PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay a photographer?

cmcadams
07-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Would any teams out there pay for a photographer or for photos at their site during a competition, including during awards? I'm talking about better photos than just snapshots.

I'm thinking that, if I'm not competing, I could still get to some comps if I could at least pay for the trip, and I could do that if several teams bought a couple photos each, or if a couple of teams paid for time periods, including turn ins. Turn in time would probably be a set fee, with a guaranteed number of photos. I'm working on pricing, but I just wondered what people thought of the idea.

I know a lot of teams would not care, but some might, especially at comps like Best of the Best and the Jack.

timzcardz
07-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Curt,

An intersting idea.

I personally wouldn't make a commitment up front, but would peruse and purchase after the fact if available online.

I'm talking about the type of situation that is used with many youth sports tournaments.

http://www.lispn.com/ is a company that I have dealt with in the past when I ws running a youth soccer tournment with 250 teams. They would be on site for the two days shooting constantly, and if I recall correctly they may shoot 100,000 photos over the weekend, trying to get each player on each team. Then at the end you could view on site (they had computers with monitors on site) and purchase, or afterwards review online and order. Obviously there isn't that much "action" in BBQ to warrant that number of photos, but the same principle could be applied on a smaller scale, handing out cards and doing it all online.

If you go to their site and create and account you can view all of the photos and how their ordering system works.

Mind you, as a contracted vendor they paid us, the tournament, a flat rate plus a percentage of sales.

I've also seen it done on a smaller scale at horse shows.

P.S. A few select compromising late night shots and your weekend is paid for . . . over and over again! :wink:

ThomEmery
07-14-2010, 07:27 AM
There was a guy selling cds of the contests out here
purchase was a option when you signed up on the entry form

cmcadams
07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
I thought about the blackmail aspect, and realized Brethren Bashes may be the best place for that, other than the fact that most brethren are proud of their personal perversions.

I am aware of the model you're talking about, but was thinking more of doing a small fee upfront to ensure I get a set number of photos per team that contracts for them. The fee would include full usage rights. The main difference is that, in youth sports, all parents want photos of their kids. I have a friend that does a similar thing at dog events... everyone wants photos of their dogs. But, with 40 teams at a comp, their may only be 3-4 teams that are even interested. Most first time teams, and lots of the locals that show up, likely won't be at a point to want to buy photos from that model, I don't think.

So a team could contract me to guarantee, say 5 good photos for them at a set fee, then could pay $x per photo above that. If they wanted shots during turn ins, including boxes, etc., that would be an additional fee, as they'd be the only team getting my services during that time.

Here are some examples of a few shots I took for Diva Q: http://divaq.ca/kettering-ohio-competition-and-the-photography-of-curt-mcadams-livefireonline-com

ThomEmery
07-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a good idea
What format would you use to get the pictures to the teams?

The Anchorman
07-14-2010, 08:55 AM
What are you shooting with Curt?
DSLR? Lens?
your shots are great!

Smokesman
07-14-2010, 09:28 AM
We would certainly be interested especially at Madison which we are planning a bit of shindig to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary but also for promotional pics since we are starting to get into some catering. Cost is key as this is not an inexpensive hobby.

cmcadams
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd put photos on CDs at the site, or allow them to review online later and either mail them CD's or allow downloading from a private site. I could also have prints made if they wanted.

Thanks, Ray.. I use a Nikon dslr, and, usually, a Sigma 30mm f1/4 lens, though I also use an ultra wide angle, and will be getting a 70-200mm vr f2.8 zoom, especially if I get any traction doing this. It will allow me to get some close-in shots at awards, etc. that would be much better than the point and shoot shots we all see.

cmcadams
07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Matt,

I understand cost is key, which is the balance to hit... Talent isn't free, either; I'll have to be able to get a certain amount of money out of it to be worth my while. The flip side is to think what it's worth to have more professional looking materials to use for promotion. People will pay $200 and up for a cartoon logo, then use poor photos; I don't see the sense of that, personally. For photog work, the price includes time as well as ability. And I also have to get there, so my costs aren't that low, either. It's not like buying a logo where someone sits in their home doing the work (not that logos aren't worth the money), but I have to be on site, making a bunch of ugly barbecuers look their best. :)

Dustaway
07-14-2010, 09:52 AM
In texas their are a couple of photographers that come out to most of the larger events 40 plus teams and take pictures of teams and sell them at awards usually around ten bucks and you get a hard copy of the picture and they will give you a card and then you can go and download the other picture if you want to.

Podge
07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
I think it's a great Idea ! My wife is a photographer, and being part of the team, she can't take pictures. Fortunately, her freind was with us at Kettering last weekend, who is also a photographer, and we finally have some great pics of us at a contest...

Scottie
07-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I think it's a great Idea ! My wife is a photographer, and being part of the team, she can't take pictures. Fortunately, her freind was with us at Kettering last weekend, who is also a photographer, and we finally have some great pics of us at a contest...

Maybe Chris can take pictures of other teams then? Preferably right at turn-in? I could name a few that she could hit at Madison... :thumb:

I know for sure her shots would be awesome. Although, I think to make mine look good, she would need a grizzly or black bear eating my chicken. At least the bear would look good! :becky:

Alexa RnQ
07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
We would, and often have! We've had multiple models presented to us, both the option of purchasing an entire CD of the event (usually $10 + ship) or being able to get images from a downloading source online for a fee. Since we use photos on our website, the one that only offered the option of buying prints was the least desirable to us.

Having a good photographer onsite is a luxury that we're happy to utilize!

cmcadams
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Madison, IN, isn't too far away... Maybe I'll do some prelim work to get some interest, then just try it from there.

Candy Sue
07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
In texas their are a couple of photographers that come out to most of the larger events 40 plus teams and take pictures of teams and sell them at awards usually around ten bucks and you get a hard copy of the picture and they will give you a card and then you can go and download the other picture if you want to.

I love that too. The picture ends up on a poster sized print that identifies the contest etc. Great for the brag wall.

Rich Parker
07-14-2010, 11:40 AM

I like this idea and would like to get the photos of the award ceremony.

Pig Headed
07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
At the Middletown, DE comp this year, there was a photographer who had a number of assistants and they took over 3,000 pics of the comp. They had a package price and also you could buy any of the pics posted on their website afterwards. Here's their link for you to get an idea of what they did.

www.photosbytnt.com (http://www.photosbytnt.com)

Click on events, then 2010, then Middletown BBQ Cookoff. I would assume that the teams who were listed bought the package. I know my wife did. We usually take a lot of photos ourselves, so I don't know if I would do it again, but there were shots we wouldn't have gotten because we were busy.

JD McGee
07-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I would not personally...but we are very fortunate to have Michael (Northwest BBQ) snappin' pics for us...he's a most excellent pic taker! :becky:

cmcadams
07-15-2010, 06:05 AM
so those that buy the "package" at a comp, are you getting close up, detailed photos of your own site/food, or just the event overall?

The main difference I think I offer that others photogs don't usually is, like the links given, they're not food people or food photographers. It's a different way of shooting, and the photos I'd do would include full rights for use if done by reservation, as I'd be taking shots of that specific team, doing prep, etc. These could be used for promotional materials, websites, etc., where most of the "buy this cd" photos tend to not be giving full rights of use.

Dustaway
07-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Curt- What you are getting is good quality team pictures and often times prize pictures very seldom food pic's unless you ask seems like the always want to do the ribs?

rookiedad
07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
i like the idea of being able to buy the pictures later and decide what format i wanted them in. you could also do some special effects on them to make them more interesting and bring a video camera to sell tapes of the whole event.

pahutchens
07-15-2010, 01:29 PM
The main difference I think I offer that others photogs don't usually is, like the links given, they're not food people or food photographers. It's a different way of shooting, and the photos I'd do would include full rights for use if done by reservation, as I'd be taking shots of that specific team, doing prep, etc. These could be used for promotional materials, websites, etc., where most of the "buy this cd" photos tend to not be giving full rights of use.

I would suspect that at turn in time things would get real hectic and you would really have to limit yourself to how many teams you could do. Having a 'booth' that they could run by on the way to turn in could be an option. But one late entry would torpedo the works...

The process and event type images would go more easily.

cmcadams
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I would suspect that at turn in time things would get real hectic and you would really have to limit yourself to how many teams you could do. Having a 'booth' that they could run by on the way to turn in could be an option. But one late entry would torpedo the works...

The process and event type images would go more easily.

Turn in time would be limited to 1 team, and I'd do it in a way that I'm out of the way. I just did this last weekend, with Diva Q, and I don't think I caused any delays at all. I may have even been helpful here and there.

Pig Headed
07-15-2010, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=cmcadams;1337701]so those that buy the "package" at a comp, are you getting close up, detailed photos of your own site/food, or just the event overall?

If you bought the package, you got a disc of just your team, with close ups and others and a disc of the rest of the event. Probably close to 750 pictures, but then they had 4 or 5 photographers.

Diva Q
07-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Turn in time would be limited to 1 team, and I'd do it in a way that I'm out of the way. I just did this last weekend, with Diva Q, and I don't think I caused any delays at all. I may have even been helpful here and there.

I can attest he did not cause any delays. Plus he was quite helpful. The process was painless and more than anything really fun. It was interesting to see the end results and the composition of the pictures. I know we are very pleased with all of them.

cmcadams
07-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Danielle. :)

Two things I bring that are different as a photog... I compete, so I know what's going on and when to get out of the way, etc., and I photograph food more than anything else.