PDA

View Full Version : Goin' to Memphis for the week end

dapittboss
07-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey guys. So I'm going to Memphis or Jackson (or probably both) this weekend and was wondering if anyone could recomend a good restaurant. I figure I only have one or two meals so I want to make it count.

deguerre
07-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Hey guys. So I'm going to Memphis or Jackson (or probably both) this weekend and was wondering if anyone could recomend a good restaurant. I figure I only have one or two meals so I want to make it count.
The BBQ Shop on Madison Ave in Memphis is Pretty good. Cozy Corner on N. Parkway is also very good (neighborhood is iffy after sundown).

Gatordawg
07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Well you have plenty of options in Memphis for sure. There are the old standards like Central BBQ and then the Rendevous but I will leave the better spots there to the guys that live there.

In Jackson, I think the top spot is Cajun Cookers, Memphis in May winners! It is actually in North Jackson in Three-Way, off of Hwy 45 Bypass!

Another Jackson spot is Latham's BBQ on North Highland. It is good but Cajun is betterr I think.

There are some other spots in town like Backyard BBQ, Reggies, Pig House, etc.. but I lump those into the normal BBQ pick up spots. Backyard has a great stuffed potato, Reggies is my least fav in town, and Pig House is one of my favs but it is a drive thru and great for that.

Cajun Cookers is a legit spot on the BBQ stop list. Of course you aren't far from Lexington with Smith's and even better in our area is a small community called Jack's Creek with Jack's Creek BBQ! It is my favorite pulled pork in our area.

Hope this helps in the Jackson area. I have worn every place out in town over the last 12+ years that we have lived here and last 20+ I have been coming up here from TX when we lived there.

Good luck and let us know what you think if you actually get a chance to drop in and eat.

dapittboss
07-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Gatordawg, thanks for all the great info. We really have no specific destination in mind, a friend and I both have the weekend off and thought we would go on a little hunt for some que. We're in Bowling Green, KY so we figured Memphis would be a good spot to check out.

Deguerre, thank you, too.

I'll deff. post back afterwords!

MattB
07-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Pig on Beale has great ribs. I think they got 1st place ribs at Memphis in May this year. I was up there a few weeks ago and gave them a shot. Awesome. Germantown commissary is very good too. Their pulled turkey breast is interesting.

BIGBrandon2785
07-17-2010, 03:48 AM
I visited Memphis a while ago and tryed Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ and I was not really impressed??The ribs were chewy and the brisket was dry.I did try the BBQ Nachos and they were pretty decent.

I also tryed a bar&grill called Westie's,that place was great.Best catfish and redbeans & rice I ever had.

dapittboss
07-17-2010, 07:08 AM
I visited Memphis a while ago and tryed Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ and I was not really impressed??The ribs were chewy and the brisket was dry.

That's the frustrating part. There are so many places to choose from and if you search you can find positive reviews on all these places. I'm figuring "the Brethren" is the best review filter there is!

BBQ Grail
07-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Stay away from Interstate BBQ worst food I"ve ever had.

Gus's Fried Chicken in my opinion is a must.

BIGBrandon2785
07-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Stay away from Interstate BBQ worst food I"ve ever had.

Gus's Fried Chicken in my opinion is a must.
Yeah it was pretty bad.I was wanting to try a place called "Corky's BBQ" but my uncle kept insisting on Interstate BBQ??

And yeah,every review I read said Interstate was the best.

tremman78
07-19-2010, 03:50 AM
X2 on central bbq and gus's fried chicken

getyourrubonbbq
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
The BBQ Shop on Madison Ave in Memphis is Pretty good. Cozy Corner on N. Parkway is also very good (neighborhood is iffy after sundown).

I'd hit the Cozy Corner for lunch.

Warthog
07-20-2010, 09:05 AM
My top rated place is the BBQ Shop. Ribs were great and we liked the BBQ spaghetti. The wife and I loved it. Went back a second time. Gus's Fried Chicken was good but for all the raving I have had chicken just as good in other places.

deguerre
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Curious now where you went and what you thought pitboss.

dapittboss
07-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Well we were lucky enough to hit three places. We had ribs with beans and slaw at all three places.

First stop was Pig on Beale. This ended up being my favorite of the three. The ribs had just enough bite, not too fall off the bone. Good smoke flavor all the way to the bone. They had two sauces, a sweet and a spicy. I liked the spicy. Then we walked to Rendezvouis. Right away I felt like this place was trying too hard to look like a good ol' down home BBQ joint. The ribs weren't bad, but had nowhere near the flavor or consistancy of the others. I won't be going there again any time soon to put it nicely. Lastly we went to Neeleys which I thought was pretty good. We ordered them dry rubbed with sauce on the side. Pretty good spicy taste cooked just about how I like them. Neeleys gave us the most meat for the buck. The sauce tasted like it had too much of a honey taste for me though.

We definately want to go back and try a few more places, it was a lot of fun.

GreasePig
07-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Well we were lucky enough to hit three places. We had ribs with beans and slaw at all three places.

First stop was Pig on Beale. This ended up being my favorite of the three. The ribs had just enough bite, not too fall off the bone. Good smoke flavor all the way to the bone. They had two sauces, a sweet and a spicy. I liked the spicy. Then we walked to Rendezvouis. Right away I felt like this place was trying too hard to look like a good ol' down home BBQ joint. The ribs weren't bad, but had nowhere near the flavor or consistancy of the others. I won't be going there again any time soon to put it nicely. Lastly we went to Neeleys which I thought was pretty good. We ordered them dry rubbed with sauce on the side. Pretty good spicy taste cooked just about how I like them. Neeleys gave us the most meat for the buck. The sauce tasted like it had too much of a honey taste for me though.

We definately want to go back and try a few more places, it was a lot of fun.

Hmmm. I'd like to hear more about your Rendevous experience...

Also, did you go to Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ or to the Neely's BBQ from Food Network?

Glad you liked Pig! I'm gonna have to hit that next time over!

dapittboss
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Re: Rendezvous, it may have been the sign that says charcoal ribs but for some reason I just had a feeling something was a little bit off. I'm not even really sure why. After walking around down town all day my head was filled with images of large wood burning pits. The food wasn't bad. And the Neeleys we went to was NOT Interstate BBQ, it was the one from the FN. That place was very good I thought. It was filled with locals, a lot of friendly people. Rendesvous seemed to be filled with tourists. I guess I could be wrong but that was my take. I'm certainly no expert :-)

BIGBrandon2785
07-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Re: Rendezvous, it may have been the sign that says charcoal ribs but for some reason I just had a feeling something was a little bit off. I'm not even really sure why. After walking around down town all day my head was filled with images of large wood burning pits. The food wasn't bad. And the Neeleys we went to was NOT Interstate BBQ, it was the one from the FN. That place was very good I thought. It was filled with locals, a lot of friendly people. Rendesvous seemed to be filled with tourists. I guess I could be wrong but that was my take. I'm certainly no expert :-)
Yeah I heard Neely's is good.Jim Neely's Interstate wasent the greatest

deguerre
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Rendesvous seemed to be filled with tourists. I guess I could be wrong but that was my take. I'm certainly no expert :-)
You would be correct. You don't go there for the food, you go just to say you've been.