get the paying crowd involved more with the competitors.

My suggestion is the pulled pork, but need ideas on size and cost?

Thanks.

Rub
07-20-2010, 12:05 PM
We sell a 2 oz sample cup of pulled pork for a dollar all day long.
Then they turn around and buy a pp sandwich for $5...POW - $6 in the bank :becky:

Alexa RnQ
07-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Sampling out here is usually restricted to 2oz due to HD regs. We find that it fits nicely in a 3.5oz paper souffle cup from Smart&Final, with plenty of headroom left to stick in a fork and a drizzle of sauce from a squirt bottle. Sample tickets are usually $2, of which varying proportions returns to the team depending on the event.

Scottie
07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I should of also mentioned that they would like to try and keep this at $1 samples.... If that is feasible. Not for the cooks to get rich, but to assist the organizer, cover costs and make a little bit of money for the teams...

Stoke&Smoke
07-20-2010, 01:53 PM
A contest organizer is looking for ideas for ways to attrack folks to their contest. They have done a PC chili and also have done buck a bone ribs... Have any of you done any pulled pork samples (like 3 oz samples) at any contests? what did you charge and how much? They want to try and get the paying crowd involved more with the competitors.

My suggestion is the pulled pork, but need ideas on size and cost?

Thanks.

How about pulled pork on Hawaiian rolls? 2-3 oz. meat, rolls can be inexpensive from the right supplier. dole 'em out with a small scoop. Could probably bring 1-2 bucks each? Like pork sliders, but better than White Castle

Jacked UP BBQ
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
No sandwiches, it kills the vendors!! Scottie are you talking about LP? I was in contact with him about the PP option. I think it is a great idea for the teams to let them sample the PP and Ribs. They should do it all in the same 2 hours. I think it would work out great.

JD McGee
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
We do quite a few comps where the sponsor provides extra meats for the teams to cook for public sampling...usually pork butt and brisket...sometimes ribs. We usually serve pulled or chopped butt and sliced brisket.

Scottie
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes for Dmitry. I agree about the sandwiches. Doing pulled pork would be more than enough work... then add some ribs to it and We'd be busy... Or should I say, my girls would be busy...

Jacked UP BBQ
07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I would tell him to do $3 sample plates. You get a sample of pork and a rib for $3 for two hours. It would be great and really easy for the teams. Or at least easier.